• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
While I think that more historical flavor is a great thing, the key word is flavor, not straightjacket.

Please do not have anything like the current batch of surrender events that can effectively negate major deviations from history and ruin entire games.

Being encouraged to follow history is cool. Being shoved back onto the tracks if you strayed is not.

Has there been any discussion toward adding additional start dates/scenarios in Semper Fi or additional releases?

Almost all players use 1936 as their start date of choice because it is the earliest and allows the player to taylor their nation the way they want it for the conflict, within the historic realm of possibility. This is by far the most fun part of the game and is far too short.

What are the chances of getting a 1934 starting scenario as a bonus pack or in Semper Fi?

Thanks.

Has there been any discussion toward adding additional start dates/scenarios in Semper Fi or additional releases?

Almost all players use 1936 as their start date of choice because it is the earliest and allows the player to taylor their nation the way they want it for the conflict, within the historic realm of possibility. This is by far the most fun part of the game and is far too short.

What are the chances of getting a 1934 starting scenario as a bonus pack or in Semper Fi?

Thanks.

If things go well, your save from Victoria 2 will be exportable to HoI3, and you can export your EU3 games to Victoria 2, so the earliest date will be 1399 ;)

pretaining to the ship refitting posts

during the 30s some battleships were refitted. most had new engines or boilers, armor was added, a few did have main guns replaced, but most had there elevation changed. then u had changes to the other guns radar and such.

the complete refits of the us battleships sunk at pearl harbour only took a cpl years before they were back in action. us ships size was changed so they could fit thru the panama cannal also

Well, that's fair - WW1 BBs did suck after 1942! The UK Royal Navy had five WW1 BBs - Royal Oak, Royal Sovereign, Revenge, Resolution and Ramilles - that were sent to the Indian Ocean after Singapore fell but never engaged in offensive operations because, well, they would have been towsed!

I thought one of the R's was sunk by U-boat at Scapa Flow... wiki says Royal Oak in '39.

But fundamentally I agree with you, many of the WWI era ships, particularly those built on a budget like the R's or poorly maintained like many in South America, were simply not up to anything beyond convoy protection or being floating batteries. And there's only so much you can do to them before you're better off building a new ship or aircraft. Perhaps it should be possible to upgrade a ship's armour, main guns and engines once and only once (and do so with a modifier to cost), because a lot of ships were refitted. But you couldn't turn the Ramilles into the Vanguard, whatever you did.

Upgrading ships in a general way is just nonsensical. HoI already has short building times for new ones compared to real WWII production. I think it would be enough to allow the selling of ships, and teach the AI to do that plus some scrapping to make space for new designs.

For 1.4, a player can easily refresh the fleet if necessary. The AI can also be made to build capital ships even if not requested (at least using AIIP, don't know about vanilla). For now, the old ones get battle-scrapped when war breaks out...

I thought one of the R's was sunk by U-boat at Scapa Flow... wiki says Royal Oak in '39.
Sorry, yes - the original contingency plan was to send all five, but four were actually (eventually) sent as one had been sunk.

I would really like to buy HOI3 as I really liked the last one but the screens continue to look absolutely horrid. I would have hoped that this exapansion would have incorporated all the ancillary sprite packs plus encouraged a few GUI colour layout alternatives to be provided to encourage people like me who want a little more eye candy to their games. I am afraid I still wont be buying based on what I have seen. A lost opportunity.

Didn't read entire thread as I've been away quite a while. So apologies if this has already been answered.

Will Semper Fi still allow radically different non-historical outcomes? Basically what I'm hoping for is a game option that allows you to turn on/off historical events.

Didn't read entire thread as I've been away quite a while. So apologies if this has already been answered.

Will Semper Fi still allow radically different non-historical outcomes? Basically what I'm hoping for is a game option that allows you to turn on/off historical events.

That can be arranged pretty easily even without a button on the interface :) You only need to delete the '\decisions' folder, and almost everything from the
'\events' folder.

That can be arranged pretty easily even without a button on the interface :) You only need to delete the '\decisions' folder, and almost everything from the
'\events' folder.

That way will be never a war. Changes to the ai script(diplomacy) its necesary too.

Last edited:

Thanks.

A 1934 start would require entirely new research of leaders, generals, unit names, starting positions-- something I don't think they've done since HOI1. It would probably be twice as much work as everything else we're getting in Semper Fi combined, so it is unlikely and personally I would rather they focus efforts elsewhere.

A Question on early Variable Political Events

In the 1936 game can these "custom behaviors" and " Strategic effects" give rise to some major game variable situations? Example Japan being affected more by a "League of Nations" action when they declare war on Nationalist China, or could Germany instead of forcing the Czec question at the treaty of Munich ask for the Polish corridor instead.

Could there be a chance for some unusual political lobbying? Such as certain countries supporting the Serbs or Croats in Yugoslavia causing a type of civil war there, having actions that could lead to WW2 start time or starting location?

These are just suggestions, 100s of alternate historical events could be possible, especially in a 1936 game.

The new event window looks very pretty. The only problem is that it'll be impossible to create the same look for custom event pictures unless the original overlay file is included with Semper Fi or as a seperate download. The same goes for other files such as the overlay for the province pictures or the tech screen background without the arrows on them. Releasing/including these source files would be a great help to the modding community and would at most add a few MBs to the Semper Fi download.