• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
0.49 was developed for 1.02. Anything above is experimental and seems to have at least a couple of problems.

The plan now is to finish 0.41 for ARM as the "final" Version for Armageddon (entering Beta now) and then carry this version over into AoD 1.04 as CORE 0.50.

What remains to be discussed is wether this will be a major revision, since AoD requires several changes to the basic design of CORE or another port with an 0.51 coming on later.

0.49 was developed for 1.02. Anything above is experimental and seems to have at least a couple of problems.

The plan now is to finish 0.41 for ARM as the "final" Version for Armageddon (entering Beta now) and then carry this version over into AoD 1.04 as CORE 0.50.

What remains to be discussed is wether this will be a major revision, since AoD requires several changes to the basic design of CORE or another port with an 0.51 coming on later.

Uf... that means we are still long way from fully compatible and working CORE for AOD... :(:(:(

As far as I see the current version is compatible and working ...

Which does not mean things cannot get better. :D

Hrm. I'm using Steam, and after installing 0.4.9 and the Black & White graphics pack and starting it up, it uses the default loading screen, main menu, and single player menu, and it doesn't show any scenarios. I suspect that this has to do with the command lines on the shortcuts no longer working with 1.04(I had 0.4.9 before on 1.04RC4 and it worked fine), but I'm not sure how to fix it. Checksum when I launch what was once CORE is HCFQ.

Just reinstalled and tried again; same result, except the checksum was KXOS.

Last edited:
No scenarios or just one scenario? If there is just one scenario, you have the correct install. CORE comes only with a 1936 scenario.

As far as I see the current version is compatible and working ...

Which does not mean things cannot get better. :D

well, I don't mean to criticize an excellent work but...

although you can say that current version of CORE is compatible with AOD and that it is working, it has some big flaws which make game practically unplayable;

1. convoy raiding with subs doesn't work
2. convoy raiding with surface fleet doesn't work
3. stacking problem (AI afraid of attacking big stacks so SCW always ends in stalemate while Germany need forever to conquer Poland)
4. Japan always overruns China in late 1938
5. carriers are uselles since only their first shot actually hit, after that they fire "blank"
6. strategic bombing is bugged
etc

Again, I didn't mean to critcize, I just wanted to say that there is still a lot of work before we will see a fully compatible CORE for AOD release. But in any case, thumbs up for great work :)

With 1.04 out I reckon it to be highly likely to do a hotfix for it, if we aren't able to release a full 0.4.1 crossover to 1.04 any time soon.

well, I don't mean to criticize an excellent work but...

although you can say that current version of CORE is compatible with AOD and that it is working, it has some big flaws which make game practically unplayable

I think your criticism is fair enough, Spricar. I wouldn't go so far as to say "unplayable", but as it stands the game is significantly short of the true CORE experience.

The problem facing the devs was that they either had to release an 'unfinished' mod or shelve the project altogether until a settled AoD version was available. They chose to go the former route in order to let people see what CORE was all about, and that did leave some features working less than well. This was of course compounded by the fact that AoD itself went through several incarnations in the time that the this first CORE port was being developed. Despite the teams communicating there were obviously going to be knock-on effects from that.

If you visit the CORE forum (http://terranova.dk/portal.php?sid=4d487afa3e7e5be3f76197d2d456807c) you'll see that they're working at a frantic pace trying to get the hotfix that Hagar mentions up and running while still maintaining their push toward 0.4.1 (which should deliver a more effective AoD/CORE blend).

That said, I think you were right in your earlier post when you projected
that means we are still long way from fully compatible and working CORE for AOD
Fully compatible is a big ask. The task of dovetailing CORE to AoD in a way that optimises the unique features of both is an enormous undertaking and, as Teg has indicated, we're not likely to get the full complement of bells and whistles until 0.5 at least.

Until then, it looks to me as if the fixes in the works should knock down the problems you've currently identified.

Suggestion: Remove the mod-CORE2 subfolder and let Steam verify the game files. You should then get the vanilla checksum of KXOS (assuming it's the same with Steam, please verify with other threads here).
If files are verified by steam, reinstall Core: install graphics pack first (point the graphics pack installer to your AoD game directory, it auto-installs the graphics in the correct places , then Core.
Does it work now ?
Please remember to apply the quickfixes from the thread here before starting any game.

Suggestion: Remove the mod-CORE2 subfolder and let Steam verify the game files. You should then get the vanilla checksum of KXOS (assuming it's the same with Steam, please verify with other threads here).
If files are verified by steam, reinstall Core: install graphics pack first (point the graphics pack installer to your AoD game directory, it auto-installs the graphics in the correct places , then Core.
Does it work now ?
Please remember to apply the quickfixes from the thread here before starting any game.

Did all of this, exact same result as before.

Okay, lets go with your earlier idea of a shortcut problem and create a new shortcut for AoD 1.04 + CORE 0.4.9. Forgive me if I'm over-explicit with this , but I'm a dummy in such matters myself and need to have things spelled out in detail.

First, go into the Arsenal of Democracy folder in which you've installed the 1.04 version and CORE 0.4.9, and locate your AoD exe - it's the square icon labelled aodgame. Right-click on that, and on the menu that displays left-click on the Create Shortcut item. This will create a shortcut within your AoD folder that you can drag to your desktop.

Once you have the shortcut on your desktop re-name it so you don't get it confused with any previous CORE or AoD installations. Then right-click on it, and on the menu that displays left-click Properties. On the resulting display you'll find a field labelled Target: and in that field a line starting with a set of inverted commas (") then showing the installation path of the game you're modding and ending with \aodgame.exe". At the end of that line add a space and mod-CORE2. Don't include the full-stop.

In the bottom right-hand corner of the display the Apply button should now be available - left-click on that. Then left-click OK and, voila, you're finished. Double clicking the new shortcut should now open the AoD 1.04 + CORE 0.4.9 game. Fingers-crossed it solves the problem.

Again, no luck.

Just to clear up any possible confusion, I've finally gotten around to getting screenshots. I apologize in advance for the laziness of the third picture. Note that the text refers to the picture below it, rather than above. I wasn't sure what layout people would be most familiar with, so I made a random guess.

This is the main menu. Pre-1.04, it was... whatever it was previously. I can't remember and don't really feel like going into the gfx files.

screenshot1.jpg

This is the scenario menu. Again, pre-1.04, it had a different background, and actually had the 1936-1953 scenario.

screenshot2.jpg

Here are the 3 shortcuts for launching CORE. They are, from left to right: the shortcut Epaminondas had me create, the shortcut CORE created on my desktop, and the shortcut CORE created in the start menu.

screenshot3.jpg

This is my Arsenal of Democracy folder.

screenshot4.jpg

This is the mod-CORE2 folder.

screenshot5.jpg

Okay, something screwy is definitely going on. Your CORE folder is in the right place and the CORE download looks complete but you're not getting CORE anywhere, not even the CORE load screen.

I've been running off 1.04RC myself but now that D2D has come through with 1.04 I'll install that and try to track through. One last thing you might try in the meantime is making a fresh install of AoD 1.04 outside the Program Files folder. I know that locating it in there has caused problems for some people but I thought that it was only for Vista users. It might be worth giving it a go out of desperation anyway. After all, what have you got to lose but time - and in exchange for that you get a nice load of frustration.

Here are the 3 shortcuts for launching CORE. They are, from left to right: the shortcut Epaminondas had me create, the shortcut CORE created on my desktop, and the shortcut CORE created in the start menu.

screenshot3.jpg

Did you put a spacebar in the "mod-CORE2" in target? Remove it.

Did you put a spacebar in the "mod-CORE2" in target? Remove it.

Nope, the only space is between the quotes and letter m. Unfortunately, since print screen-taken screenshots don't show the cursor-typing-thing, I cannot demonstrate this.

I am currently in the process of copying my Arsenal of Democracy folder to my desktop so I can see if that works. Also, this may or may not be related, but before steam auto-patched the game to 1.04 the steam loading window didn't pop up when I ran the CORE shortcuts.

Did you try running it from Steam?

EDIT: Clarification: Steam - Library, right click the game, properties, set launch options, type mod-CORE2.

Thanks! That made it work perfectly, from what I can tell. Menus are what they were before with CORE. I totally forgot about that option, it's been... I dunno... years... since I've had to use it.

In case this affects anything, the checksum is HIVO.