• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

In which I present: the world, according to Andalusi cartographers.

1361.png

I cry a river for you. Two rivers, in fact - the Danube and the Po. Make it three, I forgot the Dniepr. And the Dniestr. And the Don.

We expect an especially poetic lament of your personal brand of excellent writing after this. :D

Bah. If I don't get Byz back you'll get a treatise on the heraldry of the sovereign nations.

The Wisdom of Shapur

”The wise Sultan may use his vast wealth to secure the loyalty of his emirs. Then he should see fit to strike at the one most arrogant and boastful of them all to put him in his place. When the upstart sees his armies crushed and fortresses occupied he will accept to serve again and everyone will know the glory of the Sultan.”

”A silver tongue will increase the percieved worth of your offers. This should be self-evident to any merchant. However, the wise Sultan should take this truism to heart as well. If he was to employ a talented emissary at the table of negotiation, he could make small concessions seem great.”

”Striking the servant of a servant will anger his master but no one else.”

-Shapur the Literate, ”The Sultan”.​

Why!? Oh god what happened to poor KoM? Did he go to war against Russia with no allies?

Throw back the Croatian Hordes! Gangbang on the Croats- German Baltic Coast, Russian land gains, and the restoration of the holy city of Constantinople to the rightful Greek-speaking Romans!

Throw back the Croatian Hordes! Gangbang on the Croats- German Baltic Coast, Russian land gains, and the restoration of the holy city of Constantinople to the rightful Greek-speaking Romans!

You've known all along that the Greeks were imposters. The Romanians finally have their place on the throne of Rome once more.

On Heraldry

Making good on my threat; don't say you weren't warned! If I don't get the City back this sort of thing will be all you get for the next six hundred years, bwah-hah. Or to blazon that properly, sable threatened, a laugh madder.

A brief consideration of the arms of the Powers, their histories and blazons, and their symbolism.

FATI.jpg

The Caliphate, claiming as it does to represent all of Dar-al-Islam, has undoubtedly the simplest arms in all of heraldry, the blazon consisting of the single word 'Vert'. The green field is symbolic of life and growing things, a powerful image for the nomadic desert tribes with whom Islam is still associated in its lands of origin. Moslem teaching forbids the use of images, and in the strictest interpretations even symbols for the faith, lest they become idolatrous; although the proscription is not universally observed, the Caliph's banners are a model of this piety.

PERS.jpg

The arms of Persia are the diametric opposite of this pristine simplicity. Descending from seals of the Zoroastrian dynasties, and isolated from the European tradition of single charges consisting of strong outlines, the Abbasid banner may be blazoned "quarterly gules and azure; a roundel quartered and inescutcheoned roundel, bearing in its first quarter a faravahar or, in the second the sun in his glory issuant from a lion or bearing a sabre, in the third sable bordered or a sabre or handled argent, a mullet or, in the fourth a griffin segreant or; the inescutcheon azure bordered argent, the sun in his glory issuant from a mountain or with peaks argent." In Europe, any one of the six parts of this would be considered quite sufficient; the complexity of the blazon reflects the difficulty of bludgeoning arms from a very different heraldic tradition into European forms. It also reflects the long history of Persia, with many different symbols of sovereignty and royal power. The faravahar, a charge unknown to European heralds, might - if the blazon were not already long as a bad year! - be described as "a winged disk overlaying a feather-robed crowned archer". It is associated with Zoroastrianism, and represents the glory of the human soul in its struggle with Ahriman. This is of course anathema, in a quite literal sense, to the orthodox imams of the Caliphate; but Islam in Persia has perforce reached an accomodation with the Iranian sense of national unity and strength. The Lion-and-Sun emblem and the griffin are both conventional symbols of royalty, symbolising power and courage in battle, and the sabre is a reminder of its real basis. The mullet, when placed with the curve of the sabre, recalls the Crescent-and-Star of Islam. Finally, the mountain represents Mount Damavand, a symbol of Aryan resistance against foreign domination and tyranny, and of the highland plateaus that to this day are the heartland of Iranian strength.

[OOC aside: The Persian CoA in CK appears to be based on that of the Pahlavi dynasty, which obviously is very anachronistic, but does have the advantage that you can find it on the Internets and have a look at the details. When I tried to figure out the blazon just from the bitmap CoA, the faravahar ended up being a tulip, on the grounds that the tulip is associated with Persia and who was going to argue? Going by the CK file, you could just as well blazon that part "a blob or". I also took the sabre-and-mullet for a comet-and-star.]

russ.jpg

Turning north, we find Russia with much more conventional arms, gules a bear rampant or crowned or bearing an axe argent. The bear is of course a traditional symbol of Russia, the crown is a traditional symbol of royal sovereignty, and the axe is a traditional tool for enforcing sovereignty through beheadings. The symbolism, then, is like the Russians themselves: Conservative and to the point, without hidden complexity.

croa.jpg
BAVA.jpg

Croatia and Bavaria both have simple geometries, Croatia's arms being chequy gules and argent, and Bavaria's lozengy azure and argent. The rumour that Croatia's red-and-white represents blood flowing on the pale skin of virgins sacrificed to Satan in exchange for victory in battle is unsubstantiated but very persuasive.

denm.jpg

Denmark's arms of hearts and lions, "or three horny lions passant azure crowned and armed or, langued gules, nine hearts gules", recall those of Holger Danske, "Ogier l'Danois" in the Chanson d'Charlemagne. The famed knight himself sleeps, of course, under Kronborg Castle, waiting for the hour of Denmark's greatest need, when he shall again rise and wield his sword Curtana against the infidel. With the infidel now right across the English Channel from the Danelaw, that day may not be too far distant.

leon.jpg

The arms of al-Andalus, in a minor historical irony, are descended from those of the Christian kingdom of Leon, mainstay of the resistance to the taifa emirates before the Caliphate's resurgence. They therefore form a cant, or pun, that no longer has any basis. Apart from this footnote, the arms are conventional: Argent a lion rampant purpure, crowned, armed, and langued or.

BYZA.png

Finally, Rome, like Persia, has a multitude of symbols from its long history, but unlike the Iranians the Romans do not insist on displaying all of them on a single coat of arms. Field armies, of course, carry a golden Eagle as their standard, variously cadenced. The Komnenos dynasty has its own familial arms, separate from those of the Empire as such in spite of the long dominance of the family; the seal of Antioch, long lost to the Caliphate, is also sometimes associated with the Komnenoi in memory of their long defiance from the walls of that city. The arms of the Empire as such are "gules quartered by a cross or, bearing in each quarter a firestone or". The firestones are conventionally shown as having the shape of the Greek letter beta, and thus the four charges together represent the motto "Basileus Basileon Basileuon Basileonton", "King of Kings, Ruling over those who Rule". The motif of a cross separating four charges goes back to Constantine, and has appeared in many variants; it recalls the cross-in-circle that appeared to the Emperor in a dream with the motto "In Hoc Signo Vinces", "In This Sign Conquer".

KoM, why did you think Orange Yoshi would help you? You know she(?) has a grudge against you. You should have got Denmark to help you. Or better yet, partition Croatia with Bavaria and/or Russia.

KoM, why did you think Orange Yoshi would help you? You know she(?) has a grudge against you. You should have got Denmark to help you. Or better yet, partition Croatia with Bavaria and/or Russia.

Unfortunately for KoM, the political realities of Children of the Fatherland are not quite so straightforward. Up to now, Bavaria and Croatia have had an excellent understanding; neither has any sort of positive connexion to KoM. Circumstantial benefit needs to be very persuasive indeed to convince them to faithfully come to his aid. Russia has little reason to trust KoM either, having been on the receiving end of Roman swords several times this last century.

KoM's only steadfast friend is Foelsgård, over in Persia. A wise choice and a good friend; however, too far away from Croatia to be of help and currently in a Non-Aggression Pact with Russia, so no help there, either.

That Frosty's promised aid, in exchange for Roman Italy, failed to materialise properly is unfortunate for KoM, but no big surprise either - once sworn enemies rarely turn into true allies, especially with supernatural rulers with memories centuries long.

Such is the price to pay for reckless opportunism against one's neighbours.

Session 37, yr 1361: In which absolutely nothing goes KoM's way ep.III; Revenge of the Croats! :eek:

session37.jpg

Sub does his best to wreck al-Andalus!
Luckily for him nobody was planing on partitioning him, Andalusian diplomacy strikes again!

Persia claims every last title in the British isles!
Because claims give bonuses in conversion, or more sinister plans afoot?

King of Men spends week switching between plotting against Fatimids, Abbasids, Croats and Russians!
Finally agrees with Croats to attack Russians!
Bribes Fatimids with Italy south of Po to keep Bavarians/Andalusians/Persians of his back!
Reveals to Fatimids his plan to attack Croats after victory in Russia!
Fatimids start seeing pattern...!

Greeks and Croats assault Russia!
When Greeks have entered battle with Russian forces Croats suddenly peace with Russia!
Croats attack Greeks!
Greeks call Fatimids to arms!
Russians call Bavarians to arms!
Fatimids and Bavarians both exit war as per prior agreement on peace in case of Balkan war!

Greeks are left to the mercies of Cossacks and Croats!
No crashes mean no morale-bug to save embattled Greeks!
Greeks surrender Constantinople, Italy north of Po and Crimea!

Fatimids arrive to remind Greeks of agreement concerning Italy south of Po!
Greeks protest that agreement was contingent on Greek victory!
Fatimid bookies present convincing legal argument ad baculum!

Greeks plot violent revenge from Nicaea, new-found interest in heraldry fooling no-one. :p
Perhaps this time they have learned to wait with plotting against their friends and allies until after the current campaign is resolved.

(coincidentally, the Imams have temporarily loosened the ban on Greeks with their heads attached to their shoulders, just in case someone wishes to take this opportunity to convert..)

The funny thing is KoM can probably still curbstomp Yoshi in EU3.

Oh, not much left of King of Men! He might have to wait for a new spot in the EU3 section if some people decide to partition his little Roman realm.

Apparently he thinks that he is the only one who can lie and backstab his way to victory. :p

Nonetheless, the grudge from my end is gone. I have the city. I've completed the one goal I've been after since joining the game. I"m happy to just sit here for 40 years until we convert to a game that makes sense.

The funny thing is KoM can probably still curbstomp Yoshi in EU3.

How does this make sense at all?

Well for Eu3, I would bet my money on Yoshi and Von Runsted to become as great victors compared to KoM simply due their eu3 skill...but thank god they both play minor nations and far away from me.
...wait!

When will you learn not to try to be friends with OY, KOM? You keep allowing him to annex Poland or letting him off with a lenient peace in wars, and he keeps turning around and taking Constantinople. It's not like he's been secretive about his desire for it either. :p

Greeks call Fatimids to arms!
Greeks are left to the mercies of Cossacks and Croats!
Fatimids arrive to remind Greeks of agreement concerning Italy south of Po!
Greeks protest that agreement was contingent on Greek victory!
Fatimid bookies present convincing legal argument ad baculum!

I must say this seems like a rather dishonorable way to treat your allies. Especially allies who helped you in your own most recent war.