• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Somewhere in the mountains of Azerbaijan

A decayed hand bursts from the ground beneath your feet clawing dirt and rocks away, and as you recoil in horror, a man's - no, a thing's, although perhaps it may once have been human - face comes into view, gasping forth its first unholy breaths.

It groans, and then, horrifically, words from beyond the grave form on its tattered lips....

"mmmmmuuuuuupdddaaaattteeesssssssssss....."

Somewhere in the mountains of Azerbaijan

A decayed hand bursts from the ground beneath your feet clawing dirt and rocks away, and as you recoil in horror, a man's - no, a thing's, although perhaps it may once have been human - face comes into view, gasping forth its first unholy breaths.

It groans, and then, horrifically, words from beyond the grave form on its tattered lips....

"mmmmmuuuuuupdddaaaattteeesssssssssss....."

All of a sudden the view is filled with bright light which is gone in a flash. A figure can be seen kneeling not far away from the thing that has just muttered something terrible. Slowly the figure stands up and reveals his identity. It is the Time Traveling George Washington who has come to rid the world of undead horrors. He takes out of his old musket and shoots the horrific thing in the head before it can devour on any ones mupdates. Once again the Time Traveling George Washington has saved the world from a certain doom.
tumblr_lk3cg1MO061qcqriwo1_500.jpg

Alright, Croatian mupdate.

The only situation that actually changed is the middle east, so that's where the mupdate will focus.

5511currentsituation.gif

Here's the basic layout of how it currently is. Some of the provinces may be wrong, but that's because I'm doing it from memory. I've changed the colors of Croatia and Al-Andalus to how they actually are in-game.

5511plannedsituation.gif

This is what the aftermath of the current war is planned to be. The areas not colored in are either up for dispute or are for little independent nations. Perhaps a nice little Tilius resort.

well good riddance then :mad:??
Mind you that the 9 gallant ones have suffered this bugfest called CK for almost year now to just to see how greedy ROTWers are demanding more and more and more in every possible thread, be it more buffs to add into their allready godlike buffs or change to screw us who actually has generated their own DG in the auction, nothing is too much for those vultures.

And atop of that they want free ride to westernisation?
Screw 'em. Like Vr said in Ederon, if they want latin border provinces, they ougt to come and get it themselves. westernisation is not free anymore ;)

FYIGM argument?

We've been over this, it was agreed over a year ago rotw would get DG equal to the median of the european dg. If CK was so terrible then why play it? The fact is the DG auction would give you decisions that have massive bonuses when used with the proper synnergies especially when used in nations that arent supposed to be 1PMs.

Every RoTW buff has been Dano's doing and Dano's suggestion based on lessons learned from the last game.

FYIGM argument?

I'm sorry, why is this used as your point at all? There's nothing inherently bad about it.

We've been over this, it was agreed over a year ago rotw would get DG equal to the median of the european dg. If CK was so terrible then why play it? The fact is the DG auction would give you decisions that have massive bonuses when used with the proper synnergies especially when used in nations that arent supposed to be 1PMs.

Yes, we've been over how you massively whine and cry like a little school-girl who's lost her dollie and use massive exaggeration to attempt to prove a point that any dolt with half a brain and see right through.

Now, to the crux of the argument, half of the ROTW is getting bonuses they don't deserve because they did not play CK and/or they suck at the game (their own admission, in this case) and/or they can't interact with other humans.

The rest of the ROTW is getting bonuses because they just now joined the game and the bonuses were already implemented.

FYIGM argument?

Every RoTW buff has been Dano's doing and Dano's suggestion based on lessons learned from the last game.

So??
I play in CK becouse I wasen't banned from participating in it. For me there isen't any great idea to play in Mega-campaing unless I play from the start. And despite its huge flaws, CK has its character...it is in some really strange level a great game.
All I am saying is that those ROTW nations that argued that they should get similar benefits (or more like better than half of the CK roster) in the DG auction (among many other things), should have taken consideration when they did this that it will most likely screw many european nation in some level.
And if they yet failed to grasb that it migth make those players bit annoyed and preparing for counter actions, then they can only blame themselves.

NOW It was agreed couple of weeks ago that the european main colonist will not handle out westernisation before we have full advantage from our latin tech compared to the ROTW...
Deal with it.

Last edited:
NOW It was agreed couple of weeks ago that the european main colonist will not handle out westernisation before we have full advantage from our latin tech compared to the ROTW...
Deal with it.

And thus you just killed alot of ROTW nations.

becouse he things he gets more chicks with that way in saturday evening ;)

I'm sorry, why is this used as your point at all? There's nothing inherently bad about it.

Yes, we've been over how you massively whine and cry like a little school-girl who's lost her dollie and use massive exaggeration to attempt to prove a point that any dolt with half a brain and see right through.

Now, to the crux of the argument, half of the ROTW is getting bonuses they don't deserve because they did not play CK and/or they suck at the game (their own admission, in this case) and/or they can't interact with other humans.

The rest of the ROTW is getting bonuses because they just now joined the game and the bonuses were already implemented.

The rotw are getting bonuses because that was what was agreed to before we started ck, maybe the ck nations in last place should have tried harder.

How the mighty have fallen. KoM, I believe this requires your attention.

Last I checked we weren't playing with Objectivists who think altruism is a dirty word.

Deal with it.

I already signed deals with some europeans who agreed to purchase Macau, they're just giving you lipservice.

As Foels says, conversion arguments in the conversion thread, please. And OY, we have all grasped that Blayne's style of argument annoys you; there's no need to go for the ad homs.

The mupdate is missing the final stronghold of the Komnenoi: Malta is Roman. Even as we speak, contingency plans are being evolved to retreat to this fortress island, to form a fighting order of knights and to punish the infidel by raiding his coasts and his convoys. God Wills It!

By the way, OY, in our original agreement I kept Corfu as well as the Aegean islands. :)

Defiance, part II

May 5th, 1383
Kantara Castle, occupied Melitene Province
Imperium Romaion

"...and so, because the Imperium is unable to maintain order in this province, we request by duty of courtesy, and require by right of conquest, that the fortress gates of Kantara be opened to our men, that bread and salt be provided, and that hostages for good behaviour be given. Fail not in this charge, at your peril." The herald concluded the formal part of his demand for surrender, and lowered his stentorian bellow to a clipped "You have until sundown."

Alexa looked at her court. The men were old, except for the few who were very young; the last levy had taken anyone with so much as a peach-fuzz on his cheeks, or a faint hint of black among the grey. None of them met her eye, presumably because none wanted to be the one to say what was obvious: What choice did they have but to surrender? She herself felt the pull of that conclusion, inevitable as a rock falling. But there was that within her which screamed in primal protest, and she could not bring herself to say the words. A deep anger built in her; how dare the Persians come onto her land, how dare they demand that she open her gates? And hostages... her son, David, to be at the mercy of any peasant with a grudge against the occupiers? And yet, what other options were there?

Finally one of the women spoke. Deirdre was some sort of cousin to Alexa, a Phokas by birth, and married to some sort of cousin of Basil; another link in the labyrinthine dynastic schemes of the Komnenoi. "The walls of Kantara are strong," she said experimentally.

"That's true," Alexa said, feeling encouraged; she hadn't wanted to be the unreasonable one, but if Deirdre started it... "And we have food, water - even weapons and armour."

"Weapons and armour, and walls, but no men!"

Alexa looked thoughtfully at old Eusebio. He had fought in the wars against Croatia and Russia; he knew about sieges, and he was well respected. It would not do to try simply to override him. "No men suited to long marches, perhaps," she said instead. "But for garrison duty, standing on a wall and heaving rocks at Persians? We have men for that, I think; age steals endurance, but it cannot steal experience and skill."

Eusebio looked much struck by this flattery, and thoughtful, as did his comrades. But he shook his head slowly. "My lady" - and there was respect in his tone now, not the curt dismissal of before - "I am sorry to be the voice of unpleasant necessity. But consider: If we close the gates, and the Persians lose men coming over the wall, they will not be gentle. They won't ask for hostages. They will kill every woman and child within the walls; kill, and - ah - worse. I've do - I've seen it happen, in Croatia. It's not easy to control soldiers who have seen comrades killed; and the Persians won't even try. Why should they, if we defy them? You, hmm. My lady... you have lived a sheltered life. If they have to come over our walls, you won't be treated as a noble lady. It's - not a good way to die; or to live, if you should be so lucky. Or unlucky."

Alexa nodded. "Yes, I know," she said softly. "I am a Roman, and I have a good sharp knife." She gestured to her left wrist. "Lengthwise, not crosswise; I won't be taken alive."

Eusebio looked her in the eye, searchingly; she looked back steadily. "Aye," he said at length. "I believe you would, my lady; although it is always easier to live and hope, even for a few more minutes, than to decide that now is the end. And then it is so often too late, and it is the end after all, only worse... but I believe you. You have the steel in you to make that choice. But can you make it for everyone here? What of your son, David? The Persians will let him live, as a hostage in their court at Baghdad; they will even give him land, somewhere, when he comes of age. Reduced wealth, lessened power, but wealth and power still; and life."

Alexa looked down; that struck close to the bone. But she replied evenly, "If I thought it were truly hopeless, that what you speak of were really inevitable, then no. I would not choose death, either for me or David, or for anyone. But we speak of war, Eusebio; not of the workings of fate. Kantara is a strong fortress; it has stood siege before, once for six years. Melitene is a border province, its fall does not herald disaster; the Eagles will gather strength in the core of the Empire, and return. Can we not hold until they do? It is a risk, true. I would not choose so as to make death inevitable; that is sin, and hopeless. But to take a risk of death, in a good cause; soldiers and mothers alike do that."

Eusebio shrugged, fatalistically. "Well. You are right, perhaps; the Eagles may come. And all men are initiates in the mystery of death." He straightened. "Close the gates, my lady; and give me a sword. I'll hold the walls for you, while there's breath in me."

Alexa looked around; nobody looked truly happy with the decision, but nobody spoke against it. They were all Romans, all of good families if not of senatorial rank; they had all been raised on stories of holding desperate positions against masses of barbarians, and of the Eagles arriving at the last minute to save the day. None of them would be the first to argue for surrender. "Open the armouries," she ordered briskly, "and organise a watch schedule. Men to the walls, as fast as they can be armed; women too, if they can handle a crossbow. And children, if they can load. And anyone who feels like it can take their chance with the Persians. Kantara holds."

And OY, we have all grasped that Blayne's style of argument annoys you; there's no need to go for the ad homs.

I haven't even gotten to the Canadian ones yet! :(

By the way, OY, in our original agreement I kept Corfu as well as the Aegean islands. :)

I don't give a flip about the Aegean islands, but as you may have noticed, all agreements were summarily executed and their heads placed on stakes. I'm not too thrilled about it all, but this is how it's going to be.

Well, I suppose it is fairly unlikely that Foelsgaard will choose this moment to announce that he supports my claim and will fight Croatia for it, so let it pass. Vae victis.

The State of the World, 1387 AD

The State Of the World, according to, like, totally impartial Andalusian cartographers.

These have been turbulent times; as usual, most wrangling went down to the south and east. Us westerners are peaceful and friendly, you know. So, who has King-level titles left in the year 1387, so near the End of CK?

As the most partial measurement of CK-power, I will furnish you with the nations' base tax levels. Depending on laws and overall efficacy, that base tax can be converted into filthy lucre or hordes of virtual soldiers, vibrantly expressed in integers of the crispest black.

0. The Pope (BT = 3). [AI]
Yes, the Pope has resurfaced! Greatest friend of all Catholics, the Pope has made the puzzling decision to settle down permanently in the middle of Averronian lands. Maybe the Pope thinks Averronian tolerance will extend even to him, the most fundamentalist of Catholics. The miscreant first attempted to make landfall at Valéncia; this did not please the Dhu'l Nun paterfamilias, so he was kindly yet firmly requested to sail on. So he did; eventually, he landed in Avignon, now a glaring spot of white on the map. Time will tell whether this is Papal wisdom or Papal folly, gentle reader.

1. Von Goldstrand*ian Bavaria (BT = 494) [Fivoin]
Not yet rivaling the Rurikovich empire at its apex but slowly getting there, Bavaria is the giant uncomfortably perched on the Andalusian doorstep. We are not a small player ourselves, but having this colossus on our doorstep makes us decidedly nervous. Expecting a conversion with a positively enormous accepted culture group in EU3, we are none to certain about the future, either. Relations have been strained as a result. The latest notch on the Bavarian pike is Fatimid Egypt, which due to continued regency councils (subs) and hostile activity has been unable to defend itself effectively and is now also being omnomnommed by the Bavarians; also see the situation in Italy. It took me a while to realize exactly what was going on; diplomatic negotiations are ongoing, in which return to normalcy and balance is being discussed. Frosty's leaving (see relevant part) is not helping my negotiating position.

2. Abbasid* Persia (BT = 461) [Foelsgaard]
Rising star of these final sessions of CK, Persia apparently decided that conversion as a third-rate power was no fun at all, and went and ate Komnenid* Rome. How he manages to keep Russia off his back is a mystery to me; also, I wonder how he'll manage once Croatia starts bringing down the hurting. Only one thing is certain: next session will be an interesting one too.

3. Dhu'l Nun Al-Andalus (BT = 433) [Oddman]
My own humble nation has seen a steady increase in its fortunes. I was going to say that the roles have switched between me and the Fatimid*s; in fact, it turns out I've been deserted by my closest ally. On a brighter note, the realm has finally recovered from the ruinous reign of its previous incompetent ruler. I'm basically gearing up for conversion; as a result, I haven't been paying very close attention to what's happening in the rest of the world. I may end up paying for this. As for foreign relations, things seem to be calming down between me and Golle, which is good, considering the upcoming colonization race; things are civil between me and Fivion, but little more, and this is cause of some alarm, but I know he is a reasonable guy, so all I need to do is create circumstances in which our goals align; and things are pretty fine between me and OY, as they have been in the past.
The only thing causing me serious headaches is the impending collapse of Egypt. I really don't feel like venturing across the Med this late in the game.

4. Dôn*mark (BT = 346) [Gollevainen]
I'm sure the Dôns are up to something; I just hope it's preparing for Colonial Surges. Not much has changed, across the sea.

5. Rurikovich* Russia (BT = 307) [von Roundstedt]
vR seems to be having rebellious-vassal-trouble; probably due to realm rearranging for conversion. He is also complaining about having low stability (pretty much cosmetic in CK, but crucial in EU3) - writing an AAR would do him good :).

6. Radomir Croatia (BT = 289) [OrangeYoshi]
The second rising star of the era, OrangeYoshi managed to bag the two richest provinces in the game in a remarkably short period of time. One would almost think OY's friends wish him well...

7. Fatimid* Egypt (BT = 235) [currently vacant]
Woe is me! The player of the Fatimid*s is quitting, leaving me in an awkward position. The realm is in a sad state, too, but certainly not beyond rescue. Italy is a lost cause, but I am of the opinion that Fatimid* expansion across the Med was a fool's errand anyway. If anyone would choose to take over Frosty's spot, I will offer my friendship to you as well (and hope you are somewhat less block-headed than Frosty was).

8. Komnenid* Rome (BT = 88) [King of Men]
If anyone looks like they're on the nomination to be annexed, it's King of Men. Due to his high score in our little meta-game which is used for distributing random EU3-goodies, his eradication would be good news for pretty much all of us. Still, I've got the sneaking suspicion Russia is manoeuvering to keep him alive, possibly to prevent Persia from growing too large.

9. Knautschling* Ösel (BT = 2) [AI; formerly Kolibri]
Honourable mention. No king title, but brave Ösel is the last stronghold of the Knautschling*s, formerly Viking Overlords of Denmark.

As KoM came through with the old saves, I can show a graph which goes back to a far earlier date. I also adjusted the line definition a bit, as I've received complains about legibility.

Graph:
bt_graph.png

Map:
1387.png

Good Lord... Please redo that graph again. Use more of a color spread instead of just dots instead of solid lines. I can't read that one very well. Too many dots to follow, I just can't tell what's what. Perhaps two of each color with one being a solid line and one having real big dots.

Also, those two farthest north provinces in Greece you have under Komnenid control are mine.

The Awakening of Gregori Rasputin – Text Update IV

Gregori Rasputin had slain Koschei the Immortal.

Koschei's body withered away unto dust, his magicks and knowledge drained.

Much of it returned back to the aether to whence it came, belonging back to the Personification of Magic itself.

But a small portion remained in the human world on the material plane.

It was Raenir's job to get that last remaining portion back.

“Now announcing to the Court of his most Imperial Majesty, the Tsar of ALL the Russias, Tsar Georgii Sviatoslavich Rurikovich! The Most-”

The chamberlains voice cracked a little here.

“-Honorable Archmagus of the Realm, Gregori Rasputin!”

Soft flowing tendrils of black smoke crawled out from nothingness, swirling together to form a vortex some meters high thick and impenetrable.

And just as quickly it arrived it dissipated revealing the Archmagus to the Court to stunned awe.

Only one man was unimpressed.

The now elderly Emperor of the Russias stared down Rasputin and Rasputin stared back.

For many awkward moments this stand off continued, visibly upsetting the court nobles and especially so the Imperial Guardsmen.

Rasputin was an Immortal, a mage of great power and skill, his time on this earth limitless granting him a personality of whom few mortals dare oppose.

But Rasputin is of barely entering his fifth human generation, much of it spent cloistered within the Tower of Novgorod. While the Tsar is well the Tsar, a sovereign monarch, leader of armies, responsible for the fate of nations.

There are only a few mortals who have the force of personality to challenge demi-gods like Rasputin.

The Tsar was one of those.

Rasputin lowered his eyes and lowered himself to one knee bowing.

The Tsar nodded, satisfied but otherwise his face remained unchanged in its ever present stoicism.

Four score years ago Rasputin had met his father, Sviatoslav Rurikovich who was struggling in his bid of mastery over the lands of Rus. Rasputin offered his aid for small favors.

Koschei's plan Rasputin had soon inferred was similar, he would offer his aid to the Novgorod Princes and expand the realm of Novgorod. Having its soldiers plant for him special totems that would match the constellations above and form an ever widening inscription on the earth.

Akin to a massive transmutation circle it would drain the life energy from the land and its people funnelling it to him, granting the power to unleash his gateway spell.

Rasputin would do something similar, instead of draining life energy however, it simply harvested the excess, a much smaller and far less efficient gain to be sure, but over a large enough area would be sufficient for his plans.

With his magic to turn the tide of war Pereslavyl founded the fortress city of Moskva to strangle the trade along the Volga and moved to annex one after another each Russian principality under the rallying cry of empire.

With all the Russian peoples under Sviatoslav's rule he turned south to the Don and the mongols who dispersed between the hammer of Sviatoslav's military prowess and the anvil of Rasputin's magic.

Rasputin was leaving the Courtroom taking his time to walk along the outer perimeter of the palace halls when he heard scurrying footsteps behind him.

Just as expected, he thought to himself.

“I've been expecting you to seek me out... Young master... Danilo Georgislav Rurikovich?” Turning his head to grin beneath his beard.

The young lad left the shadows of the pillar he had been hiding behind, as if discarding it.

Walking to within a few feet of Rasputin he declared.

“You are correct, I am indeed Danilo Rurikovich, Crown Prince of the Empire of All the Russia's!”

Pride.

“Why do you seeketh me Prince?”

Gritting his teeth, it was time for the confrontation he wasn't ready for.

“How do I know you will serve me as you serve my father? What gaurantee do I have of this wizard!?”

Rasputin laughed, leaning on his staff he answered.

“None at all! My loyalty if first and foremost to my magic!” He winced, the words pained him, they were not strictly true, his loyalty was to himself and magic second.

The Prince recoiled as if he had been struck.

“You fiend! When I assume the throne you should be executed for treason!”

Rasputin laughed again.

“Fear not young prince, your father dareth that I admit it is a wise and powerful man, his force of will is sufficient to insure my loyalty so much that it is worth. Admittedly you lack these traits to enforce my compliance as he...”

Danilo looked as if he had been slapped.

“But I shall offer ye a deal that ye would be wise to consider. There is no doubt that I will be much freer with your fathers timely demise to seek out my own ends, but be there as it may, my ends require a strong functional and dare I say it cooperative Russian state...”

The Prince scoffed.

“I see your games wizard, it is not cooperation you seek, but obedience and power behind the throne in which to rule from deceit and the shadows. I am my father's son! I am wise to these games.”

Rasputin smiled.

“And I am wise to yours, I am much older than ye boy. Don't ye be doubtin' my experience. If you were truly as you imply be as suspicious of me as ye are... You would not be confronting me alone in these dark halls without witnesses to what may transpire?”

Danilo gulped and nodded.

“So ye indeed be wanting something...”

Danilo nodded again, Rasputin's smile turned into a large grin.

“So it be obvious then that I have something ye want, and clear I admit that ye will eventually have somethin' I be interested in ye hear. Speak prince, be frank with your words.”

“I as my father and my father's father before him wish to continue to use your magicks mage. But I fear the cost to our souls and to our people, my father was a great man, and my father's father before him even greater. But alas, I fear that myself may be the last of our line at this rate to control thou ambitions.”

“Familiarity? Your bloodline certainly isn't weakening.”

“Aye wizard, my father was a lad when you approached grandfather the first Tsar. I wasn't born until much later and educated under close supervision of my father, kept safely away from your influence.”

He sighed.

“But my children? And theirs? How long wizard can we truly keep our royal progency away from your dark influences?”

How indeed.

“Do you have a suggestion lad?”

“Aye, that I do, a pact.”

Shit.

“Pact...”

Danilo nodded. How did he know!?

Rasputin scratched his head, face lined with deep thought.

There was a force poking at him from the shadows, not much, minor set backs, his augeries and divinations could reveal nothing. Something must have influenced the prince, he knew what was about to transpire and it would slow him down greatly.

Danilo explained his bargain.

Rasputin would 'modify' his spell and enter into a pact with the Russian royal family, his power would be restricted to within the magic veil spread out over the empire, thus to use his power past the borders he would need to work with the Tsars to expand those borders. A blood pact anchored into the aether.

There would be no way to break out of it. In return though, he may spread his veil to the whole of the empire instead of his a few duchies, his father and his father father have been very strict in this regard to keep him on a short chain.

Well played young prince.

Sighing.

“I accept.”