Thread: Corp Creation Question

Crusader Kings IIHearts of Iron IIISupreme Ruler 2020 GoldVictoria 2

Corp Creation Question

How can I tell exactly why the game is not allowing me to create a Corps for a new Army which I created a few turns back.

The 2-Star general which would lead the new Corps is stacked in the same region with the new Army commander (Schwerin) and has his own Brigade troops as well as two other Brigades within his stack. Still the option is grayed out and I can't figure out why.

200k clubHoI AnthologyCities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus Vult
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneKing Arthur IIMagickaVictoria: Revolutions
    Semper FiSword of the StarsVictoria 2Mount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the Arcane
    Pride of NationsRise of Prussia500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

He cannot have his own brigade troops when you want to create a corps. Split his brigade into seperate units, then you'll be able to attach his corps to an army.

Exact. Even if the button is grayed out, there can be a tooltip with info also. Not sure for this particular case, but many special orders have this feature.

Crusader Kings IIHearts of Iron III

But in the start of 1756 and 1757, Wedel has its own corps and its own brigade - is it a bug or is it intended?

Also, I cannot make a corps if I have "free" 2star leader when another 2star leader with lower seniority number and own brigade is present in force.

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: RomePride of NationsRise of Prussia500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

You can have corps with 2- or even 3-* leaders commanding a brigade. What you cannot do is form a corps with a 2-/3-* leader already in command of a brigade, or form a brigade with a 2-/3-* leader already in command of a brigade. But, such a 2-/3-* leader who starts the game in command of both a brigade and corps can continue to command (but if you ever disband his brigade you will not be able to reform it while he retains command of a corps)...

There also is a trick to create a situation like Wedell in command of both brigade and corps (that's actually Bevern's corps, but whether by design or accident, Wedell has seniority). For that you need two 2-/3-* leaders. You form separate forces with both. The junior one (in seniority and/or rank) forms a corps. The senior one organises a brigade. Then you move the senior one into teh junior's corps and you end up with the senior 2-/3-* in command of corps and brigade. At that point you can also remove the junior 2-/3-* from the corps if you wish...

But note that there is little advantage to having a corps commander also command a brigade. The brigade in question only gets the command bonus from either corps or brigade (forgot which one). Any other brigade in that same corps would get a bonus from the corps commander as well as their brigade commander. So if you have leaders to spare it's always better to disband the corps commander's brigade and form a new brigade with the spare leader...
    Marc aka Caran...
    ministrare honor est

Crusader Kings IIHearts of Iron IIISupreme Ruler 2020 GoldVictoria 2

Thank-you

Thanks for all the input. I did as you suggested and it worked out fine. So let me see if I understand this correctly, - a corps commander who is also a brigade commander doesn't pass any of his bonuses on to his (own) brigade troops? Or is the other case true, - he does but he would also do so anyway even if these units were simply 'loose' and without any brigade affiliation (but still in his corps).

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: RomePride of NationsRise of Prussia500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

Quote Originally Posted by Raimundo2a View Post
    Thanks for all the input. I did as you suggested and it worked out fine. So let me see if I understand this correctly, - a corps commander who is also a brigade commander doesn't pass any of his bonuses on to his (own) brigade troops? Or is the other case true, - he does but he would also do so anyway even if these units were simply 'loose' and without any brigade affiliation (but still in his corps).
    He only passes along one of the bonuses, either as corps or brigade commander (I'm not sure which) while usually troops in a brigade and corps would get a bonus from both their corps and brigade commander...
    Marc aka Caran...
    ministrare honor est

He will pass the highest bonus, which is the brigade bonus (5% for each point of stat)

Arsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDeus VultEast India Company Collection
    EU3 CompleteHeir to the ThroneVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSupreme Ruler 2020 Gold
    Victoria 2Mount & Blade: WarbandRise of Prussia500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Quote Originally Posted by Caranorn View Post
    He only passes along one of the bonuses, either as corps or brigade commander (I'm not sure which) while usually troops in a brigade and corps would get a bonus from both their corps and brigade commander...
    So let me make sure I understand this . . .

If I have the corps commander also in direct command of his own brigades (e.g., Wilhelm von Preussen who begins this way at the outset of the 1756 scenario) it is WORSE in terms of the bonuses than if he was only acting as corps commander and not also as a brigade commander?

Does this apply to all the brigades in his corps, or just to those regiments in "his" brigade (or not in his brigade).

Lets say I leave it the way it is at the start, and assume the bonuses for the 5 brigades in that corps are all = X.

If I disband Wilhelms Brigade, and leave those regiments "loose" inside of that "stack" does that mean that the other four intact brigades and those four regiments that are now "loose" inside the corps now enjoy bonus of X + Y?

The reason I'm asking is: it would seem to me that if having the corps commander also be in command of his own brigade is not somehow "WORSE" than having those regiments instead "loose" inside the corps, then it is by default "BETTER" simply by virtue of allowing a larger density of troops /space-time and for lower command point costs?
    Last edited by Anthropoid; 19-09-2010 at 15:44.
    Rising from Count to Duke, how I did it:
    http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...1#post14693394

"The greatest joy a man can know is to conquer his enemies and drive them before him. To ride their horses and take away their possessions. To see the faces of those who were dear to them bedewed with tears, and to clasp their wives and daughters in his arms." Genghis Khan