+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Possible to use Event to Remove Fog of War?

Possible to use Event to Remove Fog of War?

I've looked through several threads about removing the fog of war (for whatever reason), and I keep hearing that it's not possible. The best you can do is use the cheat that removes it for a day but since it only lasts a day and allows the AI to discover the world, it's not very helpful. The other thing I heard you could do is to send spies to infiltrate the administrations all over the world. Even though this is possible (just use a cheat to gain more spies), it's also impractical, since you have to send more in case you fail, and they usually get caught which causes a 20 or so drop in relations. Plus, it takes forever to do it for all countries.

This made me think, would it be possible to make an event which causes all countries (administrations) around the world to be infiltrated by your country (or something to that extent)? The reason I ask this is that I've found (so far) that events can be made to work like cheats. I made a few events that caused instant recruits for my country (after looking at certain event modifiers such as faster_ships to get an idea as to how I would make it), I've made events that add all buildings to a target province (by taking the event that adds a university, copying it to a new event, and then adding other buildings to the effect as well as the university), and I've made events that cause all provinces to be discovered (for my country only).

With all that I've been able to do with events, I figure there must be something in the files (event, decision, etc.) that does something like remove the fog of war in a country (maybe something that triggers when the spy succeeds?). With all that said, could someone point me to something (event, decision, etc.) that removes fog of war? If I could find a trigger or something that removes fog of war for a country, I might be able to change it to affect the entire world.

Emperor of Outremer TheCheeseMaster's Avatar
    Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMagicka
    March of the EaglesVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper FiSword of the Stars
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Conquest of Paradise

if your on about terra incognito(?) then in "rising nations" mod, theres an event that removes it
    "I haven't had this much sex since I was a boy scout leader, I mean, at the time, I was dating alot"
    - Lt. Frank Drebin

My AARs at the inkwell

hes probably talking about doing a hands off game and he wants to be able to see everything the AI does. at least thats the only practical reason for no FoW

I did it! I can't believe it worked!

First, I made an event which discovered every single province (this is with the Whole World Mod).
    I did this by making a list:
    1 = { discover = yes }
    All the way down to 2417 (number of provinces in WWM). I tested it out, and it worked. All the terra incognita was gone.

Second, I made an event which would use the remove_fow effect from the infiltrate administration spy mission.
    I also did this by making a list:
    1 = {remove_fow = 36}
    Like the above, the 1 is the province number (1-2417 for WWM), while the second part removes the fog of war from that province for 36 months. I did this down to 2417. I tested it out, and it worked.

To make sure it worked correctly, I started a game as Hawaii. First, I activated the map reveal event to discover the entire world. Second, I used the fog of war event to remove the fog of war from the entire world. Everything worked perfectly. Not only was all the terra incognita gone, but every single province in the world (both land and water) had fog of war removed for 36 months.

The only problem I can think of is if it has an effect on the AI as well. Considering that I put is_triggered_only for both events, I don't think that is the case. I'm pretty sure this only has an effect on the player.

I can't believe that actually worked.

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryHeir to the Throne
    Rome GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Impressive!

But wouldn't it slow down your machine eventually with all the moving figures?
    A Blessing and a Curse: EUIV Narrative AAR! In Progress
    Downfall: A Byzantine Narrative AAR. See the fall of the mightiest empire the world has ever seen. On Hold 3rd Place OVERALL EU3 (Highest Narrative) AARland Choice Awards Q3 2012!
    The Grey Eminence: A British Narrative/History AAR. Witness the rise of Great Britain to world power! COMPLETE! WINNER EU - Narrative for AARland Choice AwAARds 2012 Q1!
    The Eternal Exile: Nation Hopping AAR with a mix of narrative and game-play. On Hold. | WINNER EU - Narrative for AARland Choice AwAARds 2011 Q1!

Winner: AAR Showcase 29/11/2011 | Winner: Character Writer of the Week 19/1/2012 | Winner: Fan of the Week 20/9/2010 and 20/8/2012 | I was Character Writer of the Week 13/12/2010

Not sure, I haven't used it long enough. I'll check and see if it slows it down any. I know that both events caused the game to slow when I activated them, but that didn't last long. For the remove terra incognita, the pause was barely noticeable. For the remove fog of war, there was a two second or so pause for the fog to be removed (just like when you normally send a spy).

Sorry for the thread revival, but I wanted to bring it back up since I can't seem to get to it anymore (the threads don't go that far back for some reason).

I was curious, has anyone else used this? If so, was there any trouble? I tested it some more and found that removing the fog of war didn't cause the game to slow any, and I also found that it only works for the player.

I just got Divine Wind, so I was about to see if it still works (I imagine I'll have to change the number of provinces, but I can't imagine why it wouldn't work).

-edit

Extra brackets were the original problem, fixed it, but I cannot get the fog event to do anything yet. It fires, has a brief slow down but nothing is revealed.

The terra incognita causes massive slowdowns when first firing for me, but its the FOW event I am after anyway not the terra event, i'll report if I have any luck.

-edit2

Does work on 36 just likely me being impatient , after you unpause it reveals the map. I set it 36 to be sure, but might work with any value.

Code:
    country_event = {
    id = 80050

title = "EVTNAMEDiscoverTerra"
    desc = "EVTDESCDiscoverTerra"

is_triggered_only = yes

option = {
    		name = "EVTOPTIONDiscoverT"		# Reveal all map

1 = { discover = yes }
    2 = { discover = yes }
    3 = { discover = yes }
    4 = { discover = yes }
    5 = { discover = yes }
    6 = { discover = yes }
    7 = { discover = yes }
    8 = { discover = yes }
    9 = { discover = yes }
    10 = { discover = yes }
    11 = { discover = yes }
    12 = { discover = yes }
    13 = { discover = yes }
    14 = { discover = yes }
    15 = { discover = yes }
    16 = { discover = yes }
    17 = { discover = yes }
    18 = { discover = yes }
    19 = { discover = yes }
    20 = { discover = yes }
    21 = { discover = yes }
    22 = { discover = yes }
    23 = { discover = yes }
    24 = { discover = yes }
    25 = { discover = yes }
    26 = { discover = yes }
    27 = { discover = yes }
    28 = { discover = yes }
    29 = { discover = yes }
    30 = { discover = yes }
    31 = { discover = yes }
    32 = { discover = yes }
    33 = { discover = yes }
    34 = { discover = yes }
    35 = { discover = yes }
    36 = { discover = yes }
    37 = { discover = yes }
    38 = { discover = yes }
    39 = { discover = yes }
    40 = { discover = yes }
    41 = { discover = yes }
    42 = { discover = yes }
    43 = { discover = yes }
    44 = { discover = yes }
    45 = { discover = yes }
    46 = { discover = yes }

#all the way through the province numbers

}
    	}

country_event = {
    id = 80051

title = "EVTNAMERemoveFog"
    	desc = "EVTDESCRemoveFog"

is_triggered_only = yes

option = {
    		name = "EVTOPTIONRemoveFog"		# Reveal all map

1 = {remove_fow = 2000}
    2 = {remove_fow = 2000}
    3 = {remove_fow = 2000}
    4 = {remove_fow = 2000}
    5 = {remove_fow = 2000}
    6 = {remove_fow = 2000}
    7 = {remove_fow = 2000}
    8 = {remove_fow = 2000}
    9 = {remove_fow = 2000}
    10 = {remove_fow = 2000}
    11 = {remove_fow = 2000}
    12 = {remove_fow = 2000}
    13 = {remove_fow = 2000}
    14 = {remove_fow = 2000}
    15 = {remove_fow = 2000}
    16 = {remove_fow = 2000}
    17 = {remove_fow = 2000}
    18 = {remove_fow = 2000}
    19 = {remove_fow = 2000}
    20 = {remove_fow = 2000}
    21 = {remove_fow = 2000}
    22 = {remove_fow = 2000}
    23 = {remove_fow = 2000}
    24 = {remove_fow = 2000}
    25 = {remove_fow = 2000}
    26 = {remove_fow = 2000}
    27 = {remove_fow = 2000}
    28 = {remove_fow = 2000}
    29 = {remove_fow = 2000}
    30 = {remove_fow = 2000}
    31 = {remove_fow = 2000}
    32 = {remove_fow = 2000}
    33 = {remove_fow = 2000}
    34 = {remove_fow = 2000}
    35 = {remove_fow = 2000}
    36 = {remove_fow = 2000}
    37 = {remove_fow = 2000}
    38 = {remove_fow = 2000}
    39 = {remove_fow = 2000}

#All the way through the province numbers
    		}
    	}

Code:
    EVTNAMERemoveFog;Remove Fog;;Remove Fog;;;;;;;;;;;x,,,,,,,,,
    EVTDESCRemoveFog;Remove Fog;;Remove Fog;;;;;;;;;;;x,,,,,,,,,
    EVTNAMEDiscoverTerra;Discover Terra;;Discover Terra;;;;;;;;;;;x,,,,,,,,,
    EVTDESCDiscoverTerra;Discover Terra;;Discover Terra;;;;;;;;;;;x,,,,,,,,,
    EVTOPTIONRemoveFog;Remove it already;;Remove it already;;;;;;;;;;;x,,,,,,,,,
    EVTOPTIONDiscoverT;Discover Terra;;Discover Terra;;;;;;;;;;;x,,,,,,,,,
    Its been awhile so I may be missing something obvious
    Last edited by markmid; 29-07-2012 at 14:13.

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 Complete
    Divine WindHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionRome Gold
    SengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: Warband
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and SwordCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Conquest of Paradise
    EUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The Republic
    Crusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of India

That's an awesome tool.
    Ius Hibernicum, in nomine juris. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Ancestor Moth scribe for CK 2: Elder Kings - can you rival Tiber Septim's power?
    Burgundy: A Dream of Lotharingia (a Death & Taxes AAR - in torpor)
    The Three Certainties of Life (a Byzantine D&T AAR - updated 19.02.14)

You could just type ti in the console and FOW disappears in for a day.

200k clubHoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings II
    Darkest HourDeus VultEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessEU3 Collectors Edition500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res PublicaParadoxian Order - 2015

remove_fow is a country-scope effect. i.e. you can't remove fog for just one province. I use this decision to remove fog worldwide for 5 years:
    Code:
    	nofog_worldwide = {
    		potential = {
    			ai = no
    		}
    		allow = {	}
    		effect = {
    			any_country = {
    				remove_fow = 60
    			}
    		}
    	}
    Not sure if there's a way to remove fog from uncolonized provinces.
    "The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all." --H. L. Mencken

Playing EU4

Download the Fix-it-Yourself Pack for HoI 1.06c (updated 11/14/05)
    Download the Unofficial fixpack for EU3 4.1b 4/29 beta or final 11/24 patch (updated 12/25/10)
    Download the text fixpack for EU3 Divine Wind (updated 2/11/11)

Second Lieutenant discoarsonist's Avatar
    Europa Universalis: Chronicles

Quote Originally Posted by TheArchive View Post
    I did this by making a list:
    1 = { discover = yes }
    All the way down to 2417 (number of provinces in WWM). I tested it out, and it worked. All the terra incognita was gone.
    Couldn't you have simply done

any_province = { discover = yes }

for this?

+ Reply to Thread