• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
After the recent liberations the American campaign continued apace. In Europe, The Germans were trying desperately to hold onto Poland and East Prussia, but it did not look like they would be able to hold them. Patton was keeping up his lightning campaign and refused to let up the pressure on the Germans, as he was convinced that as soon as he did, the gains would be reversed. In Southern Europe, Hungary, one of three countries, along with Italy and Bulgaria, that had dominated Southern Europe for close to 15 years, was collapsing quickly. The only question now was what to do with Hungary after the imminent collapse.
In the Middle East, the Campaign remained stalemated. Even the constant flow of African troops was not enough to create a breakthough. Clark therefore began waiting for the arrival of American forces in Southern Europe advancing into Turkey. He hoped that these would enable him to make a breakthrough.
t9gw0j.jpg

In Asia the situation remained the same. Japan and Germany still dominatedt he mainland. Plans for the invasion of India were not progressing as fast as had been hoped, but they had not yet been abandoned. Clark was also given a very specific order. If he was able to break into Persia, he was not to advance into India immediately. He was to prevent the Germans from doing so while the invasion went in. Then, he would wait for orders from Bradley on when to go in. There was now no doubt in Clark's mind that his theater, which had once been the main theater of war, and had been looked to as a potential breakthrough area, had become a sideshow.
nmc0tt.jpg

In the Pacific, MacArthur's campaign had stalled due to a lack of both convoy's and transports. However, plans were being drawn up for the liberation of Indonesia to commence soon.
25089z4.jpg

After the liberation of Czechoslovakia, the Americans continued their invasion of Poland. Prezmysal was attacked and fell without hardly any resistance at all.
2ecjc3r.jpg

In Scandinavia, the Americans caught a rather large German fleet and engaged it.
s5uts6.jpg

The result was a crushing victory for the Americans
xnrvus.jpg

While this was going on, Danzig and Elbing had fallen and Torun, serving as the temporary capital of Germany in East Prussia, was attacked while the attack was initially successful, the arrival of reinforcements eventually force Patton to temporarily call off the advance towards the city.
nbcdq9.jpg

In Southern Europe, Eisenhower continued his relentless advance across Hungary, which showed no signs of being stopped anytime soon. He also began attacks on Bulgaria with an attack on Nis.
With the failures of these attacks, Eisenhower focused less of his attention on Hungary, which was essentially a non-entity by this point, focusing more of his attention on Bulgaria.
With Eisenhower stepping up attacks on Italy and Bulgaria, neither nation could hope to hold up long term. The invasion began from Croatia with two attacks from Podogirca. One attack aimed for Pristina, the other headed for Tirana, the former capital of Albania, which had seen almost 20 years of Axis occupation. Both attacks were successes.
2wo9aax.jpg

Another attack was also made on Nis that this time succeeded in taking the city.
30bn49e.jpg

While this was going on, the campaign in Poland also continued apace.
attacks were launched on Lvov, Lublin, Stanislawaw, and Kowel. All of these attacks succeeded in taking their objectives.
30ucyvq.jpg

Radom was also attacked, and soon after, it would fall.
This was accompanied with an attack on Konigsberg which succeeded in taking the city for the Americans, with a small garrison being left behind to eventually assist Patton in the seizure of Torun.
23tm5vp.jpg

Back in the Balkans, Pristina had fallen, revealing to the American's shock that three of the surrounding provinces, including the Bulgarian capital, Sofia, were completely undefended. Not wanting to waste this opportunity, an attack was immediately ordered on all three.
Back in Poland, Warsaw was now attacked. While initially succeeding, the rushing in of reinforcements stopped the attack.
v8q5mr.jpg

Patton thernefore ordered that the units in neighboring provinces, which were still advancing, to advance to cut off the provinces of Lomza, Torun, and Warsaw, therefore enabling the powerful forces there to be surrounded and captured.
Meanwhile, in Bulgaria, an attack was launched on Craiova by General Murphy's men. However, his men were so exhausted and his regiments so worn down, that the attack failed. He was then ordered to rest and reinforce his men. (seriously, it never ceases to amaze me how the AI lets there units get worn down to nothing all the time. The same thing happened to the British at one point to.)
21ju9u9.jpg

Meanwhile, Stip had fallen and the Americans continued their advance to Gorzna Duzhumaya
20rtzf5.jpg

Then, after realizing there was nothing else left to do, the Hungarian government offered unconditional surrender to the Americans which the Americans happily accepted.
2ylv81g.jpg

The brief reign of Hungary as one of the Suzerain states of the Balkans was now over. The only question that remained, was what to do with Transylvania. In the end, the question was shelved, as was the issue of what to do with Hungary, until a proper plebiscite could be held, after Romania had been liberated.

Last edited:
That map of Asia scares me. It seems that this might last a few more years.

Too bad your computer won't allow you to make an event that would cause Japan to annex most of the German-tag controlled areas. That'd be funny as Hell.

Thanks so much!

Good luck!

IDK what's up with the Hungary thing - also, expect that Transylvania in toto will be given to Romania. Yes, much of it is ethnically Hungarian or German, but Romania is the innocent occupied power here, and Hungary will not be rewarded for her aggression.

Montenegro should not be Croation. If you're not planning to restore her independence, she belongs with Serbia - whose religion and alphabet she shares - more plausibly than Croatia.

Hungary...

Now you see it...

Now you don't...

:confused:

That was something that slipped through. It is now fixed.

IDK what's up with the Hungary thing - also, expect that Transylvania in toto will be given to Romania. Yes, much of it is ethnically Hungarian or German, but Romania is the innocent occupied power here, and Hungary will not be rewarded for her aggression.

Montenegro should not be Croation. If you're not planning to restore her independence, she belongs with Serbia - whose religion and alphabet she shares - more plausibly than Croatia.

The reason for that is that Croatia began annexing all the territories I invaded from their territory. I had to reload at one point because they annexed Tirana when I invaded it from their territory.

The reason for that is that Croatia began annexing all the territories I invaded from their territory. I had to reload at one point because they annexed Tirana when I invaded it from their territory.

Worth modding if you can... it seems odd.

Also, great update as usual.

Very good stuff, nice to see the Axis hold in Europe slipping yet further. In Asia however, it looks as if the war will have to grind on for a good few years before finally victory can be achieved.

Is this dead? I really hope not, as this is my favorite AAR. Just sayin'.

Is this dead? I really hope not, as this is my favorite AAR. Just sayin'.

No it is not dead. It is merely in hibernation. I have been busy with school and exam week is next week plus I have had other distractions that have not allowed me to play that much. I have already said I will not allow this AAR to die and I always keep my promises.

Good news to all of my loyal fans. I am now done with School for the summer. Translation, I now have much more free time. What that means for you is that I will probably update more and more frequently. As a matter of fact, I plan to have at least one update up by the end of next week

Worth modding if you can... it seems odd.

Also, great update as usual.

I will have them release Montenegro once the war ends. I have issues with modding my game, and therefore have avoided it like the plague unless absolutely necessary.

Very good stuff, nice to see the Axis hold in Europe slipping yet further. In Asia however, it looks as if the war will have to grind on for a good few years before finally victory can be achieved.

It sure does look like that. The landings in India, with the advance through Persia providing a distraction, and the eventual landings in China and Siberia should speed things up a bit though.

Good thing you don't have to sort out the borders of the Balkans just yet- there's still the war against Germany as a comparitively nice gentle starter to ease you into things.

IT indeed is a good thing I do not have to sort those out.

First off:

Subscribed.

Secondly:

I wish to state that General Murphy and his Irish Corps are a credit to the Irish Nation *Salutes*

Thirdly:

Can we expect a US landing in Russia via Alaska to begin the liberation of Russia and relieving of China?

He has served admirably. He has served since The Iberian Campaign. However, it is still ridiculous how badly he let his men get mauled.

Great news. Im a big fan of this AAR!

why thank you .

Hungary had surrendered. That left only Italy and Bulgaria in the Balkans. While they might have once been powers to be reckoned with, those days were now gone. Italy had lost its homeland and most of its empire and it had taken a mighty effort on their part to stop Clark in the Middle East. However, with the Balkans falling and falling fast, the Middle Eastern forces looked to be about to be attacked from two fronts, and their were serious doubts about the Italians ability to win in that situation. Bulgaria had never been anything more then a regional power and without massive support from the Wehrmacht, it had no hope to hold out for long. While Hitler might have wanted to provide that support, he and his government-in-exile in Moscow simply lacked the manpower and the resources to provide it. They were slowly but surely being pushed back to what had once been the Russian border and were faced with the proposition of defending land that had once belonged to their most hated rival. The Wehrmacht was thus on its last legs and barely able to defend German held lands itself, let alone offer meaningful support to Bulgaria. Thus, the war in the Balkans seemed to be decided, and with it, the war in Europe would soon be decided as well.
That war was progressing on pace, as Tirana, what had once been the capital of Albania, had just fallen to the Allies.
11ujfqw.jpg

However, events in the Balkans, which had become little more then a routine of advance for the allies, by a much more fortuitous event in Poland. The Germans ability to stop the allied advance in a few places had provided the Americans with a unique opportunity. They had created a massive salient anchored on the cities of Torun, Lomza, and the former Polish capital of Warsaw.
25txbep.jpg

If the towns of Bielsk and Suwalki could be taken, therefore, this salient, and all the troops therein, would be trapped and could be destroyed at the allies leisure. This was a huge opportunity, as their were 17 divisions in the salient and Hitler was stubbornly refusing to abandon it. He hoped against hope that the Salient might be able to hold out. He was hoping to bleed the Americans in this action and therefore provide something for the battered Wehrmacht to rally behind. If these men could hold the Americans, he hoped that it would inspire the rest of the Wehrmacht and give them the time they needed to create a solid defensive position and once again halt what had quickly become an allied Blitzkrieg.
While this was happening, attention was temporarily drawn back to the Balkans by a rather fortuitous event. Eisenhower announced the liberation of Albania on December 18, 1957.
2zp5rsw.jpg

In addition to the territories it had held prior to the war, the Albanians were also given the territory of Kosovo, which was inhabited by a majority of Albanians. This would later be met by great criticism by the Serbian government, which believed the region to be the birthplace of their nation. However, Truman vehemently defended his decision saying that claims based purely on perception did not hold up to the fact that the majority of the population was not Serbian and that their was therefore no legal justification in Serbia gaining the territory rather then it going to Albania.
Back in Poland, efforts to cut off the salient continued. In tandem with this effort, the allied commanders also ordered offensives into Rowne.
21bp56f.jpg

Soon afterwords, Suwalki fell.
2dhflo6.jpg

The men in the salient were now in an incredibly perilous position
To try and tighten the noose, General McNair ordered his men to advance on Bialystok.
2di0xv9.jpg

on January 1st, Bielsk fell and the 17 divisions still within the salient were now trapped. This was a small disaster for the Germans, as they needed every available man to defend their positions in Russia. The loss of 17 divisions would thus present a grievous loss of men that the German Army, in its current condition, could ill afford.
mtuk4x.jpg

The Americans then begin the effort to annihilate the men trapped in this pocket, as they launch an attack on the city of Warsaw.
6h2syq.jpg

In the midst of these operations, however, all eyes are again briefly drawn to the Balkans by the announcement of the liberation of Serbia.
igg7kz.jpg

Many Serbs at the time bewailed the new, smaller Serbian borders. They could not understand why the state of Yugoslavia had not been restored. Truman, however, understood perfectly and explained it very well to them. As he put it, the old state of Yugoslavia, while claiming to be a union of all South Slavic people, had never been anything more then an extended Serbia. It had been ruled over by a Serbian King and its government had been dominated by Serbs. Truman saw evidence of the weakness of this state in the rapidness with which the Germans had conquered the country. Indeed, he feared that if such a state had been recreated with such a legacy, it would be a shaky creation at best. He therefore feared that the recreation of the state of Yugoslavia could only lead to bloodshed. This explanation and the new national borders, he argued, would have to do for the Serbians.
Soon after, Bulgaria, once one of the suzerain states of the Balkans, formally surrendered to the allies (sorry, forgot to take a screenshot of this). This was a humbling blow to the Bulgarians, who had been force to be reckoned with in the area for some time. This coincided with the near total collapse of resistance in Greece, which was expected to be liberated soon. With the fall of Istanbul as well, it was now only a matter of time before Allied forces poured into Turkey.
Back in Poland, the final nail was about to be hammered into what had come to be called "the Torun Pocket".
243jnlt.jpg

Patton, with Auchinlech as his second in command (seriously, why does the game always give the British generals command during offensives) personally led the attack on the 17 divisions now trapped in Torun. Surrounded, demoralized, and running low on ammunition and supplies, the outcome was never in doubt. With his ammunition stores all but exhausted and after putting up a brave but ultimately fruitless resistance, General van Manstein surrendered his forces to Patton. Thus, Poland fell into American hands. The way into Russia was now open.

Patton, with Auchinlech as his second in command (seriously, why does the game always give the British generals command during offensives) personally...

I suspect there might be a European bias, considering this game was made in Europe.

Just a theory.

I suspect there might be a European bias, considering this game was made in Europe.

Just a theory.

Its as good as any theory I have. Hey, maybe if Sweden starts sending men, their generals will always get the command. The only other theory I have is that it is something hardcoded into the game where the British are supposed to be the warleader of the Allies, so, therefore, their generals always lead.

and only 6 years left :(

That is true, however, I think the war will be over by then. Indeed, provided it ends before Truman runs for re-election (a big if, considering Asia), I have some pretty interesting after war stuff planned.

The Balkans had all but fallen, Poland was in Allied hands, and Turkey was soon to be invaded from the West. Things were not looking good for the Axis. Indeed, Patton and Clark estimated that Italy could be out of the war completely by the end of July. This was not wishful thinking. Italy had had one foot in the grave since the fall of Italy proper to the Americans. Now, it seemed, the other leg was tottering on the edge of falling in as well. If Italy capitulated, it would be an utter disaster for the Germans. Italian troops were a major part of the forces keeping Clark contained in the Middle East. If they surrendered, it could, and most likely would, mean that all obstacles in Clark's path of advance would be removed. If that happened, Clark and his men would be able to drive deep into Russia and Persia, an even threaten India. However, unbeknownst to the Germans, Clark was under strict orders not to enter India. The Allies planned to use Clark and his men to lure out the Germans, just as the Germans had used the Italians to lure out the British during their own invasion of India. Then, when the Germans moved to block their advance, thus emptying India of any troops that might be stationed their, Bradley would launch his invasion. That was the plan, but no one knew whether Bradley or Clark would be in position in India first. Clark, who had a great deal of respect for Bradley, intended to follow his orders. If his campaign succeeded, he would go down as the man who not only took back Jerusalem for the Jewish people, but the man who liberated the Middle East. Thus, no matter what, his status as one of the great American war heroes was assured. Clark also secretly still nursed Presidential ambitions and was confident of his chances. Truman was now one of the most popular presidents in US history, and he had come within a inch of beating him in the election. He therefore felt confident that he would win hands down against other candidate.
MacArthur, however, was not so inclined. He was still bitter about his own failed presidential attempt and feared that he was being eclipsed by men such as Patton and Bradley. He had been promised command of the invasion of Japan, but that was far away and he had been promised command of the invasion of India once too, only for Bradley to steal that command from him. For MacArthur, losing command of the Invasion of Japan would be unacceptable. Whoever commanded that invasion would be assured a place in the history books for all time, and MacArthur wanted that so bad he could taste it. However, he did not believe he had the clout any longer to stop Bradley from stealing command of the invasion of Japan if he tried to do so. His failed Presidential campaign had cost him a great deal of his prestige and he had done little of note since the liberation of Australia. Meanwhile, Patton was liberating all of Europe and Bradley had liberated Africa from the Axis. compared to them, he was therefore a small fry. That meant that he was much more expendable then either Patton and Bradley, as Stilwell could just as easily take his place, as had almost happened once before. What that translated to was that if he tried to fight Truman in the media, Truman could simply fire him, as the public outcry that would result from his dismissal would not nearly be enough to make Truman think twice about doing so. He therefore realized he had to do something and do it soon or risking sliding into obscurity. However, he soon realized he could not move, as their was a severe lack of supply convoys to supply his men during invasions. For now, he would have to wait. However, in addition to planning future offensives, MacArthur also made other, more secretive plans. He began to plan to launch his own invasion of India, without orders and on his own initiative if he got into position to do so before Bradley could. He wagered that, if he was successful, Truman would not dare fire him, as the media would crucify him for firing a general who had taken the initiative and was making good progress. However, he also realized that if he failed, it would be end of his career for sure. He was therefore prepared to gamble all on an invasion of India if he could get into a position to launch one.

I know you probably would prefer a proper update to a wall of text, but due to a screw up by me, this was all that was left of a much larger update. A proper update will be up soonish. I will try to update tomorrow, but I may be busy IRL. If that is the case, the Update will come sometime next week.

While I understand the reasons for Truman running for another term in 1960, I think he has been in office long enough (ever since the beginning of the AAR). Why not have Truman groom a handpick successor to oversee the endgame?

Also, are you going to bring in new Generals? The WW2 batch are all old men by now, and I think the Army could use a few younger men (perhaps Maxwell Taylor or Matthew Ridgeway can take command somewhere).