• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I think that it's now time for a referendum to be established in Galicia, and possibly even Catalonia to decide if they want to . . .

-Stay with Spain
-Form their own countries
-Unite with their neighbors (in Catalonia's case, they could join their Occitan brothers and unite with France)

Catalonia with the French? It's simply impossible.

Moreover, why this insistence with Galicia? She has the weakest of the three main nationalisms in Spain.

Catalonia with the French? It's simply impossible.

Moreover, why this insistence with Galicia? She has the weakest of the three main nationalisms in Spain.

Not actually impossible, as Catalonia was once part of Napoleon's Empire before. Plus the fact that the Catalans have more in common with the French than the Spanish.

Also, Galicia has suffered under the Spanish since the Germans came. With Spain under the administration of France for the time being, now is a good time to start a referendum on independence (of course I also wanted to leave Galicia with a choice on whether to join Portugal or not)

Not actually impossible, as Catalonia was once part of Napoleon's Empire before. Plus the fact that the Catalans have more in common with the French than the Spanish.

That's a joke, right?

We the Catalonians have nearly to nothing in common with the French. At least nothing more than with the Germans, the Russians or the Japanese. And, of course, the Catalonians will never accept a centralistic rule like the French one.

Also, Galicia has suffered under the Spanish since the Germans came. With Spain under the administration of France for the time being, now is a good time to start a referendum on independence (of course I also wanted to leave Galicia with a choice on whether to join Portugal or not)

Galicia has been part of Spain since it's formation, centuries ago. And before that, she was part of the Kingdom of León.

That's a joke, right?

We the Catalonians have nearly to nothing in common with the French. At least nothing more than with the Germans, the Russians or the Japanese. And, of course, the Catalonians will never accept a centralistic rule like the French one.
True, the Catalans are more likely to vote for independence, if there is a referendum.

Galicia has been part of Spain since it's formation, centuries ago. And before that, she was part of the Kingdom of León.
Yes, but Galicia has much in common with Portugal (their language is closely related to Portuguese, and that they once were a part of a unified language), so it's likely that they'll vote for union or independence.

Perhaps, but they would most likely stay with Spain as part of a Republic.

Catalonia and the Basque Country are the most likeliest of Spanish states seeking independence.

If Steiner gets his way, Catalonia will almost certainly become independent.

I agree with the proposal that we should keep these matters until the war is finished, trying to hold referendums now would just create unecessary upheaval and create opportunities for German agents to cause trouble. I also don't think that it's wise to be making too many promises about self-determination and independence- look at the utter mess the British made of Palestine after WW1.

Yes, but Galicia has much in common with Portugal (their language is closely related to Portuguese, and that they once were a part of a unified language), so it's likely that they'll vote for union or independence.

"Much in common" is more than language. Moreover, remember that all Galicians speak Spanish as well.

Anyway, let's see the new updates!

Thanks for comments, everyone! Dutch borders will be adjusted in the future, this is more like a temporary solution, Dutch received Mons and Brussels due to administrative problems of France. They probably won't mind giving them to France, as they will get tired of Walloon demands to join with France. As for Spain, I don't want to make a mess out of future allies, and France also isn't in position to play the role of liberators of minor nations. However, General Steiner will receive reward for his good work.

War of the Titans - 13

In February, UNA troops were already deep in German territory. But optimism of UNA quickly wanished when the Germns launched massive counter-offensive on entire Western Front.
war224.jpg

In East Asia, Russians were using occupied Chinese lands as industrial and resource basin that was fueling Russian war machine. Japan and her closest allies were holding Eastern Chinese mainland, while Qing Empire resisted in Northern India.
war225.jpg

Situation in Spain was getting out of control and French started to negotiate with local authorities. Spanish generals that didn't retreat with their colleagues to countinue war on German side, proposed united Spain, loyal to UNA. Due to lack of Spanish civil autorities (civil goverment collapsed), French accepted Spanish officers as reliable side for negotiations. However, there were issues about Catalonia. Some French hawks demanded that Spain should be punished by giving Catalonia to France. They also proposed that Spain would be divided into several minor states. There were also Catalan nationalists, made out of local Left-Wing nationalists that opposed Spanish monarchy in the past, and Catalan emmigration in National France, lead by General Kurt Steiner.
war226.jpg

Decision that was made by French tried to chose most suitable path for all sides. French didn't want to make weak and unstable Spain, but local interests also had to be pleased. Even more than ethnic and cultural diffrences, political diversity of Spain was taken into account. Catalonia was dominated by liberal ideas, while the rest of Spain was predominantly conservative. Even Basques supported the idea of united Spain under condition that autonomy inside Spain would be given to them. Two states were created in Iberia: Kingdom of Spain and Republic of Catalonia.
war227.jpg

Spain became a kingdom without a king. Tricky generals knew that republic wouldn't enjoy wide popular support, but royal claimants were also not to be trusted. Legitimists were on the side of Mitteleuropa while Carlists were way to extreme. Royalist claimants were declared unsuitable for power due to their ''unhonourable role'' (Legitimists cooperation with Mitteleuropa and Carlist violent fight for power), and regency was established. Spain was stripped of her overseas possessions (taken by France and Portugal), while Gibraltar was left to Spain as sign of trust by UNA. Catalonia became independent republic. Kurt Steiner had returned to his homeland and was elected for President of Republic. He created the goverment of national unity to rule Catalonia in those harsh times. Both Spain and Catalonia started with reconstruction. (I changed colour of Catalonia to more republican Light Brown later, as Golden looked like too royalist/Carlist)
war234.jpg

Germans were transfering their troops from Eastern Front to the West to stop UNA advance. UNA air forces were trying to stop those reinforcements from reaching the frontline.
war228.jpg

Confederates were at the gates of Hamburg, but now they are being pushed back.
war229.jpg

Germans even managed to launch airborne assault against Crete and island was in German hands again.
war230.jpg

Norwegian troops landed in Dunkerque. Canadians detected and destroyed German light carrier SMS Afrika.
war231.jpg

UNA aircraft started to bomb Norwegians in Dunkerque.
war232.jpg

UNA forces in Germany established defense line and took some rest to regain lost power.
war233.jpg

In 8 March, UNA offensive in Germany is launched again.
war235.jpg

UN troops are now knocking on the gates of great cities of Kiel, Hamburg, Lubeck, Leipzig and Dresden, Bavaria is conquered.
war236.jpg

French troops land in Sicily, opening another front.
war237.jpg

In April, Germans launch another massive counter-offensive, pushing UNA back to positions from March.
war238.jpg

Sicily is captured, Le Muffen's helicopters fly towards Naples.
war239.jpg

If you keep pushing on into Germany you risk massive losses and nuclear war. Pull back to a defensive borer and deal with their allies.

+1. A desesperate nuclear power is no good. And a good showdown with a ressurgent germany would be cool.

Ok, what you have done with the Baleares and the Canarias is quite weird. :p

Time for peace talks?

At least Germany's still giving you a run for your money.

It's good to see a friendly face in Catalonia :D
Also @ lol at the Norwegians in Dunkerque.

Oh yeah!

But, could you get me rid of Carod Rovira, please? I can't stand him. The Catalan Head of State is nice and cute, but the HoG is not too much. May I suggest a fictionary character called "Jordi Culé" :D?

The pic:

pic_119.jpg

Oh yeah!

But, could you get me rid of Carod Rovira, please? I can't stand him. The Catalan Head of State is nice and cute, but the HoG is not too much. May I suggest a fictionary character called "Jordi Culé" :D?

Since I'm the other Catalonian here, I demand to be the HoG! Carles Marlou for HoG!