• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
These Things Happen

What shall I say, what can be said? For those who've seen, no words are necessary; and for those who haven't, none are enough. I was there, and my mind shies away from the real extent of the horror; I flinch from thinking about it, like sending your tongue into the gap where a tooth used to be. But what's the use of this word, 'horror'? Nothing. It has no meaning. These things happen, that's all. Parents see their children rise smiling in the morning, start coughing at midday, and put them on their pyres in the evening. Is that horror? Maybe. For those who've seen it happen a hundred times, or more, there's no horror; there can't be. There are only events, to be described if that's useful, or not to be spoken of. If I saw you getting ready to go out, I might tell you that it were raining, and you would put on your cloak. And if you wanted to know, I would tell you how many had died, in this village or that. Or in mine. Or in my house. What's the use of being emotional about it? Feed the hungry, clothe the naked, bury the dead; these are the corporal acts of mercy. And there'll still be need for that mercy, when you're done shaking your angry fist at Heaven, when you've finished looking for words for the sheer despair of it all. I am a man of great mercy, but no grief; not anymore. I buried it somewhere. My grave-gift to some naked wretch, that I could give nothing else.

These things happen. They've happened before, they'll happen again. You think we're the first? There was plague in Justinian's time, that they say killed half the men in Christendom. Who remembers that now? Only a few scholars. All that grief! Thousands, tens of thousands, crying and wailing their fury at the skies. Gone, forgotten. Who do you think will remember us, remember our grief? Nobody. The children don't believe us. They can't. What can we say that would make them believe? Nothing. Only the dry numbers, perhaps, as if that's any use! One in three from this village, one in four from that; this one was spared, only one in ten died. Voices in the wind, ghosts, nothingness! They won't grasp the heart of it. I don't, and I was there. I can witness, but who shall be the judge? This thing happened. I must insist on that, or I'll forget it myself. These things happen; real men, with voices and dreams and children, die coughing their lungs out. I saw a man once, who had buried two sons and his wife in the same day; when he was done, he dug his own grave, and sat down in it to die. Do you believe that? I don't. Who would dig his own grave? But I saw it happen. I shoveled the mud over his head, when I got tired of waiting for him to die; and he didn't move a finger. That was my work of mercy, that day: To bury the living with their dead. The gentle Christ won't mind; he's coming back to judge both kinds.

Or was it him who buried me? Maybe I'm only a ghost, that thinks it's a man, and makes meaningless noises in the wind. But I had sons once. That happened, too. I saw them born. Do you believe that? I don't. Who would have children who die? All men are initiates in the mysteries of death; and I am more, I am the Grand Master and High Priest of the mysteries.

Bring out your dead.

Re:Frosty's alleged deceitfulness (What is it, -1 diplomacy, +1 intrigue and a malus to loyalty? Sounds about right.)
Playing more than a handful games of Diplomacy has taught me the following: Judge people by their actions, not their words.

Since I didn't continue, I can't say Frosty was being deceitful, I can only say that he came across very badly. As things were when I left the game, I'd attempted to achieve clear communication and this had failed, but I wasn't sure if this was because Frosty was trying to confuse me, or if he was himself confused. So what I was doing was getting insurance and then waiting to see what his actions were.

It is useless to point out to Frosty how you perceive him to have broken his word. Simply adjust your pattern of expectation, and feel free to tell the world that you do, and why. Or don't, and let the rest of the world find out for themselves.

I'm not sure if you're speaking to me or OrangeYoshi here... In my own case, this discussion has not been about me perceiving him as having broken his word, it started because I wondered how he'd won a major war while also being excommunicated. As the discussion continued, and I realized how different Frosty's perception of late fasquardon-age Imperial/Caliphate relations had been to mine, I thought it was good to explain my perspective. That perspective wasn't very positive, but it is only a perspective, not a judgment or an attack on Frosty. My point here is to explain why he came across badly and why I reacted in the way that I did, in the interests of both of us communicating better in future.

Sorry if the broken up nature of my posting has made the thread of the discussion hard to follow. I don't get enough time to trawl the thread very often.

fasquardon

I don't get enough time to trawl the thread very often.

Well, you'll be happy to hear that all that Caliphate/Imperial tension has since been resolved. :D

Last edited:
What shall I say, what can be said? For those who've seen, no words are necessary; and for those who haven't, none are enough. I was there, and my mind shies away from the real extent of the horror; I flinch from thinking about it, like sending your tongue into the gap where a tooth used to be. But what's the use of this word, 'horror'? Nothing. It has no meaning. These things happen, that's all. Parents see their children rise smiling in the morning, start coughing at midday, and put them on their pyres in the evening. Is that horror? Maybe. For those who've seen it happen a hundred times, or more, there's no horror; there can't be. There are only events, to be described if that's useful, or not to be spoken of. If I saw you getting ready to go out, I might tell you that it were raining, and you would put on your cloak. And if you wanted to know, I would tell you how many had died, in this village or that. Or in mine. Or in my house. What's the use of being emotional about it? Feed the hungry, clothe the naked, bury the dead; these are the corporal acts of mercy. And there'll still be need for that mercy, when you're done shaking your angry fist at Heaven, when you've finished looking for words for the sheer despair of it all. I am a man of great mercy, but no grief; not anymore. I buried it somewhere. My grave-gift to some naked wretch, that I could give nothing else.

These things happen. They've happened before, they'll happen again. You think we're the first? There was plague in Justinian's time, that they say killed half the men in Christendom. Who remembers that now? Only a few scholars. All that grief! Thousands, tens of thousands, crying and wailing their fury at the skies. Gone, forgotten. Who do you think will remember us, remember our grief? Nobody. The children don't believe us. They can't. What can we say that would make them believe? Nothing. Only the dry numbers, perhaps, as if that's any use! One in three from this village, one in four from that; this one was spared, only one in ten died. Voices in the wind, ghosts, nothingness! They won't grasp the heart of it. I don't, and I was there. I can witness, but who shall be the judge? This thing happened. I must insist on that, or I'll forget it myself. These things happen; real men, with voices and dreams and children, die coughing their lungs out. I saw a man once, who had buried two sons and his wife in the same day; when he was done, he dug his own grave, and sat down in it to die. Do you believe that? I don't. Who would dig his own grave? But I saw it happen. I shoveled the mud over his head, when I got tired of waiting for him to die; and he didn't move a finger. That was my work of mercy, that day: To bury the living with their dead. The gentle Christ won't mind; he's coming back to judge both kinds.

Or was it him who buried me? Maybe I'm only a ghost, that thinks it's a man, and makes meaningless noises in the wind. But I had sons once. That happened, too. I saw them born. Do you believe that? I don't. Who would have children who die? All men are initiates in the mysteries of death; and I am more, I am the Grand Master and High Priest of the mysteries.

Bring out your dead.

This is excellent writing. Did you "steal" it from somewhere (from where, please?), or is it your own? (in wich case, I hope it is all in your imagination, and not in any way self-experienced...)

That's my imagination, although I admit to stealing the phrase "These things happened" to describe terrible events from "The Years of Rice and Salt". Thanks for your kind praise. :)

what shall i say, what can be said? For those who've seen, no words are necessary; and for those who haven't, none are enough. I was there, and my mind shies away from the real extent of the horror; i flinch from thinking about it, like sending your tongue into the gap where a tooth used to be. But what's the use of this word, 'horror'? Nothing. It has no meaning. These things happen, that's all. Parents see their children rise smiling in the morning, start coughing at midday, and put them on their pyres in the evening. Is that horror? Maybe. For those who've seen it happen a hundred times, or more, there's no horror; there can't be. There are only events, to be described if that's useful, or not to be spoken of. If i saw you getting ready to go out, i might tell you that it were raining, and you would put on your cloak. And if you wanted to know, i would tell you how many had died, in this village or that. Or in mine. Or in my house. What's the use of being emotional about it? Feed the hungry, clothe the naked, bury the dead; these are the corporal acts of mercy. And there'll still be need for that mercy, when you're done shaking your angry fist at heaven, when you've finished looking for words for the sheer despair of it all. I am a man of great mercy, but no grief; not anymore. I buried it somewhere. My grave-gift to some naked wretch, that i could give nothing else.

These things happen. They've happened before, they'll happen again. You think we're the first? There was plague in justinian's time, that they say killed half the men in christendom. Who remembers that now? Only a few scholars. All that grief! Thousands, tens of thousands, crying and wailing their fury at the skies. Gone, forgotten. Who do you think will remember us, remember our grief? Nobody. The children don't believe us. They can't. What can we say that would make them believe? Nothing. Only the dry numbers, perhaps, as if that's any use! One in three from this village, one in four from that; this one was spared, only one in ten died. Voices in the wind, ghosts, nothingness! They won't grasp the heart of it. I don't, and i was there. I can witness, but who shall be the judge? This thing happened. I must insist on that, or i'll forget it myself. These things happen; real men, with voices and dreams and children, die coughing their lungs out. I saw a man once, who had buried two sons and his wife in the same day; when he was done, he dug his own grave, and sat down in it to die. Do you believe that? I don't. Who would dig his own grave? But i saw it happen. I shoveled the mud over his head, when i got tired of waiting for him to die; and he didn't move a finger. That was my work of mercy, that day: To bury the living with their dead. The gentle christ won't mind; he's coming back to judge both kinds.

Or was it him who buried me? Maybe i'm only a ghost, that thinks it's a man, and makes meaningless noises in the wind. But i had sons once. That happened, too. I saw them born. Do you believe that? I don't. Who would have children who die? All men are initiates in the mysteries of death; and i am more, i am the grand master and high priest of the mysteries.

Bring out your dead.

April fools!

Save is here.

• Immortals
  • Blayne AAR: Intrigue
  • KoM AAR: Education upgrade
  • Abghazia transfer (Rome pays)
  • Istria transfer (costs split)

Last edited:
dpfn9y.png

And I had such a beautiful map of the demands we were going to make on Russia:

RussiaDemands.png

OrangeYoshi, why did you betray me so? We could have made beautiful annexations together! :sobs:

Nooo! Not Constantinople! Not again!

Alas, KoM get caught in his own web of intrigue, losing Italy, Crimea and Constantinople to marauding Croats and Cossack hordes, as well as marauding Saracen entrepreneurs. :D

Well, that was positively catastrophic - and not just for Byzantion.

Started the session with a decent king, +2 stability, 600k prestige, 50k gold in the treasury - ending it with a different king with shitty stats whereas I had a good successor lined up, realm duress, excommunicated, in the wrong law, having subdued half my realm from revolt, at -3 stab, 40k in debt to my eastern rival - yay for subs :S.

danm there are two types of plague!
and our son's wifeys fails to give us english heirs!!
and our vassal was so drunk that I had to take care of the christian rebels defying his pagan tyranny
and everyone has DAs with everyone so i can not war :(

Well, that was positively catastrophic - and not just for Byzantion.

Started the session with a decent king, +2 stability, 600k prestige, 50k gold in the treasury - ending it with a different king with shitty stats whereas I had a good successor lined up, realm duress, excommunicated, in the wrong law, having subdued half my realm from revolt, at -3 stab, 40k in debt to my eastern rival - yay for subs :S.

I cry a river for you. Two rivers, in fact - the Danube and the Po. Make it three, I forgot the Dniepr. And the Dniestr. And the Don.