• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

History_Buff

Lt. General
64 Badges
Jan 1, 2010
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
I have been a long time player of this game and a long time reader of AARs and have finally decided to do one myself. While I have played the game many times before, this will be my first US game and I have made the game pretty difficult for myself because I did not start the game as the US, but as Germany. As Germany, I managed to lead the Axis to complete domination or control of Asia, Africa, Europe, and Australia and now only the Americas remain to stand against the Fascists. I will appreciate all of your advice as I am not entirely sure that I can pull this off and I may even name ships or even armies after people whose Ideas I use. The First post will be screenshot heavy so as to give the readers a sense for what the world looks like

Now lets begin

Truman walked into the staff meeting and looked exhausted. For all of his great domestic policies, his successor Roosevelt, had left the military, especially the navy, in disarray and now he had to fix it.

v4cto8.jpg

jkbq0n.jpg

30ttj42.jpg

He had also bowed to the American people's wish to stay out of the war in Europe and the result was that the Allies had been completely wiped out with only Canada remaining .
6qk114.jpg

1zp32u8.jpg

14llfk5.jpg

97tngx.jpg

In Addition, the Soviet Union had been decimated in their war with Germany and now remained a shell of its former self

15xwqyd.jpg

The first thing that had to be decided was what was to be done about the Axis. the Axis boasted an army of over 300 divisions if not 500. The Americans, did not even have 300 divisions in their army at present and catching up to the Axis would therefore take time. It therefore became clear that they Canada would have to be left to defend itself for the time being despite the fact that they were the US's last sizable ally. If war came to them however, they would have to rely on the fleet to hold them off, and there the Americans had an advantage. They had over 200 ships and subs at their disposal which they believed would keep the Axis at bay for the time being.

The only problem would be if Canada fell. Various plans where put into play over how to deal with this possibility. One of the most popular was the most simple. To quickly rush all available manpower to the border and then begin construction of massive fortifications that would enable the US to hold the border long enough to blunt the attack and build up the force necessary to drive the Axis out. It was also suggested that manpower be built up for an invasion of Britain. This would be easier said then done however, as Britain had a garrison of 26 infantry divisions. This meant that substantial force might be required and the German infantry where currently more advanced then the Americans where.

He also found that the American military was more of a mess then he had previously believed. Not only was the navy suffering from horrible organization, but the American Army had serious personal problems. The Eastern Seaboard alone had 146 divisions along it organized into 21 armies of an average of 7 divisions. The problem was that only 9 of these had generals in charge of them . Meanwhile some of the most talented and high ranking generals in the army had commands in relatively minor sectors and routinely commanded units of only 1 or two divisions.

2jee3up.jpg

Bradley freezing his but off in charge of a single division in Greenland
dgt5jb.jpg

seo8yr.jpg

1zdsvnl.jpg

2cfrx8m.jpg

Eisenhower and MacArthur sunning themselves in Hawaii enjoying what can best be described as a vacation
(These where not the only examples of this, just the biggest. In total, all most all my officers of general rank that were highly qualified where to be found in the Aleutians, Hawaii, or elsewhere in the Pacific leading pathetically small forces)
After correcting these problems, he then took a look at his production of his country and was reasonably pleased with what he saw and immediately ordered the raising of 10 tank divisions to be commanded by General Patton.
2h2gvb4.jpg

Right before the meeting was to conclude, Truman received news of a development overseas
iqdixt.jpg

It looked obvious to all who would win, seeing as this put the Soviet Union, by now little more then a rump state, at war with pretty much all of Eurasia. However, they were able to stalemate the war for at least a year. This developing war was something that Truman would have to keep his eye on. It also provided the perfect opportunity to attack Germany while it was distracted, if the United States could prepare itself in time.

That's my first post, future posts will most definitely NOT have that many screenshots. This was only so that I could show you what I inherited. I also got a few laughs about the ridiculous places the AI put my generals and thought you would too

Last edited:
Good luck- conquering the world should be a decent challenge, even if your not at any risk of invasion. Your military looks strong even if it's rather... eccentrically organised.

From your IC I take it that the US is not currently at war with anyone?
It will be interesting to see how your strategy compares with Admiral Nelson's
in the "Near Defeat" thread.

The difficulty is normal because mine and Germany's IC is roughly equal on that level and I do not like the idea of having the AI pretty much cheat. I also have AI aggressiveness set to furious. If I find normal to be to easy, however, I will increase it. Not to mention the fact that the majority of the world is against me I think makes it difficult enough. I also saw that Germany's IC on very hard came to about 424 and mine to 185. I liked the fact that we are evenly matched in terms of IC (Germany actually has 423 and mine to 324) on normal, and remember that Axis Armies greatly outnumber my own. I intend to do my first invasion tommorrow and judging on how easy or difficult it is I will adjust the difficulty. Also, that is the difficulty that I started the game on and trust me when I say that it was NOT easy. I very nearly lost to the Soviet Union several times, mostly because I was not the one who started the war and It was a long grind and was not decided until I managed to cut off a huge portion of the Soviet Union army in a large pocket in the Caucasus Mountains. Also, about the German Navy, while I do have numerical superiority, they have a superfleet that I built commanded by Erik Raeder that contains 22 capital ships and 8 screens. by the way, those capital ships are super heavy battleships and Carriers IIRC. That is the fleet that mauled the British Navy and it is likely that it will shred my fleet if it finds me (the Atlantic fleet is commanded by Nimitz, so It does have a chance).

Last edited:
Very good start, and an interesting premise. Can a human player triumph having taken over from the idiotic AI?

I will appreciate all of your advice as I am not entirely sure that I can pull this off and I may even name ships or even armies after people whose Ideas I use.

Thank goodness I know too little about HoI to offer any aid. Any unit named after me would be destined to bloody defeat!

Consider me very much subscribed.

@Zhuge Liang Eccentric is an understatement, I was almost floored by how terrible the ai was at running the US military
@Serutan For now, I am not at war. I have never read "Near Defeat" but think I may do so
@Nathan Madien indeed, he better get results soon as the election is just around the corner
@MorningSIDErI expect that an army named after you would have numerous reports of incompetent soldiers and officers but still miraculously get the job done and done well.
@Everyone else Thank you very much for the support
After about a year of reorganizing the military and making sure it is up to date, and on par with the Germans (upgraded infantry to the 1947 model and tanks are already caught up). Truman decided it was time to finally launch the attack against the Axis.
1z372ie.jpg

A force is put together a force of 24 divisions in the Port of New York in preparation for sending them to the British Isles. While no one expected this force to seriously take over the islands, they were to establish a beachhead. The force consisted of VI Corps containing 10 tank divisions under the command of Field Marshal Patton, LXXIV Corps under Field Marshal Bradley, which consisted of 1 marine division, 1 motorized division, and 5 infantry divisions, and XXVIII Corps under the command of General Krueger consisting of 1 tank division, 4 motorized divisions, and 2 infantry divisions.

This force then disembarked for Reykjavik, the closest point to there first target: Ireland
28v7o93.jpg

It was believed that Ireland would be more weakly held so it was therefore likely that this force could seize the island by itself.
Truman also ordered a massive mobilization of division to supplement future offensives, ordering that 40 new divisions be trained and equipped.
2j876o.jpg

Meanwhile, the Japanese inflicted their first naval defeat.
2n1w0ol.jpg

Since Truman had deemed this front of little importance at the moment, the smaller fleets that dotted the Pacific were supposed to be withdrawn and joined with larger fleets on the Western Seaboard, but this was never carried out for some unknown reason.
Upon arrival of the force that would invade the British Isles in Iceland, a fierce debate ensued over who should lead the invasion. The separate Corps had not been merged into one to provide more independent action, but that left two officers of Field Marshal rank in Iceland and in command of their own units. Patton had the larger unit and was the most experienced of the two, having joined the military several years prior to Bradley, but Bradley had been promoted to Field Marshal a few months prior to Patton (both were Field Marshal when I took over, but I needed a reason to have him as a viable choice). Both petitioned Truman relentlessly to give them command, and finally Truman ruled that Patton, despite being the more junior in terms of promotion to Field Marshal, should be overall commander. This was the start of a fierce rivalry between the two generals as Bradley continued to believe that he should be the commander.
Soon after, the force disembarked. It Arrived on December 5th, 1947 and commenced an assault on Litterkenny defended by one infantry division commanded by General Felgeibel.
2hx0cah.jpg

On December 9th, they managed to force their way onshore and then began to attack further. Patton marched into Belfast, while Bradley advanced on Sligo and Krueger advanced on Portadown. Patton also soon found himself facing an enemy with a rather eccentric name
25sld8z.jpg

34gt5yd.jpg

vw274.jpg

(He sure does look demonic doesn't he)
Patton soon beat his eccentrically named general and marched into Belfast and actually managed to beat Krueger to Portadown and then drove straight into Dublin as Bradley marched into Sligo along with Krueger as both then advanced on Galloway and Patton drove into Cork. Finally, on Christmas Day, 1947, Ireland was retaken and was promptly given its independence, with the addition of Belfast and Portadown, which had long been disputed territory between the Irish and British.
1owopu.jpg

Meanwhile, another offensive was launched from Liberia in an attempt to take Sierre Leon from Nationalist Spain that unfortunately failed
o527pv.jpg

Well that is another update posted. I have already played through the invasion of Britain but figured it would be too long to include both so I will post it either later today or sometime tomorrow. I have also decided to up the difficulty level to hard owing to the complete lack of any concerted offensives by both Japan and Germany. I expected the Philipines to be invaded almost immediately but they have yet to be touched.

With Ireland liberated things are off to a good start although there's been a surprising lack of resistance from the enemy so far. Maybe they're grown complacent after conquering half the world or they're focused on Siberia.

With Ireland liberated things are off to a good start although there's been a surprising lack of resistance from the enemy so far. Maybe they're grown complacent after conquering half the world or they're focused on Siberia.

They seem to be focused on Siberia, as I know that I had a an infantry division for every province in the British Isles stationed their with military police and anti-partisan duty. The Russians were doing good in the beginning, so my beat is that they rushed men to Siberia. That front has been static for a while as if the Axis is reluctant to finish the job. I do not remember if Aggressiveness also controls how aggressive they are during a war or just their willingness to start them, but either way, They really need to get moving. The Japanese are sluggish as well. They have only sunk a few ships and have not landed a single invasion force yet. I think they have decided to play it defensively for some reason, which is either a very good or a very bad idea given the amount of land they control

Would you be willing to upload the save game from the start of this to rapidshare or the likes? I think I'd enjoy the challenge of facing the might Germany when it has the resources of the world behind it.

Also, this looks to be an interesting AAR and I'm definitely subscribing to it.

I will try to. I have never done that before so it might be difficult.

Wait a minute. Compare the title to my AoD AAR title. Notice a similarity?

Oops. I did not read that AAR, so I did not know that. I actually had played the original Germany game before I even started posting on this forum. The first time I actually brought this up was in the section for this game on TWCenter. I just lost interest in the game for a while and played different countries and then decided to take up this old idea. This was something I had considered doing even before I had conquered the Old World as Germany. This was also the original title I had set when I first came up with the idea.

Oops. I did not read that AAR, so I did not know that. I actually had played the original Germany game before I even started posting on this forum. The first time I actually brought this up was in the section for this game on TWCenter. I just lost interest in the game for a while and played different countries and then decided to take up this old idea. This was something I had considered doing even before I had conquered the Old World as Germany. This was also the original title I had set when I first came up with the idea.

No problem, I just thought it was a fun coincidence.

Finally, on Christmas Day, 1947, Ireland was retaken and was promptly given its independence, with the addition of Belfast and Portadown, which had long been disputed territory between the Irish and British.
1owopu.jpg

That's a very good Christmas gift the Americans are giving the Irish. No longer will the Irish have to deal with British presence on their island.

@Nathan Madien: Indeed it is a splendid Christmas gift. I also like that after 7 years of occupation, they are liberated on Christmas day. That will likely become a National as well as a religious holiday.
Time to invade Britain
After much debate, it was decided that the invasion force would hit the beach at Glasgow, the most Northern of all possible landing points. They hit the beach on January 14 of 1948 and met only one infantry division of resistance.
2v2h574.jpg

Truman also asked the Canadians to give him temporary control over their military, which they accepted. Upon their acceptance, he ordered them to seize Newfoundland and Labrador, which had gone to Germany when they annexed the UK.
2vkktux.jpg

Field Marshal Marshal and his 6 infantry divisions and headquarter staff were tasked with seizing Germany and Japan's Caribbean holdings.
2coquxz.jpg

Germany held all of the former British holdings in the Caribbean and Japan held the former Dutch ones in Curacao and Paramaribo
In Britain, after the seizing of Glasgow, Patton and Krueger marched on Edinburgh, while he ordered his rival Bradley to head North and seize the rest of Scotland. This was an embarrassing assignment because the region was devoid of troops and would be little more then glorified cleanup, meaning no battles and no chance for glory. This was meant to deny Bradley of any opportunity for fame and glory and secure all the glory for Patton as well as humiliate his rival.
2r5q2rc.jpg

Due to lack of significant resistance from the Germans, It took Patton and his fast moving tanks only 10 days to reach Liverpool. However, the infantry that Krueger commanded got left behind and only managed to reach Sunderland, which meant that Patton now occupied a potentially dangerous salient. He was extremely luck that the Germans could not yet amass the manpower to surround and destroy said salient and he ordered Krueger to take Sheffield to secure his flank before the Germans could surround him. Bradley, moving over difficult terrain, had only managed to take Dunfermaline in the same amount of time
2808j5z.jpg

Krueger however, faced 6 enemy divisions and, despite his best effort, suffered the Americans first land defeat in the war.
10eeltw.jpg

This derailed Patton's plans to seize Wales, forcing him to plan a two pronged attack on Sheffield, throwing his own tanks into the fray. This was a success and Patton then advanced into Wales. He then launched another two pronged attack, this time on Birmingham. However, this time the result was not the same.
2zsbh2o.jpg

Patton was infuriated. This meant that he would have to abandon Wales for fear of being cut off by a German seizure of Liverpool.
280ru42.jpg

To add insult to injury, it also meant that he would have to order Bradley south upon completion of his mission. This essentially ruined his plan to deny Bradley any opportunity for glory and keep him in Scotland and out of his way. Bradley was about to seize Scapa Flow, the last part of Scotland still in German hands
5do2no.jpg

Upon Bradley's arrival on the 13th of March, Patton retook Wales and ordered Krueger to seize Norwich while he assisted Bradley in seizing Birmingham.
28upamx.jpg

After the initial battle, Patton advanced on Bristol and ordered Krueger to to hook around London once he reached Norwich. The plan was to drive as many Germans as possible into the city and then annihilate them. The plan worked perfectly as Krueger managed to seize both Dover and Portsmouth without any serious resistance, thus trapping six German divisions in London and 3 in Plymouth.
2zhmp7k.jpg

Patton and Bradley then advanced on London, both hoping to enter the city first, but first they would have to defeat the German divisions in the city
2zgdrig.jpg

Patton won the race and got the glory of liberating London, one upping his rival yet again.
(the dates on the next two screenshots are going to be out of order. That is because they come from different attempts. I had to replay the section from March 13th three times because either the save vanished or, more likely, I forgot to save, I used the third playthrough here but the picture of Patton in London comes from the second, as I forgot to get a screenshot of the capture of London on the third and did not have a save prior to the liberation of Britain.)
1z6gsx.jpg

Plymouth fell soon after and then, on March 22, 1948, after 8 years of German occupation, Great Britain was finally liberated
2wh464w.jpg

Soon after, in much lesser news, Field Marshal Marshal managed to liberate the Bahamas without any opposition ( the only reason it took so long is because I payed little attention to that offensive)
14lhmxe.jpg

That is another Update up, I have not played ahead this time, so you are more then welcome to offer advice on where you think that I should strike next. I already have an idea of where that will be but I am open for suggestions.