• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
well Jakalo has expressed his intress and he has my support for new Perm.

I would prefer a perm who doesn't have to reboot on every rehost, but oh well. Anyway, Fasquardon isn't dead yet.

I would prefer a perm who doesn't have to reboot on every rehost, but oh well. Anyway, Fasquardon isn't dead yet.

I would prefer game that doesnt crashes but alas one cannot get everything he yearns.

But if is to to be I will make effort to install CK on my desktop, hopefully that will solve this issue completely.

So Jakalo, supposing hypothetically that you were to take over Germany, can we have your opinion on the peace negotiations? It is understood, of course, that it's all moot if Fasquardon returns in glory and fire to separate the righteous from the wicked. To help you out, the demands as I understand them:

• Rome demands the title Emperor of Romania, ie the BYZA tag, and recognition of my sphere of interest in southern Italy.
  • France demands Brittany and a province or two along the Loire.
  • Denmark demands Brandenburg and a one-province county in England.
  • Lotharingia demands border adjustments giving Gothia back MJER, but compensating Lotharingia with most of the Germn-culture provinces.
  • Toledo demands most of Iberia.
  • Russia and Egypt, the Fiat powers, accept most of the above demands; however, they insist that Lotharingia's gains are much reduced, and Russia has entered separate negotiations with me concerning the fate of southern Italy - in essence, he doesn't want me to have it; however, he doesn't particularly want Gothia to have it either.

Completely changing the subject, I've been looking a bit into the combat model. I'm beginning to think that technology is not completely unimportant. Here is my method: I set up a test save with 61 battles in it, between French and German units of 100 knights each. No leaders anywhere; both sides have level 1 chainmail and no other tech. Then I let the game run until the battles are over, save the game, and count the survivors in the savegame. Then give the French better chainmail, and repeat. Here are the results, with the x axis being the French advantage in defense:

Code:
        0     2     4     6  
FRAN  5467  5712  5678  5750
GERM  5548  5443  5445  5525

Some fluctuations, obviously, but on the whole the French casualties are going down while the German ones are staying the same. In a drawn-out war of attrition, this sort of differential would matter.

However, if you want to win battles, as opposed to inflicting casualties, Martial skill is the way to go. Leaders make an amazing difference to the morale damage.

Completely changing the subject, I've been looking a bit into the combat model. I'm beginning to think that technology is not completely unimportant. Here is my method: I set up a test save with 61 battles in it, between French and German units of 100 knights each. No leaders anywhere; both sides have level 1 chainmail and no other tech. Then I let the game run until the battles are over, save the game, and count the survivors in the savegame. Then give the French better chainmail, and repeat. Here are the results, with the x axis being the French advantage in defense:

Code:
        0     2     4     6  
FRAN  5467  5712  5678  5750
GERM  5548  5443  5445  5525

Some fluctuations, obviously, but on the whole the French casualties are going down while the German ones are staying the same. In a drawn-out war of attrition, this sort of differential would matter.

However, if you want to win battles, as opposed to inflicting casualties, Martial skill is the way to go. Leaders make an amazing difference to the morale damage.

It would be bizzare if it doesnt matter (however nice to see it confirmed), another mater is composition of armies influence on outcome of the battles, I remember Kanitatlan trying to find out optimal power distribution in a province to find most hard hitting army. He didnt succed AFAIK.

As for peace negotiations I wouldnt want to plan anything till fasq`s leave is certain.

Im not sure, but it seemed like I lost half of my regiment's strength to attrition before most even reached battles.

It would be bizzare if it doesnt matter (however nice to see it confirmed), another matter is composition of armies influence on outcome of the battles, I remember Kanitatlan trying to find out optimal power distribution in a province to find most hard hitting army. He didnt succed AFAIK.

Well, the core of the game was done by Snowball, remember. For any given part of the engine, unless you can actually see it working, there's at least the possibility that he didn't get arond to implementing it; and even if he did, there's a strong possibility that it isn't very balanced. Indeed, Martial skill versus tech is a case in point.

Army composition would be very difficult, because the optimal one probably changes with tech; there are several techs that give bonuses such as "Pikemen vs knights + 30%". (Although, of course, who knows whether that works or not?) Also, there are so many possible army compositions to test, and the strong possibility of a rock-paper-scissors design, eg pikemen beat knights, knights beat archers, archers beat pikemen. And, of course, you only have so much influence on your army composition anyway, since you can only move the power levels in your own demesne and there are bad events for extreme distributions.

Im not sure, but it seemed like I lost half of my regiment's strength to attrition before most even reached battles.

I would claim the most important factor in ck warfare apart form economics is the players ability to maneuver his armies to avoid attrition and create local numerical superiority. Composition and tech is thrumped by throwing 1000 more men into a battle.

CK warfigthing mechanisms and I have never really triumphed together. Thougth I've also not customed on the "huge" armies that Germany could pour out (despite beeing really small compared to more favorable situation).

Well, the core of the game was done by Snowball, remember. For any given part of the engine, unless you can actually see it working, there's at least the possibility that he didn't get arond to implementing it; and even if he did, there's a strong possibility that it isn't very balanced. Indeed, Martial skill versus tech is a case in point.
(Although, of course, who knows whether that works or not?)

Why are we playing this game again?
:)