• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
What glorious deeds did the Tsar accomplish while the Caliphas attentions where elsewhere? :)
Besides grabbing a valuable island from an exhausted medium sized country that just finished the biggest war in it´s history and could at that time field a little less than one sixth of the Tsar´s army ?

Probably not much, since there is already so much gloriousness in that.
Not much glory left for the other deeds.

You've been ignoring my friendly overtures, sniping my vassals, and messing up my war with Galicia. Not exactly neighbourly, is it?

fasquardon

What? Sure it is. I didn't mess up your war with Galicia on purpose, though I certainly got involved as he had Chartres, a province that I literally surround. I certainly haven't made a consistent effort to snipe your vassals. As for friendly overtures, I do want to respond! I just haven't seen you on when I am on, or when you message me I am away from my computer or at work. I am not trying to ignore you. Why today after session I took a four hour nap, right in the middle of your message to me.

So I've been counting manpower, and I see my impression of Fasquardon as resident superpower was mistaken - influenced, no doubt, by memories of him playing Georgia, the Great Blob of the Desert with a Thousand Vassals. In fact the so-called 'Roman Empire' is one of a string of roughly-equal powers stretching through central Europe. I see three or four tiers of powers, with only Russia really dominant:

Great Powers:
Russia - 350k
Egypt - 200k

Second-rank powers:
Denmark - 160k
Germany - 150k
'Roman Empire' - 145k (at war, probably a bit higher in reality)

Third-rank powers:
Persia - 105k
Byzantium - 100k
France - 95k

Minor powers:
Galicia - 60k (not played)
Croatia - 50k
Poland - 40k
Naples - 30k (not yet dead! Not played, either.)

Of course manpower is not everything; geography and interior lines count for something too. Denmark's manpower is spread out over Scandinavia and the Isles, nowhere near as readily mobilisable as that of compact Germany. Similarly Russia, although impressive in size, would need to keep an awful lot of Counts in line to bring its full strength to bear, not to mention marching a long way through bad infrastructure if it was attacking anyone. But in defense it is formidable.

Ah, I didn't realise you were at war. That might bump you up to the third rank, then - and a compact, defensible one at that.

I looked at it at the start of this session (or end of last?), and it was only 2xx thousand. He must be in a lot of different wars.

Huh I checked previous saves and it seems that you are right, i must have imagined that :eek:
Although 2xx k seems a bit low for monster of his size.

Perhaps if you had TS so we could communicate with you? I honestly have no idea what the Russian stance is on anything, or what youre up to...

Tell us! What glorious deeds did the Tsar accomplish while the Caliphas attentions where elsewhere? :)

Well Russia is so magnificent that it doesent need to be in TS, it just sends one of his vassals there;)

So you did'nt go with the "demesne only" rule eventually ?

The fact that fasquardon has relatively low manpower compared to his realm size is solely due to his habit to have a huge demesne (100% tax penalty).
With a more conservative vassal setup his manpower would probably be around 350k like Russia´s, but that is just a rough estimate.

@Kuipy: No, such a rule was never in place.

Last edited:
So I've been counting manpower, and I see my impression of Fasquardon as resident superpower was mistaken - influenced, no doubt, by memories of him playing Georgia, the Great Blob of the Desert with a Thousand Vassals.

Mistaken you are not sir, the de Toulousian Emperor is in fact ruling 25 provinces with an intrigue allowing for only 11, he is fielding those numbers with a realm efficiency of 0%! Venezia has a regiment of 2500! This appears to be due to a recent inheritance of his heir, inflated for elective law purposes...

Woe betide the False Emperor when de Toulouse get their house in order! :eek:

Before the inheritance Fasq was fielding atleast as many troops as me.

Also, we should find a proper name for his realm. If we don't stop calling it the "Roman Empire" he'll at some point trick you into allowing him to use the Byzantion title as his primary title, and then we're all doomed! :eek:

Also, we should find a proper name for his realm. If we don't stop calling it the "Roman Empire" he'll at some point trick you into allowing him to use the Byzantion title as his primary title, and then we're all doomed! :eek:

I say we give it to the Guardians of East Rome; the Croats! :D

Haha, I think that as the primary title, it actually gives vassals negative loyalty, so he should take it! :rofl:

Rise of the Radomirs
Part 2

Dmitar and Vukan’s worst fears were soon realized. In the Spring of 1139, shortly after King Teodosii declared war on one of his vassals, a mass uprising was lead against him. The former Duke of Croatia had traveled north into Hungarian lands after Teodosii had taken his title away, and from there he plotted his old friend’s destruction. He arranged for the Duke of Transylvania as well as the Count of Nylstria to attack Teodosii while he was on a campaign.

The early months were horrendous. The King’s forces were outnumbered and being driven back. The fatal flaw of Teodosii’s reign was glowing for all to see. He couldn’t lead an army. He couldn’t fight a battle. He couldn’t win a campaign. By the start of 1140, half of his Kingdom was in revolt. It was then, and only then, that he swallowed his pride and asked his marshals for help.

“Generals, Lieutenants, Sons, you all know why we’re here-”

“Because you’re a self-righteous arrogant mule who realized two years too late that he’s a bumbling idiot when leading warriors?”

“Boleslaw, you are NOT helping!”

“I’m not the one who is only letting his chief marshal in on the planning after two years of failing to accomplish a thing.”

“Oh, for the love- Look, this is not a time that we need to spend bickering about who’s right and who’s wrong. What we need to be doing is figuring a way out of this mess!”

“Alright, alright. Go ahead and make your speech…”

“Thank you… Now, Generals, Lieut- ugh, people, you know what we’re up against. You know that the only way out of it is some brilliant maneuvers, some which have been unable to come to me thus far, but-”

“But what, Father? ‘But I’m a brilliant man so let’s brain-storm and something will come to me’? ‘But life just hasn’t been fair to me recently’?”

“Life is complicated, and sometimes you are left downtrodden, beaten, and searching for help, Dmitar. *That* is what I was going to say.”

“So, a translation for everyone would be: ‘I’m being out-plotted by the man I beat in a war, and now I have to ask the people I see as my pawns to help me.’”

“Do I need to remove you from this meeting, son?”

“No, but you do need to stop acting like you’re in charge and you can do anything. You need our help, stop acting like it pains you to come to us lowly beings.”

Teodosii grumbled silently at his treatment in his own court. He knew his grasp was tenuous at best, but this wasn’t improving matters at all.

“Trpimir, who’s still loyal to the King?” Dmitar asked, taking control of the meeting.

“The remaining Counts in Hungary are still loyal, but the Croatian ones aren’t quite as loyal.”

“Alright, that’s good enough. I can go home, raise my regiments in Rama and Zadar, Boleslaw can go home and do the same. We’ll get the Counts in the north to strike at the enemy’s homeland, and we’ll combine all our forces in the south and take out the enemy armies one by one.”

Teodosii, somehow, still seemed dubious, “Do you really think that’ll work?”

Boleslaw saw the boy was growing up quicker than he remembered, “Yes, it’s work, Teo. All you’ve got to do is stay home.”

“It’s really quite simple, Father, you just have to trust the people you rule.”

Last edited:
The Fatimid Caliphate: The state of things

islamy.jpg

Ah, what a game. After weeks of backfiring inheritances and AI shenanigans I finally got my house in order, taking the Fatimid Caliphate from this:

10statecaliph7.jpg

During session 7, after finally securing the throne, to this:

10statecaliph10.jpg

In session 10. I would happily gloat over my successes, but that will have to wait till the end of the post, first lets look at the other powers.

Power of course fluctuates wildly in CK, depending on kings stats, disease, rebellion,events and monetary policy. As such I will consider potential capability over time, not income and manpower levels at any precise point in time. Further I do not count wars against AI not guaranteed by players as aggression, but peaceful expansion

First the Atlantic Powers;
10statenormand.jpg

The Kingdom of Normandie

Normandie came bloomed late but has managed to become a medium power, they have however not yet managed to clear their home turf from foreigners, most of its growth have been from diplomatic concessions. On the warfare front they have been less successful, failing to save England from Danish aggression or securing much of it for themselves. Future friction over England is expected, with the possible help of Lotharinga, and possible expansion against AI Galicia (N.Spain/SW.France).

During the Caliphates war against the al-Murabits of Spain their allies the Normands demanded the entire Fatimid treasury for a white peace, causing us to lose a fishery and much grumbling in Alexandria.

The Fatimid Caliphate has little diplomatic contact with these northern barbarians, our nations have no common enemies, we do not foresee having to intervene in their affairs to protect our interests, we do not expect hostile actions against us, relations are expected to be cordial.

10statelotharinga.jpg

The Kingdom of Lotharinga

Lotharinga led a successful expansion early game, but was cut of by the Roman Empire. They still hold Switzerland and earlier diplomatic deal point to a willingness to sell south european land of, perhaps they will exchange it for Brandenburg? Lotharinga too battled with Denmark, but to no avail. They hold some Irish land and further friction with Denmark is expected, perhaps seeking to throw them of the Continent?

The Fatimid Caliphate has little diplomatic contact with these northern barbarians, our nations have no common enemies, we do not foresee having to intervene in their affairs to protect our interests, we do not expect hostile actions against us, relations are expected to be cordial.

10statedenmark.jpg

The Kingdom of Denmark, Scandinavia, Scotland, Mercia, Eire and Asturias, Honorary King of Norway

Denmark, Lion of the North, came roaring onto the world stage 2 sessions ago when they managed to seize control of the British isles. Having pushed the Welsh out of the game and survived Lotharingan, Normand and Russian aggression with the mere loss of Gotland they have angered and worried most players on their half of the map. Whispers of strange men coming down from the mountains abound. Denmark holds all the provinces of importance in England, meaning they can field an army strong enough to fight both the other Atlantic powers combined when on the defensive. By the very nature of multiplayer games Denmark more or less has to evict France and Lotharinga from the Isles or face continuous power struggles. But should they succeed the Russians may see this as a chance to expand into Scandinavia from their forward positions in north Sweden and Gotland without angering the other powers to much? Expect serious warfare to break out soon if Denmark doesn't manage to placate the other powers, and even if it does expect war in the near future.

The Fatimid Caliphate has little diplomatic contact with these northern barbarians, our nations have no common enemies, we do not foresee having to intervene in their affairs to protect our interests, we do not expect hostile actions against us, the Calipha is still miffed about getting called a sultan...

The Eastern Powers;
10statepoland.jpg

The Kingdom of Poland

Oh poor Poland, less than even its modern day equivalent it started out aggressively but collapsed under the weight of controlling the entire kingdom as personal demense, briefly annexed by Denmark it will now not be able to do anything without the support of a Great Power. Its only hope of expansion is to be the beneficiary of a great coalition against one of the Colossi, gaining Bohemia from a defeated Rome of the Baltics/Kievan Rus from a Russian gangbang in a balancing of power. However neither one has sufficiently enraged its neighbors as of yet.

10statecroat.jpg

The Kingdom of Croatia and Magyars, Defenders of East Rome

The Croats are new to the Great Game, and right out of the gate the Colossi scrambled to bring them into their sphere of influence, Russia helping them conquer Hungary, Rome countering with giving them the Queen of Cities. Currently sundered Croatia will when the recover from their civil war be an important player in the crossroads of civilizations, standing to gain handsomely from any confrontation between Russia and the Empire. The Fatimids are happy to see the Balkans snatched away from its Greek rivals and intend to protect them from any territorial aggression.

The Fatimid Caliphate has some diplomatic contact with these civilized barbarians, our nations have possible common enemies, we do not foresee having to intervene in their affairs to protect our interests, we do not expect hostile actions against us, relations are expected to be cooperative.

The Asian Powers;
10statebyz.jpg

The False Kingdom of Byzantium, Bulgaria and Rum

The main adversary to my peaceful expansions the Komnenids and the Fatimids have been embroiled in several wars, the first a vicious attack in concert with Persia when my armies disappeared due to a bug when we rehosted costing me Baalbek and Damascus. The second started by a Greek vassal ended with the gain of Aleppo, Edessa, Baalbek and Monreal when KoM refused white peace. Third started with one of my vassals declaring war on his liege and ended with a white peace after some heavy battles. The Fourth was mainly naval action during the confusion of the second Persian war, with the Greeks gaining Crete and I Cyprus, with no battles between us proper. Relations between us remain tense, with the Greeks holding Crete and the Syrian coast and Greeks in the Caliphate face rising persecution. The Thessalonian courts calls for the Fatimids to be destroyed in concert with the Greeks history of belligerence are taken very seriously by Alexandria, even if we would prefer peaceful coexistence

The Fatimid Caliphates diplomatic contact with these debauch barbarians has proved them deceitful, our nations have possible common enemies, we do not foresee having to intervene in their affairs to protect our interests, we expect hostile actions against us, relations are expected to be unfriendly.

Next; Persia, the Empire, the Caliphate and All the Russias!

Last edited: