• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Wow... 35 pages in an AAR thead, with 10% AAR content and 90% arguing over game mechanics, rules and setup for a game that hasn't even started... Wow.

It'll be the same when they play CK2, trust me ;)

Might I just sneak in and say you all deserve a Lord Strange Cookie.
Your evil machinations, propaganda and back-stabbing prove that strategy gamers might rule the world, but then destroy it within 5 minutes, because the borders look funny.

Also, go Proper Rome!
Down with fake Rome!
Down with Russia!
Up with Denmark!
Down with infidels!
May the world be entirely Greek or Norse!
*throws penuts*

But how about Finland!!

Only twelve years old and already one of the most powerful men alive, Tayyib Dhu'l Nun's childhood was never destined to be a normal one. Thrust to a position of power before having shed any milk teeth, there was no choice for Al-Andalus save to rely on regency and guidance for the young Sultan.

His father may enter the history books as a hero of Iberia, and certainly his diplomatic and military achievements are nothing to be scoffed at, but his family planning policies certainly did leave room for improvement. Fathering a son in his seventy-second year was nothing short of disastrously irresponsible of the old Emir-turned-Sultan, when a perfectly capable heir was in line to take the reins of the young Sultanate.

Even those with delusions of grandeur do not have eternal life; Tayyib never got to know his father, as he was always too busy with matters of state. Until one day the old man inevitably keeled over and the regalia of state were draped on young shoulders.

New states are rarely paragons of stability. Al-Andalus, with its new ruler, war-torn land and ecclesiastically divided populace was no exception to this rule, and the sudden but hardly unexpected death of its architect caused major turmoil: the Sultanate's larger vassals, feeling more like equals of this erstwhile Emirate, shortsightedly rose up in a bid for independence. The Emirate of Badajoz, for example, managed to ravage the countryside of Córdoba and Toledo before being brought to heel. Gothia reappropriated its Castilian lands, ejecting the Duke of Castile who had rightfully switched sides to the Dhu'l Nun cause following the Fiat [note that this reappropriation was not Jakalo's doing, but the AI's].

It was impressed upon the young Sultan that the wellbeing of his realm was paramount: his realm equalled his personal glory. Having that realm descend into chaos and war immediately upon his ascendance to the throne had a major effect upon the young Sultan. In his little voice, he vowed to make everything better and to be a good and pious ruler. The first years have been hard: there were many things impossible to understand for a young boy and many things with great urgency which he felt were his responsibility to address but could not for lack of understanding. This has left Tayyib fretful and insecure, though those traits did help in making the right, rational decisions.

In praise of the men and women around him, the young Sultan is slowly growing into the man who is making this happen. Once Toledo, now Al-Andalus, is knitting itself together again. Vassals are loyal, stability is increasing, the people are not muttering, religious tolerance is gaining ground.
On the diplomatic front, things are good as well. Through the continuous ministrations of Seyfullah the Toulouse, faithful chancellor of Toledo and now Al-Andalus, relations with the great powers of the age have been constant and good, ensuring that the lands agreed upon as Andalusian will end up under the right leadership: that of Tayyib, Sultan of Al-Andalus.

Al-Andalus is facing a bright future.

AAR reward: unstressing Tayyib Dhu'l Nun, the ruler of ARAG
On another note: I won't be here next week, and am looking for someone to take over for me next session (to 'sub'). Any takers?

The Fatimid Caliphate: Hegemony

islamy.jpg

It is the year 1182, and the Fatimid Caliphate is the unrivaled Hegemon of the Mediterranean. I am quite surprised to find myself in the position of the games second most powerful player, as I am by nature a reactive rather than proactive player. So with 1/3 of the CK part of the Great Game III behind us I think we can have a look at where we are, how we got here, and perhaps a peek at the future.

session16.jpg

with Rus and Caliphate going strong, Poland and Cordoba still struggling, and the rest medium powers our game is surprisingly balanced with no permanent major alliances yet formed. As well all know power in ck fluctuates wildly, and can only be represented in snapshot form. So with Russian god-king and underage children on the Bavarian and Cordoban thrones in mind lets look at the stats, with current available mp and maximum possible gold. I give you the Free Powers of the world!

Provinces/Manpower/Gold

Mordor : 167/650.000/1050
Fatimids : 151/460.000/700
Denmark : 105/260.000/400
East Rome : 80/270.000/360
West Rome : 83/210.000/250
Bavaria : 65/180.000/380
Persia : 61/180.000/180
Loire : 53/130.000/180
Croatia : 30/110.000/209
Cordoba : 27/50.000/150
Poland : 19/60.000/114
Pope : 1/2.000/5

Of immediate interest to me are the Mediterranean powers and Persia. Of secondary importance are the Atlantic powers and the ungodly behemoth that is Mordor. Poland has not moved noticeably for a century. Finland and the Pope hardly register at all.

One of the main successes of Fatimid policy is establishing well defined borders. The Caliphate has expended much manpower, land, treasury and diplomatic influence in an attempt to secure its western flank with friendly powers. With the formation of a friendly Spanish player and the control of the Mediterranean islands I finally feel confident of my Maghrebi position, and Oddman is none to displeased by the lands and titles flowing his way for having pledged to me some 50 years back. With the Med as a natural delineation between us mutual cooperation is in the best interest for both of us, especially when the colonizing begins...

The Eastern front however is another matter entirely. With the historical animosity between our realms I was none to happy about the reanimated Byzantine-Persian alliance that fields numbers equal to my own. The troubles started with Persia sniping the quite large duchy of Jerusalem, and then attacking me together with Byzantion. When Persia later fell into rebellion I was quick to regain the provinces lost and then some, but gave back northern Iraq in a fit of mercy. Not quite content I later also offered back some 3-4 of Persias wayward vassals in accordance with our peace-borders, Persia however rejected the borders and demanded an additional 13 provinces be completely handed over to him. In response I decided to keep my Persian holdings. Byzantium then decided to bash poor little Croatia, figuring he needed to be taken down a peg I annexed the remainder of the Syrian coast and the east Med islands.
With upcoming vassal trouble I signed a NAP with a much reduced Byzantion, counting on others to keep Croatia safe. Persia, instead of pleading for my previous offers of peaceful return of vassals, opted for a military strategy of annexing vassals of my vassals that broke free. The strategy was met with bad luck and failure as his attempts were repulsed and the Archbishopric of Mosul was sniped in retaliation. Meanwhile Byzantium attempts to steal my islands through third party assassination, allowing him to charade as innocent by the terms of our NAP. With the NAP protecting his back he also bashes Croatia and vassal snipes his way up the Italian boot, increasing the power of this hostile power considerably.

The two other friendly players on the Med, Croatia and West Rome (or Germany), have both had hard times recently. Croatia I helped bail out from the initial attacks by Byzantion, but haven't had much interaction with since. Presumably hungry for both revenge on KoM and getting those Russian provs to its east Croatia is expected to grow sooner or later. West Rome has been a friend of the Caliphate since its early days of strengthening me with Tunis in an attempt to weaken KoM. Much like with Cordoba the Med makes of a good delineation and secure flank. It is under new management by Jakalo who, while of to a rocky start due to the Italian isles, I believe I can get along with rather well.
Recently I and Mordor had to threaten the medium powers with doom and fire lest they rip the former great power to shreds. Some players, including Jakalo, believed it to be a bluff. Something I perhaps am to new to the mp scene to quite grasp, I am perhaps simply not sufficiently adept at bluffing. Misdirections, plotting and subterfuge sure. But the risk of getting caught bluffing on that scale would have been far more damaging to the perception of the Caliphates resolve than throwing everything at them and failing. It is prudent to to play the cards you have, I see no benefit in claiming you have any more or less, regardless of whatever some wrinkly old Chinese geezer may tell you.
The more recent loss of half of Italy to the East Romans is more troubling as the previously safe west med is opened up and Jakalos ability to fend of any Atlantic powers is troubling. I expect some backlash from him and Croatia to materialize when his realm has stabilized and backs have been secured.

The rest of the Atlantic powers meanwhile worry about the bloating Bavaria. It will be interesting to see how the European powerplays pan out. I am content so long as no new powers appear on the Med coastline. Bavaria on the Adriatic is a possible problem, we'll have to see if they intend to say.

Poland has after much inaction received a new player in Emperor Ike, but his realm is far to small for independent action. If action is ever taken against the Rus expect him to be the main benefactor. Until then he can spend his days trying to snipe the rest of Bohemia from Bavaria.

And lastly we have Russia, also known as Mordor, R'lyeh, Korriban, Mt. Crumpit. Von Roundstedt, not happy with being relegated to mere great power status, decided to jump all that boring slow growth and went directly for Soviet Union. With a nation needing 2/3 of the games players to take down, and to big to get away with any more growth, people have settled into a waiting game. Being to far away for me to have anything to gain from fighting him my main worry is my hostile neighbors gaining at his expense and then turning on me, and more long term the prospect of a super-Russia in EUIII. When he will be able to easily project that power past the Golden Horn. Unless vR goes for a early WC I expect it to collapse on itself and lose its more remote lands eventually, we shall see who reaps the benefits.

As for me I had expected to make by as a small medium power stretching from Damascus to Tunis, pleading for larger players to save my butt from Greeks, Persians and Sicilians. But Allah has smiled upon his faithful and my current position looks good and solid. I intend to maintain my hold on Africa and the Islands, while pushing back incursions from Greeks and Persians. The colonial Game come EUIII will be interesting, as I do not want to become a exclusively African player, but on the flipside can hardly allow hostile players to lay their grubby hands on its gold filled underbelly.

(Or you know, I could just ally with vR and take Rome, Baghdad and Constantinople, time will tell.)

Last edited:
What? Struggling? More like spreading her wings Polaria is. And i am better than the Pope so I'm on the right tracks.

note that the current grand-duke is 2 years old and have stats around 2, and has all his advisors stats around 2 :(
But Finland will rise again!!
Also, in next session I predict that we are back in the assasination business so contracts are again taken...

note that the current grand-duke is 2 years old and have stats around 2, and has all his advisors stats around 2 :(
But Finland will rise again!!
Also, in next session I predict that we are back in the assasination business so contracts are again taken...

When did you begin a dealer of death? Well young Grand-Dukes tend to grow to be excelent statesmen.

About first time I went broke...
...well first time when I went broke after I had allready went broke and pegged Fasquardon to help me monetarily like seven times...
then he asked something for return :D
And I didn't get cougth...
norm_devil.gif

If the current Duke is two, then he won't be more than twelve at the end of the next session even if we have an unprecedentedly trouble-free one. That seems young to be dealing in assassinations. Perhaps some ideas are seeping over the Norwegian border?

2hgstpi.png

My webcomic continues, KoM assures me if I keep these going I can keep Rasputin alive.

edit: decided to have a more censored version just incase it infringed on the moderators religious policies.

The original is up on Ederon.

Last edited:
If the current Duke is two, then he won't be more than twelve at the end of the next session even if we have an unprecedentedly trouble-free one. That seems young to be dealing in assassinations. Perhaps some ideas are seeping over the Norwegian border?

The young prince is also in desperate need of money and our liege is definetly not paying our depths as smoothly as they used to :D

FrozenWall said:
"The rest of the Atlantic powers meanwhile worry about the bloating Bavaria."

"Until then he can spend his days trying to snipe the rest of Bohemia from Bavaria."

Bavaria doesn’t fancy you trying to incite her neighbours against her, thank you very much.

FrozenWall said:
I am unfairly accused of hypocrisy for sniping other peoples vassals when I bashed Fivoin for doing the same.
...bloating Bavaria.

Unfairly, you say? And bloating? Surely, you jest? A quick comparison of the current situation and the situation at the signing of the Treaty of Milan are as follows with Bavarian gained land in striped orange and Egyptian gains in a striped yellow:
session16.jpg

There is a slight difference in land gained by vassal sniping, hmm? Especially so since Bavaria gained that land through events not under her control and is returning all of the land that changed hands to her since the treaty of Milan was signed.
Upon further examination we see that the yellow territory consists of 34 base tax, 32 of which used to be Persian. I haven’t counted how much Persia had before the snipe but I estimate it to be at least a 1/5 of its total worth. Furthermore, this is not the first time Egypt expands on Persias expense in this manner and to this extent.
I’m not saying that the Calipha has to justify his actions to the rest of the world; he is a sovereign monarch after all. I’m just saying that white knight charades are best performed while not clad in black armour.

Bavaria doesn’t fancy you trying to incite her neighbors against her, thank you very much.
Unfairly, you say? And bloating? Surely, you jest?
The word bloating is not mine, but rather that of more than one of your neighbors. I am simply describing the current climate in northern europe as I see it. The W.Rome-Loire-Denmark alliance is not my doing, I assure you.

A quick comparison of the current situation and the situation at the signing of the Treaty of Milan are as follows with Bavarian gained land in striped orange and Egyptian gains in a striped yellow:

I note the Bavarian lords decided on a cutoff date that conveniently does not stripe the half of the Bavarian realm that previously belonged to W.Rome... And even with that cutoff date some 40% of the Iraqi lands were already mine. Sardinia has been dealt with diplomatically.

[Bavaria] is returning all of the land that changed hands to her since the treaty of Milan was signed.

In this we are pleased
Furthermore, this is not the first time Egypt expands on Persias expense in this manner and to this extent.

I note however all land grabs have been preceded by significant Persian aggression against Fatimid territorial integrity. In the time preceding the acquisition of the archbishopric of Mosul Persia had not once, but twice attacked Fatimid vassals. Despite Fatimid offers of free return of an area larger than the striped areas against a NAP Persia has continually rejected peace at anything less than the Caliphate retreating to a thin strip along the coast. Since Persia insists on ongoing aggression the Caliphate
has no choice but to weaken its adversary. Take note that for decades the Caliphate has had good relations with all its neighbors save Byzantium who it has an ongoing NAP with, yet has not used its military superiority against Persia unless provoked. I am as previously stated a reactionary player.

I’m just saying that white knight charades are best performed while not clad in black armor.

I have never claimed to be a knight of any sort of color. I do however act in accordance to a code of sorts. Look at Oddman and Fasq, both of whom had given significant help to me when I was weak, they are now receiving significant backing when I am strong. Look then at KoM and Foels, both of whom warred on me when I was weak, they are now receiving a drubbing every time they try anything sneaky. This is not in itself a morally superior play style, it is simply a logically predictable mindset of cause and effect.

I note however all land grabs have been preceded by significant Persian aggression against Fatimid territorial integrity. In the time preceding the acquisition of the archbishopric of Mosul Persia had not once, but twice attacked Fatimid vassals. Despite Fatimid offers of free return of an area larger than the striped areas against a NAP Persia has continually rejected peace at anything less than the Caliphate retreating to a thin strip along the coast. Since Persia insists on ongoing aggression the Caliphate
has no choice but to weaken its adversary. Take note that for decades the Caliphate has had good relations with all its neighbors save Byzantium who it has an ongoing NAP with, yet has not used its military superiority against Persia unless provoked. I am as previously stated a reactionary player.

Reactionary. Pah! You have continually and dishonorably stolen land from me without provocation while i am wrecked by AI-induced instability. The so called offer of "free return", involved me giving up ancestral Abbasid claims to the Duchy of Jerusalem, something that was not tolerable considering that manner in which it was stolen. That place saw Persian rule long before the any Fatimid ever set foot there.

Reactionary. Pah! You have continually and dishonorably stolen land from me without provocation while i am wrecked by AI-induced instability. The so called offer of "free return", involved me giving up ancestral Abbasid claims to the Duchy of Jerusalem, something that was not tolerable considering that manner in which it was stolen. That place saw Persian rule long before the any Fatimid ever set foot there.

You mean... like Persia snatched half of Russia when it was wrecked by AI-induced instability?

That place saw Persian rule long before the any Fatimid ever set foot there.

Pshaw, it was part of the Fatimid realm at game start and my ally when you attacked it. You do not consider annexing my allies provoking then? It was saved from Abbasid occupation!

Breaking news! An Polarian scientists has read the future from the bottom of an Vodka bottle and the future looks like the following. No specific date couldn't be retrieved from the scientist as he was so 'shocked' by his discovery but we were able to draw an picture based on what he said.

session16.jpg