• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Which expansion would you like next?

• EU3 - (Rotw focus)

Votes: 1.262 46,2%
  • Rome -(Alexander era, revised map)

Votes: 685 25,1%
  • HoI3 - (Expanded timelines, battlescenarios)

Votes: 288 10,5%
  • Victoria 2 - (US Civil War)

Votes: 499 18,3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone explain to me what functionality Rome is supposed to be missing?

A distinct lack of scale.

Heck, the Seleucid Empire isn't even represented at its full extent.

A larger map, and throwing the timeline back to Alexander's conquest of Persia would be great, and open up a lot more playability for Rome, who underwent many important transitions during that period.

I voted for Rome because there's lots of opportunity for improvement. EU3 is good the way it is, besides I can't imagine what else you could add to it. Perhaps if we heards some rough ideas that would help us vote.

As I write this, there's a thread 235 posts long on the first page of the EU3 forum. But basically the things people want fall into two classes. The first is improvements to the existing game mechanics for all nations. Popular examples include the ability to "call to arms", or having a family tree for the royal family (instead of just a ruler and, maybe, an heir).

The second kind of thing people want is improvements to the representation of the world outside of Europe. This includes improvements to the gameplay of non-European countries and improvements to the mechanics of colonization, and it includes both additional game mechanics (an example might be the ability to establish trading posts) and fleshing out existing countries with events, decisions, and missions (for example, representing the internal politics in Japan in some way, or an event for the smallpox epidemic that hit the Incas a few years before the Spanish showed up).

None of the continents outside of Europe will develop in the ways they historically did under the current rules. For example, in North America Portugal will typically colonize the eastern seaboard of the US, over a hundred years before it was historically colonized by the British, and then quickly conquer native country that in reality remained significant political entities until the late 1700's/early 1800's. Historically the French and English allied with native groups, but in the game there's no reason to do that, and you can't do it even if you wanted to because the natives are in a different religion group from the Europeans, can't convert, and alliances between different religion groups aren't allowed.

Similarly, the game doesn't follow history in Peru, Africa, India, and only in the most rough way in China, and when I say "doesn't follow history" I mean "it bears no relationship whatsoever to history." African countries that were historically conquered in the late 1800's, in the Victoria period, are routinely conquered by 1500. Ethiopia plays like a really weak Mongol horde that has no cavalry. The Incas are a republic. Etc.

So I think there's a lot of room for more interest and nuance here, not just for games when the player's playing a non-European country but for games when the player's playing a colonizing European country. At the moment, if I'm playing Britain, I can send a single regiment into a province representing thousands of square miles of wilderness controlled by scattered natives. The control can be instantly seized simply by marching my soldiers through. Then send one missionary and the area will shortly become a patch of settled English countryside. It's not just unrealistic, it's also completely boring.

Last edited:
As I write this, there's a thread 235 posts long on the first page of the EU3 forum. But basically the things people want fall into two classes. The first is improvements to the existing game mechanics for all nations. Popular examples include the ability to "call to arms", or having a family tree for the royal family (instead of just a ruler and, maybe, an heir).

The second kind of thing people want is improvements to the representation of the world outside of Europe. This includes improvements to the gameplay of non-European countries and improvements to the mechanics of colonization, and it includes both additional game mechanics (an example might be the ability to establish trading posts) and fleshing out existing countries with events, decisions, and missions (for example, representing the internal politics in Japan in some way, or an event for the smallpox epidemic that hit the Incas a few years before the Spanish showed up).

None of the continents outside of Europe will develop in the ways they historically did under the current rules. For example, in North America Portugal will typically colonize the eastern seaboard of the US, over a hundred years before it was historically colonized by the British, and then quickly conquer native country that in reality remained significant political entities until the late 1700's/early 1800's. Historically the French and English allied with native groups, but in the game there's no reason to do that, and you can't do it even if you wanted to because the natives are in a different religion group from the Europeans, can't convert, and alliances between different religion groups aren't allowed.

Similarly, the game doesn't follow history in Peru, Africa, India, and only in the most rough way in China, and when I say "doesn't follow history" I mean "it bears no relationship whatsoever to history." African countries that were historically conquered in the late 1800's, in the Victoria period, are routinely conquered by 1500. Ethiopia plays like a really weak Mongol horde that has no cavalry. The Incas are a republic. Etc.

So I think there's a lot of room for more interest and nuance here, not just for games when the player's playing a non-European country but for games when the player's playing a colonizing European country. At the moment, if I'm playing Britain, I can send a single regiment into a province representing thousands of square miles of wilderness controlled by scattered natives. The control can be instantly seized simply by marching my soldiers through. Then send one missionary and the area will shortly become a patch of settled English countryside. It's not just unrealistic, it's also completely boring.

What about for Constitutional Monarchys have both a monarch and prime minister? By having this, the only thing that the monarch could affect is prestige, revolt risk, and morale?

What about for Constitutional Monarchys have both a monarch and prime minister? By having this, the only thing that the monarch could affect is prestige, revolt risk, and morale?

Well, sure :). Actually, you could have a prime minister who acts as leader of the state for most purposes (and is elected etc.) while the monarch might be ruler of other countries through personal union (like a certain British dynasty of this period). I was concentrating on the material a "Rest of the World" expansion could cover, though. There's certainly plenty of things in Europe that could be improved/treated in greater depth.

An example of something that would help detail the rest of the world and would also help Europe would be treating the rebels in large rebellions as a rebel country - which would allow civil wars (important in history of Ming, Mughals, Incas), which also happened in, for example, Britain twice during this period (the Wars of the Roses and the event the English call the Civil War, where Cromwell was prominent).

Apart from trying to rectify the _very_ faulty historical setup in eu3. Separating Inter and extra dynastic pretender rebels and allowing minority religions/cultures would also be nice features to help the situation in the east.

There is however a lot of room for improvement in EU:Rome as well. I'd love for paradox to do both but I'd rather they did Rome first.

EU3 was ultimately improved by Magna Mundi, Rome is not that fun for me anyway, when I want battlescenarios in WW2 time I play TOAW or old PG, so it means ACW for Vicky 2. I just hope it means the starting date and not just simple scenario :)

Sorry, but I think that asking for an expansion to be started now for a title that is not even out yet is absurd.

As for EUIII, I think there are lots of good things that could still be done with it - there are some good ideas in this thread - but Rome just has so much more scope to waken people up to an enthralling period of history with immense scope and depth that the original barely scratched the surface of...

So - Rome first, then EU3, then maybe a second HoI3 pack to get it really rocking followed by the exploitation of Vicky2's awesome base system (I'm hoping)...

Sorry, but I think that asking for an expansion to be started now for a title that is not even out yet is absurd.

As for EUIII, I think there are lots of good things that could still be done with it - there are some good ideas in this thread - but Rome just has so much more scope to waken people up to an enthralling period of history with immense scope and depth that the original barely scratched the surface of...

So - Rome first, then EU3, then maybe a second HoI3 pack to get it really rocking followed by the exploitation of Vicky2's awesome base system (I'm hoping)...

Followed by a "Heathens and Infidels" Expansion to CK2. ;)

Followed by a "Heathens and Infidels" Expansion to CK2. ;)

That`s it. Either an expansion (or a patch, so the army management / crusades make some kind of sense) or a sequel. NOW! :D

Reminds me to play the Crusade-Scenario of MTW2 again.

brian bóruma said:

But eu:r is a corpse, and necrophilia should be frowned upon.

Eu3: Random gratuitous expansion would outsell eu:r 3.0 hands down.

+1

I voted Rome.

Like others have said, I think it's too soon for a Vicky2 or yet another HoI3 expansion. And while I adore EU3, it has had enough attention. More fine-tuning can be left to the modders.

Rome, on the other hand, desperately needs a hug.

EU3 - Rest of the world! PLEASE!

* A map with as many provinces as the wonderful 'whole world mod' would be fantastic!
* Every province colonizable!
* More nations in Africa and the Americas.
* More trade goods.
* Give and take peace treaties.
* Avatars/sprites for cavalry and artillery.
* Re-desiged province decision page.

I voted for EU 3. It's my favourite Paradox game and having the rotw improved would make it almost perfect.

About ROTW I hoped it means anything outside western europe, but I still hope to see Free imperial cities represented in the game.

Anyway, I expected that Paradox made all of the options soon or late.

I voted for EU3; I think HOI3 needs some time for Semper Fi to sink in. As for Rome, I really never got into it. Don't have Victoria so can't comment - and EU3 being my favorite more attention is never a bad thing.

I wonder if they will give some love to the Ottomans too.

Status
Not open for further replies.