• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Enjoy your vacations ! :D

@Karaiskandar: It depends on plans of supreme command. I noticed I forgot to answer you on question about my defense strategy: I rather build more less modern units than upgrade existing ones, because I have threats on all borders and need to reinforce those holes in defense.

Yes, it makes sense. A very different position from OTL France, who enjoy the luxury to have no threats on borders.

aaah! Turkish you kill them yes!

get-your-own.jpg

Last edited:
Ministry of Defence
Algiers, French National Republic
16 October 2004
0005 hrs

In early morning hours, political and military peak of French republic gathered at meeting in ministry of defence. President Dassault had the first word.

- Gentlemen, we're in war for two weeks already, but we haven't achieved any real results. Reports are always the same. We can easily describe this conflict with a few sentences. Turkey accused us for sabotage in their port in Cyprus and attacked us. Real shame, we had quite normal relations with Ankara. I still can't understand what really happened, but the fact is that we're in war now. In the first day, Turks launched their arsenal of cruise missiles at us. Quite annoying, because Tunis and Bone were badly battered by those missiles. Industrial zones were heavily damaged and Dassault aircraft factory in Bone was razed to the ground. Not to mention that port of Tunis was attacked just when entire Ferdinand Foch Strike Group dwelled in harbour. Fleet carrier Jaques Massu was badly damaged, along with many other ships of this strike group. Other carriers of strike group had more luck, but they also aren't in very good shape. Ferdinand Foch Strike Group is practically disabled for some time. To make things even worse, commander of strike group and supreme commander of our navy admiral Battet was inspecting his ships in time of attack and he was wounded in chaos that caught him and his fleet.

Prime minister Jaques Chirac continued. - Luckily our navy is still very strong, but we'll need new man to command our glorious La Royale until admiral Battet gets better. Admiral will recover, but we don't know how long will this take. Admiral also said that he isn't certain if he'll return to position of supreme commander when he gets better, he said there's a great chance he'll return only to active duty of fleet commander as he loves his fleet, but he isn't sure if he'll be able to operate with two positions in the future, so he would rather abandon place of chief of navy. That's why we'll need capable man who is able to take this position also for a long term if neccessary.

- And we'll also need a good plan to end this war. - President Dassault said. - Ankara refused to negotiate for peace and we must force them to end this war. Lucikly they ran out of cruise missiles as it seems, they probably spare the rest of their arsenal to use it against Arab oilfields and important instalations if hostile neighbours decide to attack them. Missile attacks stopped in first week of war, we didn't respond with similar missile attacks as we need to spare our capacities for more important oportunity and we also wanted to establish peace talks. We won't use our missiles in this war, but we must force our enemies to stop this madness. As you know, Turkish submarins are raiding our lone military ships and merchant convoys in Mediterranean Sea. We always thought that Turks didn't work much on their naval capacities, but it seems they established quite a strong submarine force to annoy their enemies. They are using mostly fine German submarines and they aren't easy to discover. Part of navy was assigned to hunt for them in West Mediterranean Sea. Our airforce is also taking part in this mission. As for airforce, we didn't spot any of enemy aircraft yet, but our airforce also isn't able to launch any serious operations in Eastern Mediterranean as we don't have any bases there. Turks have strong airforce and it's risky to move our Philippe Petain Strike Group there as we aren't sure if planes from carriers would be enough to counter enemy air fleets. This strike group was luckily left intact as it was based in Portugal when worst attacks happened. The bad thing is that this strike group deploys only one fleet carrier, other two carriers are light carriers and this fleet doesen't have such a strong firepower as Ferdinand Foch Strike Group has.

President Dassault looked at gathered officers. - We already made several defense plans for such events before this conflicts, but it seems they aren't very useful. Nobody really expected this war. We're planning to launch serious operations against the enemy in one week, but we need to make everything ready first.

Door of confederence room opened and a man came in room. All people that were gathered at large round conference desk in the middle of the place looked at him. Weak lights from small lamps, computers and big screens with maps on the walls make the guest even more misterious. The man approached the desk and he could be seen now. He was dressed in very elegant old-fashioned dress. All of his attributes pointed at his position in the very top of society. Handsome and well-mannered man spoke in perfect, a bit archaic French language.

- Gentlemen, forgive me for this unpleasant delay, I couldn't arrive in right time. I hope I didn't miss too much. Admiral Philippe d'Orléans Duc de France, commander of Philippe Petain Strike Group, at your service.

General Dassault stood up and greeted admiral. - Welcome, admiral. It's better to arrive too late than never. Have a sit, we'll be happy if you'll help us with your knowledge and experiences to find good solution for this conflict.

Duc de France answered. - Thank you. I already made a rough defence sheme during drive to ministry. If you don't mind, I'd present it to you, but I will of course wait a bit if someone else intends to present his plan right now. I don't want to jump over the que.

President Dassault turned to other officers. - Well, we were planning to listen to suggestions right now. Has anyone any good ideas? - High ranking commanders started to look at each other, it seemed that some of them even fell asleep, one of commanders even played games on his mobile phone. – Hey, we're in serious crisis and you sleep and play games on meeting of crucial importance?! - Silent voice from somewhere protested against President's critique in grumpy tone. - Does he think that we're Germans or what? Angered Marechal turned back to Duc de France. – If nobody doesen't have any suggestions, it's time that admiral Philippe presents his plan.

Presidental Office
16 October 2004
0013 hrs

AAR1-1.jpg

Minister of the interior Lois Nicolas Bonaparte seemed to be very upset. - President, you need to call off him, why did you name this man for position of chief of navy?

President Dassault was surprised because of reaction of his minister. - Well, mister Bonaparte, he is very capable man and he has the best plan. Strange, I didn't hear much about him before, this must be because of my work, I barely have any time to know people better and to inform myself about social issues. I don't care who he is, the thing is that he's real professional. Right man for this job!

- Marechal, you don't know this man, please, remove him from this position!

- Lois Nicolas, do you envy him or what? According to his name and character, he seems to be a member of nobility. Is there any rivarly between you and him?

- Of course not, altough he really is a noble. And this is main problem. He is royalist claimant to French throne!

- Interesting, where are all you nobles hidding? So many claimants, and I don't know anything about that?

- Well, we nobles don't use our titles to achieve positions in republic, our France isn't monarchy, after all. But this Duc de France really is a show-off, entire North Coast knows him. If you know social life of highest classes well, you can't miss him.

- I don't care much for those things, I have more important work to do.

- Indeed. But I know about situation and I know this man is not to be trusted.

- Oh, don't be so suspicious, Lois Nicolas. I'll have two nobles in my goverment, isn't this nice?

- But Marechal, he is a Bourbon!

- And you are a Bonaparte. Can you please spare me with your private rivalry? Nobility means nothing here, you need to get over with him.

- But sire, he is connected with largest opposition party, far right Action Francaise, led by Segolene Royal!

- Can you prove that, mister Bonaparte? Is he member of this party? And even if he is member of Action Francaise, my party has majority in both chambers and I'm President of the Republic. There's no danger at all.

- He isn't member of Action Francaise, but he has strong connections with party! Sire, don't you know they want to restore ancien regime, Bourbon kingdom? Leader of Action Francaise Charles Maurras pressed on Marechal Petain in late 1930s and in early 1940s to allow Count of Paris to take the throne and restore the monarchy. Some historical sources even say that most radical monarchists planned to assassinate Marechal Darlan in late 1940s, so they could restore the kingdom.

President laughed. - What a joke, will you Bonapartes then restore Empire? Please stop with such nonsense, his plan is wonderful. We'll win this war.

- As you wish, President. I warned you. You know, it's important that you're encirled by people that really enjoy your trust. You never know what can happen one day.
Louis Nicolas Bonaparte left the office and President was thinking about those words for some minutes. Then he reached for a phone. - Pierre, please inform general staff that we have a meeting today at 7 pm in ministry of defence. Thanks.

butler.jpg

Prince Philippe d'Orléans, Count of Paris, Duke of France, admiral of Marine Nationale and commander of Philippe Petain Strike Group.

Military airbase near Nicosia
Cyprus, Turkish Federation
27 October 2004
0002 hrs

mirage_2000.jpg

French paratroopers had landed in Southern Cyprus and quickly captured all key points in South of island. It seemed that plan of Duc de France was working perfectly. Philippe Petain Strike Group under command of admiral Philippe d'Orléans moved in East Mediterranean to distract the enemy. French planes took off the carriers and striked Turkish defence instalations in Beirut and Tripoli, but there was no sign of Turkish airforce. Turks probably didn't expect French invasion in their territory and Cyprus was poorly defended. When massive French fleet appeared at Lebanese coast, Turks reinforces defences in Lebanon and Syria, but left Cyprus almost undefended. Two brigades of elite paratroopers landed in Southern Cyprus and advanced in island without serious challenge. Main military airfield on the island was fine airbase, being able to shelter entire air fleet. It was defended only by regiment of Turkish military police and was quickly secured by paratroopers. Other key points were also secured without larger problems. There was no real army in Cyprus, island was defended only by some small units of various reserve forces and other security formations. Just after main military airfield was taken, French planes started to land in Cyprus. Entire wing of eight squadrons of Mirage 2000 fighters arrived at airfield. In next days, brigade of paratroopers moved North and rest of the island was secured. Important foothold in East Mediterranean was gained for French republic.​

aar1.jpg

aar12.jpg

aar3.jpg

Clark Gable! You've turned Clark Gable into some friggin' french!!!!!

Why not Russell Crowe?!?!?!

Why not Hugh Grant!?!?!?!

No, Clark Gable.

Snif, snif...

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

PS: Hang Sarkoparte ASAP.

Last edited:
Cyprus was a first step, but I'm sure that we'll need more to bring the Turks to the negotiating table.

Will you release Cyprus as an independent nation? Indeed take down the Turks! Tear them apart! Conquer their lands! :rofl:

The Reconquista (french version) has begun, lets start with Turkey :D

Tim

Slightly silly of the Turks to start a war without first making sure that their country is properly defended. Looks like their main hope now is for the French government to fall a part from within.

I see you're Authoritarian now :D.

Also, how do you plan on dividing Turkey?

Cyprus will make a nice base for making life difficult for the Turks - good move I'd say.

far right Action Francaise, led by Segolene Royal!
That made me laugh :D

Cyprus will make a nice base for making life difficult for the Turks - good move I'd say.

That made me laugh :D

I'm in shock :rofl:

Presidental Office
30 October 2004
0012 hrs

- President, now you can see the briliant mind of so-called Duke of France. No wonder that Cyprus was almost empty, it was a trap!

- This is war, Lois Nicolas, war is unpredictable!

- Operation was performed way too over-ambitious, President. So-called Duke of France was showing-off again and he caused giant mistake! Entire two brigades of elite paratroopers were lost!

- Please calm down, minister. War isn't lost yet.

- President, you know how to play chess. Turks proved to be better players. They have sacraficed their island to destroy two of our elite units.

- We weren't so bad, our planes fought them away.

- Too late! Our planes managed to take off when everything was already over.

- Minister, everything isn't so black. At least our planes on the island stayed almost untouched. They were sheltered in concrete hangars during attack.

- That's true, but the runway was so cratered that planes couldn't take off in time to prevent slaughtering of our troops.

- What happened is gone and lost forever, we must continue the war.

- What about the Duke of France?

- I don't want to hear a word about him, Lois Nicolas. I won't be wasting energy for search of new supreme commander of navy.

- But Sire…

- This wasn't his fault. It was enemy surprise, we couldn't do anything about that. I heard that massive protests against the war are going on all over the country. Some are turning violent. I hope that police is ready. After all, this is your work. Leave military affrairs for soldiers.

aar4.jpg

Turkish trap was well planned and performed. When entire Cyprus was secured by French paratroopers, small Turkish fleet distracted French strike group. Thinking that small Turkish raid will lead to battle with entire Turkish navy, admiral Philippe followed Turkish ships into Sea of Crete. Near the island of Rhodes battle between navies took place. In fact, entire Turkish fleet retreated to avoid contact with stronger enemy. Only one Turkish frigate was sunk by French ships.

aar5-1.jpg

During chase for Turkish navy, the worst happened in Cyprus. Like out of nowhere, waves of Turkish aircraft appeared over Cyprus and attacked French units on the island. Strikes on airbase where French planes were stationed prevented planes to leave hangars and take off. Runway was badly damaged.

aar6.jpg

One brigade of French paratroopers was soon wiped out. French ships returned to Levant Sea and fighters from carriers were assigned to fight Turkish planes above the Cyprus. Carrier air groups distracted Turks and French planes on Cyprus were free to take off after less damaged part of runway was found.

aar8.jpg

Heavy dogfights were taking place over the Cyprus as Turkish and French air forces clashed together. Turkish air fleets were soon battered and forced to retreat. But just before the defeated Turkish planes disappeared, another strong wing of Turkish planes appeared and wiped out the second brigade of paratroopers. This enemy group then quickly retreated together with first group of Turkish planes.

event_1.jpg

Onslaught in Cyprus caused flaming reactions at home. People were enraged because so many soldiers were lost. If causing even more trouble at home was part of Turkish plan, their plan was very successful. French republic had to face bitter events in battlefield and their results at home.

Sucks to see your paratroopers get plastered by the Turkish airforce. The vulnerability of ground forces to airpower is something you have to be very careful about in MDS.

Still, President Dassault must stand firm and continue the fight. If the air force can succeed in destroying the Turkish airforce, then you could easily devastate the Turkish army with your own ground attacks.

Also, are your allies going to contribute in any way to the fight against the Turks? Will Canada or Russia send air or naval support? Might they also send in ground forces to help you?

Great update, and nice to see this AAR continuing again.

Oh...that's a lesson we've learned the hard way: Airpower rules. :(
Now it's time for a more carefully planned operation.

Great update, too bad about the Turks air support screwing your paratroopers up.

Actually if you don't mind me asking, where did you get your sprites, they look great?

A modern version of Gallipoli, I see... :D

Dumb anti-war protesters, trying to cramp your style!

@Kaiser_Mobius: Despite being allied with strong powers like Russia, Tzar obviosly doesen't care too much about events in Mediterranean and there isn't any Russian presence at all. No navy, no airforce, nothing. But this is quite understandable since Russia doesen't have access to Black Sea and is trapped in the North. As for other allies, they didn't appear for now, but you never know, maybe they can change their minds in the future. ;)

@Karaiskandar: Honestly, I didn't expect they have so strong airforce. I really need to be more careful in the future.

@Sectorknight21: I'm using sprites from Design Mod Project.

@Kurt_Steiner: Just without ANZAC. :p

@SovietAmerika: Damn hippies... :D:D:D

Thanks for comments, everyone!

Last edited: