• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
So we will have a war against godless communism with a religious undertone? Still, many protestant Junkers will not look kindly upon militarising the old catholic knightly orders, even if its just for propaganda purposes, or getting Papal blessing. But I guess Papen can bumble through it unscathed.

Guess saying I'm looking forward to the Russian campaign is unnessecary.

Politics, always politics :D but the death of the son of the Kaiser has led to a lot of trouble, as a lot of men still struggle to get over it. Anyways can't look forward to the battle with the USSR...hopefully the Germans will now be able to capture Moscow and install a nice and shiny Grand Duke of Muscovy or something like that...split the whole nation up...

...and don't forget to cry havoc, and let slip the dogs of war.

So Willy wants to fly into the Weltall. Isn't it a bit early for that?? I think his speech would leave the majority of his people puzzled and bewildered, wondering if perhaps the Kaiser has gone a little mad over the loss of his son, to become so esoteric in his public speeches :p

They're probably equally bewildered by the fact that he's making an Easter speech. :p

A sane Kaiser is no Kaiser at all :p a bit of insanity is good for the nation ... :D

And at least this Kaiser isn't going to go calling the British culturally insane. :p

Marshalls in Poland mean only on thing. It shall begin!

Mannerheim? Finland in your alliance?

You know, I honestly don't remember, I'd have to go and check the postwar maps, see if Finland made any territorial gains. If they did, that'd be a surefire clue. Can't imagine me not doing that, since I brought the Turks in to open up two separate extra fronts.

So we will have a war against godless communism with a religious undertone? Still, many protestant Junkers will not look kindly upon militarising the old catholic knightly orders, even if its just for propaganda purposes, or getting Papal blessing. But I guess Papen can bumble through it unscathed.

Guess saying I'm looking forward to the Russian campaign is unnessecary.

They're already militarized, insofar as many of the members are also serving officers and old nobility, and partially Protestantized; the Johanniters, for instance, are pretty much the personal domain of the Hohenzollern princes. The Teutonic Order served a similar purpose for the Habsburgs, and the HuD-Regiment's traditional colonel-in-chief is the Hoch- und Deutschmeister, though Archduke Eugen gave up the title in the '20s.

Now a bulk reply to everyone who wants to see Stalin hung from the spire at St. Basil's... be patient, I've told you before that happens in May of '44. This is just poking the bear. Given the way updates have telescoped recently, I figure I'll probably write about that about the same time I get a real job and have to move.

Coming up, provided I read my own notes and actually write the AAR based on said notes:

People Stuff
- Kurt Student's birthday party and the Most Sarcastic Man In Germany
- Rommel in Turkey
- Guderian in Persia
- Wilhelm Volkmann Learns To Swim (and also speak Russian)

Toy Stuff
- The He 177, or, "You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!"
- The Me 262 in usable numbers, versus an air force that doesn't exist
- The sloped-armor generation of tanks

Politics
- Continued prodding of the Bear
- The Portuguese Purchase

89. The Most Sarcastic Man In Germany

Fallschirmhalle
Stendal, German Empire
12 May 1943

Paratroopers, Wilhelm Volkmann mused, never did anything by halves. Whether it was seizing Eben-Emael, passing the Kaiser's reviewing stand, or just holding a birthday party, excess was always the rule of the day, in one way or another. The entirety of Stendal was evidence of this: What had been a grass strip until very recently was fully paved, with three runways, and the Kaserne, which had held a division's worth of soldiers comfortably, had exploded to hold the central airborne school, the administrative apparatus of the new Oberbefehlshabender der Fallschirmtruppen, and the three currently-raised airborne divisions, with room for expansion.

The birthday party was no exception. The former post officers' club and ballroom had been completely taken over by an airborne theme when Stendal had been declared Germany's parachutist center. Green silk canopies had been transformed into bunting, with outsized copies of the highest decorations won by the attendees acting as rosettes to secure the bunting. Fifteen minutes after the last official toast was completed, there were officers clearly too inebriated to carry themselves home. It was fortunate that this was a dining-in, with no spouses, if only because someone was bound to do something inappropriate.

The guest of honor - also the president of the mess in this case - watched the entire celebration with amused tolerance from the head table. Generalfeldmarschall Kurt Student was fifty-three years old, and had achieved a rise nothing short of meteoric after the hard fighting of the past several years. That fighting was also why he did not attempt to impose order. This was one more opportunity to release some of the strain that all of the veterans held in them like a coiled spring. Wilhelm was not seated at the head table, as he was technically a guest here due to the gray uniform he now wore, but the Pour le Merite, and the half-dozen battle cuff titles he wore, put him far closer to it than a mere Hauptmann would otherwise sit. Like many of the others, Wilhelm never quite reached the small table separate from the head table, with a black tablecloth and a broken identification plate in the place of its sole seat's occupant. There was simply too much "there but for the grace of God" in that table.

He also did his best not to overdo the drinking; Rita had complained often enough when he tried to drown out the nightmares. She had even spent a stony, bruised day not explaining to him what he had done the night before, and he was frankly terrified of that happening again. Others had no such reservations. One of them, gigantic and lurching with a bottle of brandy liberated from the bar, stumbled up to his table. Otto Skorzeny had his own new decorations: around his throat was a blue-yellow-blue ribbon with a large medal suspended from it. It took Wilhelm a moment to recognize it - a crown surrounded by an oak wreath, with a pair of crossed swords obscuring the suspension ring. Otto Skorzeny was now Otto Ritter von Skorzeny, Knight of the Iron Crown, Second Class. Wilhelm thought the Pour le Merite was a much better-looking award.

"Willi Volkmann!" Skorzeny leered, slouching into a chair and jutting his feet out. His throat clasp was popped open, showing the white shirt collar beneath. He let out a belch as his backside hit the chair, and he lifted the brandy in mock-salute. "Skorzeny," Wilhelm replied, sipping his own drink, ironically the same brandy which Skorzeny had decided to cut the middleman on. "Willi Willi Willi," the Austrian mused, glancing at the mouth of the bottle before apparently finding the thread of his thoughts. "Off to some special Army reg'ment, ja? Y'know, when I heard, I put in the forms, thought I could transform... that I could transfer... 'cause, you know, engineer an' all that. They said no. Said I was a 'member of an extremist political organization' 'fore I joined up." The bitter tone made Skorzeny seem surprisingly sober for a moment, and Wilhelm shrugged. "I'm sorry, Otto. We could've used you." The truth was that Wilhelm had been one of the references Skorzeny had put down, and he had given his honest opinion: the Austrian was brave, but he was also reckless even when there was no price attached to the alternative. He would take chances that would get men killed, and he would walk out the other side unscathed. Plus, he had been a Nazi back in the early '30s before the Anschluss. Only Hitler's defeat in the Rising had led to his desertion of the Party. That desertion actually spoke against him, because it made him look like an opportunist.

"So now they got me as a training company commander!" Skorzeny complained, drinking again. "Teachin' quasi-froggie Alsatians an' Great Danes to jump outta Millipedes!" As Skorzeny continued to drink, continued to take up space at the table, Wilhelm simply did not wish to be around him, so he stood, muttering, "Excuse me," and stepped out to get a breath of air. Unsurprisingly, he saw officers urinating against the side of the building, against the trees, even against some of the parked cars. A thin-faced man in Luftwaffe blue emerged from the building next to him, peaked cap forgotten and shaved-bald head slicked in sweat. He smelled like he, too, had been drinking, but he was at least upright, and barely weaving. His speech, when he spoke, was un-slurred.

"Jesus, what a night!" he exclaimed, running his hand back over his scalp. "You paras aren't people, you're animals." He glanced over at Wilhelm, only then noticing that Wilhelm's uniform was field-gray, not dark green, and doing a double-take at the long list of awards. "So which one of us salutes first?" he asked drily, gesturing at the blue cross. He himself was a Generalmajor, without airborne qualifications, with a 1914 Iron Cross at his breast and a 1941 clasp showing that he had re-earned it in France somehow, and a senior corporal's stripes to show he had fought in the '34 Rising as a volunteer. He looked far too young both for his rank and his baldness, though given the shorn-headed hairstyle currently popular in the Fallschirmtruppen, that could have been voluntary.

He waved his hand in dismissal of any reply Wilhelm might make, then pulled out a cigarette from a silver case. He lit it, then took a deep drag from it before transferring it to his left hand and offering his right. "Bittrich. Wilhelm Bittrich." Volkmann took the hand, shaking vigorously and offering his own name. "Wilhelm Volkmann, sir." Bittrich snorted in reply and grinned at Volkmann. "Volkmann, huh? The Kaiser's pet jumper, knew you looked familiar, saw you in the newsreels. Why is it," Bittrich asked as he smoked, "that you paras... suppose it should be 'we' paras... now... insist on wearing a ribbon for every time you jump out of a plane?" He offered Volkmann a cigarette.

Wilhelm shook his head and waved the cigarette aside, and Bittrich put them away with a shrug and a muttered "No accounting for taste." The parachutist considered the question for a moment, then replied, "I guess it's because so many of us don't come back that the survivors want to show they made it. Not all of them are jumps, either." He tapped the "Reims" cuff title and Bittrich gave a noncommittal grunt, apparently considering his next words.

"People are stupid, Volkmann. You know that? People are stupid. You, Ramcke, Meindl, Student... you're all stupid because you think it's worth rushing to where people are going to kill you by jumping out of a perfectly good airplane." He grinned around the cigarette before continuing. "I'm stupid in so many ways I can't count. I joined the Nazis in '32, even was a blackshirt. Got me kicked out of the Reichswehr when they were banned in '33. As if that wasn't stupid enough, I spent '34 with the Stahlhelm in Silesia to show I was a good officer! I could've stayed home, raised fat, crying babies! Could even have named one Hermann. Not, mind, that Germany needs another fat, crying Hermann." He seemed unusually bitter on the subject of Goering; Volkmann nodded, sensing that this was something that Bittrich needed to get off his chest. "Fat, crying Hermann. Anyway, Fat Hermann got me back in uniform when he came crawling back in. Apparently there's still jobs for middle-aged fighter pilots. Fat Hermann, Fast Ernie, and me, we're all in the club. Least I'm not a goddamn bus driver like the Milkman." He lit another cigarette from the butt of the first and then flicked the butt into the trash, taking on a far-off look. "Only thing that saves most of us is the Poles, French, and Brits are even less lucky than we are.

"Anyway. If we're all stupid, Fat Hermann's the biggest stupid of all. You know what he wants, Volkmann? You know? No, I'll tell you. Fatboy's decided he needs an armored division to glorify His Rotundity. A marshal's baton and a baron's coronet isn't enough for Hermann the Hippo. So he pitches the idea. Not to Bock, mind. The Dead Man's not exactly keen on Goering. No. He goes to the Chancellor, to Guderian, to Kesselring, and to old man Krupp. Oh yes, and he comes to me, goes 'See here, Willi old bean, I know you're not going anywhere, that entire Nazi unpleasantness,' his very words, Volkmann. 'That entire Nazi unpleasantness.' Like the Rising was a bout of indigestion. For him, it probably was. Not much else sticks in that gullet. 'So would you do me the kindness of leading this division?'" Wilhelm Volkmann looked at Bittrich, too polite to ask if the story had a point.

"And I... I must be the stupidest man in Germany," he said, stubbing out the second cigarette and gazing out at the horizon. "I said yes."

"Sir? If you don't mind my asking, why tell me all this?"

Bittrich took a deep, shuddering breath, shoulders sagging. "Because I had to tell someone. The entire thing's too farcical to keep inside. I have to come here, hat in hand, talking to old man Student... you know he's only four years older than me, right? Anyway. Had to talk to him because not only does Fat Hermann want an armored division, he wants a jumping armored division. He wants his tankers checked off as parachutists, Volkmann! Waste six months training a paratrooper, then another six training a tanker, and huzzah! You have Göring's Division!" He threw up his hands, shaking his head, and cocked his ear. "Sounds like the band's struck up. Can't stand that oom-pah-pah nonsense, care to come in with me?" The lift to Bittrich's eyebrow and his slight grin said that something at least fun was coming, and Wilhelm nodded, returning the grin.

Inside, there was no doubt that the band had struck up, playing the Pariser-Einzugmarsch, and no one noticed Volkmann and Bittrich slipping in. Bittrich sat down quietly at the piano beside the bar and, as stealthily as possible, ran through several bars, stretching his hands. He leaned over to Volkmann and muttered, "Hated the lessons, Mother insisted. Least someone in the family got some use from them." He took a deep breath, raised his hands, and, as near as Volkmann could tell, lost his mind.

He launched into the Marseillaise, then segued into an upbeat version of the Deutschlandlied, contrasting the two of them in a series of quick alternations that said that if he had hated piano lessons, something had certainly stuck. The band quickly fell quiet, heads turning and jaws dropping as Wilhelm Bittrich took over Student's birthday party with a flair that was bound to make him some enemies among the parachutists. Volkmann did his best to back to the bar and make himself look like he had not come in with the general - not that it would have mattered, but he had friends here, and some of those men were now glaring at Bittrich.

Bittrich continued hammering away at the piano, oblivious to the stares, or perhaps reveling in them. He concluded what had begun to sound like an artillery duel between German and French anthems - a few bars here, just enough to be recognizable, then back to the other - and lapsed instead into a firm, march-tempo rendition of a song that had begun to gain popularity in the Fallschirmtruppen. He drew himself up, back straight, and took a deep breath before singing along. His voice was no match for his piano skills, but if he were going to make amends for stealing the party, this was the way to do it.

"Auf Belgrad im Sturm und im Regen
Da steht ein Fallschirmjäger auf der Wacht...
"

As Wilhelm had noticed earlier, the parachutists did nothing by halves. Where moments before they had been prepared to string Bittrich from one of the ten-meter aircraft-exit towers, now they were singing along, as often as not with glasses raised high. Student was not least among those singing, and Bittrich glanced at Volkmann with a rueful shrug, as if to say If you can't beat them...

When the song came to its conclusion, Bittrich stood, bowing, and called out, "And now, gentlemen, may I propose a toast? To Generalfeldmarschall Baron von Göring. Germany's enemies never stop thinking of ways to harm us, and neither does he!"

90. Birthing Pains

Technische Hochschule Berlin
Berlin, German Empire
2 July 1943

Ernst Volkmann gestured at the projector, concluding his presentation. "... In conclusion, Herr Generalfeldmarschall, work on the separator is approximately twelve months from yielding results, and the experimental reactor using the currently available supplies should be online at approximately the same time. After this, it is simply a matter of gathering enough material to confirm theory, which is, by Dr. Heisenberg's estimate," at which he nodded at the physicist, looking harried and tired, "perhaps a total of five hundred kilograms of ninety-percent enriched uranium. Our current prediction is that fifty kilograms of uranium can be refined per month per separator facility. If Dr. Hahn's predictions are correct, of course, we can use pre-refined plutonium... one of the elements which you may recall I mentioned the British and Americans published about in 1941... from the experimental reactor's outputs, but that is currently untested. Do you have any questions?"

K-25_Aerial.jpg

The Luftwaffe representative raised his hand. "Yes, Herr General?" Volkmann asked, clearing his throat. "How large a device would be required for five hundred kilos of uranium? Physical dimensions, I mean." General Wever had a habit of dredging up such inconvenient questions, and Volkmann sighed. "To be honest, I am not absolutely certain. As an engineer... give me an upper size for your bombers." Wever frowned. "Meter and a half diameter maximum, three meter length maximum." Volkmann sucked air through his teeth, considering and nodding. "That will be... challenging, Herr General."

Bock's voice rumbled from where he had sat silent. "What happened to artillery pieces, General Volkmann?" Volkmann blinked in response. "Sir, with the specifications that General Wever is giving, we could easily build such a device for naval artillery, provided some additional safety measures against concussion. I suspect that second-generation devices will fire easily from a tube the size of the Liege guns from the Great War, but you must understand, this first generation will be as primitive as possible, since there are so many uncertainties."

"Can you make do with a smaller device?" Bock asked, clearly frustrated at the idea that the fleet would receive this new weapon before the army. Heisenberg answered flatly. "No. We need this much uranium to create a critical mass." Wever nodded, taking notes, and Bock stood up. "This is pointless. A device which cannot be fired from a cannon, which may or may not detonate in the first place, and Professor Einstein all the while bleating about electrifying all of Europe with it! Why, pray tell, should I not recommend to the All-Highest that we cancel this program and do something useful with the money?"

To Ernst Volkmann's surprise, it was the intelligence chief, Oster, who came to his rescue. "Because after Dr. Bohr left Germany at the armistice, it is now inevitable that someone else should follow up on our research. We know he did not return to Denmark; we lost track of him after he arrived at Cambridge. We have reason to believe he is now in the United States. The Americans and the Reds are the only ones with the resources and potentially the technical knowledge to follow through, and we know he did not go east." Bock turned to look at Oster; he had clearly forgotten the man was even present. He glanced from Oster to the General Staff economic expert, Generalleutnant Thomas. "General, do you believe Volkmann can pull this off?"

Thomas pursed his lips, considering, and tapped one long finger on a clipboard before answering. "Since we now own the Rössing and Katanga deposits in addition to the Czech deposits, I see no reason he should be short of raw materials. As for the rest..." He shrugged. "I cannot speak about the science, just his record as an engineer." He spoke offhand, as if Volkmann was absent. "He pulled off the Berlin-Baghdad-Basra line, and, I might add, got his hands quite dirty in the process. I believe if you told him to turn the Zugspitze into a bust of the Chancellor, he would." Bock snorted; he was tiring of Papen's increasing vanity as much as anyone else who had to deal with the man. The War Minister stood abruptly and nodded once at Volkmann. "Very well. You have eighteen months to bring me measurable results, General. Dismissed."

As Bock left, Heisenberg shuddered. "Hate dealing with that man," he muttered before nodding to Volkmann and retreating himself. Oster and Thomas conferred, laughing at some private joke, before Oster came over, shaking Volkmann's hand briefly and departing with a "Good luck, Volkmann, you'll need it." This left Thomas, Wever, and Volkmann together. Thomas lit a cigarette, still seated where he had been during the briefing. "Excellent keeping those scientists in order. Like herding cats, Volkmann. Must say I'm impressed. Is there anything I can do that will speed things up for you?" he drawled as he glanced at his nominal subordinate.

"Er... yes, sir. I've heard there's a machine up at Peenemünde," at which he received a sharp glare. "How did you know that name, General?" Thomas asked quietly, all languor gone. Volkmann blinked; he had not realized the name was so secret. "Sir, my son commanded the training center at Rügen. It was rather difficult to miss the test launches. My daughter-in-law is a friend of Dr. von Braun's. Matter of fact, she was how he got a helicopter license. I've heard some things, that's all, sir." Thomas frowned, nodding, before flicking the ash into an ashtray and gesturing for Volkmann to continue. "Sir. I understand there's a machine up there, and another at the Luftministerium building. A... Zuse machine?" he asked, glancing at Wever, who nodded in confirmation. "I'd like one for Bad Schlema, it would greatly simplify our calculation requirements."

Thomas snorted before nodding in confirmation. "I'll make sure little Konrad knows to get you one. Anything else?" Volkmann shook his head. "No, sir." Thomas then stood, stretching, and yawned. "Then I expect the usual monthly report. Try to keep the eggheads from shooting each other, or trying to publish without approval." He nodded once more and departed. Walther Wever, one of the grand old men of the Luftwaffe, was the only one who remained.

"We may have a problem, Volkmann," he began without preamble. "Do you have a few hours?" Taken aback, Ernst nodded, and Wever gestured for him to follow. It was a beautifully sunny day, and as they drove in Wever's open-topped Mercedes staff car, Volkmann's own followed behind. Wever raised his voice to be heard over the wind. "The problem is the bomber. You would not believe the nonsense I have been fed over the past decade regarding the troubles of building a four-engine bomber. You're an engineer, you'll appreciate this."

Wever went on to lay out the basic problem: the Junkers bomber originally accepted by the Luftwaffe had the long range needed, but it was slow and un-pressurized, meaning that it would be intercepted and no fighter could match its Moscow-target range. Either of those problems could be fixed, but not both. A quick exchange revealed that its payload was also half the predicted weight of the Device, as they continued to call it. The solution, according to Wever, was to adapt the He 177, which had the payload and altitude capacity, and was bristling with armament compared to the Junkers. "But the Heinkel has one huge problem with it. Two huge problems, really," Wever complained over the wind. Volkmann nodded. "What's that?"

"The engines. They catch fire for no reason."

Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-674-7767-09%2C_Flugzeug_Heinkel_He_177.jpg

They arrived at Tegel eventually, and Wever conducted him to one of the old airship hangars. The other was still marked as the property of the Zeppelin company; Ernst had a momentary longing to go on vacation, on one of the luxurious Hindenburg world tour cruises perhaps, before snapping back to the present. "Here," Wever announced, "is the bane of my existence."

The Heinkel 177 looked pretty enough, dynamic and solidly built to Ernst's inexpert eye, but he immediate saw the problem when he looked at an engine mock-up. "Sir, I've never built an airplane, but it looks like they've got two engines that they're trying to synchronize, bolted together." He was intensely puzzled; Wever was intensely frustrated. "I know. You do know that it was a Heinkel that tried to kill me back in '36, right?"

The engine arrangement was impressive, if one neglected the complexity of keeping two separate twelve-cylinder engines in timing with each other and the guaranteed extra wear that the two engines would place on the shaft they were both spinning. Ernst marveled at the daring attempt to solve the problem of getting four engines' worth of power out of two engines' worth of mounting, then shook his head. "Sir, this just won't work!" he exclaimed finally, to which Wever responded with an amused grunt. "Are you telling me, General Volkmann, that a bridge-builder and railroad engineer with no aviation training whatsoever is of the opinion that the finest aeronautical engineers in Germany have come up with a system that is flawed in conception and cannot be executed in a viable manner?" Ernst reddened, then rallied and responded. "Sir... yes! This thing is garbage!" He smacked the mockup, which swung perilously on its chains.

A dirty Luftwaffe Hauptmann in mechanic's coveralls hurried over to see what the problem was. Upon seeing the two generals, he saluted. "Sir! The Heinkel has its problems, but it's a damn sight better than the Junkers was!" Wever smiled indulgently. "Francke, how many test pilots has it killed?" Hauptmann Francke frowned, counting. "Three, sir. And all of those problems have been fixed. That's part of the danger of taking this job, sir." Wever snorted, pointing at Francke, finger almost jabbing him in the chest. "Even Göring could see this thing's a deathtrap!"

"Well, yes, sir." Francke was incapable of arguing with that; Hermann Göring had been a fine political booster for the Luftwaffe, but he had very few supporters among its pilots. Volkmann allowed them their conversation, instead climbing around under the Heinkel bomber itself.

Finally, he emerged from beneath the bomber, frowning in concentration. "What's the rated load on that bomber, Hauptmann?" Francke frowned for a moment in consideration before replying, "Six thousand kilos, sir, with a range of fifteen hundred kilometers at nine thousand meters elevation. If we pressurized it," he added with a glance at Wever, "we could probably go up to twelve or fifteen, out of fighter range. Sir."

Volkmann turned to Wever next, considering a different aspect of the problem. "What's bomb drift from fifteen thousand meters?" Wever tapped his foot impatiently. "That depends on a number of factors. Expect it to be roughly one meter for every ten of altitude with ten-kilometer-per-hour winds. Less at low altitudes and dive approaches, more at high altitudes and level approaches. Why?"

"Mmm. So, at fifteen thousand meters, we would see up to a kilometer and a half of drift?" Volkmann tapped his chin, then ran his hand back through hair that had finally started to gray once he had taken over this project. "Heisenberg is promising a weapon that will knock over buildings a mile from its explosion... so at fifteen hundred meters drift, you have effectively moved the bomb over one radius." Wever snorted in response. "That's more accurate than we're getting right now with Stukas, are you sure we can't just use your bombs from now on?"

Volkmann chuckled dutifully in reply before looking at Francke. "Hauptmann, how much experience do you have in this bomber?"

"I was the first one to take one up in '40," the test pilot replied proudly. "I have more than five thousand hours in the Greif." Volkmann nodded and looked back at Wever. "General, do you think Heinkel could be persuaded to make a four-engine version? As is, I wouldn't send the Device up in one of these." Wever smiled slowly, teeth showing. "So you mean to say that in the interests of national defense, I need to compel Gunter over at Heinkel to build a four-engine bomber that does not burst into flames or ground-loop for no discernible reason? General Volkmann, have you ever considered transferring to the Luftwaffe?"

At least this time it doesn't have that ridiculous dive bomber requirement.

Yes, He 277 incoming!

91. Mediterranean Holiday

800px-Livorno_Accademia_Navale.JPG

Accademia Navale di Livorno
Livorno, Kingdom of Italy
7 July 1943

Wilhelm's lungs burned.

He knew how to swim, of course - there had been days in the early thirties where it seemed that had been all there was to do, and he had spent so much time alongside rivers during their travels that Ernst had thought it an excellent form of exercise - but this was something new. This business of swimming underwater, with but a thin glass mask between his eyes and the sea, was madness as far as he was concerned.

The goal was to dive to a depth sufficient to retrieve a submerged outboard motor. There were four of them diving, and the other three were all Italian. His Italian was weak, but that hardly mattered at fifteen meters under the surface. They had had no luck finding the motor, and their stone-faced instructors, veterans of North Africa, had made it clear that unless they found the motor, they weren't leaving the old drainage channel. They could die here, just as they would at sea without the outboard.

A hand grabbed at his shoulder and he saw one of the Italians, dark hair waving like seaweed, gesturing frantically to the side. He nodded, kicking his finned feet and angling in that direction. The motor was lying propeller-up in a thick, dark layer of silt, though it appeared to be otherwise intact. He and the Italian grabbed at it, tugging it, and with just the two of them, it would not budge. For the first time today, he felt a sense of despair, looking up at the surface longingly. He needed air. He released the motor and surged skyward.

Not for the first time, he wondered why he was here, wondered why he had accepted Hippel's drily offered cross-training recommendation. He could have gone to the motorcycle battalion, or done what he was best at and become their master parachutist. Instead... instead he was at the bottom of a drainage canal in Italy wrestling an outboard motor. As he thought this, he breached the surface. No sooner than he had done so, a rock struck him in the shoulder. Fortunately, it had skipped twice before hitting him, spending most of its force. "Regolare! Regolare, Tedesco!" The speaker was a thinly built Italian major with the badges of an African veteran dating back to Ethiopia. Wilhelm gasped and the major continued. "If you break surface like that in the field, it'll be a rifle, not a rock. Now try it again!"

Volkmann had begun to dive again almost as soon as he had surfaced, taking a series of quick breaths followed by one deep breath, upending and kicking powerfully downward. He felt the water pressing in around him, and saw the others coming down on the same kind of errand, albeit with their snorkels tipped back now. He felt foolish - his need for air had driven him upward without regard to that basic piece of equipment, and he was so unused to swimming with it that he had forgotten he had it. It would probably have spared him a lecture.

The four of them got their hands on the outboard, and he looked to each of their faces, receiving a nod in return. He raised a hand, counting down - three, two, one - and they all heaved, jerking the motor up out of the silt. Once it was free, there was no good way for four men to carry it, so Wilhelm and the first man to get his hand on it dragged it upward. This time, when they surfaced, they stayed just below, only snorkels breaking the still canal water. Now came the hard part.

Next they had to get the outboard aboard an inflatable boat and climb aboard themselves. They struggled with their load across the length of the canal, two hundred meters of agony with the outboard slung between them. The Italian switched out with one of the others; Wilhelm already knew he was at a disadvantage here, as the outsider, and stayed grimly in place. When he reached the boat, he tried to heave the outboard over the side. Nothing doing - it simply would not rise above the water. He was forced to switch out with one of the Italians after all. He got a fatalistic shrug in response, and dropped back gratefully to rest for a moment.

Once the outboard was aboard, they climbed after it, even Wilhelm, whose arms felt leaden now. He flopped aboard, then sat up, kicking off his fins and taking his place at the oarlock. The outboard was useless, since it had no fuel in it, and the boat still had to get back out of the canal. One of the Italians acted as coxswain, his hand slapping the rubberized fabric to keep time. Finally they reached "shore," and rolled once more into the water. Here, Wilhelm was in his element, racing forward and flopping on his belly to take watch as two of the Italians dragged the boat clear of the water.

Once the boat was fully ashore, the Italian major came over, raising his hand and yelling out, "FINITA!" That done, he turned to where the four of them were laying prone, Wilhelm with his eyes closed for a brief moment of rest. "Thirty-two minutes and forty-eight seconds, pigs." 'Pig' was what all of the instructors called the trainees; it had something to do with the two-man minisubmarines they used. "You - flying pig -" the Major gestured at Volkmann - "you with the medals, you have that much time in combat?"

Volkmann knew the response, and started to rise to give it. "Did I say get up? Could still be under fire here!" the major snapped. "No, sir, and no, sir, in order," Volkmann replied laconically. The major grunted noncommittally. "I've seen worse first tries. Before you leave it will be under twenty minutes. Next team, take the boat!" he yelled out, stalking away from them. Four more men scrambled forward to grab the boat, and Wilhelm and his three were finally allowed to rest for a moment, but only a moment, before they had to haul themselves to their feet and jog to the next station.

Wilhelm had thought the Fallschirmjäger training regime could be grueling, and, to be fair, still did. The difference was that it was on land. There was nothing here he was being asked to do that he could not manage, it was just underwater, and after a month here, he still had not fully adapted to the difference in elements. The nights he made it back to his rented quarters at all, he was waterlogged and exhausted. Rita had enjoyed the transition to Italy in the summer, and the only thing that preserved him from being an exceedingly jealous husband was the fact that within hours of him arriving, she had sweetly told an Italian submariner that her husband was a German parachutist, a terribly jealous man who was not all right in the head, and would doubtless turn his innards into sausage casings were he to not move his hand. Word had spread quickly.

As they went through the land side of training, Wilhelm was more at home. Even having to learn how to use the ridiculous Mannlicher-Carcano carbine, how to swim with it in a rubberized bag, he was more proficient than most of these sailors. There was a key difference between these men and stereotypical Italians, though: every single one of them knew the risks of being a combat swimmer. The 'pigs' had a loss rate that even parachutists shied from.

It was two months into the three-month program before they were introduced to the Maiale. This was the reason they were called 'pigs,' and the torpedo that was the backbone of the Italian combat swimmer corps. The introductory lecture was by a colonel with the typically impressive, bristly Italian moustache. He exuded easy confidence, and was surprisingly not pompous despite his fearsome reputation. His name was Teseo Tesei, and he had been the first man ashore at Malta. Wilhelm had never been technically inclined, and paid less attention to the lecture than to Tesei.

Teseo_Tesei.jpg

He was unimpressed by Tesei physically; the man was certainly not Jack Fitzgerald. That said, neither was Wilhelm himself, and he knew there were probably still men in Germany who told stories of the week at Reims when they were out drinking. He remembered none of it, but from what Bechtel and Fitzgerald had said, that was for the best. Tesei had taken his Maiale into the heart of Valetta and blown the outer harbor defenses, then had held on around their beached submarines despite all odds for two hours while the Folgore and Alpini had come in. It was said that Tesei had been more dead than alive after that; Wilhelm certainly knew how he felt.

Borghese.jpg

Wilhlem occupied a peculiar place in the Livorno hierarchy, as a foreign officer, a qualified Luftwaffe General Staffer, a parachutist, and a man decorated twice by the Kaiser himself, and found himself and his family invited to attend functions that other trainees did not attend. This brought him into contact with Prince Borghese, the commander of the field component of Tesei's combat-swimmer brigade. Borghese was a pompous ass, as far as Wilhelm was concerned; he was peacock-conscious of every single one of his medals, and used the fact that his submarine had been shot out from under him by Cunningham's airplanes as proof of his valor. To Wilhelm's mind, the loss of a vessel that could easily escape from aerial attack, and the total loss of one's command, reeked of incompetence. Against that, though, he had apparently led a scratch battalion of marines to secure the vital Nile crossing which had let Italian troops into the Nile Delta just days ahead of Kluge's advance. Kluge had given him the Iron Cross for that, and he spoke fluent German, so as often as not, it was Borghese who was Wilhelm's dinner partner. He was intensely taxing.

Less so was the commander of the flotilla's first squadron, Luigi Durand de la Penne. He was a boyish-looking man with curly-wavy hair and a touch with handling his sailors that Wilhelm frankly envied. They joked with him, treated him as one of them, and if he ordered it, they would do anything he could imagine. He butted heads with Borghese at practically every opportunity. At dinner one Friday, the situation became so difficult that Borghese, chalk-white with anger, had stood and angrily challenged Durand de la Penne to a duel. Tesei had been forced to step in as their commander and smooth the waters; even so, Borghese had sulkily begged to be excused. Tesei had watched him go and sighed, shrugging at Volkmann. "This sort of nonsense happens every few months with him," he explained. "The Prince thinks that men are like ships, that you can simply drive them and drive them until a part breaks, then replace the part. Commander Durand, though..." Tesei had coughed in apparent embarrassment before continuing, seeing the commander blush deeply as he continued. "Do you know why they follow him like that? They know he'd sooner die than let one of them die. You've heard about Borghese's submarine, I'm sure?"

"Sir, I'm sure that Capitano Volkmann does not wish to hear our old war stories," Durand protested, and was waved aside. Tesei continued amiably, "We were both aboard. This was at Taranto, you understand. Borghese's boat was the mothership for most of our Maiale operations. We were loaded aboard, and to his credit, Borghese even got the boat underway after the Royal Navy appeared. Underway, and out into the main channel... into a Swordfish torpedo." His face tightened at the memory. "Broke the boat in half. Both halves went down separately, and Borghese was thrown clear, made it to shore in the general wreck. So young Durand there is in the stern section with the rebreathers, and gets his squad free... then goes forward with three men to try to rescue the crewmen." Durand looked away, face gloomy, as Tesei reached his conclusion. "He got all of them out but one."

"Two of them died before we reached shore, sir." Tesei waved away the objection. "They died in sunlight, and that was better than they had a right to expect at that point." Tesei leaned forward on his elbows, nodding in thanks as a sailor began to clear the dishes. "So that's where this duel nonsense comes from. Borghese lost his boat, and such of the crew that lived owe it to Durand. Wasn't even Borghese's fault, he was unconscious. That's part of the reason he's so... tense. He thinks everyone blames him for the Iride."

Volkmann nodded, bone-tired and only half-following the story. "Thank you for the explanation, sir," he managed, determined to stay awake through the remainder of the dinner. As coffee and dessert followed, he proved incapable of that much, finally dozing in his chair. Tesei and Durand finished without him, Tesei smiling indulgently at the exhausted German trainee. "Get the boy home, Durand," he murmured, quietly enough to keep from waking Volkmann, and Durand nodded in acknowledgement.

When Wilhelm awoke in his own bed the next day, he groaned at the knowledge that he had passed out at dinner, and emerged to find Rita in the apartment's tiny kitchen, radiant with glee. "Well, look who slept in!" she laughed, throwing herself at him with a kiss. "Come see, this came this morning." She handed him a note and pulled him over to where a brass and wood contraption dominated their countertop.

Dear Hauptmann Volkmann,

It is somewhat unorthodox to sleep at meals, especially as a guest. In the interests of international friendship, I have taken the liberty of delivering you this gift. It is the same model which better-appointed ships' captains use, so I trust it can produce something sufficiently strong to keep you awake.

T. TESEI

"What is it?" he asked sleepily. "An espresso machine," she answered in delight, passing him a tiny cup filled with black-as-night coffee. "I suspect it's worth more than our car."

Missed the chance to comment about the last few updates. Have to correct that:

- Like the character of Willy Bittrich. Hope to see him return, just keep him away from Arnhem.

- Daddy Volkmann probably made Wever a very happy man by giving him a reason to ditch the HE177. Will we see an Uralbomber anytime soon? If Germany uses Heisenbergs calculations, that plane has to be big indeed.

- Still wondering how an intensive diving training can help a parachutist, or will Wilhelm become part of a German commando corps? Still, it never hurts to have some more badges and keep sharp in general. Envy his espresso machine :D. Speaking of Italy, is Balbo still alive?

Same spot the East block got theirs during the Cold War: Angola and friendly nations in South America.

Getting enough coffee imported? From where?

Missed the chance to comment about the last few updates. Have to correct that:

- Like the character of Willy Bittrich. Hope to see him return, just keep him away from Arnhem.

- Daddy Volkmann probably made Wever a very happy man by giving him a reason to ditch the HE177. Will we see an Uralbomber anytime soon? If Germany uses Heisenbergs calculations, that plane has to be big indeed.

- Still wondering how an intensive diving training can help a parachutist, or will Wilhelm become part of a German commando corps? Still, it never hurts to have some more badges and keep sharp in general. Envy his espresso machine :D. Speaking of Italy, is Balbo still alive?

Easiest to hardest:

Wilhelm's a Brandenburger now; he was just drawn from the Fallschirmkorps. As for the espresso machine, I suspect that it eats up pretty much all available space in their closet-sized Livorno kitchen. Back in Germany? Not so bad, as inherited German barracks are usually considered ridiculously luxurious by US troops used to single-man rooms Stateside, and that's on the enlisted side. :p

The Uralbomber program never died, since Wever never died; it was just put on the back burner until more important needs were met. In terms of researched techs, they were researched, but the He 177 isn't really suited to the role of heavy bomber. I'm basing the Device's size on Little Boy, scaled up by ten (which means volumetrically all dimensions are increased by a little over two). Given that, it's well within the theoretical capacity of the He 177. Only problem is that it catches fire for no reason, and since Volkmann's already planning the Device to be as crude as possible for its first implementation, a plane that doesn't burst into flames is preferred.

Willy Bittrich was the most fun I've had writing a character since Schleicher. I may or may not write more of him. Probably will, since he was just a lot of fun to write. As for him being in Arnhem - well, I think you're safe there. Though as SS commanders go, Bittrich and Steiner are kind of a breed apart. Which reminds me, a quick "Where Are They Now?" of the Waffen-SS:

Wilhelm Bittrich - Luftwaffe Generalmajor, served in Poland and the West as a fighter pilot. Picked up a handful of kills, but not in the Mölders-Galland league. First commander, 1. Fallschirmpanzerdivision "Hermann Göring." Unimpressed by divisional namesake.

Sepp Dietrich - General Ritter von Dietrich, Military Order of Max Joseph, one of Bavaria's noted heroes of the French campaign. Liked but not generally respected. One of the massive concentration of generals in Poland.

Theodor Eicke - Schutztruppe Generalmajor, commanding in Africa. Commanded a grenadier regiment in France, noted both for high casualties and shocking offensive-mindedness. Hausser described him as having a "butcher's attitude."

Artur Phleps - Generalmajor (Öst.), following the destruction of Romania. An obscure officer with the Austrian General Staff and mad ideas for raising a corps of Balkan mountaineers.

Karl-Gustaf Sauberzweig - Generalmajor, chief of staff for training, increasingly wishes to be sent to a division.

Otto Skorzeny - Luftwaffe Hauptmann, discussed fairly extensively in AAR.

Felix Steiner - Heer Generalmajor, commanded an armored regiment in France with considerable success. Taking one of the new-formed armored divisions, raised from volunteers from the new territories.

Same spot the East block got theirs during the Cold War: Angola and friendly nations in South America.

Italy's got firm control of Ethiopia and Somalia for the moment, and the Kaiserbund is on friendly terms with Brazil and Argentina, and includes Portugal, who own Angola until the Portuguese Purchase is complete, so there's no threat of a coffee shortage.

A Coffee shortage would mean the instant end of Civilization on the Continent, even though Northern Germans are known as tea drinkers.

Very Impressive and entertaining.

Missing Heinz Harmel on the WSS side - any ideas??
Is there to be some offensive use of the Wasserschweine against, oh say the Red Banner Northern Fleet???

Are the engineers from AV Roe not part of the strategic bomber plan??? Relocated to Canada??

It's always time for a good cup of coffee :p. Wonderful updates, really showing the spirit after the war. Can't wait for some sort of Uralbomber...

Funny that the Uralbomber keeps coming up, because not only will it definitely be used, but it will definitely be used in the Urals.

A Coffee shortage would mean the instant end of Civilization on the Continent, even though Northern Germans are known as tea drinkers.

Bah, coffee is the drink upon which the world's militaries run! Tea, in comparison, is a recreational beverage. :p

Very Impressive and entertaining.

Missing Heinz Harmel on the WSS side - any ideas??
Is there to be some offensive use of the Wasserschweine against, oh say the Red Banner Northern Fleet???

Are the engineers from AV Roe not part of the strategic bomber plan??? Relocated to Canada??

In keeping with the idea of staying parallel, if not exactly in tune with real history, Harmel won the Iron Cross 1st and a field commission as a grenadier in the armored breakout from Flanders through Normandy into Paris, with Paul Hausser. He is now a rather old grenadier captain.

The Brandenburger Küstenjägerbataillon and the Marinejägerbataillon (the Kaiserliche Marine's naval commando unit) both have roles to play, including the world's least probable amphibious assault because of (in imaginary-Student's words) "that idiot Zander."

Most of British industry survived intact; the reparation events only transferred 2 IC worth of industry from Britain. I chose the Rolls-Royce factories more or less because I felt like it, not because they would have been the best choice, and because what Germany really needs is a wider selection of luxury cars. (A side effect that this AAR probably won't deal with in detail is that Harland & Wolff of Belfast, for instance, become economic giants postwar, because northern Ireland was completely untouched by either the Irish betrayal or the German occupation; northern Ireland will be The Place To Be for five, ten years.)

Dutchie, I missed Balbo in my last round of replies, so I'll answer here: Yes, Balbo is alive. Balbo's survival, as a matter of fact, gives me precisely the leverage I need for postwar disintegration of the Kaiserbund. On Mussolini's death, Balbo is the obvious heir, and his anti-German stance is not moderated in the slightest from OTL. At present he is governor of Libya-Egypt. Geography and a lack of Italian claims on Sudan make someone else governor of Ethiopia-Somalia. Had I been thinking about it at the time, I would have added an Italian claim there, because there's no way for Britain to administer it effectively.

EDIT - The note about Balbo actually leads me to discuss the breakup of the Kaiserbund.

With the death of Wilhelm III and the fall from grace of Franz von Papen, what is obvious to everyone else, that the Italian-Spanish-Portuguese-Turkish alliance was too fragile to last, becomes clear. The first to leave are the Spanish and Portuguese, though it is not so much departure as a lack of interest. They simply have their own affairs to worry about, and relations between Spain and Germany remain cordial. There is considerable bitterness over the Portuguese Purchase in Lisbon, and the traditional British alliance is re-examined and eventually resurrected, but the fact is that Papen's desire to own as much of Africa as possible saves the Estado Novo regime because they do not become embroiled in African rebellion, leaving that to Papa Eicke (who, as I've said, will become Germany's Colonel Kurtz). Once Papen falls and Mussolini dies in the arms of Clara Petacci (a traumatizing experience which drives the actress into a nunnery), the only threads binding Italy and Germany are cut. I'd planned on a Ciano kleptocracy, but frankly Balbo's a better fit. The last to "leave" the alliance is the Sultan, with whom most of Europe cuts ties after refugees from the Caucasus carry word to Russia and the Ukraine of Turkish behavior in the region. The result is that by 1955, the alliance which overturned Europe is completely dissolved.

Last edited:
92. The Reichswehr In Transition

In retrospect, historians would mark 1943 as the year that Franz von Papen's long downward slide began. At midyear, the Chancellor was at the height of his popularity, power, and influence both at home and abroad. By year's end, the tiniest erosions of the edifice had begun to appear.

The first of the cracks were actually due to the devil's deal between Otto Wels and Grossadmiral Raeder. When Wels died on Christmas Eve of 1942, the Social Democrats experienced a vicious struggle for control of the party between the man Wels had nominated to succeed him, Hans Vogel, and the leader of the party's own internal opposition, a one-armed, bitterly acerbic Great War veteran named Kurt Schumacher. Schumacher, unlike most of the SPD leadership, was fairly young, not yet fifty. During the Great War, like many German students, he had exchanged school uniforms for feldgrau, and had gone to war in Poland, where he lost an arm. Wartime exposure turned him into a socialist, and in the dark times after the war, he helped form Workers' and Students' Councils in Berlin even as he finished his law degree. In short, his pedigree both as a patriot and an SPD member was impeccable, and he was known to be one of the party's more agile, modern thinkers.

He was also, after his experience in Poland, vehemently anti-militarist, and had publicly protested that Papen had dragged Germany into a war "no better than that fought over an Austrian archduke and a Serbian anarchist." Only constant, deliberate herding by Wels had kept him in line when Raeder's naval bills were put forward. Thus, Raeder knew quite well that Schumacher would not support the Chancellor's naval program, and was appalled when the Chancellor came to him with the so-called "15-15-15-15" program - fifteen "high-seas" battleships, fifteen "fast" battleships, fifteen battlecruisers, and fifteen carriers, by 1948.

Beyond the simple political considerations, there were material considerations as well, as Raeder well knew. When Papen, on an inspection tour of the Wilhelmshaven yards, presented Raeder with the plan, Raeder smiled and acknowledged it, calling it a fine naval program, then quietly contacted the only member of Papen's cabinet who was both in a position to help him and sufficiently outside Papen's orbit to be willing. Albert Speer felt increasingly harassed as the demands of the German war machine tugged at him - first the armor proponents who had worried about the Soviet sloped tanks, then the Heer-Luftwaffe project in the Sudetenland that he was not allowed to question or stop, then Göring, as owner, earmarking the entire steel output of the Hermann-Göring-Werke for his pet armored division, and now apparently rampant greed on the part of the admirals.

Raeder was quick to point out to Speer that what he wanted was not the Chancellor's plan, but a much more modest version. According to Speer's journals, the admiral declared, "I would love the Chancellor's version, but a naval bill that will pass is better than a naval bill that will not." The blunt realism of this pronouncement made Speer much more willing to cooperate, resulting in the downward revision of the naval program on technical grounds. Speer's ministry pointed out the revolutions in carrier design from 1936 to 1941, and argued that similar changes would likely come out of the next five years. Until the technology had stabilized, they argued, there was no purpose in attempting to build a vast fleet of soon-outdated vessels. Similar arguments were put forward for battleships: while there was a plan on the books for the Grossdeutschland-class superbattleships, the fast ships meant to succeed the Bismarck-class were in flux. The one area where Speer's people agreed with the Chancellor's plan was the construction of a large battlecruiser fleet, to act as squadron flagships in the newly constituted African patrol. In the end, the plan was revised downward to the so-called 15/15/9 plan, with fifteen battleships between the two types, fifteen battlecruisers, and nine new carriers.

Papen was furious at this intrusion into naval affairs by what he called "that bald little stone-mason," and submitted his version of the naval plan to the Reichstag for approval, confident that the Reichspartei had sufficient votes to carry it. He was wrong. The Social Democrats and members of the Reichspartei who had a vested interest in land construction held the bill in debate for most of March and April. Even Hugenberg's relentless pro-colonial press campaign proved incapable of swaying Schmacher and his people. "The crews of these ships combined would be larger than the population of Hamburg. Why does the Chancellor believe that Germany needs to send an entire city's worth of men who would otherwise be gainfully employed to dash about the globe rather than turning their hands to something productive?" Schumacher demanded in one of the naval debates of 1943.

In the end, in May of 1943, the Chancellor went to the Kaiser to attempt to secure emergency funding of his plan. Speer had expected this, and had presented the Kaiser's naval aide with the study his ministry had performed. Thus, Papen found a genial, friendly Kaiser who nevertheless had been prepared against the possibility of his friend's begging on naval grounds, who remembered the lessons of Wilhelm II's grandstanding, and who had his own programs which he wished to see implemented. As with Raeder, Wilhelm appealed to Papen's sense of proportion: "A bill that passes is better than a bill that does not." The Kaiser refused to force the bill through against the Social Democrats, and the 15/15/9 plan was accepted, with the proviso that at the end of the five-year construction program, additional new construction would be reviewed and likely approved, and that extensive ad-hoc funding for smaller warship construction would be viewed favorably, as there was much more need for light cruisers on the African patrol than battleships, and Dönitz had proven the economic value of the submarine, since the entire submarine fleet had cost about as much as one Kaiser Wilhelm-class battleship.

Papen's ire over losing the naval battle in the summer of 1943 was matched by one of his favorite engineers, Ferdinand Porsche. Porsche had established a reputation by winning the bid for Germany's first production heavy tank, the PzKpfW VI "Tiger," in 1942, and had been eager to participate in the contract for the parallel development of a medium tank to replace the PzKpfW IV. However, Porsche had serious limitations, such as a tendency to let imagination run away with sound engineering judgment, and had been effectively shut down at the conference which Speer had called in March on the subject of the PzKpfW V. When Speer had laid out the problems of sloped-armor tanks, including specimens captured in Spain, reports from spies in the Soviet Union, and testimony from "Spaniards," Porsche had immediately begun sketching a solution. While the hand-sketching approach had appealed to Speer the architect, the Krupp team had convinced Speer that their solution to the medium-tank problem was much more feasible, and Porsche's ego had quickly worn on Speer.

The result was that the radical revisions for the next generation of medium tank were conducted in Essen and Meppen, not Nürnberg. The entire armored family was to be developed from basic concepts laid out in this Krupp design; MAN got the light-tank member of the family, which was nominally the last member of the PzKpfW II family, but in truth was much closer to the Soviet-designed BT-7 family. Henschel's Berlin plant, where the conference had been held, would be used to produce the heavy member of the family, a hybrid between Porsche's "Tiger" and Krupp's as-yet-unnamed VK 30.02. Porsche himself was forced to take the crumbs - the assault gun portion of the family, a desperate attempt by the artillery branch to stay on the leading edge of the battlefield. By September of 1943, six months after the conference, a mild-steel prototype mounting a 75mm KwK 40, a substitute for the planned long-barrel high-pressure KwK 42 that was used exclusively in the prototype stage was deployed at Meppen, and by December, the first production models of the new tank were coming off the Krupp lines to reach the Garde du Corps, followed shortly by other elements of the Garde-Panzerkorps. By March of 1944, most armored regiments in Germany's European forces had at least a few companies re-equipped with the Panther, with complete replacement in the Garde units.

Bundesarchiv_Bild_183-H26258%2C_Panzer_V_%22Panther%22.jpg

The new tank was called the "Panther," meant to emphasize its lightness and maneuverability in comparison to the Tiger. The trend of naming tanks had begun with Porsche, and was probably his main contribution to German armor following the conference of 1943. The Panther was armed with a long-barreled KwK 42 gun, which had much higher chamber pressures than the KwK 40 and, unusually, a semi-automatic feed coupled to an electric trigger rather than the lanyard or grip arrangements to which gunners were accustomed. It included a variety of other revolutions, including a massive Daimler-Benz diesel engine with a low-power inline heater on its fuel lines to keep the tank capable of starting in the expected conditions of Russian winter and skirts protecting its treads from glancing fire. There was considerable debate over diesel versus petrol engine, but the Krupp engineers' background was in railway design and the Daimler representatives required little persuasion since they would have the engine contract in either case.

799px-Me_262_flight_show_at_ILA_2006_%28cropped%29.jpg

The Panther was not the only vehicle to enter service in 1943 to feature a revolutionary engine; the Walter-drive Type XVIII submarine came into service after the Christmas trials of 1942, and the Messerschmitt firm came out of its Erhard Milch-inspired period of eclipse. Driven to the Luftwaffe again by the next-generation naval air contract going to Tank and Focke-Wulf, Messerschmitt returned to its core focus of building very fast, very agile aircraft and embraced a new technology, jet engines. The Messerschmitt 262 was one of the first Messerschmitt aircraft to bear the "Me" designator, reflecting the fact that Bayrische Flugzeugwerke had for some time been Willy Mersserschmitt's company. As with any crash program, the Me 262 had its share of problems; the engines, for instance, proved significantly less reliable and much heavier than Messerschmitt had been promised by Junkers. However, the Me 262 had several advantages for all that it was maintenance-intensive and relatively short-legged: it had no competitors of note, since French and British jet programs had been thrown backwards by a decade by the war, everyone involved with the Jumo 004 engine was absolutely certain that the initial teething problems could be reduced, if not completely overcome, and its "short legs" were still almost half again as long as those of the Focke-Wulf fighters it was supposed to replace due to its much higher cruising speed.

Haenel_Mkb_42%28H%29.jpg

The last branch of the Reichswehr to receive attention for updates and upgrades was, as always, the infantry. Regular infantry units started to receive the semi-automatic G40 in significant numbers for the first time, while mechanized and motorized troops, where space was at a premium and engagement ranges were much shorter thanks to transports, were issued a rifle developed at Haenel more or less as a thought experiment during the war, based off of reports from the French campaign. This rifle, the MKb 43, disposed of the Great War bayonet in favor of overwhelming, constant rifle fire from an open bolt. Since its primary designer, Hugo Schmeisser, had connections to some of the Luftwaffe leadership, he was surprised and gratified to find that the Hermann-Göring-Division was to be outfitted with his new rifle, and once the Luftwaffe had begun to buy into it, acceptance followed shortly thereafter for other armored formations. Schmeisser's design would take years to reach the mass of men armed with semi-automatic rifles, but there was precious little that could be done about that given the mass order of G40 rifles and the difference in engagement ranges between mounted and dismounted infantry.

Strictly in terms of machinery, the transitional year of 1943 was as important by itself as 1940 had been for evaluating the lessons of the previous year's war. The difference was that the Polish war had been quick and easy, and the lessons relatively few, while the lessons of the Low Countries, France, and Britain were many: the Russian development of sloped armor required a countermeasure, the decision to embrace the aircraft carrier allowed larger and more powerful carrier-borne aircraft, and the grenadier divisions were finally coming into their own with specialized equipment. The specialized Heer formations - Marinesturmdivisionen and Gebirgsdivionen - which had lagged behind in the great rush to modernize the infantry and armor received their own wave of attention at the same time with specialized mountaineering equipment coming into common usage and the marine forces receiving dedicated armor for the first time with the mass desertion of the Reichsheer from the PzKpfW II and PzKpfW III hulls. These tanks were not suited for anti-armor slugging matches, but they were capable of wading ashore, and were much better than an unassisted L-Boot or MFP landing. Over time, these vehicles would evolve into much more potent weapons, but for the moment, they were enough to persuade General Ehrhardt to invite Manstein to speak at Kiel on his British experience. The second significant change in Ehrhardt's forces was the addition of battalions of special pre-landing forces meant to mark landing zones and destroy beach obstacles. These units, including Marinejägerbataillon 1 and the Abwehr's Küstenjägerbataillon Brandenburg, marked the first dedicated coastal assault forces fielded by the Reichswehr, despite three years' worth of struggle by Ehrhardt and his assistant Henningsen to field full divisions. Those formations remained several years away.

Amtracs-LVTA-okinawa.jpg

Throughout the German war machine, there was a palpable sense of expectation. Men who had come into service too late to see action in the west were told by their officers and NCOs, almost universally western veterans, to be patient; their time would come. Every cue from Berlin aided that perception.