• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
What of Halder, Keitel, Blomberg, younger Hindenburg and some other generals?
Prussian army officers coming forth, while the normal HoI generals of the Dritte Reich would remain in the shadows?

Uncommonly clever glimpse into Göring's mind there. Papen creeps me out.

What of Halder, Keitel, Blomberg, younger Hindenburg and some other generals?
Prussian army officers coming forth, while the normal HoI generals of the Dritte Reich would remain in the shadows?

Because of Bock's association with Wilhelm, and Brauchitsch's cavalry escapades during the 1933 Rising, Keitel and Halder never achieve their prominence in the headquarters staff.

Blomberg accidentally got shorted in the last two updates; his rank of "Generalfeldmarschall (Preuss.)" has now been shortened by eliminating the qualifier thanks to the union of East Prussia and the rest of Germany, giving Germany a grand total of three people waving batons around (Blomberg, Bock, and Raeder). I would have sworn I dealt with this when discussing Bock's review of the campaign, but apparently I didn't.

Oskar von Hindenburg is the head of the Abwehr, a "social general" with no field command.

I mentioned Fritsch because I don't believe I'd mentioned up until now who wound up as commandant at Lichterfelde; Fritsch is both senior and a relative innovator. He will not stay at Lichterfelde, but they needed someone with prestige similar to Schleicher's to replace Schleicher.

You should listen to this Kurt Tank fellow, methinks he is onto something.

:D

Uncommonly clever glimpse into Göring's mind there. Papen creeps me out.

Thanks; Goering's beens sidelined recently, but as I've said elsewhere, the build queue swings in his favor right about now. Germany really did have serious aluminum issues, and the two big bauxite reserves in Europe are in former Yugoslavia and in Greece. The Greek supply is ITL in Turkish hands, so that's more reliable than the wing-and-prayer approach they had OTL, and the Yugoslav supply... will be dealt with later.

You should listen to this Kurt Tank fellow, methinks he is onto something.

:D

Initial production of the massive first wave of Luftwaffe fighters will be with the Daimler inline engine; however, the BMW 801 radial is the standard by 1941, when it matters. Why is Vogt arguing in favor of a radial-engined 109? Because the Fw 190's stall speed is even higher than the 109's, making it unsuitable for carrier operations given the available carriers, but Tank's basic reasoning for radial engines - they're tougher than inlines - is sound. Now if only I could find pictures of the Bf 109 with the radial engine; they did build a couple of prototypes.

EDIT: Oh wait...

me109v21.jpg

Last edited:
Feel free - all I've got is the prototype with the P&W radial. That one pic is it. :p

I still think that for the Luftwaffe the -190 is the way to go. It's a far more versatile Aircraft, it has a better rough-field capability and not to forget that it can fly for longer than twice around the field before running out of petrol.

I'd rather send them as a PM, since some have naughty symbols in them.

I still think that for the Luftwaffe the -190 is the way to go. It's a far more versatile Aircraft, it has a better rough-field capability and not to forget that it can fly for longer than twice around the field before running out of petrol.

I agree; that is in fact what happens. In a bizarre twist of fate, Willy Messerschmitt becomes the chief supplier of fighter aircraft to the Kaiser's navy. Why? Because the Luftwaffe doesn't have time to get married to the 109, and it actually takes less work, most of which is already done, to make the 109 a carrier fighter. The 190 is Germany's Corsair - it'll require a whole new class of ship to make it carrier-viable, and those days are in the far future.

I'd rather send them as a PM, since some have naughty symbols in them.

Fine with me. Send away.

I agree; that is in fact what happens. In a bizarre twist of fate, Willy Messerschmitt becomes the chief supplier of fighter aircraft to the Kaiser's navy. Why? Because the Luftwaffe doesn't have time to get married to the 109, and it actually takes less work, most of which is already done, to make the 109 a carrier fighter. The 190 is Germany's Corsair - it'll require a whole new class of ship to make it carrier-viable, and those days are in the far future.

Oh yes. But does that mean that the D-9 and the Ta-152 wont happen, since they used a Jumo In-line?

Fine with me. Send away.

Most are either model box-art or shots of models. Most need some editing because of the swastika.

The only other actual Photograph I just found after sending the PM.

bf109v21002swfoto2wh1.jpg

ALso, don't forget the Me-109 TL. As in Jet. Turbojet.

Made with bits from the 262, the Me 155 and a few other ones by the looks of it.

me109tl1fn41.jpg

Guess we will be seeing the man present at the dinner for some while now. Just miss Runstedt or Leeb, two capable generals with the right credentials to be favoured by the Emperor.

Like the fact a man like Heinrici is now part of the upper echelon. He was one of the few man actually refusing the worst of the Nazi's orders and could get away with it :D. Did his portrayal in The Last Battle influence your portrayal of our Poison Dwarf?

Guess we will be seeing the man present at the dinner for some while now. Just miss Runstedt or Leeb, two capable generals with the right credentials to be favoured by the Emperor.

Like the fact a man like Heinrici is now part of the upper echelon. He was one of the few man actually refusing the worst of the Nazi's orders and could get away with it :D. Did his portrayal in The Last Battle influence your portrayal of our Poison Dwarf?

Don't worry about Rundstedt or Leeb; they're at the dinner, just neither of them got promoted out of this round. They both do quite well out of things. Rundstedt gets a baton in France, Leeb is part of the solution to the bauxite problem. I actually really like Rundstedt, because I can appreciate any man who wears a colonel's uniform because he can't be bothered to wear anything else.

Regarding Heinrici - actually, that's the one Cornelius Ryan book I've never read. It came from his Wikipedia entry. I've read enough other things to know I liked the man, but couldn't remember why. He also does well out of things.

Nice update concerning the different fields of warfare. I like the way you portrait some people, with their inner thoughts etc. Nice psychology and group psychology thing going on there! But if I understand it correctly, you get a lot of events that make units available? Like event New Aircraft Carrier is ready for deployment etc? Do you actually produce things yourself?

What is the current state of the military, in Air Force and Naval particular?

Keep continuing writing such nice and detailed posts!

Tim

Nice update concerning the different fields of warfare. I like the way you portrait some people, with their inner thoughts etc. Nice psychology and group psychology thing going on there! But if I understand it correctly, you get a lot of events that make units available? Like event New Aircraft Carrier is ready for deployment etc? Do you actually produce things yourself?

What is the current state of the military, in Air Force and Naval particular?

Keep continuing writing such nice and detailed posts!

Tim

No, the carriers and most of the surface fleet are long-term build queue items. I get the standard Plan Z stuff, which does not include a carrier according to Mod33. By '39, the Luftwaffe consists of one Tac squadron (Luftsportverband, under Grauert), which I start with, and one Transport squadron (Lufthansa, under Zander), which I get from a mobilization event. They explode and modernize starting in 1939, which is why I figure now's a good time to express Goering's bauxite frustrations. The fleet consists of the three pocket battleships, Scharnhorst and Gneisenau, the three Hippers, the aviation cruisers Hindenburg and Germania, the upgraded pre-dreadnoughts Schleswig-Holstein and Schlesien (considered to be equivalent to Bayern-class dreadnoughts), the three K-class cruisers, a handful of destroyers, and a seemingly infinite supply of Type IX boats, which form the backbone of the U-waffe rather than the Type VII. There were four stacks of 99 building, so it was unlikely that I was going to run out of U-boats.

The general breakdown by 1941, when it matters, is this (with the caveat that I cannot be absolutely certain which savegames were from this runthrough, but my build results and event results generally look like this):

Kaiserliche Marine
Battleship fleet (Raeder) - 6 battleships
Battlecruiser fleet (Raeder) - 6 battlecruisers
Auxiliary fleet (Raeder) - Hippers and Deutschlands, total 6 CA
Carrier fleet ("Canaris," in-game Marschall) - 4 modern carriers, 2 aviation cruisers
Submarine fleet (Dönitz and others) - 18 Type IX flotilla, 4 Type VII flotilla, 2 Type II flotilla

Reichsheer
Armored force (various) - 26 divisions armor, mostly PzKpfW IV
Mobile force (various) - 6 divisions mot. inf.
Guards armored corps (Manstein) - 2 armored, 1 mechanized
1., 2. Guards infantry corps (various) - 6 divisions mot. inf.
Line infantry divisions (various) - 60 divisions plus 40 in subsequent mobilization events
"Freikorps Stahlhelm" - 4 divisions militia
Airborne corps (Student) - 3 divisions

Luftwaffe
12 squadrons CAS (various)
12 squadrons TAC (various)
12 squadrons INT (various)
6 squadrons FTR (various)
3 squadrons Transports (Zander)

Of these, the real standout for event-based units are the infantry divisions, which mobilize from reserves and, scarily enough, often start with 1918-era equipment.

... the upgraded pre-dreadnoughts Schleswig-Holstein and Schlesien (considered to be equivalent to Bayern-class dreadnoughts)

I'm sorry, but I think that this is too generous for those old pieces of crap...

I'm sorry, but I think that this is too generous for those old pieces of crap...

I agree in general; there's an event early on that gives you a series of choices for naval modernization, which results in the two old BCs being changed from tier-one BCs to tier-one BBs. I don't see a realistic way of packing equivalent firepower to a post-Dreadnought battleship onto a 10-kiloton pre-Dreadnought frame, but the event's there (and for the record, I also don't see how you can turn a ship the length and build of the Hannover into an aviation cruiser with any success, it's fifty meters shorter than the Langley, which was already outclassed by the mid-1930s). As it happens, they're part of the Baltic Fleet, so it winds up being academic.

I'm a bit curious how you managed to prevent the Soviets from declaring war. When I tried to play somewhat as you describe in your AAR, i.e. no M-R pact, the Soviets either declare war on Lithuania a short time after I'm done with my Poland campaign, or, in case I declare war on Lithuania to "preventively" take it over, they declare war on my or a member of my alliance.