• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
could we at least once keep the actuall game discussion OUT of the AAR thread?

A fine session all in all, 6 players (+ Blayne) of 12 present. Here's a teaser pic of the end of 1077 while you wait for the aars :D

session1.jpg

Players in darker, vassals in bright, some of us are independent, note KoM yoinking Naples

Steps echoed in the halls of Isbiliyan Library.

Maciej sighed. Centre of culture and knowledge? Nobody ventured here, unless they intended to bother him. Still, the book choice was better than anywhere in the Christendom. Better... but not the best.

The steps fell silent. Maciej put off De Anima, carefully marking in memory the interrupted fragment. He couldn't see the face of his guest in dim light of a burnt-out candle, but it didn't bother him. There was only one person he could expect this time of the night.

- Father?
Work, again - he thought. Tomorrow, or maybe the day after, he might even find some spare time for his "additional duties".
- Yes, my child?
- The Jewish merchant is here. He said that he can't risk not leaving at dawn, and asked Your Reverence to hurry.
Maciej sighed. No postponing this time.

Spare parchment was a gift from local apothecary, for help in herb research. The quill originally belonged to head scribe, currently on Hajj. Ink was evenly distributed amongst Madrasa students. If not for the requirement, that he signs every report with his own name, he would be untraceable. Even kings can be fools, when it comes to covert actions.

"To the Most Catholic and Pious Sancho Jimenez", he addressed, "King of Galicia, Duke of Castille, Count of Burgos and Rioja, Rightful Owner of Duchies of Sevilla, Toledo, Valencia and Cordoba. Your Highness, the heathens are splintered. Recent actions of Emir of Molina haven't brought him many friends. Several muslim rulers are plotting against him. If Your Highness acts fast, while he is isolated diplomatically, the county of Molina will be liberated for the Christendom. Alcazar in Molina is quite well defended, but the granary storage is almost empty. Striking before the harvest will ensure success in this campaign. Additionally, some guards have been persuaded that Your Highness' reign will be better for their financial well-being. Thus, eastern tower is going to be unguarded on the day of St. Brigide. Once more, I am eternally grateful for sending me here, deep in the moorish lands, to serve God the best I can. The fact that I am currently stationed in Sevilla, and not Cordoba as I previously wished, makes me joyous, since I am able to serve Your Highness' interests better.

May Your Highness walk in the grace of Our Lord, Jesus Christ.

Your Highness' humble servant,
Maciej Rogwolszcz"

Better to have it done sooner, he thought. At least he won't be interrupted again for few days. The stolen quill danced again on a blank parchment.

"In the name of Allah, the Compassionate, the Merciful. To the Second Only to the Prophet on Earth, Ali Amir from the ancient dynasty of al-Akmarzibs, Emir of Isbiliya, Qadis, Lebla and Aracena, True Heir of the Haifa of Qurtuba, Rightful Claimant to all al-Andalus. The infidels are planning to conquer northermost regions of Toledo. Barren lands of Molina won't be of much use to them, and the military losses they are likely to suffer will reduce their activity in region for several years. Our smear campaign in the Duchy of Porto was a success, more and more vassals of current duke believe that his recent action are a sign of progressing madness. Count of Coimbra is willing to consider our offer. Count of Braganza dismissed our diplomat instantly. Might I remind Your Highness that the count - cursed for his rejection of the Prophet - has no heir? His sudden dissappearance would surely be a noble event in the eyes of Allah. The preparations in Qurtuba are progressing according to the plan. I hope that when the city recognizes Your Higness as it's rightful ruler, Your Highness will remember that certain positions - like the post of High Librarian of Qurtuban University - would function much better with someone new taking the office.

May blessings and favours of Allah, except Whom there is none worthy of worship, be on Your Highness.

Your Highness' humble servant,
Maciej Rogwolszcz"

A handful of sand landed on a second letter, to dry fresh ink. His guest waited patiently.
- Take this letter to the Jew, and this one to emir's head guard. Do not confuse them!
- Yes father. Thank you, father.
- Good. - he hesitated, but added after a short while - May the Lord bless you and keep you.
- Which one, father?
Another moment of silence passed.
- Whichever you wish, my child.

When the steps faded in the distance, Maciej sighed yet again. Kings, emirs, spies and warriors. They were all so wrong! Blinded, foolishly mistaken about what is really important. Why conquer lands, lead in glorious battles, or ponder the nature of God? Luckily, he was able to do something far more meaningful.

Aristotle was waiting.

If I qualify for reward (I can't recall word limits): +1 intrigue for Immortal Maciej.

Excellent AAR Telarias, nice to see activity in Isbiliya even when the Emir "isn't home" :)

The Toulousian Codex:

1066-1077:

My last AAR, the Bagratuniad, was a heavy story AAR. For a change, the Codex will be a pure gameplay AAR.

First, let's talk about goals. Making wish lists is all very well and good. But from my previous MP experience, I'm betting that in the mad scrabble for survival, my actual empire will look very different to any plans I may have. For example, TWBW's Georgia ended up being a far less Russian empire than I had planned, and far more Arabian. So this time I'm not going to make that mistake. There is no plan, except the good of the de Toulouse dynasty.

Analysis of the Toulousian situation:

After seeing off an attack by England with the help of the French crown (kinda surprised me - unusual for the English to take a dislike to someone so far away). I managed to seal an important wedding to a 15 stewardship lass - particularly important since my unedited ruler has far, far less stewardship than do the other players. The ease of vassalisations has done me in good stead. Not as good a stead as the Seljuks, Nubia (which is now one of the great empires of the world, with Muslim Princes from Syria to Spain pledging to them) or even player Pereyaslavl, but alot better than I was expecting. All in all, not too shabby for the first session.

Speaking of vassalizations, my lovely liege, France, has taken on Barcelona and Brittany as vassals. This growth may be trouble in future, should my liege take exception to me... But it's good if any other players attack me, as I'll have a larger liege to defend me.

Now that we've dealt with me, let's look further afield... The main things going on in the rest of the world are the rise of the Seljuks, and the first Crusade, declared against the Muslims of Alexandria.

Analysis of the Seljuk situation:

The Seljuk Turks, through peerless diplomacy, have forged an empire that stretches from the Indian Ocean to the Arctic Ocean (yes, you read me right _Arctic_ Ocean) with command of an army of some 80,000 men (note that under a player's control, that number could easily double or triple - the AI is no great shakes at military management). Notably, their empire now includes the Khazars, who were the other option I was considering for a starting position. The Khazar rulers have already accepted Islam. RIP Judaism.

But now the Turks have decided to go Elective. This means that the player Abbasid dynasty is within two daggers of the throne! Well... They would be if they had the titles. Unfortunately, they don't. No matter how bloodthirsty the Abbasids are, they won't be able to over take the two Prince title Prince of Mosul. However, this doesn't mean the world can ignore the Turkish succession, because so far we've only considered _current_ Seljuk vassals. Any of the independent players (which means everyone except Toulouse, Antioch, Flanders, Saxony and Silesia) can pledge to the Seljuks, and so long as they have two or more Prince titles to their name, will have a fighting chance at the Empire. Notable contenders will be the Duke of Gwynedd with his 3 titles and the Prince of Pereyaslavl with his 6 (as a side note, this many prince titles also means the good Prince will be making prestige hand over fist, so even non-Seljuk Pereyaslavl will be someone to watch as one of the future great powers of our game).

EDIT: Note that the above paragraph is flawed, because I missed the rather simple maneuver of killing the Seljuk Emperor _first_ allowing Mosul to inherit, and then whoever comes next in line (Abbasids for example) assassinates the former Prince of Mosul/new Seljuk Emperor. This means that theoretically, anyone who can pledge to the Seljuk Empire has a fighting chance of taking the Empire over. Of course, more titles will still give a claimant a leg up in this competition. Kudos to FrozenWall for out-thinking me here.

What to do about this? Well, it depends on unity between all the other players and being able to take concerted action. From previous experience in similar situations, I suspect many players will be more interested in their local concerns. At this stage, all I can say is that I won't be seeking the Seljuk throne myself. I lack the titles to compete with Gwynedd or Pereyaslavl, and besides, I already played a game as the dominant power in the Middle East. I'd like to do something different now.

Analysis of the First Crusade:

Well, I expect this one to not be of much import. Alexandria is now one of the most powerful players, having beaten Egypt up rather handily. Alexandria's income is almost as much as the whole Seljuk empire combined. Considering the distance between Alexandria and Christendom, I expect they'll be able to drive off the Christian armies as they arrive. And of course, if the Alexandrians do run into trouble, they can easily buy mercenaries (other players) and assassins to even the odds. What may upset my prediction is if a player joins the Crusade. I can tell you now though, it won't be Toulouse. I have enough problems on my plate without poking giants in their shins.

fasquardon

Last edited:
It is my intention to post a proper aar later, but first some game analysis. Since Fasq already has given you the situation in words, I shall give it in pics :D

I play the Glorious Fatimid Caliphate, wedged between KoM's Antioch and whoever is going to be taking over Baghdad. I intend to expand my rule into Jerusalem and Tunis as well as claim the kingdomless cities of Palmyra and Damascus and the islands of Crete, Cyprus and Rhodes.

righteousclaims.png

It has been noted that I, next to Flanders am the richest player at the moment, this is forgetting one simple fact; the other super-provinces have yet to be claimed. When fully formed Italy, Persia and Byzantium will outearn me by quite a bit. Baghdad, Constantinople, Venezia and others are the equal or superior of Alexandria, but have wealthy provinces surrounding it. The Fatimids on the other hand have sand, here is the same map with dirtbowl provinces marked in black. Note that the green ones aren't all goldmines either.... :/

righteousclaimsworthles.png

The Rich provinces just wont make up for it. Which brings us to the next issue.

theturksarecoming.jpg

In yellow, the Turks! Nubians in brown. Alexandria in green. Byzantines in purple. Peryeslvlsvls in red. Abbasids in black and remnants of the old Fatimids in burgundy. :wacko:

AI Turks I can live with, but the abbasids need only assassinate the current king (intr 5) for the emir of Mosul (intr 1!!!) to inherit, when he does he will disperse his titles to several smaller lords. Thus making the Abbasids next in line. I will not accept a realm that large this early in the game, especially not with Baghdad at its center and me as the natural route of expansion.

Solutions involve:
1) Getting elected myself, this will make it very hard for the Baghdad player as he will have nowhere to expand. It will also drag me far away from where I want to play. On the flip side I won't have to worry about crusaders and get real big.

2) getting Peryesvlvslsvl elected, he gets vassals but is to far away to enforce his rule. With the promise of noninterference he might be persuaded to surrender the k of persia title to some persian AI and leave his transcaucasian vassals to the crows. He gets kingtitle and vassals, the rest of us carry on as usual.

3) The Abbasids are allowed to get elected and bribe neighbors with some titles. Everybody wins, but the Abbasids win more.

4) The earliest gangbang in CK MP history :eek:

If anybody wants to see something special just ask :)

Last edited:
the abbasids need only assassinate the current king (intr 5) for the emir of Mosul (intr 1!!!) to inherit

Oh! I missed this wheeze. That means any of us can inherit Seljukia... Those of us who can pledge at least. I'll have to update my AAR.

fasquardon

As a point of interest, I myself am completely disloyal to the Empire of Byzantium, and can pledge to anyone I like. However, I only just got my existing vassals under control by conceding Feudal Contract; trying to rule the Seljuks with a 6-year-old foreigner is, I think, not a project to relish.

As a point of interest, I myself am completely disloyal to the Empire of Byzantium, and can pledge to anyone I like. However, I only just got my existing vassals under control by conceding Feudal Contract; trying to rule the Seljuks with a 6-year-old foreigner is, I think, not a project to relish.

In any event, whoever gets to inherit will need to be cut down to size. Preferably voluntarily, but by force if need be.

Division of Seljuk Empire, according to the wishes of Lords of Egypt, Antioch and Pereyslavl?
This is medieval ages, not 19th century Realpolitik! :rofl:

Division of Seljuk Empire, according to the wishes of Lords of Egypt, Antioch and Pereyslavl?
This is medieval ages, not 19th century Realpolitik! :rofl:

One of the eastern empires goes elective and you expect everybody and their dog not to throw their hats into the ring. ;) Hopefully the behemoth will collapse under its own weight and rid us of this predicament :eek:o

The Fatimid Caliphate: Resurrection

islamy.jpg

Muhammad smiled as the wind ruffle his hair, the day was finally here. After all the preparations, bribes, strong arming and plotting it was finally here! He had not wanted this at first, he was a modest man trained by the scholars and poets of Alexandria. It was the stuttering coward Mustandir and his heretic brothers who had brought him here, only 2 generations ago the Caliphate had stretched from al-Andalus to Mecca. Ruined, all of it. One by one the emirs and scholars had begun to question if the descendants of the Prophet, peace be upon his name, really had a divine right to rule. Everywhere one turned there was an agent of the apostate abbasid calipha, sowing the lie that one could elect a Caliph from outside the Fatimid bloodline. Mustandir had only looked on as his realm fell to bits, not even a finger did he lift when the charismatic Nubian king convinced half the realm to stop paying taxes and form a defensive alliance against the fool. By the devils, he did not even flinch when the Grand Mullah of Mecca declared no Fatimid could undertake the hajj untill his brother repented from his heretical marriages to 7 wives, declaring he had already gone once!

So it was that Muhammad and his brother Sayeed had moved to consolidate their rule of Alexandria and the delta, declaring they would rule it directly. The cities of Safed and Baalbek as well as the port of Sarqihya had been convinced to join the younger Fatimid branch, Africa and the Levant looked on as Alexandria mustered. Everywhere towns were fortified and banners being raised, the old Fatimids just sat in Cairo, oblivious to the fact that their messengers never returned. And now finally they stood here, facing each other. The new and old, decay and rebirth. It was in Muhammads mind a formality, Cairo for all its wealth could not raise an army to match Alexandria. The crisp emerald banners of the delta levies contrasting clearly against the dull green of the Cairo city guards. The only thing that could spoil it was the lack of cavalry, the only horses he had been able to muster had been pulling merchants carts. But that was of no concern, the old Fatimids were quite handily outnumbered. Not to mention outclassed, he looked lovingly at his Sayeedi guard. Strong men armed and armoured with the best equipment money could buy, all descendants by one way or the other to the Prophet, peace be upon his name. Carrying the white banners only allowed the guard of the True Calipha they were not only his personal guard, but also a potent symbol of his claims and a start to the rebuilding of the prestige of the Prophets bloodline.

"Quit dreaming and order the bloody army forward!"

Muhammad looked at his twin brother, straightened in a stately fashion and turned slowly towards him.

"Is that any way to speak to your Caliph?"

"By two minutes brother" Sayeed smiled "Now shall we engage them or do you intend to seize the throne by a staring contest?"

"If you are finished questioning my right to rule you may take command of the merchant cavalry and tempt their heavy horse away from the levies" The Caliph said with the most serious voice he could muster. "I'll lead the center"

"Just don't get yourself killed, I would never survive our mother alone!" Sayeed quipped and turned his horse.

Muhammad watched as their poor excuse for a cavalry force disappeared in a cloud of smoke, said a prayer for them, and turned forward.

"The Line will advance!"

Slowly the the army started to move forward, the well armoured center moving at a brisker pace than the levies to the flanks. With the old Fatimid banners at the opposing center that was where the deciding blow would fall, no sense in wasting the levies. They were untrained after all, despite how professional their gear made them seem. It was the White Guard who he relied upon, sayeedis all, many were veterans of the conflicts in al-Andalus and Sicily. Some were survivors of the lost battle of Aleppo, where the prince of Antioch had been laid low by a well aimed arrow. The arrow had been brought to Alexandria by a Armenian physician who had failed to save the princes life, and now hung from one of the Caliphas banners. A reminder of his duties to his oppressed brothers.

The battle, as predicted, was brief. The Cairan militia gave way as soon as they realized how numerically outmatched they were. Mustandir had fled almost as soon as the lines clashed, and would have to be hunted down in the desert before the Young Fatimids could properly cement their rule. A parade should be held, Muhammad pondered as he congratulated the bloodied troops, and some suitably heroic soldiers rewarded richly to boost morale. He would first solidify his claims, then the Nubians, and the Turks and their Abbasid lapdogs....

"Muhammad!"

The Caliph turned to fast and almost lost his balance

"What? Have you discovered mother got us mixed up and you are the elder one? Shall I give you my cape and diadem now or can I keep it as a souvenir?" He scowled

"Worse!"

"Worse than you having to work?"

"The Christian caliph has declared jihad to retake the holy land!"

"Let the emir of Jerusalem throw himself at my feet and I'll see what I can do"

"Starting with Alexandria!" Sayeed panted

"There is nothing holy here" The Caliph said puzzled

"Gold?"

"Gold is not holy, nor a land. But I see your point, we shall have to return as quickly as possible and strengthen our defenses"

"And buy 'we' you mean?" Sayeed raised an eyebrow

"I will see to the quarries, and you the men" The Caliph retorted

"I shall alert the brothels to to our return" Sayeed said with a deep bow

"We may have to rearrange your face lest the clerics get us confused and start hounding me for your ill deeds" The Caliph spurred his charger to a trot "Secure the surrounding areas, post a loyal guard and then bring the rest to Alexandria!"

Last edited:
Could we have a post of where the immortals and players are?

Strategos of Antioch

Extracts from the play Mikael of Antioch.

(Act I, scene i)

A palace in Antioch. Enter MIKAEL, Strategos of Antioch.

Mikael: I am a citizen of Rome,
and with some other titles
God has seen fit to grace me.
Strategos and Antypathos of the theme of Antioch,
guardian of the western March;
of Senatorial rank, heir to ancient honour.
Trifles all! God sees no title,
but measures the man to his cloak,
requiring much when much is given.
Much has been given me;
I must accomplish greatly.

Exits.

(Act II, scene ix)

A battlefield near Aleppo; enter MIKAEL, PHILIPPOS Count of Tortosa, and several COURTIERS and VASSALS.

Mikael: How goes the fight?
Philippos: God sends the right;
they yield on every front.

Enter a MESSENGER.

Messenger: Infidels, give guidance: I seek Mikael of Antioch.
Mikael: Seek no longer; you have found him.
Messenger: By the will of God are all things accomplished;
my master owns his sins are great,
and you the instrument of his punishment.
He would treat with you for peace.
Philippos, aside: He asks for peace as another
might haughtily demand tribute.
Mikael: I treat with no underling;
your master may come in person,
to give submission unto Rome.
Philippos, aside: Give submission to Antioch,
say just as well;
and yet why should not one city
be as good as another?
This warrants thought.
Messenger: What terms shall I carry?
Mikael: The Emir shall be safe
by my word, in his person;
but Aleppo, that was of old
under Roman rule,
shall return to the Eagles,
or his head shall answer.

Exit all.

(Act III, scene i)

A palace in Antioch. Enter Mikael, carrying a letter, and PHILIPPOS.

Philippos: My lord, what troubles you?
Mikael: My lord troubles me.
The Emperor Dukas has sent me this,
request and requirement,
charging me with all deliberate haste
to come to his aid.
Philippos: Does he not know
the infidel presses our border?
Mikael: The border is near, and Constantinople far;
the infidel is a distant threat.
The Emperor has closer foes:
Epirus and Nikea are risen against his rule.
Philippos: Treason never doth prosper;
for its foes are ever legion.
Mikael: What mean you? Speak plainly.
Philippos: My lord is a righteous man;
I would speak no evil in his presence.
Mikael: It is the duty of a vassal to give good counsel.
Philippos: It is the duty of a lord to give force to law.
Mikael: You shall have no harm from words;
my word upon it.
Philippos: The theme of Antioch
commands a multitude;
whoever it opposes, why,
that man is a traitor.
The Emperor is a craven
who hides behind his walls;
Rome prospers when brave men rule.
Mikael: Rome groans when two men rule.
Philippos: Even now three have taken the field;
'twixt one and two is much ado,
twixt three and four, not much more.
A strong man is needed,
to end rebellion;
a man of proven valour,
crowned by victory on stricken fields
against the wily infidel.
Mikael: Nay! Speak no more.
I am a citizen of Rome;
duty, not glory, shall drive me.
The legion's ordered line
shivers and yields
when men strive for recognition;
let each have his place,
and stand unshakeable in't.
Muster my banners;
we march on Nikea.

Exit Mikael.

Philippos: A loyal Roman, even to his end.
No good awaits us at Nikea field.
Soft, Philippos, it's not your fate
this year to serve an Emperor.
Perchance the next will see advancement.
God favours him that makes his own luck.

Exit.

(Act III, scene viii)

A field of battle near Trebizond. Enter MIKAEL, wounded; a CAPTAIN; and several COURTIERS and VASSALS.

Mikael: How goes the fight?
Captain: The Devil protects his own;
our right flank wavers, our centre yields.
We cannot hold.
Mikael: It shall not be said
that a battle was lost
while a Komnenus could yet take the field.
Plant my banner there,
where the blood flows thickest,
and I shall stand there til evening falls,
or fall, and lie for all evenings to come.
Captain: My lord, you are wounded;
let other men bear the brunt.
Mikael: Nay. I have given the order;
do Romans now disobey
when the enemy's in sight?
Captain: We obey.

(Act III, scene xi)

The battlefield. MIKAEL lies stricken. Enter PHILIPPOS.

Philippos: My lord, is it well?
Mikael: It is very well;
I have done my duty.
Philippos: The day is ours.
Mikael: Then rest, Mikael;
your namesake awaits.
Philippos: What word shall I carry to Antioch?
Mikael: Tell them that Mikael died
as he lived: A citizen of Rome.
And bring the word to my vassals,
bidding them loyally await
my son's majority;
my brother shall rule
until his sixteenth year.
Philippos (bows): I shall give them
your words exactly.
Mikael: Then nothing more
remains to do;
I rest. (Dies)
Philippos: Aye, exactly as will best
suit my purpose.
He would not be Emperor,
it is well;
his son shall have a Republic.

(Act III, scene xiii)

A palace in Antioch. Enter PHILIPPOS, IOHANNES brother of MIKAEL, and sundry COURTIERS and VASSALS.

Iohannes: It is passing strange.
Philippos: It was your brother's will.
Iohannes: Oft he has said to me,
should I fall,
you must stand.
Philippos: And so you shall;
but it is not well
for one man to rule.
Thus when his end was nigh,
he called for his vassals
to give his sons consent
with their advice.
Iohannes: It was my brother's wish;
he has served Rome well.
Let it be so.

Exit all but PHILIPPOS.

Philippos: They are all honourable men.
And yet it falls to me,
a liar born,
to give them power.
Shall Arkadios rule?
By what right?
His father's blood was spilled
on a hundred fields;
who knows but it shall run thin,
and lose the name of glory.
Let the vassals confer,
let the best make names for themselves;
so it was in ancient times,
so it shall be again.
From the many, one;
the sticks break easy,
that together make
a strong fasces.
I could not serve an Emperor,
thus I punished a man:
His son shall not know
the laws he ruled by.
And yet I know not:
Does Philippos lie to punish his master,
or does he serve him where he lies?
An Emperor may be weak;
in a hundred vassals
there must be men of strength.
Perhaps, when all's done,
they will say, of lying Philippos:
He, too, was a citizen of Rome.

Oooh I totally missed that you guys were already into the next round of your millenial struggles. :D

Can I be an immortal? I would like to join the court of FrozenWall, the Fatimid player. :) I want the Muslims to stop the silly crusaders in this game :D