• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The Fatimid Caliphate: Defiance

islamy.jpg

Outside the imposing walls of Damascus, vast siege towers lay burning. An emerald banner still flutters at their base, among fire and the dead.

At two bows distance a ragged army stands arrayed on the windswept plain in one perfect, massive line. They are the unwavering, unfaltering, unshakable personification of Allah's will. They bear the scars of a thousand lances and swords, of arrows scimitars and boiling oil. Before them the Kings of England, France, Poland and Leon have knelt and asked for mercy, before their iron resolve every charge and fortress has faltered. Now here they stand before mighty Damascus, seven great banners of the twenty that mustered ten years ago, and they're sick and tired of it.

At one bows distance a tent is raised, shining white to denote the presence of the True Calipha of Islam. Around his presence stand the Sayeedi Guard, stern men of holy blood. The image of the lighthouse of Pharos emblazoned on their chest and banners, a representation of the guiding light of Allah and his Calipha on earth.

Under the tent sat the Fatimid council of war, the young Fatimid brothers; Calipha and Grand Vizier, Master of the Hassassin Nasiba Fatimid. As well as the german mercenary commanders that had to be brought in for the tactical acumen so sorely missing among the scholars and merchants of Alexandria.

The aging Master of the Recruits Werner Murat was a stocky little man with an excellent eye for bratwürst and budding captains-to-be. The great war college of Alexandria had been his brainchild, receiving obscene amounts of royal funding, much to the consternation of the mullahs. The competence of his students had been a linchpin of Fatimid strategies, allowing the levantine regiments to operate a successful guerrilla warfare champaign against Polacks four times their numbers. Finally extracting a great ransom for capturing their king in a daring nighttime raid and allowing the nile regiments some breathing time.

Next to him sat his younger countryman, a great beast of a man with a shaven head and shoulders like an oxen, called Levithan by his grizled engineers. Master of the Siege von Wittelsbach was the man who had held Baalbek against odds so unbelievable Muhammad had dismissed the initial reports as some form of Polish ruse. But they were all true, soon the small city of Baalbek was littered with enough traps, catapults and killzone funnels for enemy troops to make Archimedes blush. When the Calipha moved against the Damascid pretender Hisn Yousif von Wittlesbach was elevated to the rank of Warmaster and given command of the finest builders and engineers gold could buy. Soon the fortified cities surrendered at the very sight of one of his mighty siegetowers being constructed, one by one they fell. All except Damascus.

Calipha Muhammad sat uneasy, by any counting midday had come and passed hours ago. Even in the shade the temperature was murdering, to say nothing of what the armored men had to endure, and not a whisper of a breeze could be felt.

"I should have the city burned for this insolence." He growled "They know defeat is inevitable, yet they insist on letting my army cook under this wretched sun! Do they not understand what my men will do when they finally enter this damned city? They should be groveling at my feet!"

"Let us withdraw the line sire, and give them rest" The Leviathan Master of the Siege advised in broken arabic. "My crews would cheer at a chance to avenge yesterday." He motioned at the wreckage of the towers repelled by the devilry of a company of "mercenary" Antiochean grenadiers. "A further week of bombardment should put them in a more groveling mood"

Muhammad groaned "I cannot waste more time on this pretender, for goodness sake he does not even hold the name and yet he insists on calling himself the Fatimid ruler! I do not have the time nor the men to chase down every loon who believes we are a bunch of stuttering coward al-Mustandirs! By Allah! Alexandria is being burned by savages and we linger here!"

"They will let themselves be bought by our coin as all barbarians." Nasiba calmed "Their little raids will be forgotten by Ramadan, Alexandria's wealth lie in caravans and trade fleets. A few broken levies and stolen camels will not end us"

"If you let one stray dog steal from your table it will not be long before the flock is tearing you limb from limb." Murad cautioned.

"Bah, I have had enough" Muhammad exclaimed "Pull back the.."

The battered gates of Damascus creaked and screamed, then gave way and slowly opened with a dull crack. Three riders exited and rode towards the tent. One banner bearer and a page on gnarled ghosts of horses, and a noble clad in fine robes riding a steed who had seen better days. Emir Yousif.

After what seemed like forever the riders arrived, the page coughed and and began the court rituals.

"His Eminence, the King of Damascus, defender of the Fatimid title, Emir of..."

"We know who the old sheep-romancer is!" Sayeed exclaimed. "Get your pompous behind of that sorry excuse of a mount and kneel before the one true Calipha!"

The Emir painfully motioned to his page and ungraciously slid of his horse, kneeling before Muhammad.

"Oh great one, I have only ever claimed to defend a title the fool Mustandir was unfit to claim! I humbly throw myself at your feet an surrender any pretense of being more worthy of the emerald and white than you oh mighty Calipha."

"I give the groveling a seven out of ten, not enough fawning" Sayeed smirked

"Your defiance has been great emir. I will spare your life, but your titles and power is forfeit" The Calipha started

"My great apologies mighty lord, but it is not within your jurisdiction" The Emir slowly raised himself

"What poisonous heresy are you spitting snake? I am the Imam of all Islam! My command is the True Word of Allah and my jurisdiction is All!" The Calipha exploded

"Alas excellence Damascus is beholden Christ and the king of Nubia! Long live the king!" Yousif screamed, turned on a dime and threw himself on his horse. All the riders setting of in a wild gallop for the city gates.

Muhammad stood an looked as they disappeared in a cloud of dust, dumbstruck. Slowly he turned, a vein in his forehead bulging threateningly, his left eye twitching. They all held their breath.

"I. Want. That. Wretched. Whoreson. Dongola. Dead." He slowly drew a breath. "I want him dragged behind a camel from here to al-Andalus. I want the head of every male of his line on a pike outside my palace. I want I want his councilors put in a bag and thrown in the Nile. And I want all of Nubia burned. Order the army to march."

Last edited:
"I. Want. That. Wretched. Whoreson. Dongola. Dead." He slowly drew a breath. "I want him dragged behind a camel from here to al-Andalus. I want his councilors put in a bag and thrown in the nile. And I want all of Nubia burned. Order the army to march."

Let me take this moment to say: LONG LIVE NUBIA! HUZZAH FOR THE NUBS!

fasquardon

By the way I inspected the save game, and there were lots of Orthodox provinces across the Muslim lands now. Did you guys not mod the religious conversion events in accordance with the Muslim-playable-mod?? (replacing the condition "realm_religion" or whatever it was with "ruler = { shiite = yes }" or some such thing, so that the game does not convert the provinces held by modded-muslim rulers...)

:eek: by 1200 the entire middle east will be Orthodox...

By the way I inspected the save game, and there were lots of Orthodox provinces across the Muslim lands now. Did you guys not mod the religious conversion events in accordance with the Muslim-playable-mod?? (replacing the condition "realm_religion" or whatever it was with "ruler = { shiite = yes }" or some such thing, so that the game does not convert the provinces held by modded-muslim rulers...)

:eek: by 1200 the entire middle east will be Orthodox...

We have accounted for the muslim trait-muslim prov religion in our mod. The problem is the "convert to rulers religion" event chain, causing the muslims that pledged to Nubia to go orthodox. The other problem is children who gain a title before they have their muslim trait fire, they however will eventualy be brought back into the fold by the aforementioned eventchain.

But fear not, the dastardly Nubians shall pay, and Damascus shall be reconverted, as soon as I have recuperated my losses and lowered my bb

Okay it's good to hear that you got it on your radar...

Because it's not just Damascus, when I checked the 1086 savegame Alexandria and a whole bunch of provinces in Spain, Africa and Persia were orthodox already.

It looked just like in my CK, games, right after I wipe out the muslims and start converting the middle east to the true Orthodox faith :eek:

Oh and BTW, I just noticed that I looked into the wrong savegame for my AAR. I thought you guys had only played to 1086, but silly me I noticed --after compiling screenshots and so on-- that there was already a 11-something savegame on Ederon in another thread :facepalm:

Okay it's good to hear that you got it on your radar...

Because it's not just Damascus, when I checked the 1086 savegame Alexandria and a whole bunch of provinces in Spain, Africa and Persia were orthodox already.

It looked just like in my CK, games, right after I wipe out the muslims and start converting the middle east to the true Orthodox faith :eek:

Oh and BTW, I just noticed that I looked into the wrong savegame for my AAR. I thought you guys had only played to 1086, but silly me I noticed --after compiling screenshots and so on-- that there was already a 11-something savegame on Ederon in another thread :facepalm:

I'm not sure what youre talking about, our last save was feb 1086. In it the only wrongly orthodox provs are Damascus and 2 persian ones. I think you have been looking at the 1114 save, which is a singleplayer save by the persian player. For some inexplicable reason my heir has lost his shi'ite trait in that save, but rest assured none of this will come to pass. :D

I'm not sure what youre talking about, our last save was feb 1086. In it the only wrongly orthodox provs are Damascus and 2 persian ones. I think you have been looking at the 1114 save, which is a singleplayer save by the persian player. For some inexplicable reason my heir has lost his shi'ite trait in that save, but rest assured none of this will come to pass. :D

Oh you mean the 1114 one was NOT your most current MP savegame??

Phew! Thanks, I thought I'd have to re-do the AAR to get my AAR reward :D

And yes, in the 1114 savegame a bunch of provinces were Orthodox... Alexandria and some lands in Spain, most prominently.

Oh you mean the 1114 one was NOT your most current MP savegame??

The 1114 save is basically me going "PERSIA!" *fabfabfabfabfab*.

(also, it was meant to showcase a bug)

#3 - Show me a man’s friends, and I’ll tell you what kind of man he is.

Ack! Court life was something different from the monk life, Laídech Mainchín realised. It was over ten years since he came to the land of Gwydion, and it still took time to fit in. Ten years is long, if you do not age. For him, he always looked somewhat older: having seen so much misery and death before, having seen other people’s lives pass, brings a worry to a man’s eye that is never erased. It becomes hard live so carefree, like uncursed people do. Lord Gwydion mac Dôn was good in that way, giving every man his due for good work, and lifting their worries by taking them on huntingtrips. He managed to keep good people around for advice, even if he did not always like to hear what they had to say.
Shortly after he had arrived, Laídech Mainchín had confided some of his worries about his friends in Eíre to the bishop of Gwynedd. If you are a stranger in a strange land, you need friends. Surprisingly, the bishop had been very supportive of his cause, and a man of great intellect. Mainchín did not have to explain everything about the curse, or even mention it. Bishop Rhys understood the principle of loyalty, and he did not wish to know every detail. He helped him draft the initial letter to his old monastry, and added another letter of his own making to it. A friend does not need to know the exact reasons, but will have faith. Bishop Rhys had faith in the little monk, and knew about forgiveness too. Forgiveness never goes without hard mental work. And hard mental work hones the soul, sharpens it for future conflicts and gives value and pride to its owner.

“It is right to make use of your intellect, Mainchín. If you would not use it, you would waste it, and God has no respect for those who waste idlely.”
“Should I bring harm by using my intellect, how is this right, bishop?”
“It is right because it is the intention that counts. God can look into the hearts of man, and see their meaning.”
“How would I know my own meaning then? My mind clouds my judgement sometimes, my judgements are not pure by divine standard. My heart conflicts with my mind in taking decisions...”
“Mainchín,” the bishop paused, examining the troubled little monk. “Mainchín, we are not God. We are not angels. We are not holy men as the apostles of old. We are not the great thinkers of Old Rome or Greece. We are men. And we do as we can. We should do the best we can. But we have our faults, we make mistakes. And we live with it. We do not give up and lie down, but get up again everyday and work our work, live our lives and do the best we can. This may not be the easiest of answers, but the right road is never the easiest. We may yet do work that make us worthy in the eyes of God. The important thing is to go on.”

Sigh. Court life.
The little songful monk was expected to fullfill some courtly duties of course. Running errands, talking to various nobles and courtiers. His heraldic skills had him stopping by every vassal of his lord, and talking, talking, talking. Oh and he did see a lot things happening in the realm this way. Most counts were very satisfied with the Duc Gwydion, but there were some lords which were listening to other advisors. Especially that William of Normandie had been sending ambassadors to vassals on the border. This had led him into some sort of argument with Chancellor Maredudd. That man just did not understand the danger of facing a King of the lowlands. William of Normandie had many more men under his command, so no quarter should be given to any of the Welsh vassals that would even think about breaking away! But the chancellor would not listen. Warwick and Glamorgan were on the verge of leaving, so Mainchín decided to go to Duc Gwydion directly.
“My lord, there is danger in losing Warwick and Glamorgan: should we not stand unified against the Conqueror of Britannia, what chance do we have? They outnumber us, even in regular men, and seven times in horsemen! He can chew on us for breakfast, and continue about his business, while we will sit in ruin for a hundred years. I urge you to make amends with Warwick and Glamorgan: their ears are turned toward the Norman, not because of their love for him, but because of old feuds. I know of no stronger symbol for all of Cymru than to be the first to rise above cattleraids and –poaching. Cymru can unite, lord, in the face of danger – but would you not rather have it unite before danger? I can confide in you that Glamorgan will even rather see a Welsh king if it wasn’t for your old feud.”
This had greatly angered Chancellor Maredudd, who felt passed by. But such are the mistakes we make, in trying to do that which we see as right. We do the best we can, and it is the important thing to go on.

1077friends.jpg

Reward: remove rivalry between Gwydion and Glamorgan (if possible)
If not: +1 stability.

Can't you mod everyone to have a huge intrigue, and thus make the need of vassals less dire? I hate CK for the game engine forcing me to trust a herd of stupid AI-counts that never manage to act logically.

Can't you mod everyone to have a huge intrigue, and thus make the need of vassals less dire? I hate CK for the game engine forcing me to trust a herd of stupid AI-counts that never manage to act logically
becouse it wouldn't be CK then;)

The Toulousian Codex:

1077-1086:

Analysis of the Toulousian situation:

The main event was my Genoan gamble. The situation was this: in June of 1077, I had just reached the prestige threshold where I could grab a claim on Genoa, and at the same time, the magistrate of Genoa was in revolt against his powerful liege, the king of Germany. It was a valuable opportunity to gain a rich province with superb trade connections, only problem was, with German armies closing from all sides, including the King Heinrich's own regiment, there was a sizable risk that the Germans might peace Genoa out before I did - meaning my claim on Genoa would be out of reach and German for the next two or three generations. Not the most efficient use of 300 prestige. So after many tests in SP, I planned my attack down to the day. Claiming in June, sailing my duke's regiment in July, dowing in august, sending my vassal regiments in September, beginning my siege in October... And for all this careful planning, the Germans overtook me, taking every Genoese province save the capital, giving me mere seconds to conclude the peace once my siege was done. Had I been a moment slower in clicking, the gamble would have come to naught.

However, I wasn't. And when the Germans extinguished the Genoese republic from the map, I gained a bonus. Most of the Genoese court decided to seek asylum in Toulouse. Significantly, this would give me a capable marshal, as well as a number of bishops that I quickly put to work.

Unfortunately, that was my only gain of the session.

Now let's consider the challenges yet to come:

The Saxony Problem:

Those of you who've seen Frosty's map will already have an inkling of my problem here:

italiansaxony.jpg

Saxony is making great gains in Northern Italy. They're also growing faster than I am. This session Fivoin gained about 13 base tax worth of vassals and conquests, I gained about 12. With more useful claims (most of mine are on my own vassals), lower BB, higher prestige, more of his military power under vassals and with income and troop strengths being roughly equal, this trend is likely to accelerate next session. And while Saxony has many neighbours, they're all growing even more slowly than I am (though Slesvig is one to watch, as it is in a very good position to make gains in the next couple sessions, if this potential is not stunted by Saxony managing to beat Slesvig in the race to conquer Mecklenburg, on which both Duchies have claims).

So if Fivoin is in Italy to stay, I have a problem. Northern Italy has been the only region open to me for expansion so far, and its wealth and strategic access to the Balkans (which given the paucity of players in the region is sure to turn into an area of competition for the empires of Europe, and thus a useful place for me to be able to project power into) make it eminently useful for me. However, there's no sense in picking fights I don't have to, and in many ways, Northern Italy could be a dangerous distraction for a German player, so Fivoin may feel the same. At this stage, I figure my best course of action is to keep a careful eye on Saxon doings, while also opening diplomatic channels and maybe arrange a buyout.

The Rus Problem:

The Seljuk succession ended up being much less interesting than I had hoped, with von R sweeping in, and together with Foels decisively slaughtering the Seljuk Sultan, dividing the vast Empire between them. It was over in a few months. The new Seljuk Rus then proceeded to gain the allegiance of just about all of the independant Princes of Russia and the Baltic, creating a realm even larger than the old Seljuks had been, dispite the loss of Persia to Foels. The original Seljuk empire could mobilize 80,000 troops. Persia can mobilize 40,000, and the Seljuk Rus 96,000. For a while, it looked like von R might loose control of his new empire, as civil war and realm duress wracked the land. His king, sick and wounded, hovered on the verge of death. Then he recovered. And so did the empire.

Now von R is strong enough that if he wanted, and if he were skilled enough, he could conquer Europe in a couple generations. Now I doubt he wants to do that, but he can still set himself up as one of the superpowers of CK, and give himself a very good starting position for EU3. Those of us who remember what he did with one French province in the last game may be tempted to rush for artillary at this point.

However, the Rus have one critical weakness. The Rurikovich* dynasty only has two male members left. In that, there is danger, opportunity and enough analysis to fill the next month's worth of AARs.

The Persia Problem:

While the advance of the Rus has attracted the most attention, it is the rise of Persia that may prove the more significant. Foels astutely divided the Seljuk realm with von R, and in such a way that von R has taken most of the human badboy. Foels is well equipped for further expansion, particularly those areas of von R's realm that von R wants shot of as fast as possible. Given that Foels is in a more player-dense neighbourhood, any expansion he makes will create more disruption to the balance of power - by growing bigger, he doesn't just make himself stronger - he also reduces the ability of his neighbours to grow themselves. Foels also has a very, very good monarch. Have a look at his base stats:

King of Persia - Aarif = 12.13.11.10.9.9

For comparison - my duke Guillaume = 4.7.8.4.8.6

For those who don't know, the numbers are: martial, diplomacy, intrigue, stewardship, health, fertility. In short, unless King Aarif totally fluffs his education, he's gonna be one heck of a great leader. At 16, he's also gonna be around for a fair while yet.

So does this matter to me? Well, probably not... Persia is a long way from my neighbourhood, and I'm a long way from his. The only real worry is if he continues his alliance with von R - that would certainly draw me into bloc-forming politics.

fasquardon

1077-1086 session summary

Little of interest happened in Antioch this session; I was only able to play three-fourths of it, as my Internet dropped due to a storm, and wasn't repaired until Monday. The major development was the alliance between Foelsgaard and von Rundstedt, whereby vR pledged himself as a vassal to the Seljuks, instantly becoming the heir under their elective law; Foelsgaard dispatched an assassin; and when the dust of the inheritance had settled, Foelsgaard received the Kingdom of Persia title as a reward for his efforts. Naturally I, as the vanguard of Christianity against the menace of the infidel hordes, was a bit disquieted; but there was little I could do. I therefore dispatched my brother and sister as fosterlings to far distant, Western lands, in the hope of ensuring that the Komnenus bloodline would survive even in the worst extremity, and watched the East with great attentiveness. Fortunately, the no-force-vassalisation rule prevented Foelsgaard from usefully declaring war on me right away; without claims to my lands, he could have gained little from such a war. Instead he attacked and subdued the independent emirate of Jerusalem, possibly bringing him into future conflict with Egypt - FrozenWall has stated that he regards this as his sphere of interest. He was however having his own problems with Crusaders, and did not immediately interfere. The Levant looks set to become a battleground for the three Powers neighbouring it, which can hardly surprise anyone. "When is there no war in these lands?"

I did manage to snap up the city of Tripoli, formerly a vassal of Egypt, while FrozenWall was busy elsewhere; but compared to the gain of Kingdom titles this looks rather weak.

In the absence of interesting things to relate about Antioch, I turn instead to the Immortals, since there has not been a proper list of them. There are currently 14, not all of whom are fully active - that is, several haven't been heard from for a while. As a possible point of interest, there are actually 16 Immortal slots, to go well with 12 players; so there do exist opportunities to join, even now.

I begin with those Immortals who reside in Antioch, starting in fact with my Chancellor:

ImmortalIakobos.jpg

Iakobos is a friend both of Iohannes Komnenos, currently acting as Regent for the young Holder of Military Authority by Right of Inheritance Arkadios (or 'Strategos', in the Greek; a compact language, well suited to an old civilisation), and of Strong Bektar, my Marshal. You'll observe that he is somewhat prone to chasing the ladies, and in fact this is what knits the three men together in friendship. Realising that they must either fight or else come to a sensible arrangement, they chose the latter, and have a finely-tuned system of staying out of each others' way, and of passing paramours around when they tire of them. (Or in other words, I always choose the 'become friends' option in the event "Tensions over women are causing strain".) A somewhat hedonistic court is Antioch in these closing years of the Regency, with the threat of Persian invasion always present and the distant Emperor unlikely to send much aid; even at the highest levels, "Eat, drink and be merry" is always a solution when tomorrow one might die. Next is my Marshal, the Immortal Bektar:

ImmortalBektar.jpg

Not, at this time, the greatest warrior ever; he has had little chance to practice, since the aforementioned Emperor has been requisitioning our sole regiment since the previous session. But I trust he will improve, like fine wine. Finally, Leonidas the Jew, another friend of Iohannes, although he has been unable to trade on the relationship to get an office, as he no doubt would wish:

ImmortalLeonidas.jpg

Again, there is a bit of room for improvement here; but then again, who save Christ can say otherwise?

I turn now to the enemy, those Immortals who unrighteously serve the infidel in Egypt:

ImmortalLeviathan.jpg

Observe that here I do not use my naming convention of putting the poster in parens, since the poster and Immortal names are the same. The Immortal Leviathan and the Immortal Saad are friends, but this has not saved Saad from a (no doubt temporary) exile:

ImmortalSaad.jpg

This is because Saad is at odds with - has become a rival of - the King of Egypt, Muhammad al-Awwad of the Fatimids. He'll still be edited back to the Egyptian court unless he wants to go elsewhere, though. Such useful men do not remain in exile for long!

So far I've organised them by their court of residence; we come now to Immortals far away from Antioch, where the details of what lord they serve are of less interest. Thus I organise them instead by what we've heard from them, in their own words.

The Immortal Laidech, late of Ireland, a monk by desire but a courtier by need. He advises the far-distant Prince of Gwynedd.

ImmortalLaidech.jpg

The Immortal Maciej, a Pole, a double agent in the service - perhaps! - of the Emirs of Seville.

ImmortalMaciej.jpg

The Immortal Rasputin, a man of as-yet unspecified powers, serving the Tsars.

ImmortalRasputin.jpg

And then, those who have thus far been silent, and of whom little is therefore known. Some have posted in this thread without writing AARs; others are maintaining full radio silence. This last, I note, is pleasing neither to Allah, the Spirit of Man of the Stars, or the God of Hosts.

ImmortalRadulf.jpg

ImmortalKazmir.jpg

ImmortalJakopo.jpg

ImmortalIsmael.jpg

I note in passing that if this Immortal's first AAR does not open with "Call me Ismael", I shall be most disappointed.

ImmortalZackary.jpg

ImmortalHeinrich.jpg

For those of you who do not read Ederon, these are the powers of Immortals:

• Immortals begin the game with all stats at 5 except Fertility, which is -10.
  • Immortals have two additional statistics not maintained by the game engine, named Prestige Power and Piety Power. They begin at 10 and 0 respectively. These are the amounts they add every Mifkad to the prestige and piety of their host.
  • When an Immortal leaves a court, he subtracts 3 times his prestige and piety powers from the court he leaves, provided he has been there for at least two Mifkads.
  • Immortal birthdates will be edited so that they are always 20 years old at the beginning of a session.
  • All Immortal moves or uses of power are to be made by PM to the GM, and must be in his inbox by Wednesday midnight his time, or they will be applied the following week, or ignored completely, as seems reasonable to the GM. An Immortal who is granted a title and becomes the vassal of a player is still considered to be attached to that player's court; however, if the Immortal later leaves, he takes his lands with him. If the Immortal's character becomes disloyal enough to DOW the player, this is not considered leaving his court, but also won't be edited back due to the potential for abuse.
  • Immortals may write AARs and get the usual rewards, which they can give to players if they like. Additionally, the following AAR reward is only available to Immortals: "Increase a single stat of one character by one." Prestige and Piety power may also be increased by this use; they increase by 5. Further, Immortals are an exception to the usual limitation on increasing education; they may do so once per century.
  • Immortals may duel each other by invoking the ritual phrase "THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!" In a duel, either character can survive without harm, be hurt (add 'Seriously Wounded' to the ingame character), or be killed. The chances of each are determined by their stats according to a method to be published later.
  • An Immortal who is killed (either through ingame events or by a duel) will be resurrected at the next edit time (with such traits as wounds wiped out, but with the loss of one point from a random statistic), and meanwhile cannot move and does not give any prestige; however, he may still write AARs. Example timeline:
    • Wednesday 14th: Jakalo PMs me to duel Blayne.
    • Thursday 15th: Editing time. I resolve the duel, and Jakalo wins; Blayne is killed. Jakalo's court receives Immortal prestige; Blayne's does not.
    • Saturday 17th: Game session. Kazmir is killed by an assassin.
    • Wednesday 21st: Deadline for Immortal orders. Kazmir and Blayne, being dead, can do nothing, although they can still write AARs.
    • Thursday 22nd: Edit time. Kazmir and Blayne are restored to life, with slightly reduced stats. Their courts receive prestige.
    • Notice that Kazmir's death is more temporary than Blayne's; he gives prestige both weeks. This is to avoid keeping track of who was killed in a duel and who was killed ingame: Just edit everyone back to life at the same time.
  • Immortals can go into hiding by moving to the court of a non-player character, who does not get prestige. (This is not considered leaving the host court.) In this case they cannot be dueled. However, they also cannot give their AAR rewards to players, and they must come out of hiding after a week.

Finally, for comic relief, I thought I might share the reason why Byzantium was in its usual state of quasi-meltdown:

EmperorDukas.jpg

Happily, his son has now inherited and looks to be a much better Emperor.