• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Great AAR.

Do you by chance know values of commander martial skills?

Or is it just defenders advantage?

I believe both sides had adjusted Martial skill of 23. So it comes down to my own strategic acumen in defending a hill province against Croatian attack, and in not running my army by committee - notice I have four commanders with only one a land-holder, as against the Croat mob of a dozen with several equal Counts and no strong overall commander. :nods:

Do all the lesser commanders make much of a difference? I always assumed it was only the overall commander who mattered.

I have no idea. The CK combat system is quite opaque to me. I suspect that, in addition to the advantage of defending, I may have had better technology than the Croatian army, but - dropping out of the realm of propaganda - it's not really the result of superior skill. (As far as I can tell, there isn't much skill involved in CK warfare; it seems to boil down to amassing the largest possible army that won't have terrible attrition losses.) I accepted battle because I had reinforcements coming and thought I could win a war of attrition; the completeness of the Croatian defeat was a bit of a surprise to me. At that stage I was expecting a compromise peace in which I got back Byzantion.

it seems to boil down to amassing the largest possible army that won't have terrible attrition losses.

Omar Bradley would tend to agree

I had a look at the combat techs, and it is at least partly as I suspected. Croatia is about level 2 in most of the fields, while Anatolia and Greece is a 50/50 mix of levels 2 and 3. Still, this doesn't look like a huge advantage.

Rise of the Radomirs
Part 4

“How can you be so happy about losing a war?”

“It’s not about losing a war, Trpimir,” Dmitar explained one evening while moving the war tents even farther away from the invading Bulgarians, “It’s about what we have learned. Up to now, we Croatians haven’t used an army. We’ve either grabbed land, had it given to us, or been fleeing from surprise attacks. This is our first true battle, and it has taught us many things.

“You saw how our armies fought in the first year of the war. They were glorious. They occupied every piece of land all the way to Constantinople. It was not until the enemy gained reinforcements from the east that they even started to think about pushing us back. And that is what it has taught us. Winning the war is all about numerical superiority. Whichever side has that will come out on top. It doesn’t matter whether we surprise them, they surprise us, or we tell each other a year before the war starts. It boils down to simple numbers.”

“Sir, what about strategy, or the armor we wear?”

“Those things help, and strategy certainly helps win a war, but you can’t win if your enemy outnumbers you 3 to 1. This is something some people never grasp. They think that little thoughts and numbers will help them win, but it’s only the big numbers that matter.”

“Sir… I hope you know what you’re talking about…”

Whether Dmitar’s revelation was true or not, it was told as the truth. He began using the expert messengers, storytellers, and gossipers his father used in his middle-years as king to spread the word. “We might’ve lost, but what we’ve learned is invaluable.” “We’ve come back from worse, and this time we have information.” “We are beaten for now, but Croatia is no longer the idiot nation who is stumbling around in it’s new-found power.”

Croatia after losing the war:

Croatia%20After%20Second%20War.gif

Croatia after the Duke of Erstogozm exchange:

Croatia%20After%20Duke%20Exchange.gif

Mupdate session 13!

session13.jpg

Byzantion takes some of Naples! Threatens Pope! :eek:

Oddman returns and takes control of Toledo! :D

The Empire fails to get nicer borders! :mad:

Half the Caliphates Emirs are replaced by Fatimids! :D

Finns assassinate people everywhere! Including a Fatimid! :mad:
But are protected by Russ! :eek:

russmp.jpg

We dare not confront their numeric superiority :(

Last edited:
Mupdate session 13!

Byzantion takes some of Naples! Threatens Pope! :eek:

Oddman returns and takes control of Toledo! :D

The Empire fails to get nicer borders! :mad:

Half the Caliphates Emirs are replaced by Fatimids! :D

Finns assassinate people everywhere! Including a Fatimid! :mad:
But are protected by Russ! :eek:

We dare not confront their numeric superiority :(

No mention of the 7 year long Second Croatian Civil War?

Also, I think I'm going to start invoking the Second Treaty of Bosnia...

No mention of the 7 year long Second Croatian Civil War?

Also, I think I'm going to start invoking the Second Treaty of Bosnia...

Ah, yes. With my contractual obligation to keep out of the Balkans I paid little attention to what goes on there. ;)

Whats this Bosnian treaty? :eek:

Ah, yes. With my contractual obligation to keep out of the Balkans I paid little attention to what goes on there. ;)

Whats this Bosnian treaty? :eek:
Ah yes, we never posted it here:

Second Treaty of Bosnia

(...)

Secondly, should the vassals of the King of Croatia or Emperor of Rome choose to rebel, defect or their lands be inherited out of their liege's realm, insuchwise that the other King shall obtain their fealty or their lands, they shall be obligated, through their love of our lord, the savior and through fear of their immortal soul, to return the loyalty of the vassal or lands so recently gained to the King from which they have so recently rebelled.

(...)

------------------

Depending on how the whole "Lothringia inherits a quarter of Germany" thing works out, the STB will need to be invoked to give me a couple provinces up north back.

Looking at DG: The Radomirs have the 5th highest level of prestige in the world, the Radomir dynasty holds the 4th most titles of any other single dynasty, and the Radomirs are the 12th most pious in the world.

all allegations of assasinations are pure propaganda.
Fatimids that died in Finnish court died in natural couses...;)

Looking at DG: The Radomirs have the 5th highest level of prestige in the world, the Radomir dynasty holds the 4th most titles of any other single dynasty, and the Radomirs are the 12th most pious in the world.

Where do you count titles?

Also; despite an assassination campaign the de Toulouse dynasty number 257 members! Rurikovich only 28! :eek: de Flandre and Dhu'l-Nun (Toledo) 9 and 8 respectively! :eek::eek:

all allegations of assasinations are pure propaganda.

The fact that we have proof that de Toulouses were getting assassinated in Egypt by Bulgarians and in Italy by Finns, in conjunction with you openly offering your assassainatory services to the highest bidder, indicate to me a coordinated campaign. Also if you look at the DG score sheets you will see that the other dynasties have roughly half of their game-total number still alive, while de Toulouse have notably less...

Last edited:
we didn't kill anybody!!!!!

Ps, hows the Dôn's doing in DG?

Last edited:
Where do you count titles?

Also; despite an assassination campaign the de Toulouse dynasty number 257 members! Rurikovich only 28! :eek: de Flandre and Dhu'l-Nun (Toledo) 9 and 8 respectively! :eek::eek:

I'm pretty sure that's a record for the Rurikovichs... I've bred a lot last session.

And since Fasq didn't start with only 2 males to found a dynasty (like anyone else) it isn't suprising that his dynasty is that much larger.

The data spreadsheet page. "Status" counts how many titles the dynasty holds.

Nah, it scores different titles differently, it doesn't count the actual number of title holders.

On a sidenote the Ynglings are going strong in Norway with 73 members! Dun,dun! :D

Nah, it scores different titles differently, it doesn't count the actual number of title holders.

On a sidenote the Ynglings are going strong in Norway with 73 members! Dun,dun! :D

Ynglings? Where, did someone mentioned Ynglings....
Son, fetch me my broadsword...I thinke there are dark sails approaching...
:rolleyes::rolleyes: