• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
yep, I am Still under Canadian rule I see....How is Canada and Québec in your history? I saw the chapter on Canada's military forces, but is Québec still trying to become independant?

Last edited:
Other neutral nations

Republic of China is rising power in Asia. Eternal enemy of Qing Empire and AlgOstAsien GmbH has one main goal: Unification of China. But one thing must be done to achieve this objective: All foreign imperial ambitiouns must be removed from Chinese soil. Despite being republic, Republican China was never democratic country. Bitter fight for independence during and after Changsha revolution demanded centralized and authoritarian goverment. Revolution was led by former Chinese officers of AlgOstAsien security forces who had enough of tyrany of foreign corporations over Chinese people. Republican thinkers who participated in revolution weren't strong enough to successfuly press for their ideals and result was dominance of military officers over new state. Long rule of military juntas disabled efficient democratic system, but centralized economic planning that was performed by leaders changed already very developed part of China into well industrialized state. Many investments were also drawn from foreign countries in last decades, mainly from Canada, Australasian Confederation and Pacific States of America. Japanese Empire invited Chinese republic into Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere several times, but the fact that Japan would never accept incorporation of Manchuria into Chinese republic prevented Republican China from approaching Japanese bloc. Quick development of Republican China also gave strong boost to Chinese self-confidience and most of Chinese generals strongly oppose the idea of China being servant of Japan. Republican China is worthy foe to be dealt with. Huge manpower reserves provide more than enough candidates for professional army that defends Chinese republic against it's mortal enemies. Weapons are mainly exported from Russia(which is 2nd largest arms exporter after CSA). One fleet carrier that is part of navy was built with Canadian help in 1990s, while National France lately exported several Dassault Mirage 2000 fighters to China. In the North, Mongolia missed the oportunity to restore the glorious empire from the ancient past and stayed isolated absolutist monarchy. Silent Japanese support protects it from being partitioned between Russia and Qing Empire.

NTR9.jpg

Persia is providing Europe with oil trough pipeline via Caucasus. Shah is good friend of Germany and strong army is equiped with German weapons. Many elements from ancient Persia were revived to underline the might of modern Persia. There is still some resistance against Persian rule in mountains of Azerbaijan and Armenia, but strong presence of Persian troops in region prevents any serious actions. Especially important Baku oil fields are heavily guarded to prevent sabotages. Shah has even revived Immortals as imperial guard and elite units. They are divided into several groups which operate as imperial guard, special forces and heavy combat units. Persia claims that Immortals maintain strenght of exactly 10.000 men. In neighbouring Afghanistan, Hamid Karzai has managed to unite fractured country and important trade routes that pass Afghanistan bring some wealth to this state. Another pipeline from Persia passes Afghanistan and supplies Qing Empire with oil.

NTR8.jpg

Three Arab countries with diffrent political systems are dwelling in Middle East. Despite political diffrences they cooperate in fear of Turkish revanchism. Egypt is authoritarian constitutional monarchy, Iraq is republic under dictatorship of Arab nationalists, while Saudi Arabia is absolutist monarchy. Iraq and Saudi Arabia are also important providers of oil for Europe, altough they also export oil to Japan and it's allies, American Union State, Pacific States of America, Canada, National France, Republic of China and to various neutral countries. This puts Iraq and Saudi Arabia into circle of richest nations. Egypt sticks with Iraq and Saudi Arabia in fear of Turkish threat, but Cairo often grumbles about Germans controling Suez Canal. On the other hand, Egypt wants to keep Germans near as kingdom borders with two Syndicalist nations.

NTR7.jpg

Similar as Republican China, Turkey is also republic governed by military junta. There is still a lot of anger in Turkey because Germans didn't save old allies from Arab enemies. Turkey is a strong force to be reckoned with. Massive land army and strong air force make it worthy opponent, altough navy is very weak since general staff focused on land and air forces. Greece tries to maintain good relations with all neighbours to prevent any tensions with Mitteleurop. German investments for tourism are also encouraged in Greece and peaceful policy is led by goverment to maintain status quo. However, some strong circles in Greek politics and military still wait for right oportunity to avenge bitter defeats of Greece one day. Romania is also facing isolation, altough unpleasant position is getting better with new Romanian goverment making closer ties with Turkey and Greece. Russian intelligence and diplomacy are also very active in Romania, using country as espionage outpost in Europe.

NTR4.jpg

South Africa is country that is very friendly towards Entente. South African goverment allows armed forces of Entente nations to use ports and airfields in South Africa. Being neutral nation friendly to Entente, Portugal is leading similar policy as South Africa. Naval and air forces of Entente are welcomed guests in Portugese ports and airfields. Ireland doesen't care much about major alliances. Entire island is united under Republic of Ireland since the Syndicalist revolution in Britain. Military has strong role in society since army is seen as defender of national unity, independence and soveregnity.

NTR3.jpg

People of Sweden, Norway and Denmark enjoy very high standard of living and well developed democratic system. Three neutral kingdoms of Scandinavia try to maintain good relations with everyone. They have strong commercial ties with many nations. As strongest nation in Scandinavia, Sweden is playing role of big brother and protects Norway and Denmark from all threats. Three Scandinavian monarchies cooperate in many issues of defense. Sweden has strong defense industry which is efficient guarantee of neutrality together with diplomacy and commerce.

NTR6.jpg

Iceland was granted independence by Denmark in 1940. Canada managed to prevent Syndicalist influences and became protector of Iceland. Canada is still keeping eye on Iceland, altough those two nations are not connected with any formal agreements. Panama Canal fell under Canadian protection during civil war in USA. Due to rising influence of Syndicalism in Central America, Canada, USA and Panama signed agreement of transfer of Panama Canal to Republic of Panama, which was granted permanent neutrality. Even Syndicalists agreed to respect neutrality of Panama since ships of all nations were allowed to pass trough the Canal. This proved to be a wise decision as Panama was the only nation of Central America that didn't fall under rule of Syndicalist Centroamerica. Safety of both Panama and Canal were guaranteed this way, and relations between all blocs improved a bit. Switzerland is neutral country in Central Europe. It's permanent neutrality is protected by international treaties, by strong army based on militia system, and by banks that offer safety for all kinds of treasures to everyone. Swiss also invented the internet.

NTR5.jpg

Bah, even in a setting descended from Kaiserriech Scandinavia is still irritatingly prosperous and all-round nice! :mad:

It should be fun to see what happens in the Middle East- on the one hand a lot of nations appear to have expansionists ambitions, but on the other hand oil is vitally important for both the suppliers and consumers so it's less likely anyone will be willing to do anything rash.

Democracies I see, I like Republican China at least.

many possibilities for new Entente allies here. I definitely urge you to start getting the ROC, South Africa, Portugal, and as many Scandinavian countries into the Entente as you can, along with the United States. Together, you will have a real fighting chance against not only the Syndicalists but even Mitteleuropa itself.

Well it seems that in this Universe as well, our Scandinavian brothers are bound to be neutral and prosperous countries. Good for them ! :D

@CatKnight: Future will show if USA can restore their old glory. It's honour to have Demi Moderator on board, welcome!

@General Hoth: Wish for independence of Québec is still very strong. There were also some issues with Québec in the past, I'll present them in next updates(presentations/history book are over and narrative/gameplay part follows). I can only tell that CSA is maintaining connections with Syndicalists in Québec and defeat of Canada may result in independent Québec. There are also a lot of debates about Québec in National France, many French think that republic should protect all French people around the globe in better way. But nobody wants to ruin relations with Canada in such dangerous times and Marechal Dassault sees good relations with allies above other issues.

@Everyone: As for Scandinavia, I didn't want to search some unrealistic paths just because they would look more interesting. Despite many things in this alternate world are pretty crazy, most of them follow KR canon and potential changes in original scenario. With Syndicalism in Europe gone, Norway wouldn't be exposed to influence of radical ideologies(both Left-Wing and Right-Wing) and would rather stayed in moderate path of Scandinavian monarchies. I don't see any other good options for Sweden and Denmark. Unified Scandinavia? Maybe, but how would this change the political relations? Crazy Scandinavian Empire that tries to conquer the world? You can also see that many potential allies exist. But you must also take in account that most of normal leaders wouldn't just risk to counter might of Mitteleuropa to join weaker Entente, this is important fact for neutral European nations like Greece, Portugal and Romania. Entente must first prove to be strong alliance that can change the current world order. Greeks probably wouldn't want to join Entente just to be bombed back into stone age even before French and Canadians could successfully invade European mainland. You can also see that I must be careful with picking new allies. Brining Turkey closer to Entente makes Egypt, Iraq and maybe even Saudi Arabia more hostile towards me. Republican China would also make strong ally, but this would also mean great risk for relations with Japan. Thank you for comments!

Algiers, 23 April 2003

- Minister of the interior is gone. - police prefect of Algiers reported. - We are searching his office for any clues, it seems he fleed in panic. We found his computer fragmented, probably he shot into it with firearm. Drawer with documents was also put on fire, fortunately men from RAID broke into office before the flames could spread, but archives are destroyed. We don't know if he took anything with him. We suspect he is armed and dangerous. Police Nationale activated all forces in search of fugitive.

- He couldn't just vanish. - Marshal Dassault responded. - Gendarmerie Nationale was also tasked to search him, there is strict control at borders, ports and airports. There's no chance he can escape.

- I'm afraid there is still a big chance that he will successfuly disappear. According to our investigation, he has strong web of friends here and abroad.

- Damn it, and we still don't know what's really going about!

Prefect nodded. - We are still investigating, but we still can't discover paths of data transfers that originated in ministry. We only know that minister had contacts with misterious man called Fortified Penguin. He communicated with him via highly secured network, but as I already said, we can't discover anything about this Fortified Penguin. He is probably using very advanced technology.

- However, you are doing good work, prefect. I would really need someone with high abilities to get things in ministry in order. I trusted minister Du Neville too much. Hell, he was a mole! And we don't even know for who was he working for. Prefect, I name you for new minister of interior. Make sure that such things won't happen again.

Police prefect was surprised. - Marechal, are you sure? This decision is very hasty, I'm not ready for such position yet...

- Nonsense, you are capable man! Our administration is crawled with corruption, I need someone of your abilities here. But there is one thing I need to know about you. Are you connected in any way to Bonapate dynasty? My memory doesen't allow me to memorize surnames of all people on high position, and just now I noticed that your surname is Bonaparte...

- It's quite a complex situation, Marechal. You know, there were always Bonapartist claimants in France that wished to take the French throne again. There was always main line of pretenders, but more distant relatives were always ready to step on their place, just in case if anything was wrong. Such issue happened when Napoleon Eugene Louis Jean Joseph, son of Napoleon III, served in British army and was killed in Africa. Line that descended from Napoleon III ended this way. New line continued Bonapartist legacy under Napoleon Victor Jerome Frederic Bonaparte. As you know, his son lived in Quebec and took part in Quebecan secession in 1942.

- Oh yes, I know about that revolt. It was sad thing because we didn't aid our brothers in Quebec, but we were too weak and needed our Canadian allies...

- Indeed. As you know, Louis Jerome Victor Emmanuel Leopold Marie Bonaparte was great supporter of Quebecan independence. He was even chosen for leader of Quebecan independence movement. In early 1942, Quebec separated in response to Canadian law on centralization. Canadians probably wanted to strenghten country against threat from the South that came from Syndicalist CSA. Centralized federation was seen as recipe for strong Canada by Canadian goverment. Louis Napoleon was chosen for president of independent despite Canadian demands that Quebec stops with acts of independent nation.

quebec_1.jpg

Goverment of independent Quebec.

- Fortunately violence was avoided. - said Marechal.

- Yes, Quebec rejoined with Canada under condition of nullification of centralization law. Law was nullified, but Canadians wanted to put most important organizers of secession on trial. Fortunately, they all escaped to French Republic and were protected there. Louis Napoleon was very disappointed because French Republic didn't help Quebec. He moved from public life and even surrendered his imperial succession right. This right passed on my family after that.

- Interesting, honestly I didn't know that Bonapartist claimants still exist! - said surprised Marshal.

- This step was done in silence and most of people didn't know anything about that. My father came from more distant branch of Bonaparte. He migrated from French mainland when Syndicalist revolution started. I am Prince Imperial now, and formal claimant to French imperial throne.

- That's amusing! You're the heir of Napoleon! Louis Nicolas Bonaparte, congratulations. You are the new minister of the interior.

action1.jpg

cabinet2.jpg

Hm, I wonder what Du Neville is up to! :D

Awesome.
That mole affair is pretty scary...the Minister of Interior, the man who knew most of the Republic secrets was a traitor ! :eek:

Btw Louis Nicolas's face reminds me of someone...but who ? :D

Mmmmh... last time France (any) had a chum with a face like that, she got invaded by the Germans, mind you... :D

Ok, now I'm in! Québec separatism and a Bonaparte? Excellent!

By the way, it's Québécois, not Quebecan.

Algiers, 6 May 2003

It was important day for Marshal Dassault as he was planning to present new course of republic to his cabinet.

- Welcome gentlemen, we meet again. As you all know, comminision for finance and economy delivered their report to me today. And what does this report say? Well, commision had researched trends in our economy since 1993. And things don't look good. I always said not to trust smart guys in private sector. More than ten years I am listening liberal lies how state intervention in economy is bad! And here are results of those lies! Economy is ruined, Franc is worthless, we only import from abroad and export very little!

economy_3.jpg

economy_5.jpg

- Dear gentlemen, we won't be old fools who let to be blackmailed by oligarchs and tycoons any more. Today, things will change. First step will be ban of state aid for private business. They hate the state anyway, why do they need our help? They like our money, but they don't like our demands. Enough of this foolishness!

economy_6.jpg

- Lost private investments will be substituted with state investments. Our finance experts and economists have helped with preparing improved laws that will improve situation in our economy. First packet of laws will be sent to parliament tomorrow. Since Union for the Republic has majority in both chambers, there's no fear that laws won't be confirmed. What do new laws bring to our economy? State will become 51% owner in every larger company. Private owners that will have to retreat, they will be chosen by professional commisions, will receive compensation for their loss. Private initiative in small business will stay free, but taxes will be increased. Military industrial complex which is mainly state owned will receive more financial aid. Our defense suffered enough, it's time to put it back on it's feet.

economy_2.jpg

economy_1.jpg

- Our industry won't be rotting any more. State will help with investments to less developed regions in the South. Those areas need to be industrialized. What if we lose our industrial parts in Algerian coast in case of war? French republic is knocked out of war for sure. Private investors are behaving like there can never be another war. How naive! There are Syndicalist, Germans and other enemies. All those just wait for sign of our weakness to tear as apart. And we're very close to this! Our defense industry is quickly losing technological advantage because there are not enough financial, material and human resources for successful development. Only aircraft industry is still working, and without Russians sharing some of their technology with us, we would be in stone age. Things will change now. If there won't be positive results until Christmas, there is no future for our republic.

economy_4.jpg

economy_8.jpg

aar2.jpg