• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
This is just simply magnificent. :eek: The last one was one of the best updates I've read whole year, congratulations! Now, lets just hope the Brits, Canucks, French and Poles on that island pull their shit together, so that desperate struggle of this sort continues as long as possible!

76. England's Mountains Green

30mar42sealion.png

Headquarters, Heeresgruppe Dover
Maidstone, Occupied Britain
30 March 1942

There had been no noncombatants at the 1. Garde-Panzerdivision landing area. The fighting at Dover had been furious even by the tenacious standard set altready by the British. Manstein's troops had landed north of Dover itself, at St. Margaret's Bay, and fought their way southwest. By the time Manstein had established his command post in Dover Castle, he himself was filthy, covered in a thin layer of beach sand, with a large pebble jammed in his left boot and his blouse stiff and stinking of petrol from a twenty-liter can which had taken a bullet as he sought cover nearby. Despite longing to take to the Lord Warden's bed, he had stayed awake, directing the battle. This had taken on multiple dimensions: outward, into Dover itself, and downward, into a warren of tunnels housing the British command and control apparatus for the region. Desperate to take the tunnels, Manstein had ordered the use of tear gas and gas masks, fighting the British down level-by-level.

Taking the castle had actually been a fortuitous move, as it put them astride the telephone lines from below. Once the Castle had fallen, the night-time fight to take the rest of Dover had degenerated into a series of hand-to-hand skirmishes, grinding his weary, reduced grenadiers down still further, but by morning, they stood on the piers, the quarter of the officers who were still capable of it were celebrating in the Castle officers' mess, and Manstein himself was transmitting to Calais: Dover is fallen. Reinforce immediately.

Even with the intelligence provided by the spy Heydrich, there had been no way to bypass Dover, and no good way to take a town which had been fortified since the Romans, positioned as it was atop the cliffs with a commanding view around it. Dover's harbor had simply been too important to pass up, the Castle's potential to ruin the German advance too great, and the symbol of the "Key to England" too ripe a prize for Manstein to accept that he was a diversion. The three armored divisions finally linked together and thrust inland, enfeebled as they were, on the premise that the British defenders were even weaker. Manstein anxiously awaited reinforcement, but when it came, even he was surprised.

Only one corps - Witzleben's - came ashore at Dover. The majority landed to the north, at Joss Bay, nearly unopposed thanks to the absolute success of a Brandenburger platoon which had spent the past three days engaged in misdirecting every British unit that came along the A255. As a result, when General von Fritsch came ashore and assumed regional command, the Isle of Thanet fell virtually without a shot, giving Germany control of the entire Kent coast by the landing's third day. On the morning of the thirtieth, Manstein and Fritsch finally met at Maidstone, well inland. The fall of Kent's county seat, and the notional opening of the approach to London, was perhaps an even harder blow to Britain than the fall of Dover. It meant that the Germans were inland, and were likely here to stay.

It was an awkward meeting: Fritsch's presence guaranteed that Manstein was no longer the commander on the ground. As far as Fritsch was concerned, Manstein had done more than any man could reasonably be expected under the circumstances. He was among the generals who had criticized the British invasion plan as far too risky, even against a prostrate Britain, because of the difficulties of a landing. Fritsch was not in the habit of congratulating subordinates for doing their duties, though, and Manstein was exceptionally nervous about the losses the Guard had sustained in the performance of said duties. Thus, the exhausted Manstein, uniform hanging in folds around his former slight paunch from several days burning five to ten thousand calories a day, arrived half-dozing in a Kübelwagen at the Archbishop's Palace. When the vehicle stopped, he started awake, seeing surprisingly little evidence of battle damage. Once the coast had cracked, it appeared that no British resistance of any significance had appeared even this far inland - eighty kilometers in from his position, sixty from the landings in the Marsh. He saw a Totenkopf Hauptmann half-lounging on a motorcycle, trading jokes with a sentry who was smoking in uniform. Four days ago, he would have stopped and taken the sentry's name; now, a cigarette seemed the least important item on the agenda. Part of him actually longed to join the man.

Fritsch, monocled and immaculate, sat at the Archbishop's desk in his official office; most of the Archbishop's palace remained for the prelate, as the Kaiser had ordered minimal disruption in Britain, unlike France. France was to suffer; Britain was, generally, to be spared as far as possible. Of course, "as far as possible" depended largely on the British themselves, as they had displayed an unfortunate propensity, even in the areas occupied thus far, to take an occasional shot at passing groups of soldiers. "Yes, Manstein. Come in," Fritsch said, gesturing awkwardly, slightly irritable. "Don't have all day, Weichs is supposed to kick off for Portsmouth soon, need to get on with things. Sit, sit, I've already read your report." He took a deep breath, opening an attache case specially set aside. Its heavy, ornate clasp was in the shape of the breast star of the Order of the Black Eagle. Manstein surmised its origin from that clasp: Charlottenburg, most likely, or maybe Sanssouci given the season. "So, I assure you, has the All-Highest." Fritsch stood. "Attention!" he barked, drawing out a flat black box. Manstein stiffened, hands at his side, heels clicking together out of a generation's Bendlerblock habits.

"Generalleutnant Erich von Manstein, the Kaiser and War Minister in council repose great confidence in your abilities and fidelity, as demonstrated by the capture of the fortress of Dover. As a measure of this confidence, it pleases Us to convey upon you the rank of General der Infanterie, effective the first day of April, 1942. As a further measure of this confidence, it pleases Us to convey upon you a permanent appointment en suite as a member of Our Garde du Corps, entitled to the rights, privileges, and responsibilities of the Garde." As Fritsch recited the formula, he pulled a set of ornate gold-and-silver woven shoulderboards with two silver pips on each from the case, unclipped the single-pip boards on Manstein's shoulders, and replaced them. Once it was done, uncharacteristically, he did not offer his hand, but turned back to the case. Manstein was puzzled, until he saw a flat mahogany case, his eyes widening despite all his training. He knew what this meant even before he saw the blue ribbon.

"For his capture of the ancient fortress of Dover in the Kingdom of Britain on the twenty-sixth and twenty-seventh days of March, 1942, against the tenacious opposition of a worthy foe, We are pleased to invest Generalleutnant Erich von Manstein with the order of the Pour le Merite. General von Manstein's actions in the face of the enemy are in keeping with the highest traditions of the Reichsheer and the Kingdom of Prussia." Fritsch draped the blue ribbon around Manstein's neck, and the onetime chief of the Army finally offered his hand. "Fine work, Manstein. What I would expect of you." Whether it was formality or not, it was at least a palliative for the loss of Manstein's independent command in the region.

"Sir... if I may ask... what do you plan for the Garde?" Manstein asked as Fritsch took his seat again. The older man's face stayed impassive, a product of his monocle, though there was a slight arching of his right eyebrow. "You are to nominate a successor for 1. Garde-Panzerkorps, amalgamate with Geyr von Schweppenburg, and form 1. Garde-Panzer-Armee. You get to be the theater reserve for the moment, rest for a few days, and ready yourselves for London. Generalfeldmarschall Blomberg is to come ashore tomorrow." Fritsch stood and moved to a wall map, drawing broad lines with his finger. "England is to be divided along a line roughly London-Bristol, with Heeresgruppe Dover, Marshal Blomberg, to the south, Heeresgruppe Norfolk, Marshal Bock, to the north. That says nothing of Wales or Scotland, or of your army's disposition. The following phase lines are significant." Fritsch was apparently in his element as a Lichterfelde lecturer once more, Manstein thought somewhat unkindly. "Next, a line roughly Bournemouth-Bristol in the south, to contain Cornwall and allow Weichs to reduce the area at leisure. To the north, Bristol-Birmingham-Hull. That should allow London to be fully contained, and give us time to unload the K5s, patch up the rail lines, and persuade whoever sits on Downing Street this month to surrender." He waved his hand in dismissal of the importance of the British Prime Minister. "Frankly, General, I suspect that you will spend that entire time in reserve. You will probably have little to do until it's the Scots' turn." Fritsch turned away from the map, looking at Manstein with an expression of polite disinterest. "So - if no further questions, General, I recommend you concentrate your army at Canterbury and enjoy a bit of time off."

Manstein had many questions, but frankly, most of those could be left to his staff, and he was exhausted. He saluted, made his excuses, and departed as quickly as he could. The initial, most critical phase of the invasion - the opposed landing - was now over, and the Army could get to doing what it did best, without advice from the Navy.

---

500px-Keep_Calm_and_Carry_On_Poster.svg.png

This is London. Ministry of Defense officials today confirmed that there has been a successful German landing in the southeast of England. This follows a string of severe defeats for the Royal Navy in the North Sea and extensive aerial bombardment of the British fleet anchorages along the English Channel. It appears therefore that any effective resistance to the German advance must be made on land. While the British Home Forces are well-manned, it seems unlikely that they are equipped for the kind of war which the Germans practiced in Poland and France. When asked, the Chief of the Imperial General Staff, Field Marshal Ironside, swore to, and I quote, "drive the Germans into the sea by May Day." Morale in both regular and emergency units I have interviewed is high, and most of the anti-invasion measures devised by Prime Minister Attlee's predecessor, Winston Churchill, remain in place. The Imperial General Staff released a special statement to the people of Britain today, advising them to keep calm and carry on. Based on the state of British defenses observed by this reporter, and official reports from Ambassador Kennedy, it appears that whether the British army can establish an effective defense in England is at the moment highly tenuous. For the Columbia Broadcasting System, this is Edward R. Murrow, in London, signing off. Good night and good luck.

Bundesarchiv_Bild_183-L10819%2C_Waffenstillstand_von_Compi%C3%A8gne%2C_Berichterstatter.jpg

Good evening, America, this is William L. Shirer for the Columbia Broadcasting System in Canterbury. Today, the German government announced the formation of an occupation administration for Britain. The Kaiser's governor in Britain is to be Great War general Paul Emil von Lettow-Vorbeck, chosen on the grounds of his well-known association with his Great War opponents. Lettow-Vorbeck arrived today and conferred with the local garrison commander, General von Manstein, before announcing a general amnesty for all resistance to date, firearms ownership, and non-felony crimes committed since the German landing, as well as a policy of active cooperation with any British law enforcement agencies which wished to continue serving their communities. Lettow-Vorbeck's first statement, delivered in English, included a quote from President Lincoln: "We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection." This is in distinct contrast to German occupation policy in France, which includes reprisal measures as dictated by the German Minister of Defense, Field Marshal Bock. Privately, many German officers question the policy of leniency in England, but resistance has been muted for the first week of the occupation. For the Columbia Broadcasting System, this is William Shirer in Canterbury, signing off. Good night.

---

II/3. Leib-Panzerregiment "Totenkopf" Motor Pool
Outside Ashford, Occupied Britain
6 April 1942

Johann Volkmann ambled along the leading rank of the battalion motor pool. Each of the thirty-odd tanks that remained to the battalion, and the amalgamated third battalion's forty-four surviving SdKfz 251, had a new, stylized Iron Cross painted on its side, black with a charcoal-gray "W" in the center, symbol of the unit's blanket award of the Iron Cross, First Class, following the Romney Marsh landing. Maintenance tents had been erected in the field which they had bought - Johann thought incredulously about that, even if the occupation scrip was only redeemable to the French government, for reasons probably only the Chancellory understood. In the tents, the mechanics worked themselves to the bone trying to resurrect the vehicles that had been in the MFPs that had not made it ashore. The battalion maintenance officer, Hauptmann Eckers, had promised him that they would be able to recover probably half of the vehicles, given six weeks. Any more would require new builds from Germany. Being a Garde unit, they had already been promised the pick of the next conscript batch, so they would even have the men to drive them, if the conscripts interacted with the veterans worth a damn.

He finally arrived in the makeshift battalion orderly room, a former farmer's cottage. Kleist had appropriated the bedroom, the front room had been turned into an operations center, and the kitchen remained a kitchen, mostly catering to the officers' caffeine needs. Thanks to the Italian drive southward and the absolute command of the Mediterranean, coffee was no longer a concern, and for those who preferred tea - well, this was England. Kleist was surveying the map, freshly updated this morning. "Good news and bad news," Kleist drawled. "Erich the Red is still in Canterbury, so we still get to rest. That's the good news. Bad news... Tommy blew the docks in Portsmouth before Weichs got there. So other than a blown-up aircraft carrier and a couple cruisers, we found precisely nothing. So now we get to worry about whether we get to eat 'til the Luftwaffe finds those ships. That's as of about half an hour ago," Kleist added, smiling slightly apologetically. "I updated the map while you were out. Oh, and mail for you." He tossed a thin stack of letters on the desk. All of them had a Berlin postmark. His heart skipped a beat when he saw the addresses and frankings: Ilse, every day for the first week ashore. Gratefully, he tucked the letters into his blouse, nodding sheepishly, and made a note to read them later.

He moved into the kitchen, pouring black coffee into his canteen cup. At that moment, the recently-laid land-line phone rang, and the duty runner answered. "Second of the Third, go ahead." He suddenly turned white, turning to Kleist. "Sir, for you." He thrust the phone at the battalion commander and practically evaporated from the cottage once Kleist had taken it. "This is Kleist... sir. Yes, sir. Woking-Guildford, sir? Understood, sir, I'll grab my chief and be at division in fifteen. Moving, sir, out, sir." He hung up the phone and turned to Johann. "No rest for the wicked, Hans. They found the Guards Armored Division." Kleist stuck his head out the door, roaring out, "Eckers! Get 'em running, and get 'em ready to saddle up! You've got an hour." A faint acknowledgement reached Johann's ear as he rapidly gulped down his scalding coffee, disregarding the mild burn. At least, he thought when he finally considered it, the fact that he couldn't taste anything hid the likely vile, burnt taste of the coffee.

"So much for a month of rest," he muttered into his cup.

6apr42guardvsgarde.png

Last edited:
Christ almighty, so wrong and yet so awesome at the same time.

London under siege incoming!

Christ almighty, so wrong and yet so awesome at the same time.

Couldn't have said it better myself :D

Blame Enewald for me finding Lettow-Vorbeck some employment. I figure if there's anyone who can make a counterinsurgency in Britain work, it's him.

London under siege incoming!

I did say one of the near future updates was "Ironside in London." Ironside was not forced out and replaced by Brooke, partially because there's a certain morale value in being led by a man named Field Marshal Ironside.

Like a German who thinks he's British? ;)

Whoever are you talking about?

*hides Pickelhaube and Bowler Hat*

Clearly he's talking about... Dutch William, Georg "Cabbages" von Hannover, or Wilhelm "now make me a nice cup of strong English tea" von Hohenzollern, his son Wilhelm "I give interviews in English" von Hohenzollern, Joachim "Champagne, sir?" von Ribbentrop, Rudolf "Me? German?" von Ribbentrop, Carl Friedrich "Charles" von Siemens... :p

Next update's about half done, I think. Hard to tell, since there's always more blanks to fill in and I can get lost in minutiae. Small spoiler:

Churchill_IV.jpg

Winston rides again!

A battle of London incoming, that cannot turn out well. Yet I think an old warhorse like Ironside has the common sense to save most of London from house to house fighting if there is no chance for victory.

I think appointing Lettow-Vorbeck as Regent/Stadhalter/whatever is a smart move. The Brits will be angry and bitter, but when treated as human beings might accept the setback nontheless.

Wonder who will sit on the throne after all on this for some reason. I think putting Edward on the throne is too much for a traditional aristocrat as Wilhelm III, who disinherited his eldest son for a morganatic marriage, yet king George might be too stubborn to keep around. Will we see Elisabeth a bit sooner?

77. Guard Against Garde

Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-479-2196-25A%2C_Italien%2C_Panzer_IV.jpg

Forward Elements, II/3. Leib-Panzerregiment
South of Loxhill, United Kingdom
1800 6 April 1942

"Jesus, what a fucking dog's breakfast," Kleist muttered. "You think they ran some sort of sale before we got here? 'Buy a plough, get a PIAT?'" The anti-tank weapon had proven to be the uncontested king of British weapons, accounting for more German tanks than actual British armor had. They had lost three on the march here, and they had learned the hard way not to stop and try to figure out where the sniper was. It had cost them a half hour and a second tank the first time someone fired on them; after that, they had just ploughed on the second time it happened, using the coaxial guns to spray the hedges. The divisional pioneer battalion had scrambled to keep its mobile bridges in play as the convoy moved through, because it seemed that every drainage ditch, every canal, and every natural water feature had been widened until there was no easy way for a Panzer IV to cross. That it had taken only three hours more than General von Mackensen had estimated was a minor miracle.

Bf_110_Postkarte_Ausschnitt.jpg

The tensest moment had, ironically, had nothing to do with PIATs or bridges, but with the sudden appearance of low-flying twin-engine aircraft. No one in the German army had much faith that Fat Hermann's toys had really swept the skies clean, no matter what General Grauert in Berlin might have claimed, no matter what the morning briefings might say, and when two planes came roaring in low from the north, they had been absolutely certain that what they were facing were a pair of the Mosquitoes they had heard about in the pre-invasion briefs. They had splayed out in a herringbone formation across the road, two files staggered along the verges, and trained the cupola machine guns skyward as best they could, only to see the Balkenkreuz on the tail as the planes roared by, wings waggling at the armored column below them. It had arced to the southeast, probably to land at the field at Dunsfold, leaving behind a column of shaking fists and profanities.

They were near the limits of their mental tethers as the column arrived near Loxhill. Kleist called a halt and lager in a large field just off the intersection of the Godalming and Dunsfold Common roads. He surveyed the hills to their north in quiet unease. "Could be anything hidden up there, Hans," Kleist said, lowering his glasses. Johann Volkmann nodded silently, not bothering to reply, doing a quick calculation to determine distance. "Twelve hundred meters to the peak, you figure?"

Kleist nodded. "If it's a meter. Map shows it at one-fifty, us a little below one hundred in elevation. That hill is this area. A Pole could see that!" He swished from his canteen, then spat. "I'm not taking tracks up there, trees are too thick. And they've heard us. There's no way on Earth they could not have. The grenadiers still happy?" Johann grunted, knowing what was coming. "They're not going to stay that way," he finally replied. Kleist grinned. "Good man. Oh, and you're my grenadier company commander 'til further notice. I can give you a platoon of 'fours to put some teeth in 'em." Johann blinked, then stared straight at Kleist. "Sir. Are you... you know I'm not a leg."

Kleist looked steadily back at him. "I know that, you know that, but the grenadiers don't know that, and what I've got in mind needs a steady man, Hans. I can't give this job to just anybody. Besides... you think I'm going to be sleeping tonight?"

Kleist's plan was alarmingly simple. The armor would remain with engines running in the field, and would make noise as if camping, complete with fires against the chill. Crews were already dismounting to gather firewood. Exempted were Johann Volkmann and the remnants of III. Abteilung. They rested, sharpened knives, and oiled their MP38s. Every canteen was either full or empty, as was every belly according to taste. They removed or strapped down everything that could chink or jingle, they hastily blackened every exposed piece of metal, and they turned to rub the dark clay soil into their cheeks, already hollow. In the space of three hours they were transformed into ghosts. At 2100, he reported back to Kleist. "Jesus, Hans, I almost didn't see you! You've got a bright career in the minstrel show if this war doesn't work out." He grinned at Johann in appreciation of his own joke. Johann, daredevil though he might be in a tank, merely grinned sickly. The surviving platoon leaders, and the armored platoon he had been given, squatted beside him.

Kleist laid out a map and drew a flashlight - a certain taboo, but part of the ruse. "Here we are, here's Haydon's Ball, over there, and here's your objective, call it Hill 155. From here, I want you to cross the road... that main one, the two-lane over there, then make your way along the fencelines north to the base of the hill. It is imperative that you not get caught. I know you're grenadiers, but tonight you're Jägers. The map shows a road leading up to a house at the base of the hill... probably some country squire's estate. Take the house - QUIETLY! - and use it as an observation post. See what you can see in the woods on the hill, and then... I leave it to your discretion whether you can force the hill, but if you think there's even a remote chance, take it. Once you're secure, send up a flare and I'm going to race into the valley between Hill 155 and Haydon's Ball. With any luck, we can wrong-foot them and be in Hascombe up here by morning. You're on your own until I see the flare or you report back except for the armored platoon, which I'll release to the intersection, and you crewers, watch the hedges for PIATs. Any questions?"

Johann frowned. "What about the village?" The British had proven remarkably resistant to occupation; it was almost certain some old man with a shotgun was creeping out as they spoke. Kleist considered for a moment, then replied, "It's only four or five houses, I think we can make it through if we don't meet any resistance." He gazed longingly in the direction of Loxhill before adding, "Besides, if it weren't for General von Lettow-Vorbeck, we'd probably be sleeping there tonight. Anything else?"

There were no further questions, and the grenadiers moved out, subdued and apprehensive. They deviated from the original plan, crossing the main road and creeping through the fields to a low rise with a farmhouse on top of it. Their goal was not to be spotted in the attempt, and as far as human occupants went, they were successful. However, there was a deep, hoarse barking as soon as they broke into the thick woodland atop the knoll. They stopped, waiting for some sort of investigation - and the dog kept barking. The farmer did come out eventually, calling out to his watchdog to hush, grumbling about the war. It had no effect on the dog, and eventually Johann waved them forward again. An alarm that constantly went off, after all, was as useless as an alarm that never went off.

The tanks, meanwhile, turned toward Loxhill and crept forward at idle, hoping that their movement would be unobserved in the general noise of the battalion below. In the lead vehicle, a smooth-cheeked twenty-year-old peered in frustration through the seventy-five's sights. "Can't see a damn thing out there." He sipped from his canteen and the tank commander above him grunted. "Can't see anything up top either, Woll. So shut up and listen for that radio. The Biker knows what he's doing." Usually, he left unsaid.

In the field, the grenadiers crept forward, gray uniforms blending well into the bare field in the moonlight. They stayed low as they moved along the fenceline. The "house" that they had been sent forward to investigate turned out to be nothing more than a game warden's hut, currently unoccupied, incapable of accommodating all of the grenadiers. With two hundred and fifty men under his command, he probably commanded the largest "company" in the Heer, and cramming all of them into the hut would have been sheer folly. Thus, they spread out through the woods opposite the cottage, taking up positions and watching the darkness. Johann took his field glasses out, beside Hauptfeldwebel Eberle - the man who had waded back out to the halftrack - and gazed up at the hill. "Can you see anything up there?" Johann muttered out of the corner of his mouth. "Nothing," Eberle breathed in reply. "Wait - there. About halfway up. There's a shape there, too many straight lines to be natural." He pointed, and Johann followed his finger, frowning.

"Yes. I see it." They scanned along the hill at roughly that level, seeing a handful of these positions sticking out. They were fairly recently constructed, he guessed, and what he saw at one of them made his breath stick. A turret clearly traversed. "Shit."

As if on cue, the sky opened up. A moment after Johann had spoken, a half-dozen mortar rounds exploded in the battalion lager. It was virtually certain that any crews in their tanks were safe. The halftracks, and crews in the open, were not so certain, but there was nothing he could do for them but keep his eyes rigidly fixed on the hill and ignore the explosions drifting across the twelve hundred meters between him and Kleist's position. "We're going in," he announced. Eberle looked at him like he was insane, and he gestured at the hill. "Only way to take pressure off the battalion is to wake them up on the hill there. They won't be expecting it, at least," he added lamely, then turned his attention to the ground. How to approach...?

The hut was at the base of a very broad-throated draw. Because of foliage, and because of the shape of the ground, the draw was almost completely shaded at all times; movement up to the ridgeline was therefore potentially possible without detection. The problem was that this approach led to fortifications on both sides of the broad defile, and if they were spotted, there was no way to avoid a massacre. Johann's jaw set finally and he nodded to himself. If it had to be done... to get the rest of the battalion out from under the mortars, frankly, he would do anything. Where there were mortars, heavier guns would soon follow. "Eberle. Tell the platoon leaders... platoons in wedge, I want your best in the middle. We're going up that defile. We have to clear at least the road side of the ridge, send up our flare, and then hold tight, got it?" Eberle, far more experienced than Volkmann, nodded once, sharply, and slid away to begin briefing the platoon leaders. Any success they had on this assault would be Eberle's, he thought to himself.

The grenadiers began to creep forward, inching slowly across the last meters between the hut and the woodline before beginning the ascent up the hill. They fanned out in a broad arc, covering a hundred and fifty meters of frontage, with the MG40s spaced out among the squads. No tripods had accompanied them; the tripods were simply too cumbersome for an infiltration. Instead, squad gunners would fire either from the march or from the bipod. Save for the gunners, everyone else carried either a G40 or an MP38. Johann had scrounged an MP38 after Romney Marsh, on the off-chance that he might be forced to fight dismounted. He had never really expected to use it, let alone lead men into combat with it.

Moving into the woodline was one of the more difficult maneuvers they could attempt. The trees were bare, the ground covered in leaves, and a number of trees had fallen, either intentionally or naturally, making movement difficult. Johann felt his chest constricting with every step, doing his best to emulate the grenadiers as they covered ground. He knew intellectually that the mortaring and deliberate distraction by the battalion below should cover their approach, but instinctively, he felt he was alone out here, very far from home.

They had advanced only fifty meters when he heard the unmistakable crack of a boot on a twig. It had not been him, but that was no consolation as he heard the hillside erupt in an alarm, English phrases shouted above him. The Germans threw themselves flat as the British began to sweep the draw with machine guns. A set of parachute flares went up, illuminating everything in stark whites and shadows. Johann looked around, momentarily paralyzed into indecision, trying to spot the British defenses. They did an adequate job of highlighting their own positions with tracer fire, leaving little to the imagination. "EBERLE!" he yelled, waving frantically. "WORK TO THE WEST!" He pointed, and Eberle nodded grimly, low-crawling forward. There was little that Johann could do from his current position, and the company was largely fighting itself - the machine-guns had gone into action against the British positions, the grenadiers were crawling forward or hunkering down, depending on when and where.

Down at the crossroads, the five tanks saw the parachute flares go up and the tracers light off. "That's our cue," Feldwebel Dreier grunted, cuffing Woll's shoulder. "High explosive. Fire as they bear," he ordered idly, field glasses up. "Bunker. About halfway up the hill, bearing about three-twenty, range about eleven hundred." Woll seemed to vanish into his own world, dreamily murmuring, "I see it." He pulled the trigger, and the entire turret jumped backward slightly with the recoil. On the ridge, there was an explosion, and a number of trees fell, but in the tank, the breechblock came back, the spent casing flew out, and the loader heaved another round into place, slamming the block shut and dogging it down. "Ready!" The entire operation had taken five seconds, and already Woll was re-sighting, trying to reacquire the bunker.

On the ridge, Johann scrabbled forward under the hail of wood chips. The tankers down there were good. He had left them no orders, and they had engaged with surprising discrimination. The octagonal pillbox on the hillside fell silent momentarily, and Eberle used that pause to close in a series of mad rushes, men following him as if clinging to dear life. He visibly hesitated, then chose the side approach, less exposed to the tankers below as they released another round, shaking the ground and blowing a chunk out of the concrete emplacement. When men began to spill from the bunker, Eberle was there to greet them, MP38 firing from the shoulder. The first stage of clearing the hill was complete. Johann feared the cost given how long they were trapped under British fire.

As the parachute flares settled, a growling movement on his right drew his attention. "Shift left! Shift left!" he shrieked, knowing what it had to be. Men scrambled to follow his orders, moving onto the parts of the hill that they already controlled and flowing upwards. He himself crawled upward, sheltering in a fall of logs. A sharp boom followed; he had been on the outside enough times to know what a seventy-five sounded like. He had just never been on the receiving end. He clung to the ground, fingers digging in and heart pounding against the cold, gravelly soil. His eyes were corkscrewed tightly shut, and he realized that he was whimpering. This was not how a Lichterfelde man and a General Staffer behaved.

With a deliberate effort of will, he forced himself up from the ground, looking around. He did not feel anything... something to marvel at later, he supposed. Above him on the hill, he saw four boxy, ungainly tanks moving - like a Panzer III's idiot manchild son, he thought despite himself, large, square, and bulky, with obvious lines of rivets or perhaps bolts. His time at Meppen had taught him that was a mistake on the part of the British, but this momentary analysis got him nowhere. He looked around for the radioman, and discovered that the man would be of no use whatsoever: a neat hole in his chest blossomed into an exit wound out the back of the transmitter. He had been shot from very close, and probably never even knew he had been wounded. There was no way to tell the tankers down below.

Churchill_IV.jpg

There was also no need: They had been watching the ridgeline, and Dreier tapped Woll's shoulder again. "Ridgeline. Looks like armor. Armor-piercing, three-twenty-five, range thirteen hundred." A grunt was the only response, then a moment later, the gun roared again. Dreier marveled at the shot: thirteen hundred meters in the dark against a moving target, and the British tank still stopped moving and spilled out smoke. Woll just didn't miss. "Total kill, Bobby," he called out, clapping the gunner on the shoulder. Woll grunted again, a man in tune with his machine to the exclusion of all else. The next round slotted home and the gun muzzle quivered, seeking a new target. Among the platoon of armor, Woll's was the only first-round hit on the armor on the hill. The British pulled back off the exposed ridgeline as they watched, incapable of finding a shot that Woll felt comfortable with.

On the hill, the Germans crawled upward into the fire. The British armor had pulled back past the crest, and therefore could not depress to bear on them, but Volkmann knew they were there. His men slipped onto the heavily defended western approach and began the work of clearing the British back yard-by-yard, pillbox by pillbox. At five in the morning, they gazed down into the valley, and Johann, exhausted, pulled out the parachute flare. The sun had not yet risen, but he knew it could not be far off. He scrambled back out into the draw, where desultory fire from the other end of the hill told him the British were not completely beaten, to the hull of the wrecked tank. He knew the hull was exposed, but it was also the best position with the clearest view of the sky, the only suitable place for sending a flare up. On its side, he saw a badge, the star of the Order of the Garter. He filed it away for intelligence purposes, and raised his arm high to fire off the flare.

The flare shot upwards, and a rifle cracked in the night. Johann Volkmann slumped back against the wrecked Churchill, gazing down at his chest in shock. A red stain was spreading across his blouse, near the bottom of his ribcage. A yell reached him from the German side of the ridge - "SANI! THE BIKER'S HIT!" He sat up, breath coming quick and shallow, anything more too painful, and fought down the urge to cough. Each breath produced bubbles in the blood around the wound. So - lung puncture. Probably went out the other side. How very interesting. When the medic reached him, he could see by the man's face that it was bad. He looked up at him, gasping, whispering out, "Tell Kleist. Coldstreamers." The medic silenced him, quickly working to put a sealant layer against both wounds and bind dressings over them. Johann watched in detachment until he finally slumped back, exhausted. The medic, alarmed, quickly checked his pulse - thready, but still alive.

In the valley below, Kleist's battalion roared out of lager, pounding between Hill 155 and the Ball, a classic cavalry ride. The grenadiers held their position on the hill, waiting for Volkmann's orders in the dawn. With the dawn came the word: He was hit, and in no condition to lead them. The division's medical staff was at the airfield at Dunshold, and so it was there that they rushed him, along with a handful of the most severely wounded. By noon on the seventh, it was obvious that the dressings would do whatever could be done, and he was on an Annie bound for France.

Behind him, Kleist's battalion secured the division's first path through the ridgeline that formed the southern natural obstacle of the GHQ Line. The Germans ran headlong into a defensive line at Hascombe, finding the Guards Armored Division dug in, and the Guards fought their way backwards across the Wey. The German losses were slight, but the loss of time was significant. Leese had made a cold calculation, driving every farmer, herdsman, and cottager back to the north to allow a battlefield clear of all civilian combatants. It was in contradiction to standing orders to keep the roads clear of refugees, but it was also the only way to spare them the bloodletting that was coming.

Mackensen and Leese clashed at Farncombe, on the Wey. Leese was behind a seventeen-meter flooded trench, fighting with Britain's newest and best tanks, the Churchill and the Leyland-built Cromwell I, sometimes ironically called the Cavalier. Neither was as mobile as the Panzer IV, but behind the canal, in defilade, and dug-in, they did not need it. Leese blew all of the bridges on the Wey, and deliberately destroyed the locks at each passage, leaving the Germans no convenient way to cross, and Mackensen's division, already exhausted by the landing and fighting in Kent, found itself stymied for the first time in its long history. To Eberhard von Mackensen and the younger Ewald von Kleist, this was unacceptable. They had fought across the heavily wooded hills of Hampshire, and to be stopped by a simple canal and a handful of tanks was unacceptable.

Kleist, who had rapidly developed a reputation for being a spearhead battalion leader, found the solution. The Germans simply pushed rubble into the river at Milford until it was shallow enough for their armor to ford. In the face of determined opposition, the divisional pioneers took heartbreaking casualties doing so - Mackensen is said to have remarked that another 'victory' like this would get him cashiered - but they managed. Once they were across the river, and on Leese's western flank, there was no easy stopping them. The Guards Armored Division bounded backward in good order toward Bristol, with the hope of making an oblique march into London. By then, though, the Garde du Corps was in Newbury and Bock was in Milton Keynes.

London was alone.

For the English the best would be right now: ''If You Can't Beat 'Em, Join 'Em!!!

Yep, though the best the Germans can realistically hope for is the dissolution of the Western European alliance against them rather than a British alliance.

Bomb them with some German proper Lager.
Force the nobles to drink it.

Looks like Saxons came to visit their kinsmen, with weapons again.

The simile has crossed some German minds as well. :p

A battle of London incoming, that cannot turn out well. Yet I think an old warhorse like Ironside has the common sense to save most of London from house to house fighting if there is no chance for victory.

I think appointing Lettow-Vorbeck as Regent/Stadhalter/whatever is a smart move. The Brits will be angry and bitter, but when treated as human beings might accept the setback nontheless.

Wonder who will sit on the throne after all on this for some reason. I think putting Edward on the throne is too much for a traditional aristocrat as Wilhelm III, who disinherited his eldest son for a morganatic marriage, yet king George might be too stubborn to keep around. Will we see Elisabeth a bit sooner?

Ironside probably would, but by the time it becomes obvious, London is cut off.

More world-building for the possibility of Siegerkranz II - Neurath is contaminated by his association with the Small Cabinet in a case of guilt by association. Lettow-Vorbeck's popularity and record first as a military leader, then as British Statthalter, then as the Kaiser's African viceroy leads to his recall to Germany to serve as foreign minister.

I'll ruin the suspense regarding who sits on the British throne: it's George VI, out of a sense of duty. Though Elizabeth may be involved in an arranged marriage rather than marrying a Greek Mountbatten - Prince Friedrich, after all, is a confirmed Anglophile.

Damn, did you really suffer bad casualties?
And why is Johan again wounded?
And Kleist still not a general?

Suffering bad casualties in the initial contact battalion is to be expected. The rest of the corps could be completely unharmed, but that battalion's going to get mauled.

Johann is wounded because he had to stick his head out to send up a parachute flare. As for being wounded again, you have Johann and Wilhelm confused.

Kleist isn't a general because he's in his early 30s. You're confusing him with his father, Generalleutnant Ewald von Kleist the elder. I figure next time we see Kleist, Johann will get introduced to the Large Boots To Fill Club: Gero von Manstein, Heinz-Günther Guderian, Hans Gerd von Rundstedt...

77. Ironside in London

Residence of the Prime Minister
#10 Downing Street
London, United Kingdom
11 April 1942

569px-Edmund_Ironside.jpg

"Prime Minister," Field Marshal Sir Edmund Ironside said, as politely as he could, "I must insist that you depart the city immediately. His Majesty has already stated that he will not leave. The Cabinet has been sent away. Many of them have resigned to take commission! Sir, your government simply cannot function here, and if both you and the King are taken... we have no hope."

Clement Attlee sighed, brushing away Ironside's objections. "If I may say so," he said tiredly, "we have not had hope since Winston died." He looked tired, Ironside thought, exhausted in fact. The last two weeks had taken their toll, ever since the alert had flashed in along what had seemed an impossibly broad front. Even now, Ironside found himself asking where the Germans had gotten all of those ships. Where had they hidden them? In the Baltic, most likely. Damned unfair for them to have their own private lake. It did not matter now, though. Now what mattered was stopping them, by whatever means he could. Leese had been pushed out of Bristol by Geyr von Schweppenburg the night before, and was in retreat into Wales. German infantry had been spotted outside Birmingham, meaning that Leese, and the best soldiers of the British army, were likely trapped in Wales.

He shook off these thoughts, clearing his throat. "Prime Minister, the defense of the nation is my business. Would you please leave it to me? I can hardly conduct a proper defense of the City if it seems I have you looking over my shoulder!" Attlee's eyes flashed in defiance. "Do you think I want to fight this battle?" the Prime Minister asked, rising to his feet, leaning over the desk. "Do you think I want to go into history as the first man since Harold Godwinson to..." He could not bring himself to finish the sentence. Ironside shook his head sadly, setting his peaked cap back on his head. "I must insist, Prime Minister. You must leave the City. The Germans have surrounded us, but we still have aircraft. I have arranged with Air Chief Marshal Dowding for you to be taken to safety." Attlee looked away, looked down, anywhere but Ironside's eyes. "Major Attlee," Ironside finally added, voice gentle, "I have it within my power to order you to duty. Please do not make me." Attlee was practically the last of the Cabinet remaining in London. Eden had already resigned, taken up his commission again, and was with a Rifles battalion in Yorkshire somewhere. "Somewhere" was the best he could do, communications were becoming increasingly sketchy.

Attlee finally stood. "Very well, Field Marshal," he said, jaw firming, back straight. "I leave the defense of the City and His Majesty to you." Two hours later, Ironside sadly watched the Prime Minister's Mosquito lifting off from Heston, the closest aerodrome to the free portions of Britain. He had just enough fuel to reach Ireland; Attlee thought he was headed north, but Ironside could see the writing on the wall as well as any other military man: Britain was lost. All that remained was to make the loss as expensive as possible for the Germans.

Upon his return to the War Office, he was stopped by a staff captain, looking thoroughly uncomfortable in helmet and Enfield, who breathlessly saluted. "Sir! The Germans have sent a car under flag of truce. We've brought him in. Gentleman named Henry, Heinrich, something of the sort, sir." Ironside gestured for the captain to lead, and he followed, picking up his own helmet as he went. The visitor's Kübelwagen, white flag still at its fender, was parked at the intersection of Horse Guards and Whitehall. Its occupant was a greatcoat-wearing little man, gloves peeled off and held in one hand, looking as nonchalant as possible in an enemy city. The rank tabs on the man's shoulders said General der Infanterie; a glance at his tightly controlled face told Ironside that this was no Ludendorff, no mere staff officer. This was a fighting general.

He was also not as arrogant as he might have been. Upon Ironside's approach, he drew himself to attention, saluting crisply and holding the salute a fraction longer than Ironside's return demanded. "Generalfeldmarschall Ironside, yes?" the man asked, continuing, "My English, it is not the best, I apologize." The irony of playing gracious host was not lost on Edmund Ironside, but he smiled and replied in German. "Of course, whatever we may do to make you comfortable, General...?"

"Heinrici. General der Infanterie Gotthard Heinrici. It is a pleasure to meet you." Heinrici offered his hand, looking up at the much taller Ironside as he did. Ironside racked his brain, trying to remember this man by reputation at least. Of course... that business in Poland, he was one of the stars there. Got into an argument with their fellow Bock, rather surprising he had kept advancing. "General Heinrici. Of course. You understand if I wish the circumstances were reversed?" Ironside asked, face carefully bland. Heinrici nodded gravely. "Yes. I am sorry it has come to this, sir. I am here... without the authorization of Generalfeldmarschall Bock, you must understand... to ask you to declare London an open city. If you do, I assure you that I will allow you to march out with honors intact. If you do not..." Heinrici's determined gaze caught Ironside's. "If you do not, then I am very sorry for what we both know must come."

Ironside considered accepting for just a moment - but, like Attlee, could not bring himself to do so. Being known as the general who gave the Germans London... it was simply not done. He shook his head sadly. "No, General. I thank you for the offer, but I must refuse. London still fights." Heinrici, just as sad, nodded. "Yes, thank you, sir. I was certain that such would be your answer. It would have been mine, were it my home. I felt that it had to be asked. Would you please see to our return to our lines?" Ironside hesitated, then offered his own hand. "Of course, General. Happier times, eh?" Heinrici barely smiled, ducking his head in a sort of nod, and whistled to his driver. Ironside watched them depart, then proceeded through the Horse Guards arch to make his report to his one remaining superior.

One hour and forty-five minutes later, the first shell landed in the Horse Guards parade ground, killing four and wounding several dozen as it blew out the windows on the courtyard side. It was half past one in the afternoon.

797px-Hallam_Street_Blitz_Bomb_Damage.JPG

The Battle of London was almost an anticlimax. For three days, the German infantry advanced under the close cover of assault guns. Ironside issued every weapon in London, handing them to able-bodied men without question of origin or intent. It no longer mattered, so long as the weapons pointed outward. The Royal Air Force had been driven from the sky completely, the last aircraft evacuated northward with the idea that London had no fuel with which to feed them. In addition to the dozen massive 280mm K5 guns which Heinrici had arrayed to the north, the Luftwaffe threw dive bombers and twin-engined bombers at the city around the clock. London became less a battlezone, more a target, as the Germans made no effort to advance, but continued firing into the wreckage. Heinrici crept his infantry forward from the north, Blomberg from the south. On the fourteenth, the last supply flight from Croydon was shot down. Finally, at midnight on the sixteenth, the endgame began.

Bundesarchiv_Bild_183-L20582%2C_Charkow%2C_Strassenk%C3%A4mpfe.jpg

The sudden unleashing of the German assault guns and infantry in close concert surprised and unnerved London's defenders, who had grown used to sporadic sniping over the last few days. The result was that, by nine in the morning, Heinrici was in Islington, and Blomberg had fought his way into Lambeth. Westminster was now under direct, observed fire from German artillery, King George was sheltering in the Green Park tunnel, and Ironside was directing a fight for a city rapidly being split in two. Bock mercilessly drove his subordinates onward, ordering that the fighting not cease until London surrendered. At five in the evening, Ironside sent forward a runner under flag of truce, surrendering Westminster to Heinrici.

London had fallen to the Germans, and with it, the last hopes of the Empire.

16apr42londonfalls.png

And yes, I know that advancing that fast against a quarter-million or so armed defenders is patently ludicrous. A week-long Battle of London would work if, say, London were Minsk in 1941, but the sprint into London is a game artifact like the mysterious disappearance of the Royal Navy.

And in the back, the Doors start playing "This is the end...."