• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
... For example, if you have a very experienced artillery brigade, you might want to upgrade it to a self-propelled artillery brigade. Well, now you can. The downside is that the brigade is taken from the field and moved to the production queue, though when the upgrade is complete it will automatically deploy back to the division it came from...

Best thing i've read so far. Better late than never.

OK here i go into the mix...lol
(I love what I'm seeing for SF)

questions
1) upgrades- i agree with your method most units had to be removed from the front line to be upgraded or overhauled.
-will I as a modder be able to mod this, what units can be upgraded to what units.
for eq. i want to create a string of upgrades for cavalry
"horse cavalry to motorized cavalry to armoured cavalry or air cavalry"
will we be able to "turn off" so when cavalry tech get high enough you are no longer able to build horse cavalry.(this will help keep the clutter down in the build screens)
will i be able to say upgrade to a unbuildable unit, i want to put elites in my mod but i don't want the player to be able to build them (they show up as events), but i want them able to upgrade them, so "Fallschirm Div. 'Hermann Goering'" would show up as a elite paratrooper but then it can be upgraded to a elite mechanized or elite armour unit if the player wants to, but these elites will not be normally in the build screen (keep players from exploiting the elites).

2) will this upgrade be available for naval or air units
for eq. i want to keep a separation between prop aircraft to jet aircraft(plus using a different counter would be nice), so a player can decide to either build a new jet-fighter unit or upgrade his experienced ones into jets.(not just the tech upgrade)

for naval upgrades most ships were not upgradeable per-say but ships did get upgrades in different ways which i would like to be able to do.
eq. most first carriers were converted battleships or battlecruisers
in my mod i have converted carriers as a unit or hybrid carriers.
it would be nice to be able to have an old battleship "upgrade" into a converted carrier or hybrid carrier (but not have these as buildable units).
or downgrade a battleship into a battlecruiser or a cruiser into a AA cruiser.

also HQs i want to create different HQs, with upgrading will HQs be able to be effected, so i can have a infantry hq, mobile hq, armygroup hq. etc.

i hope this makes some sense :confused:

so ya as a modder how much modding of the upgrade system will we have ability over or will it be the dreaded hard-coded.

how hard would it be to implement having a rally point. Say you just got done with russia and want to invade USA. Instead of going through the entire map finding every unit that is not HQ. could you just turn on the AI, click on the port or place you want them to all rally at for transport and they will all go. Maybe even say "only infantry" or "only armor", how hard would that be. It would be very useful.

how hard would it be to implement having a rally point. Say you just got done with russia and want to invade USA. Instead of going through the entire map finding every unit that is not HQ. could you just turn on the AI, click on the port or place you want them to all rally at for transport and they will all go. Maybe even say "only infantry" or "only armor", how hard would that be. It would be very useful.

Do you use a proper OOB hierarchy? Because if you do, then this is pretty easy: Just select the highest ranking HQ you want to send and click on the green button under the HQ's brigade in the unit card, thus selecting the whole army, and you can send them wherever you want together.

i dont know what OOB means, but i do use the hiearchy. I have never been able to get it to work the way you are saying though.

OOB = Order Of Battle

i dont know what OOB means, but i do use the hiearchy. I have never been able to get it to work the way you are saying though.

multi_select.jpg

There are land, air and naval battle events in Semper Fi. Some of these are "Operation this-or-that" (Operation Jericho for example) but mostly they are about famous battles of various sorts.

I'm one of the scripters, I write events, OOB's and other things that are needed.
I really love all effort to make these events more understandable for people that play HoI3 but not necessarily have to know alot about history.

For example about the 40 well-equipped Siberian divisions mentioned. Divisions is something the player will understand and relate to even with no other knowledge :)

Just like for example writing that the Pearl Harbour attack was historically carried out with 12 Carrier airwings, not 414 aircraft.

There are land, air and naval battle events in Semper Fi. Some of these are "Operation this-or-that" (Operation Jericho for example) but mostly they are about famous battles of various sorts.

I'm one of the scripters, I write events, OOB's and other things that are needed.

Ah, cheers. I'll be sure to critique your starting OOB's then ;)

Though in all seriousness, I hope someone touches up a few of the scenario OOB's. SF obviously intends to add more immersion to the game, and this should be an easy enough fix, possessing as you a do a fancy new editor.

As long as the player isn't handcuffed into history and as long as the AI will react to ahistoric play I guess I can't complain.

Perhaps in the next expansion you can give the fans who know how WW2 turned out and want to change it some hardcore a historical events. That seems only fair since truthfully this community is divided on the subject.

For all you guys wanting history I can't blame you. But do not under any circumstances tell me to look into mods for ahistorical play. That is what my group has been telling you guys since day 1 and you didn't listen. Fair is fair, in next expansion give the ahistorical crowd a bone with ahistorical events!

As long as the player isn't handcuffed into history and as long as the AI will react to ahistoric play I guess I can't complain.

Perhaps in the next expansion you can give the fans who know how WW2 turned out and want to change it some hardcore a historical events. That seems only fair since truthfully this community is divided on the subject.

For all you guys wanting history I can't blame you. But do not under any circumstances tell me to look into mods for ahistorical play. That is what my group has been telling you guys since day 1 and you didn't listen. Fair is fair, in next expansion give the ahistorical crowd a bone with ahistorical events!

I certainly hope the AI will be able to play effectively against ahistorical play.

I just hope that the scope of things which can occur remains reasonably grounded in some form of reality. :)

I am one those guys who just likes HOI to be true to history. I like events for Barbarossa, Pearl Harbor etc etc. And I feel the AI has to be straightjacked somehow to act in a somewhat historical way, coded for Eastfront and Overlord like actions. I dont like very ahistorical games.

I therefore hope that SF will be more historical than the vanilla game now.

thank you doomdark ;) sorry for this late reply but i have been busy !

i like how the progress is going, keep going devs !
if you keep going like this, you have 1 more buyer for SF.

1 more question, can't you do the same for ships?
so you upgrade their guns and they are moved inside a dockyard to strip their guns and place the new ones on it....

its the same like the unit upgrades, take them back to the production queue for like 40 days or so :D or else pre war BB's always suck in 1942 and onwards :(
=D =D =D =D =D =D =D =D =D =D =D =D =D =D =D =D =D =D =D =D =D =D =D =D =D =D =D =D =D =D =D =D =D =D =D =D =D =D THANK YOU PI DEV'S, LUV YU!

its the same like the unit upgrades, take them back to the production queue for like 40 days or so :D or else pre war BB's always suck in 1942 and onwards :(

40 days? You can't replace the radar system on a ship in that time, let alone all the guns with their loading systems and all... It wasn't popular to refit ships for a reason, you know :)
It's not impossible, though, but would take far more than a month or two.

1 more question, can't you do the same for ships?
so you upgrade their guns and they are moved inside a dockyard to strip their guns and place the new ones on it....

Well, that's fair - WW1 BBs did suck after 1942! The UK Royal Navy had five WW1 BBs - Royal Oak, Royal Sovereign, Revenge, Resolution and Ramilles - that were sent to the Indian Ocean after Singapore fell but never engaged in offensive operations because, well, they would have been towsed!

You need to distinguish between (a) routine refits and upgrades, including replacing gun barrels like-for-like, improving AA armament, upgrading radar, etc. etc. - and (b) rebuilds, adding more armour and changing the main armament and/or engine. The first of these could be done in just a few months and was necessary for all ships, eventually; the second one took years and was very rarely done - usually it was done to get around some treaty obligation, actually. In a few cases such things as flight decks or cargo space were added - but even that was usually to merchant ships, not to warships.

Actually all Royal Navy battleships except for HMS Rodney, Nelson og the King George V class were from the WWI era.....

So the RN only had WWI battleships at the outbreak of war.....

Actually all Royal Navy battleships except for HMS Rodney, Nelson og the King George V class were from the WWI era.....

So the RN only had WWI battleships at the outbreak of war.....

At the outbreak of the war they couldn't really have WWI battleships, now could they? ;)

At the outbreak of WWII, of course....;)

Yeah, I meant that as well. But to have a WWII battleship, you would need to build it during WWII, wouldn't you? Which you can't before WWII, so you can't have WWII battleships at the start.
Of course I wasn't that serious about this, as they could build battleships during the 20 interwar years, which they didn't, due to the international treaties in effect.

Yeah, I meant that as well. But to have a WWII battleship, you would need to build it during WWII, wouldn't you? Which you can't before WWII, so you can't have WWII battleships at the start.
Of course I wasn't that serious about this, as they could build battleships during the 20 interwar years, which they didn't, due to the international treaties in effect.
Aaahh.... now I see....;) Good point! :rofl:

HMS Nelson and Rodney was launched in 1925 under the Washington Naval Treaty...