+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What's a nice, fun nation to play?

Back from moderation hell midget_roxx's Avatar
    200k clubHoI AnthologyCrusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Blog Entries

What's a nice, fun nation to play?

I have a sudden craving for EU3 (I even decided to buy HttT ) but I want to have a good game that doesn't turn me off like my last Brabant game

I've heard Tutonic Order are a good choice, but I'm not sure if I want to have to deal with Poland/Lithuania and Sweden if they get that reclaim Baltic areas event.

I'm not too keen on colonising (but I don't mind it) and I prefer to colonise by warfare, eg India. So far the nations I've played are England, Austria, Brabant and Novogorod/Muscowy.

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindHeir to the ThroneMajesty 2
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

merchant republics can be fun, milan/genoa/venice (novograd as well but a different kind of game for them). Ive pretty much played every nation and they all have there own fun aspects.
    There once was a man from Nantucket, His .....

Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3
    Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband
    Europa Universalis IV

Quote Originally Posted by midget_roxx View Post
    I have a sudden craving for EU3 (I even decided to buy HttT ) but I want to have a good game that doesn't turn me off like my last Brabant game

I've heard Tutonic Order are a good choice, but I'm not sure if I want to have to deal with Poland/Lithuania and Sweden if they get that reclaim Baltic areas event.

I'm not too keen on colonising (but I don't mind it) and I prefer to colonise by warfare, eg India. So far the nations I've played are England, Austria, Brabant and Novogorod/Muscowy.
    France can be fun. The start is actually challenging in HTTT, since you have 3 major powers surrounding you who won't hesitate to attack you if you get entangled in war with the others, each of whom is at least a worthy opponent. Plus you don't even start with cores on a lot of "France", and you have a bunch of vassals instead of own land initially. If you get lucky, there might even be 4 major powers if one of the Italians makes it good. Once you unite France, kick out the English, and defeat the Burgundians, you can do pretty much anything.

Back from moderation hell midget_roxx's Avatar
    200k clubHoI AnthologyCrusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Blog Entries
    Not sure about France since there is so much satisfaction in destroying them when you get your nation up. Venice sounds like a very interesting idea and I plan to do that when I get the chance.

Also what tips can you suggest for armies in HttT, because I've read that they've changed now and have a more moral focussed approach

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus Vult
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneThe Kings CrusadeLost Empire - ImmortalsMagickaMarch of the Eagles
    Victoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper FiSupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Quote Originally Posted by midget_roxx View Post

Also what tips can you suggest for armies in HttT, because I've read that they've changed now and have a more moral focussed approach
    Don't rely on pure-cavalry armies anymore. Mix them with infantry, because otherwise you don't get the tactics bonus (which is a killer in later game). Also, armies with zero morale are immediately completely destroyed if they get into a fight.
    1914-1964 - the Ultimate Strategy Game

EU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

The Papel State is realy fun (even though a bit cheasy)

Of course it is allways the hous rules and individual goals that make up the fun, You can seek to unite the Latin Provinces and then fight for the Catholic faith by becoming defender of the faith and honoring every call. Also go for crusades often.

The biggest challenge is not to grow to fast. Otherwise you can soon kick everyone in the game.
    Advertise here!

200k clubHoI AnthologyCities in MotionCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the Americas
    Deus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneLead and GoldMagickaNaval War: Arctic CircleSemper Fi
    Sword of the StarsVictoria 2Mount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword

Ottomans or Venice. My favorites.
    "What is a hen-teaser?"

"Coffee? What am I, some American who has no tea because he threw it into the ocean, and thus has to settle for coffee?"
    - Volrath50

Commander: Conquest of the Americas

Blog Entries
    Denmark!
    “Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”

A Game of DwarvesCities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus Vult
    DungeonlandEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindFor The GloryFor the Motherland
    GettysburgHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneImpireEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    LegioThe Kings CrusadeMagickaMajesty 2March of the Eagles
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengoku
    Sword of the StarsSword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler 2020 GoldThe Showdown EffectVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneWar of the Roses
    CK2: Holy KnightKnights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderTeleglitch: Die More Edition
    EUIV: Conquest of Paradise

I'm having a blast playing as Georgia. Painting the religious map brown isn't easy either, as the Sunni countries tend to gang up on you the second you declare war on one of them.

Deus VultEU3 Complete

Byzantine Empire.

Nuff said.

Your Friendly Dictator Grubnessul's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDeus VultDiplomacyDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineMagickaMajesty 2EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Sword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband
    Warlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    EUIV: Call to arms event

Banished to the 8th circle of Hell after mentioning rule 34 to Canonized
    Quote Originally Posted by sarganto View Post
    byzantine empire.

Nuff said.
    qft
    "History is form of cybersex!"
    EvilSanta
    "Please, call me Grubby"
    - General Schenkhuizen, Timeslines: What if Spain failed to control the world?
    There might be Vikings out there! Or: How I accidentally traded my wife for a halibut (pining for the Fjords since I lost my USB and the save game)

Patriotism leads to nationalism, nationalism leads to racism, racism leads to suffering...

200k clubCrusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The Glory
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneMagickaSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

ottoman empire
    no more unfinished IN AAR's

Quote Originally Posted by Sarganto View Post
    Byzantine Empire.

Nuff said.
    I agree with Nuff.

Blog Entries
    Byzantines are kind of heavy for someone who just goes back to the game.
    “Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the ThroneVictoria 2

Byzantines are great if you just make spies free

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pfax View Post
    Byzantines are great if you just make spies free
    You can do it without cheats like that.

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the ThroneVictoria: Revolutions
    Victoria 2500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

I'm a big fan of Milan because it's quite challenging. You strive to unite Italy, but Austria and France are breathing down your neck. And the satisfaction of finally watching them bite the dust is quite incomparable. It's a kingdom, not a merchant republic, also. Quite a good time!
    "You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."
    -Obi Wan Kenobi

Follow my adventures in the Republic of Georgia!

Hey Star Wars fans! Check out this new Forum for discussing all things Star Wars!

Milan is fun, but unless you get lucky with CB's you need to be wary of the Emperor. Even if you conquer something, most likely you will not have a core on it which means 50 years of +0.25 infamy per year for each conquered province. It can still be fun, but the beta changes have made it much more challenging. Same thing can be said about any imperial state really, though you can always leave the HRE.

I would say Burgundy is really nice if you want a fairly easy and safe game. Same for Ottos who got a massive buff now that they have cores on all of Anatolia and a tech/unit advantage straight from the beginning. Some really nice missions as a bonus and you will eventualy be bugged by Castille/Aragon/England once you scare the Christians enough or Castille becomes Protector of the Faith, which means you get to use some fleets in the Med.
    Since most Muslim neighbours either have your cores or can be declared war on with Horde CB you have lots of choice.

For something more challenging I'd say Holland for a trader; Poland for a land game trying to keep the PU with Lithuania; Denmark similar except you probably get to use navies/colonize more. Hungary can also be a nice challenge. You start with a decent position, but if you let your neighbours expand then you might have to face Austria/Ottos/Poland-Lithuania. Also Golden Horde can coem knocking on your door if they do not collapse early.

I'd like to play as England, France, Austria or Spain -but they're way too easy for an experienced player; even with my modded "very hard" difficulty setting (which is much harder for the player).

any suggestions for making majors much more difficult? should I release all states within my country (example: Austria releases Styria and Tirol) prior to beginning a campaign? how can I do this without making them my vassals?

should I begin the campaign with 10% inflation? or begin at -3 stability?

It'd be fun to play as a major because they have the most interesting events and missions. Also, I'm more familar with their real history.

200k clubCities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3
    Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteFor The GloryHeir to the ThroneMajesty II Collection
    Naval War: Arctic CircleSword of the StarsMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Blog Entries
    All hail Richard XI, King of the Mod, Grand Duke of Simcity 4, and Tsar of All the Awesomes - The_Shepherd

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast