• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

COGlory

Mr. Blue Sky
108 Badges
Jan 16, 2008
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Gold Edition
  • Tyranny - Tales from the Tiers
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Victoria 2
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
I'm not a Steam hater, or anything like that, but for modding purposes, and convenience purposes, a lot of people don't want the Steam version of Warband, which is what comes with the CD.

So here's how to install it without Steam.

1. Download Steam: http://cdn.steampowered.com/download/SteamInstall.msi
Make sure you save the setup file! You will need it later!

2. Follow through with the installation. Log in, or create an account if you don't have one.

3. Get your Mount&Blade Warband box. Click "Add game" down on the bottom left of the Steam window. Enter your Warband serial key that is on the box. Download and install, or install it from the CD. Your choice.

4. Right click on your taskbar. Select "Task Manager" Select "New Task" type "regedit"

5. You will see a list of folders. Select "HKEY_CURRENT_USER" Then select "Software" and then scroll down until you find "MountandBladeWarbandKeys" Select that. On the right is a key. Save this somewhere. An alternate way of doing this is by pressing "Ctrl+F" and searching for "Warband"

6. Run the Steam setup again, the one you saved from step 1. Follow the prompts and it should un-install just fine.

7. Go to www.taleworlds.com and download Warband. Install and follow the prompts.

8. Open the Launcher. If it allows you to activate, enter the key you saved. If not, then it found it already in the registry. Voila! You're finished!

This should also work for the original M&B, if you bought it from Steam, but want to install mods easier etc.

Last edited:
Thats good Info, thanks, altough i got my M&B in Retail (non steam version), and the M&B Warband from Gamersgate, so i dont have trouble with Steam :)

I suppose.
The most important is, I think, that by fishing this key, the described method works and a TW downloaded version can be activated. The key is referenced as Warband multiplayer key. That is why I cant answer affirmatively to the question.

Officially disappointed.

This will be my very own 'Seriously Paradox!' post...

I'm really disappointed. By buying M&B:Warband in a retail store, I hoped to avoid having to use Steam (and it was cheaper...). It didn't work out that well (alright, it was cheaper at least).
By the way, I didn't find the key in the registry, I found it inside the Steam application somewhere (which had some trouble installing in the first place).
I have a few problems with Steam I don't want to cite here, as you are not really in any relevant way connected to Valve, so it would be pointless.

My point is if you sell your game in retail stores, would you be so kind, and sell a retail version? I would appreciate it.

p.s.: It worked out in the end, I can use my copy without being forced to actually use Steam, but if I couldn't work around it, I would have passed.

It has been discussed before. The developers decide what goes where, and steams "auto-patch" function does simplify things when it comes to multiplayer games.
There is supposed to be a bigger sticker saying that it is a "Steam-game" if this solution is used again, though.

Meanwhile, Warband has always been available at D2D and Gamers Gate as well.

I admit, it was stated on the cover of the DVD-box, I wasn't paying enough attention. Maybe I was caught off-guard because it was a retail product. That won't happen again, I guess...

I know i just got here but please allow me to say:

Booger! There's a retail version 'sans-Steam'? Oh wait.. of the origonal. I have that one.

Long story short: I purchased the origonal M&B on a lark and was compleetly blown away. When i heard that a 'sequel' was out already, i pounced like a vicious wite rabbit... then this Steam thing happened.

Yes, it is printed on the box "Steam is required to play" and yes it could be printed a fair bit larger and more obviously located. Whatever your opinions or problems with Steam, the notice is presented more like a dirty little secret than an association that is a requirement for activation (which when i think about it like that it is kinda funny or currious. Depends on how you look at it) Personaly, i don't care for it one little bit. Large networking programs and auto-updating software, while fun and clever, are not kind to 56k modems (trust me if there was an alternative, i'd have it) We're on hour 7 of trying to get Steam just to finish installing. I'm about to call it a night. I have to work in the morning.

But all of that adds up to about a pair of empty coconut halves when you consider the fact that another fun side-effect to living and working on a tropical island in the middle of the pacific is that you have to mail-order EVERYTHING and Amazon.com (from whom i ordered my retail version that still requires Steam) Did not see fit to make this further requirement known. I was not awear of it untill i had the box in my hand and the disk in the drive, wondering why it was trying to install Steam.

The truth of the matter is i was standing-by to go off on my own little tangent. This whole mess had dropped Paradox Interactive and associates down a few notches on my personal cleverness ledger (about on par with Ubisoft after i found out how they ph*cked Silent Hunter 5) but after looking through this thred my faith is restored and not because it fixed my problems. Rather because the questions i had wanted to ask had been asked (tho not in quite so harsh words as i had planned) and answers were recived... REAL answers. They were about what i thought they'd be but it's the fact that they're there, where i've seen and red (and know others have too) other companies and organizations giving the runaround or just plain ignoring it all together. In short: much has been done to soothe my ruffled feathers this night and i apreciate it, dispite intentions (or lack there of)

I look forward to playing Warband... eventualy. And hope to see more fine software from Paradox in the future. And respectfully and sincierly urge the developers to reconcider future releases with similar requirements. Or at least be prepaired to present an alternative.

Enjoy,
~Me

Coincidently: if anyone knows a way to get this to work that does NOT involve downloading mountains of data i would apreciate a ring-back.

Hmmm....as far as I know, you have to download something. My only suggestion would be to see if there's someone near you that has faster internet, put the files on a flash drive or something.

Sorry to hear that, it's really a fun game, I can understand your disappointment. I've only been dial-up free for a couple years myself.

another fun side-effect to living and working on a tropical island in the middle of the pacific

This is where I stopped feeling sorry for you :D

Naah, I can see how being sandbagged by steam is a great pita.
So I'll at least give you the official words:
2. Why Steam? Please note - you may or may not agree with this, I'm not posting this to persuade you either way. But since the Steam installer is not going to go away - you might be interested in knowing our thinking process:

- We don't micro manage everything our devs teams do. Taleworlds saw many advantages with the Steam installer and we agreed with them so the decision was made.

Other advantages we saw:
- It reduces lead times (print lead times are 6-8 weeks)
- Eliminates the need for physical discs
- Allows for flexibility in patching and automatic updates
- Reduces certain (potential) technical issues
- Testing of patches before going public

3. Could we have made it clearer that the Steam installer is included? Absolutely, currently the box has an information section about it but we'll look into how we can make it even clearer moving forward.

Kind regards
Susana Meza

and later on she also says "If you've already purchased the game, feel free to contact me via PM." about purchase options and having been blindsided by steam.
So if you are having unsolvable problems with your installation, you should PM Susana: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/private.php?do=newpm&u=33330
(However, you might have to give four weeks for reply, given that it is holiday season in Sweden right now, and I can't guarantee that she is at work.)

That said, I am happy that this thread gave you some consolation already, and I hope that the Steam installation finally worked out (as it sounds as if you were trying for).

Update:

Well i finally did get steam to work as advertised. It took another 6 or 8 hours working on steam itself and then 10 or 15 more, downloading updates to Warband but it is finally running and offline. I might have made a note earlier but according to Steam i've logged 36 hours on Warband, which may not seem like much but when you concider what my work schedule has been like lately it's practicaly every spare moment i had since the game was installed.

A.A.R.:
Dialup REALLY sucks. Someone mentioned finding someone localy with a faster connection but unfortunately the closest anything is a couple hundred miles west of here... Not really much untill you mention haveing to swim for it.

Steam is not all that goofed up. It has good intentions and the option to play offline is a huge plus. I just wish they had an option on their update section that says something to the effect of "Ph*ck the updates i just wanna play the game please!" but that's not on you guys.

Warband is a big step above anything out there right now. I enjoy this game on a level that no program has reached me upon in many many years. If i had to compare it to anything it would be the origonal Pirates game (Sid Myer) and i was just as enthralled by that game back in the day. I did an overnight last weekend (played all night) and didn't even think about it untill bedtime the next night.

I have not yet attempted to contact Susana largely because the issue has been resolved (technicaly) in that it is functioning as intended. I may however contact her at a later time, if only to add my voice to what i'm sure are the many of indipendent voices who insist that Mount and Blade would be better without Steam. True she's not a developer but she had a hand in the desicion making process and she did sorta open herself up to it. ... but then maybe this is enough.

Final: I look forward to many an hour sweet happieness killing, maming, getting over on fellow lords and staying up well past bedtime.

Good hunting.

.... Supose someone modded a horse that just has the character skip about, banging two empty halves of coconut together?

... Just saying....

Glad to hear you got it working! If you don't think that you need the patches, or you'd rather download them at your own time, when you don't want to use the phone, there should be a way to disable them in the Steam settings.

Funnny, I'm looking to see if my GamersGate copy can be unlocked for Steam.

I can't get steam to work and install a retail version of the game - their (steam) support staff were as useful as a chocolate fireguard!!!

This is one game I will not be playing whilst it is on steam - pitty, I enjoyed playing mount & blade

I'm so confused!!!

Okay....I'm so confused and frustrated. I have the retail version of the game and the game still crashes. I also play online sometimes and it still crashes. What the heck do I need to do to get it to STOP crashing?!?! I can barely play the game because it crashes every time I get into a battle. It's so frustrating! I tried the thing above to use the game without steam but I don't have the software thing in the current user thing. And I'm not computer illiterate. I usually have to fix other people's comps.

The retail version is the steam version (which it has been admitted could have been made clearer on the box)

The problem now seems to be that steam does no longer offer install keys, having instead removed the need for that activation key in the steam version.

Have you checked "game information" tab in steam to see if you have any activation keys there? Else you'll have to open an issue with steam that their awards system is crashing the game.
(If you can manage to get a better internet connection to steam, that should also solve the problem.)
Compare this thread: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?500036-Crashes-when-not-on-steam-online

Hmm? The retail version shouldn't be crashing. Steam also offers install keys, as far as I know. Retail versions should give you a valid 4x4 key. You should be able to follow the instructions above.