• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Rome is the new black?

All the cool kids want to be known as Rome?

The Calipha is the by heaven appointed representative of Allah on earth, and as such holds a much higher title than the worldly 'emperor'. As for what the dark throne in the depth of Rus titles himself no man is quite sure, most men we send up that river never return quite sane.

All the rest of christendom appear to believe themselves emperors ever since Milan lost its grip over europe...

Last edited:
What's Cordoba, then? "Even Wester Rome"? "Westest Rome is Bestest Rome?"

Córdoba, which in fact prefers to be referred to as 'Al-Andalus', has no claims of any kind on the title of Rome. It represents a new path; not a successor state but a separate entity, an alternative to archaic, 2000-year-old traditions suitable for keeping out the barbarians but not for international relations in a modern age.

In fact, you may choose to refer to us as Not-Rome, as that seems to be the more discerning title nowadays.

Rome is the new black?

All the cool kids want to be known as Rome?

Bah! What Christians want to call themselves is irrelevant. A true servant of God is called a Muslim first and foremost.

Besides, this is not Rome. This is Chaldea! The mightiest empire in the world!

Gollevainen tells Reko about St. Jesus the Carpenter

He rose up. Something had awakened him. For the first emerging moments he couldn’t sense anything beyond the agony and misery that reigned over him. His whole body was dry… storm raved in his head but gave no rain. His stomach… all the interiors of his guts where on fire. A horde of reindeer marched there.

The smell almost brought the salvaging unconsciousness to end this all… almost. He sighed. Heavily…
It was a knock on the door. It had awoken him. There it was again…
“What?” Gollevainen croaked. His mouth was so dry that no word eventually reached the outer parts of his awareness.
It should have been enough.
“What? For goodness sake…”

But this time his harsh whisper reached outside his little cabin. The knocking stopped. But instead of leaving him into a well earned silence, somebody opened the door. Someone stepped inside.

“Feeling ill?” Dôn said smiling. She sounded like all the well being of human form had condensed into a single being and that being was there just to remind Gollevainen of his own miserable state of affairs.
“Burn in Hellfire!”
“Ah, feeling religious today…?”
“Feeling like a funeral…”
“Well, cordial state of mind never the less…good.”
“Bad…”
*smile*

“The little prince has something he needs from you.”
“Tell him to go to hell…”
“No, we cannot say such things for a tender child, can we? Instead we…or you in matter of fact will need to tell him about religion in wider spectrum.”
“Tell the bishop…”
“We don’t have any bishops.”
“…damnation!”
“Anyways. The boy is not feeling so pious as his station and position requires. We need to do something about this. Since you brought us here, you shall very well put your oar to the water as well: Tomorrow, at this time, you and the prince, religious…you go very religious. Got it?”
“Burn in…”

And the door slammed and left Gollevainen alone in his misery.

*****​

Prince Reko of Finland tried to stuff a wooden stick into the ear of his own pet piglet. The Piglet grunted aloud, farted and run away leaving Reko roar in his own amusement. The piglet tried to seek asylum behind Gollevainen’s back but he had no sympathy for their breed.
He threw the poor beast back to his owner’s mercy.
“Hey!” the boy cried and took the animal under his arms.
Gollevainen just stared him …with glance that eventually dried out all resistance.
“God likes pigs. Don’t cram sticks to their ears.”
Instead of obedient submission, the boy just stated: “But you tossed him around.”
“it…not him, it. It’s a pig. God might love pigs. I ate pigs….and I hate pigs.”
“But but…”
“But?”
“But how come I have to follow what god wants and you don’t?”
And again Gollevainen just stared him.
“Someone hadn’t read his fible apparently…”
“Bible…”
“…”
…his fible from the book of….mmm….Jodokus, yeas the second letter by Jodokus to the congregation of Salzburg where in the second verse it says: “…and the lamb said: Thou shall not listen when the Egyptians wants you to push the piglets into the ground when they wallow in the earth. But No, as it is the god’s will!“
“It does not!” The boy cried.
“it does.”
“There is no letters of Jodokus in the bible!”
“There is…”
“There is not!”
And before the boy though he had won the shouting match, Gollevainen rose up and looked tremendous.
It silenced his rebellion and the boy started to cuddle his piglet.
“You don’t know nothing…” he said with half words and bore little grudge towards the old witchdoctor.
“People say that you are pagan.”
“Oh they do?”
“Yeah. And that you know nothing about Jesus Christ or about the virgin mother.”
“I don’t?”
“Yes.”
“I see…”
And the boy tried to seek cover behind his own little piglet’s back when Gollevainen approached, but just when he was about to grab him, the door opened.
Dôn entered the room.

sermon-on-the-mount.jpg

And Behold: On Seventh day after the Space Rhinos of Mercury had left the earth and left behind wide variety of cosmic toiletry for rich people's pleasure. Indifferent letters 2:12

“And how are we doing here?” She asked.
“Fine aren’t we?”
And the boy made his best to look hopeless victim, Gollevainen grinned his best innocent’s grin and the piglet run away to sniff around Dôn fine silk dress.
“We were just discussing about our lord and savior right here when you entered the room.”
“Oh, were you?”
“Yeas…”
“Well perhaps an outsider like me wouldn’t mind to hear little Word from the holy scripts.”
“Yes!”
And the boy’s victorious cry made Dôn to enter the room properly and sat between them two in the bed. Reko sought immediate cover under Dôn’s feet, sitting on the floor and grinning fiercely towards Gollevainen.

“Mmm…where were we…”

children-jesus-180.jpg

“No, a water-daemon, a mermaid-cross dresser!”Jodokus 4:24-25

“Behold! The story of St. Jesus the Carpenter.
In the year 651 after the birth of the cross shaped fish whose mother had been forgiven the sin of adultery, by his holy delivery of the first bishop of Rome. (Gollevainen wasn't sure if he recalled the details correct but keeping up confidence despite having no idea what he was talking about was one of his good traits)
In that year the Carpenter in the city of Damasks resigned and left the poor citizens without gifted carpenter to repair and renew their furniture. Deep was their tribulations and they wept to the city council for hiring a new carpenter for the job. But the city council was filled with heathen Saracens who see now use of furniture as their customs forbid the stools and kept tables as incarnation of their desert-demons.
Therefore the citizens ride into nearby city of...hmm...(geography wasn't Gollevainen's prime either.) ...Leipzig and they asked whether they could spare a carpenter. And behold! The city of Leipzig was well known of their 12 carpenters.
The Leipzigers took their neighbors words into thinking and when no conclusion was reached, the holy book of the cross-shaped fish was brought up...hmm....the fible? Yes, the fible. And they opened the holy Fible and there it was written: 'The fifth commandment: Thou shall not send your carpenter into a nearby town, as it’s not good to keep similar shaped stools in every hall where the holy breakfast of fish and chips is held to praise the God...and his sacred pet, the cross-shaped fish.'
Therefore the Leipzig could not help the poor people of Damask. So they thought to themselves, where shall we go? Who shall help us? And then the wise man of forgotten name spoke: 'To the east, where sun is different and wild pigeons have gold hidden in their nest. There we shall ask council from the pagan overlords and to send us a carpenter who is not bound by the inscriptions of the holy fible!'
So then they went to the east and find the tent of pagan overlord who weighted their request against his own need of skilled carpenters, and behold! The pagan overlord said: 'We shall held a competition of the most unskilled and poorest carpenter of my reign, and The winner I shall declare surplus and give to your service instead of feeding him for the angry weasels that waits outside my tent....you can hear those whispering my name....'
And the competition was held and the winner was a man named Jesus. He was so shoddy artisan that he couldn't even held the plane straight in his hands. And thought the people of Damask felt dubious, they accepted him as their new carpenter.
In their way back home, huge storm of unnatural origin strike upon them. And in their shaking tent they feared that the death should come and the angry god would strike them down for hiring a pagan carpenter. So they decided to hold the holy breakfast for the glory of the heavens and for that they eat fish and lamp.
But then they got into a theological quarrel as was it not written that the god was rather specific of using table in the holy fish-breakfast? And in the middle of desert sand, they had no tables of what so ever. Then all eyes turned into Jesus the carpenter. And Behold! He worked miracles as he took one bisque and seven carrots and turned them into a table so beautiful that even the desert lizards came to watch it and abandoned their worshiping of Satan and became good cross-believers.”

sxj51j.png

New aar up, quickly contact me for your ingame reward.

The change was palpable.

The concept of majority exists for a reason. There is a magical age, somewhere between fifteen and twenty, when a person stops being a product of their parents and starts coming to their own. This change is especially important in the ruler of a realm, and Tayyib Dhu'l Nun ascension to adulthood, while gradual, signalled change in the fortunes of the former Emirate of Toledo.

The difference between a realm ruled by a single mind and one divided between squabbling advisors is significant indeed. The most profound change because of Tayyib's more forceful approach to rule was felt by the populace of the Emirate of Toledo's central lands, the predominantly Muslim South. The civil war was winding down, and it was in Old Andalus that the fighting stopped first. The nobles stopped warring and started administering, with everybody the happier.

Even Tayyib's personality saw marked changes. Where the boy would erupt in a fit of rage when confronted by a breakaway vassal, the man would react with a collected calm that put the said vassal at ease, allowing for a peaceful solution further down the line. It pleads in Tayyib's favour that such peaceful solutions were found often, even with kaffir counts in the North.

Regarding these kaffirs, Tayyib's approach was mild by Arab standards, but normal by Andalucian standards. Al-Andalus has a long history of religious tolerance: other faiths may be freely practiced in the Iberian peninsula, provided they pay an extra tax. Coming into awareness of this tradition out Tayyib in a mind to make them his, too, thereby becoming more the ruler of Iberia than the ruler of Toledo.

Another more easily pin-pointed change in a man occurs when he is initiated in the secrets of the bedroom. His wife came all the way from faraway Moscow and didn't exactly take to Al-Andalus like a duck to water. The most often heard comments are, in broken Arabic: "can't you people make decent blini? It's meat, meal and water, how hard can it be?", and, "I do not know what you guys are drinking, but it most certainly doesn't taste like a distilled product to me!", and, "You guys keep saying there's plenty of snow. Sure, I can see the peaks of the Sierra Nevada myself, but that isn't snow. That's a light dusting of powdered sugar on a picturebook mountain." Much was invested in keeping her happy. A full year's income of the realm was spent on a lifetime supply of real Moskva vodka.

The results were suitably encouraging, as the new Sultana became pregnant in record time, producing the first ever timely male heir to the Dhu'l Nun line. The effect on the Sultan was not to be diminished, either: his newfound sense of obligation to his offspring extended to the wellbeing of his other subjects, even those of other faiths and ethnicities. They are all part of greater Andalus. It is time for Tayyib to leave Toledo behind; it is time to become the true, righteous ruler of Al-Andalus.

Allahu Akbar!

[remove revolt from badajoz and seville]

Game wise our dynasties are custom creations, the Komnenids for ex exist in both custom Komnenid* and vanilla Komnenid form.

That was what I thought, just confirming. So with regard to the Persian situation, you consider (game wise) 'a different dynasty which ruled the same core territory as mine once controlled this area' to grant you a legitimate claim to the territory?

Doesn't that give KOM a legitimate claim over basically your whole country? :D

So with regard to the Persian situation, you consider (game wise) 'a different dynasty which ruled the same core territory as mine once controlled this area' to grant you a legitimate claim to the territory?

Pfff, such worldly claims are of little concern. The Calipha derives his claim from the will of Allah himself. It is by that authority he rules. Not some silly notion of rights stemming from old maps, for surely such things shall be cleansed from this world as a new world order is ushered in to the ligh and salvation of humanity.

Bah! How am I supposed to partisanly (and no doubt inconsequentially) support the underdog by picking apart your justification for vassal-sniping if you won't keep a consistent justification! :mad:

Damn clever infidels...

Bah! How am I supposed to partisanly (and no doubt inconsequentially) support the underdog by picking apart your justification for vassal-sniping if you won't keep a consistent justification! :mad:

Damn clever infidels...

He's very consistently inconsistent though.

He's very consistently inconsistent though.

Wait what? I have always used the same easy justification process for taking provs:

A) Do I want it?
-Yes--> B
-No--> C

B) Who holds it?
-Friendly player--> C
-Hostile player--> D
-AI--> D

C) Leave it alone

D) Steal! Snipe! Invade!

The rest is aar

Session 18: In which the assassins war over the isles continue

session18.jpg

Probably a few provs wrong here and there..

Continued attempts by KoM to steal the isles of Cyprus/Crete/Rhodes from the Caliphate are yet again foiled by the assassins blade

KoM steals part of Cyprus during a rebellion, but will have to return it after Caliphate archivists dig up some forgotten and generations old agreements of non aggression.

Undeterred, Greek riders are sent out to find somebody else to marry the Duke of Cyprus daughters and inherit the isles in a byzantine plot to then by it from the usurper. Currently the grandson of the king of Poland is set to inherit the 63 year old duke. Will Poland and the Caliphate find an amicable solution to the inheritance, or will yet more blood be spilled in the assassins war over the isles?

Persia snatches a few counts rebelling from my dukes..

A Persian plot to inherit Edessa is foiled by Croatian assassins. Rumor has it the victim laughed himself to death at seeing the grannies sent to kill him. Caliphate gains Esfahan.

Jakalo suffers from connectivity issues. AI W.Rome launches a grand Crusade to reconquer Spain from the moslems! The Caliphate joins its Sultan, fighting heavy engagements around the Italian isles, Tunis and Barcelona.

W.Rome suffers from rebellions.

Denmark irons out borders with Loire, snatches vassals.

Russia slows down rehosts :[

-----------------------------------

But your definition of friendly and hostile will/could (...has?) change(-d)...

When the world changes my reactions to it does as well, yes.

Last edited:
Provinces/Manpower/Gold

Mordor : 167/650.000/1050
Fatimids : 151/460.000/700
Denmark : 105/260.000/400
East Rome : 80/270.000/360
West Rome : 83/210.000/250
Bavaria : 65/180.000/380
Persia : 61/180.000/180
Loire : 53/130.000/180
Croatia : 30/110.000/209
Cordoba : 27/50.000/150
Poland : 19/60.000/114

These are rather old statistics now. However, with the exception of yet another West Roman meltdown (AI-induced?) it seems nothing that vast has changed territorially. Of course, half the world could also have child kings and such and this could still be vastly out of date, but anyway, some numbers:

~2,560,000 player soldiers total
Of which,
Russia fields ~25%
Fatimids field ~18%
Denmark fields ~10%
Roman Empire fields ~10.5%
HRE fields(/fielded) ~8%
Bavaria fields ~7%
Persia fields ~7%
Loire fields ~5%
Croatia fields ~4%
Cordoba fields ~2%
Poland fields ~2%

Of particular note is that when both are in decent shape, Russia and the Fatimids are not that far off from fielding a combined half of the world's military, and that they are each roughly equal or better than 2 of the other larger nations combined. Of course, cooperation is not at all a certain thing. Who knows how vR feels about Frosty's being economical with the truth in convincing him to support his vassal Andalus taking so much territory from West Rome. And you can't say 'who knows' about Frosty's opinion of Russia, given he openly calls it Mordor incarnate :D

If they can get past that, though, the potential strength of such an alliance is intriguing. They don't really seem to have conflicting spheres of interest, and again, together they can potentially field nearly half the soldiers in Europe.

D) Steal! Snipe! Invade!

The rest is aar

I see. I take it you don't apply your earlier arguments of 'over-large land grabs from disadvantaged players ain't OK' to yourself? :D

Of particular note is that when both are in decent shape, Russia and the Fatimids are not that far off from fielding a combined half of the world's military

As you said, those numbers are of, Russia under its god-king was aproaching a million men under arms, but at the start of this session fielded a mere quarter. A number that has surely grown since then. Spain should field a lot more by now, both Byz and Persia now have good kings, increasin their numbers drastically. As for me and Russia, we don't communicate much and generally agree to stay out of eachothers way. I would do something if theres a gangbang intent on reducing him to a count that he cannot possibly defend against, but other than that our spheres of interest are largely separate. (My poking fun is all in good humor;))

And as far as my manpower goes, it won't count for nearly as much when we convert, so most people are happy just leaving me be.

I see. I take it you don't apply your earlier arguments of 'over-large land grabs from disadvantaged players ain't OK' to yourself? :D

To avoid my grabbing your land you need not do much more than 1) not take land I have declared an interest in (nobody at this time holds any such land, in fact I'm looking to give land away) 2) not act in a hostile manner

Persia has declared a third of my land his, do you expect me to sit and wait for him to come? And overly large is, as always, in the eye of the beholder. The person having land taken from his rarely believes it to be just, so the question is if others view it as overly agressive. Persia and Byz are my numeric equals, so there is balance in the region. Difference being I have my back to the maps edge and KoM has angered some europeans.

I'm still not sure why KoM is trying to make me his enemy, defensively allying Persia sure, but by all measures his NAP with me has not exactly been a loosing affair for him...

Last edited:
Indeed, strengh in CK is highly variable and today's military behemoth could be tomorrow's tottering giant very quickly.

A Byzantine/Alexandrian alliance is also intriguing but it doesn't seem there is much possibility to gain for KOM, given the geography, and you hold a lot of territory that used to be his, including his original demesne. Of course I could be wrong.
An NAP on the other side does seem to have been highly beneficial.

Last edited: