• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
There is not much more to say about this, you will just have to play the game. :) However, I can give you another little morsel: Brigade Upgrades. In Semper Fi, players are allowed to upgrade certain types of brigades to other types (usually a more advanced and expensive type.) For example, if you have a very experienced artillery brigade, you might want to upgrade it to a self-propelled artillery brigade. Well, now you can. The downside is that the brigade is taken from the field and moved to the production queue, though when the upgrade is complete it will automatically deploy back to the division it came from.
FINALLY! I have been waiting for that feature for years :)

Woo, i suggested the upgrading of divisions a couple weeks ago. So happy to see it. Quick question though, if the division is taken off the map, and that province was then captured by the enemy. would they pop back into that province and retake it and possibly be surrounded?

I applaud to the devs involved! It's good you rediscovered the virtues of the series. After so much disappointment, i really feel relieved.The good days of great memories with HoI 2 being gone shall not mean that there won't be any good days with HoI 3.

In my first Semper Fi developer diary, I mentioned that getting the game to feel more historical is one of our main goals with the expansion. We want the players to feel like they are enacting World War II, not some abstract and fictional conflict. The main thing here is to stay as true to real events as possible while still allowing for plausible divergence.

Yes, this finally sounds promising! WW2 as the guideline, very good.
Just as it was in HoI 2 DD+ - who really wants to fare different, may do so.

We have addressed all of these factors. The events and decisions have been looked over, with some removals, additions and changes. The diplomatic AI is essentially rewritten, with many custom behaviours for different countries. (Expect Lothos to post an example of this soon.)

Great stuff! More historical events and an AI in sue of what parameters allowed for in reality! Again, the player can make a difference if he wants to.

There is not much more to say about this, you will just have to play the game. :) However, I can give you another little morsel: Brigade Upgrades. In Semper Fi, players are allowed to upgrade certain types of brigades to other types (usually a more advanced and expensive type.) For example, if you have a very experienced artillery brigade, you might want to upgrade it to a self-propelled artillery brigade. Well, now you can. The downside is that the brigade is taken from the field and moved to the production queue, though when the upgrade is complete it will automatically deploy back to the division it came from.

Sounds promising, too. I hope for ships to get that ability, too. I don't mind taking them from the map for a year or so - for as long as i can upgrade them. That's what has always been the case in reality.

I have to disagree, as I personally prefer ahistoric outcomes. I know how WWII turned out irl, and I'm more interested in not repeating it! As long as there are options to go either way, I have no problem with the historical trend.

As stated above, i take the reversed stance. As far as i understand Doomdark, you can deliberately leave the realistic road if you really want to. Remember HoI 2: It was inclined to follow history but you could do different as any power.

I think that's the path to take. The opposite direction was the 'wrong lane'. No immersion, no will to follow a thingy that didn't allow for any historical course. The game yet is totally deterministic - but without any reason or background to base that course on.

These all seem like very welcome changes, Doomdark. The historical battle pop-ups are a nice surprise. I like the casualty numbers too, though a bit more space between "4100" and "Enemy Losses" would look better in my opinion.

Screenshot 3 shows an infantry brigade ready to be upgraded to several unit types, including marines twice. Is there any reason for this?

The Battle of Moskva text has two grammatical errors that I can see:

"but the Red Army pressed still back" word order

"- Wehrmacht was not unbeatable" "Wehrmacht" needs a "the" in front of it.

More immersion is so great. The picture with the Moscow taking was so great, we need a lot of these how many are there going to be?

historical battle events are soooo great ;P

Can ships be upgraded via the brigade update? It seems the perfect way to model the upgrade of older BBs with new un-upgradable technology. Additionally, does the upgrade for any type cost the full amount of IC and time, or is there some cost advantage to upgrading??

Can ships be upgraded via the brigade update? It seems the perfect way to model the upgrade of older BBs with new un-upgradable technology. Additionally, does the upgrade for any type cost the full amount of IC and time, or is there some cost advantage to upgrading??

There is a large time and cost bonus, with its current strength factor in, of course.

Nice Dev Diary.

Question to Doomdark: I remember Johan said in the live chat Interview, that Paradox plans to get Semper Fi feature complete in mid may, and the release day than depends on the time you give yourself for bugfixing. So, is it allready the case? Can you comment on the status of progression for the game?

Greetings

Nice Dev Diary.

Question to Doomdark: I remember Johan said in the live chat Interview, that Paradox plans to get Semper Fi feature complete in mid may, and the release day than depends on the time you give yourself for bugfixing. So, is it allready the case? Can you comment on the status of progression for the game?

Greetings

The game is feature complete, I can say that much.

I like the upgrade option. I feel these types of units should be upgradeable:

Motorised to mechanized
Light armour to medium armour
Artillery to mobile artillery
Infantry to motorised

And perhaps, just for the flavour, one German Fallschirmjager Div. to a Luftwaffe-Panzerdivision :D

The Strategic targets are great, but each major nation should have certain specific targets that really suit them, like navy for Japan and USA and land techs for USSR and Germany

Oh and please make the USSR better with extra manpower, org and IC somehow because it is a pushover when it doesnt have Winter War.

Greetz

There is a large time and cost bonus, with its current strength factor in, of course.

Absolutely gorgeous to hear!

@Boemsie
USSR mainly is a walkover since it always ends up at war with JAP and transfers the bulk of it's army over to Siberia. Dunno whether manpower of a neutral USSR would be so much of an issue since the boosting events.

Woo, i suggested the upgrading of divisions a couple weeks ago. So happy to see it. Quick question though, if the division is taken off the map, and that province was then captured by the enemy. would they pop back into that province and retake it and possibly be surrounded?

You don't pull the entire division out, you pull brigades out of the division. The division stays on the map at all times.

How will practical gain with upgrades be handled?

Full and you can get practical cheaper, none and you miss out on it. Neither seems to be good choice.