• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
There should already an event in the game files for a successful coup against Hitler, would it be possible to trigger that for Germany?
There is such an event. The problem is that for it to fire, Germany must either be in a two front war with both the UK and the Soviet Union or had every nation, including the US surrender

Last edited:
There is such an event. The problem is that for it to fire, Germany must either be in a two front war with both the UK and the Soviet Union or had every nation, including the US surrender

If every country surrenders, there's a coup against Hitler? :confused:

If every country surrenders, there's a coup against Hitler? :confused:

Actually that was a mistake. I read it wrong. The surrender and Bitter Peace Events disable the event, and as Germany, I got both Bitter Peace events, but only took the one with the Soviets. The event is for the assasination of Hitler and there is actually two events. One where it succeeds and one where it fails. However, Germany has to be at war with both Britain and the Soviet Union for it to fire.

Actually that was a mistake. I read it wrong. The surrender and Bitter Peace Events disable the event, and as Germany, I got both Bitter Peace events, but only took the one with the Soviets. The event is for the assasination of Hitler and there is actually two events. One where it succeeds and one where it fails. However, Germany has to be at war with both Britain and the Soviet Union for it to fire.

Damn, that means you have to venture into Siberia first before Hitler can surrender.

At least you can liberate the FRG.

Damn, that means you have to venture into Siberia first before Hitler can surrender.

Or DDR just to screw with people. :p

I have no intention of liberating the Soviet Union. In fact, I have one of two things I will do to Russia. I will put them out for you to give advice on when I get to that point. As always, I value my readers opinions but reserve for myself the final decision. In other words, if one of the two plans is widely criticized as unrealistic, I will consider going with the other one. As for the FRG, I That will be discussed in depth in this update.

Or DDR just to screw with people. :p

Definitely not, that would just look wrong.

Germany had fallen. Truman and Patton were both having trouble believing that fact. In a matter of not even a year, American forces had burst through a obstacle they had stopped their progress for years. Spain had been a long, bloody, brutal slog through the Peninsula, with the Germans making the Americans pay for every inch of land. That campaign had cost more American lives then the entire American Civil War. The campaigns through France and Germany, did not even total half that many men lost They had all expected France, and especially Germany to play out in the same way. Instead, they had burst into France and overrun both it and Germany in only 8 months. To Patton, his blitzkrieg had exceeded even his expectations. Not in his wildest dreams had he thought that he could have overrun both France, the Low Countries, and Germany in so short a time, and to top it all off, the advance showed no signs of being stopped anytime soon. It seemed to him that nothing now remained to stop him from driving the Germans into Russia and out of Europe entirely. "If you had told me in January that on October I would be sitting in Berlin, I would have laughed at you and then called for the men in the white coats to come and take you away. That is how crazy that notion would have seemed".

The fall of Germany itself presented Truman with a rather unique problem. German forces continued to keep fighting, but their homeland had fallen into American hands. It remained to be seen how this would effect their morale but for now, it fell to Truman to decide what to do with Germany. Many in his government advocated for declaring a new German state immediately, others for an occupation, and some truly radical members for the dividing up of Germany. Truman however, decided on another solution. He believed that any German state that he could proclaim now would be seen as nothing more then an American puppet, especially because he would be asking its citizens to take up arms against their fellow Germans. He also knew that the German propaganda machine continued to operate underground in Germany and that they would loudly trumpet this interpretation. He believed the only way to make a German state that he created seem legitimate to the people was for him to first bring Hitler to heel. He also believed that a long term occupation would only breed resentment. He therefore proposed another solution. Germany was to be ruled by a joint military-civilian government. Patton was to be proclaimed the military governor of Germany and would have the final say in all things regarding military matters in the country. However, working under him would be a collection of native Germans who would take care of the day-to-day running of the nation. This civilian wing of the government was to be headed by Theodor Heuss, one of relatively few men of Political experience who was not a member of the Nazi party. This was in accordance with the one rule that applied to members of the Civilian government: They must have no affiliation with the Nazi party whatsoever. While the civilian government had the responsibility of ruling the country in order to prepare it for independent rule and set up a new system of government. Germany had had a democracy only once before in its history, and that had failed miserably. Everyone was determined that the government that the United States set up would not fall prey to the same weaknesses.

Their was also another matter to be settled: What was to be done with the American forces in the Netherlands. Since the closing of the Netherlands pocket by Bradley, upwards of 80 some divisions had been standing idle in the Netherlands. The front had advance to fast for them and they were not currently needed on the front lines. Some believed they should be held in reserve for the push into Russia that was to come in the Spring. Others wanted them split between the Middle East and the Pacific Theaters. For Bradley, however, none of these options were sufficient. He had no desire to simply cool his heels and wait until he was needed, if he was needed in Russia, and he certainly did not want to serve under Patton again if he could avoid it. He also did not want to serve under the imperious MacArthur, who he did not get along with, viewing him as just as bad as Patton. He considered MacArthur a glory hound and a blowhard whose triumphs had been more due to circumstance of being placed in a theatre were neither side were committing the bulk of their resources. He also knew that MacArthur would not want such a famous general under his command, most likely fearing that he would steal some of his thunder, and would therefore very likely put him in a meaningless position. He also did not want to go to the Middle East, as his relations with Clark were not good either. Bradley,therefore, proposed another plan. He proposed transferring his forces back to Africa in preparation for a strike against India. He planned to transfer his men to Ethiopia, from where they would seize the German controlled regions of the Arabian peninsula as a staging area and to secure their rear. They would then launch an amphibious invasion of India, catching the Germans unprepared in a region where they would not be expecting an attack. As well as giving them a foothold on the Asian continent, this would also be able to serve as a base for invasions into Japanese Southeast Asia or German held Persia. Bradley also believed it would draw some of the German and Italian soldiers currently stationed in Persia east, thus taking the pressure off Clark and giving him an opening. Bradley hoped this might open the backdoor into Russia and bring the war closer to its conclusion. Bradley presented his plan to Truman and Truman happily approved it. When word of this reached MacArthur, he was furious. He had been promised command of the invasion of India, and now that campaign was being stolen by Bradley. This was made all the worse by the fact that MacArthur had also not forgotten that it was Bradley who had replaced him with Stilwell during the 1952 election, and then backed him for command of the theater over MacArthur after he lost said election. It was that fiasco that had led to him getting promised the command of the Indian campaign. MacArthur lodged a protest directly to the President and threatened to go to the press if he did not pull the plug on Bradley's plan. Knowing full well the kind of hell that would unleash, but still not wanting to back down and embolden MacArthur, Truman called his bluff. He told him that if he went to the press, he would fire him. Faced with the end of his military career, MacArthur backed down. Truman had defused another potential bruhaha in the press and set the stage for the invasion of India. Only time would tell what that would do.

Very good updates, espcially the highly gritty and grim account of the liberation of Amsterdam. I'd imagine that is a fate befalling many of the now dispersed German forces and it poignantly details why the war needs to end soon, and thankfully it seems as if it will. Although thankfully even though the end is near, there is still alot of infighting amongst the Allied command which always makes for enjoyable reading!

Last edited:
So in game terms, just maintaining the occupation of Germany for the time being, right?

Also, note that at minimum Germany would be perceived as pre-Anschluss Germany: WITH Silesia, further Pommerania and most of West and East Prussia. So all of Germany proper has not, in fact, been occupied.

Very good updates, espcially the highly gritty and grim account of the liberation of Amsterdam. I'd imagine that is a fate befalling many of the now dispersed German forces and it poignantly details why the war needs to end soon, and thankfully it seems as if it will. Although thankfully even though the end is near, there is still alot of infighting amongst the Allied command which always makes for enjoyable reading!

Thank you very much. That was completely impromptu about the "Lost Divisions". I had not planned on that update becoming that, it just sort of happened. As for the infighting, I like it to. It makes the generals dynamic characters rather then just faces. I also agree that the war must end soon and probably will.

I am joking, of course.

I like your India approach. It makes sense.

It is essentially the same thing I did when I was playing this game as Germany. I finished off a MASSIVE pocket in the Caucus region of Russia and then suddenly had all these divisions behind my lines with nothing to do with them. I then used them to invade India.

With the decision of what to do with Germany made, planning began for the invasion of India. It would not be easy. The Germans had done essentially the same thing to the British when they took India away from them years before. That meant they would be on the lookout for the attack. The plan therefore had to be kept secret until the last possible moment. Only the top echelon of American commanders knew about the plans, and Truman ensured it stayed that way. He also authorized a deception campaign to ensure that the Germans thought the divisions would be bound for the Middle East, which included double agent reports, phony messages, and even fake plans. Truman could only hope that the invasion force would not be met with heavy resistance and summarily slaughtered.

Meanwhile, the war in Europe had not been slowed in the least by these happenings. General Ironside was launching an attack on Ostrava in the Czechoslovakia as part of a general offensive in Czechoslovakia and Poland. The attack on Ostrava succeeded and the region would soon fall.
2m2zz2q.jpg

Breslau also fell as part of the same offensive.
34za98p.jpg

Stettin was soon attacked by general Cates. Even though the initial attack succeeded, a reinforcements eventually arrived and managed to stop the city from falling.
2e3tteq.jpg

The German collapse was not limited to Northern Europe. In the Balkans, the Allies also made gains. While many of the German allies were weary about continuing the fight, as many of their people wanted them to make peace with the Americans. They could see how the war was going and knew that, barring a miracle, Germany could not win the war, even if Hitler could not see that. They wanted to get out while they still could and hopefully negotiate a farer settlement from the Americans. Hungary in particular wanted out of the war. They had dominated the Balkans along with the Bulgaria and Italy, but those days were fast becoming a distant memory. They did, however, hope to maintain control over Transylvania at least and knew that the Americans would not aggree to that without a guarentee of Hungaian support for the American war effort, and even that might not work. Truman was committed to self determination and the Romanians had what was probably a better claim to the region. However, the Americans refused to accept any peace other then an unconditional surrender. They wanted to send a clear message that the Germans and their allies had lost. They did not want a repeat of what had happened after the end of the First World War, with the "stab in the back" myth and the Germans smarting for revenge. Thus, the German allies grimly marched to what was sure to be a final defeat.
In keeping with these offensives, Montgommery headed up the succesful attack on Banja Luka.
1scuaf.jpg

Back in Czechoslovakia, General Murphy seized Zilna, bringing The German puppet of Slovakia that much closer to destruction.
2yoznt0.jpg

Next, Banska Byrstica was attacked and fell to the American advance.
b4f0qu.jpg

Osijek fell next to the Americans.
2a648jr.jpg

Pecs soon followed suite
2mrtfg7.jpg

Opelin and Cracow fell next, in an ironic reverse of the offensive that had started the war during the invasion of Poland.
nwk7yo.jpg

jb6xec.jpg

Back in Hungary, defeat seemed to follow defeat as Eisenhower seized the capital at Budapest and immediately began an attack on Miskolc which managed to carry the city.
o02eyb.jpg

Kosice fell soon after this, thus ensuring that it was only a matter of time before Slovakia was no more..

This war looks promising. It's also interesting how you handled Germany's government.

So, how much of the male population has been killed in this war? Can we start a polygamy session like in Dr. Strangelove? :D

I must admit I'd completely forgotten about the remaining German holdings outside Europe. Hopefully the conquest of India shouldn't be too hard compared to previous campaigns, I imagine that most of the units there have already been withdrawn to defend Europe.

Just want to let my audience know that this is not dead. School Work is simply monopolizing my time right now. I will have more updates once I can find time. I will NOT allow this AAR to die.

Just want to let my audience know that this is not dead. School Work is simply monopolizing my time right now. I will have more updates once I can find time. I will NOT allow this AAR to die.

You better not. Or else Patton will rise from the dead and come after you on his jeep. :p

Very good news, greatly looking forward to you resuming updates. No rush though, non-AAR things are always more important.