• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

midget_roxx

Back from moderation hell
33 Badges
May 21, 2008
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • 500k Club
  • Hearts of Iron Anthology
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Stellaris
  • 200k Club
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Deluxe edition
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Semper Fi
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
I have a sudden craving for EU3 (I even decided to buy HttT :D) but I want to have a good game that doesn't turn me off like my last Brabant game

I've heard Tutonic Order are a good choice, but I'm not sure if I want to have to deal with Poland/Lithuania and Sweden if they get that reclaim Baltic areas event.

I'm not too keen on colonising (but I don't mind it) and I prefer to colonise by warfare, eg India. So far the nations I've played are England, Austria, Brabant and Novogorod/Muscowy.

merchant republics can be fun, milan/genoa/venice (novograd as well but a different kind of game for them). Ive pretty much played every nation and they all have there own fun aspects.

I have a sudden craving for EU3 (I even decided to buy HttT :D) but I want to have a good game that doesn't turn me off like my last Brabant game

I've heard Tutonic Order are a good choice, but I'm not sure if I want to have to deal with Poland/Lithuania and Sweden if they get that reclaim Baltic areas event.

I'm not too keen on colonising (but I don't mind it) and I prefer to colonise by warfare, eg India. So far the nations I've played are England, Austria, Brabant and Novogorod/Muscowy.

France can be fun. The start is actually challenging in HTTT, since you have 3 major powers surrounding you who won't hesitate to attack you if you get entangled in war with the others, each of whom is at least a worthy opponent. Plus you don't even start with cores on a lot of "France", and you have a bunch of vassals instead of own land initially. If you get lucky, there might even be 4 major powers if one of the Italians makes it good. Once you unite France, kick out the English, and defeat the Burgundians, you can do pretty much anything.

Not sure about France since there is so much satisfaction in destroying them when you get your nation up. Venice sounds like a very interesting idea and I plan to do that when I get the chance.

Also what tips can you suggest for armies in HttT, because I've read that they've changed now and have a more moral focussed approach

Also what tips can you suggest for armies in HttT, because I've read that they've changed now and have a more moral focussed approach

Don't rely on pure-cavalry armies anymore. Mix them with infantry, because otherwise you don't get the tactics bonus (which is a killer in later game). Also, armies with zero morale are immediately completely destroyed if they get into a fight.

The Papel State is realy fun (even though a bit cheasy)

Of course it is allways the hous rules and individual goals that make up the fun, You can seek to unite the Latin Provinces and then fight for the Catholic faith by becoming defender of the faith and honoring every call. Also go for crusades often.

The biggest challenge is not to grow to fast. Otherwise you can soon kick everyone in the game.

Ottomans or Venice. My favorites.

Denmark!

I'm having a blast playing as Georgia. Painting the religious map brown isn't easy either, as the Sunni countries tend to gang up on you the second you declare war on one of them.

Byzantines are kind of heavy for someone who just goes back to the game.

I'm a big fan of Milan because it's quite challenging. You strive to unite Italy, but Austria and France are breathing down your neck. And the satisfaction of finally watching them bite the dust is quite incomparable. It's a kingdom, not a merchant republic, also. Quite a good time!

Milan is fun, but unless you get lucky with CB's you need to be wary of the Emperor. Even if you conquer something, most likely you will not have a core on it which means 50 years of +0.25 infamy per year for each conquered province. It can still be fun, but the beta changes have made it much more challenging. Same thing can be said about any imperial state really, though you can always leave the HRE.

I would say Burgundy is really nice if you want a fairly easy and safe game. Same for Ottos who got a massive buff now that they have cores on all of Anatolia and a tech/unit advantage straight from the beginning. Some really nice missions as a bonus and you will eventualy be bugged by Castille/Aragon/England once you scare the Christians enough or Castille becomes Protector of the Faith, which means you get to use some fleets in the Med.
Since most Muslim neighbours either have your cores or can be declared war on with Horde CB you have lots of choice.

For something more challenging I'd say Holland for a trader; Poland for a land game trying to keep the PU with Lithuania; Denmark similar except you probably get to use navies/colonize more. Hungary can also be a nice challenge. You start with a decent position, but if you let your neighbours expand then you might have to face Austria/Ottos/Poland-Lithuania. Also Golden Horde can coem knocking on your door if they do not collapse early.

I'd like to play as England, France, Austria or Spain -but they're way too easy for an experienced player; even with my modded "very hard" difficulty setting (which is much harder for the player).

any suggestions for making majors much more difficult? should I release all states within my country (example: Austria releases Styria and Tirol) prior to beginning a campaign? how can I do this without making them my vassals?

should I begin the campaign with 10% inflation? or begin at -3 stability?

It'd be fun to play as a major because they have the most interesting events and missions. Also, I'm more familar with their real history.