• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
that is some great new about supplies, also the fact that unprotected capital ships can be sunk by submarines, now will see when we buy if the naval combat is reworked... Hope there will be another diary about it... :rolleyes:

About that: reducing the 'damage_modifiers' for naval combat does help a lot!

Do you have a suggestion for these values?

NAVAL_COMBAT_ORG_DICE_SIZE = 8,
NAVAL_COMBAT_STR_DICE_SIZE = 3,
NAVAL_COMBAT_CRITICAL_HIT_DAMAGE_MUL = 10,
NAVAL_COMBAT_CRITICAL_HIT_DAMAGE_CHANCE = 10,
NAVAL_COMBAT_ORG_DAMAGE_MODIFIER = 1,
NAVAL_COMBAT_STR_DAMAGE_MODIFIER = 1,

I like this.:cool:

No, but that should be looked into.

That's very important. In a current game, my CV-fleet (4 CV, 4 CA, 6 CL, 6 DD) looses all 4 CA's in every bigger battle.
I replaced the 4 CA for 3 times till now..and only the CA's

However, we have done more than just improve the AI. Naval combat has been rebalanced, mainly to address the issue with huge super fleets. Players are now ill advised to stack 10 battleships into a single fleet and sailing around swatting everything, all due to the reworked stacking penalty system. Fleets now get a positioning malus for every point of hull size above a certain limit, mitigated by commander skill. Unreasonably huge fleets suffer a crippling penalty, meaning their targeting becomes very poor, and they are also liable to take more damage.

I dont like such system absolutely. Jutland like battles are out of model. This is stupid. Read several books about navy then model it.

1. What about AI's unlimited naval range? Are you removing it or only hiding via this new island hopping AI?
2. Can I block off the Med owning Gibraltar and Suez?

Sounds very promising.

1. What about AI's unlimited naval range? Are you removing it or only hiding via this new island hopping AI?
2. Can I block off the Med owning Gibraltar and Suez?

So far, we've never been able to reproduce the bug with enemy fleets passing through blocked straits, though it is a priority to get it fixed. AI naval range is not supposed to be unlimited. It's also on the todo list.

Now, as a little bonus, I can reveal that we are working on some changes to the supply system. Specifically, it will be possible to set up convoys between points in your home area, thus injecting supplies directly into distant ports, even if there is a land connection to your capital. The example convoy in the screenshot between Los Angeles and San Francisco is of course pointless, but you get the principle; say that Italy holds the entire Mediterranean coast down to Alexandria. In that case, a convoy between Taranto and Alexandria should be quite helpful. Same thing with a German convoy from Kiel to a conquered Archangelsk, etc.

Does this include an option/feature that allows you to supply your own troops while in allied territory?

I dont like such system absolutely. Jutland like battles are out of model. This is stupid. Read several books about navy then model it.

I actually read quite a few books since I was 12 and I agree with that decision. Power projection in such a scale and so effective was just stupid.

So far, we've never been able to reproduce the bug with enemy fleets passing through blocked straits, though it is a priority to get it fixed. AI naval range is not supposed to be unlimited. It's also on the todo list.

Come on, we have provided countless examples. I will try to provide some more if necessary.

Will the AI protect its convoys better, currently it looks like the AI only finds raiders/subs by accident, ie. if no fleet passes through an area (because it needs to go elsewhere) there will be no active countermeasure in that area?

I'm glad you design it to be more interesting than real life where battleships battles after the sinking of Bismark and a few clashes in the Mediterranean didn't really occur (the Japanese kamikaze attack with its battleship never encountered an enemy battleship I think).

The convoy on same landmass will be very interesting for players, I hope the AI will be equal good at using it and protecting it. If some of the parameters for when its interesting for the AI to use it are made mod-able it would be great.

Come on, we have provided countless examples. I will try to provide some more if necessary.
I guess they'll need a savegame of a fleet before they're passing a blocked straight. Once the fleet is in the Med, there's nothing they can do to reproduce the buggy effect of it going through the straight.

Hi,
will the AI now properly assign CAGs to the carriers again?

Regards,
Chromos

Do you have a suggestion for these values?

NAVAL_COMBAT_ORG_DICE_SIZE = 8,
NAVAL_COMBAT_STR_DICE_SIZE = 3,
NAVAL_COMBAT_CRITICAL_HIT_DAMAGE_MUL = 10,
NAVAL_COMBAT_CRITICAL_HIT_DAMAGE_CHANCE = 10,
NAVAL_COMBAT_ORG_DAMAGE_MODIFIER = 1,
NAVAL_COMBAT_STR_DAMAGE_MODIFIER = 1,

I use these values:
Code:
	NAVAL_COMBAT_ORG_DAMAGE_MODIFIER = 0.2,
	NAVAL_COMBAT_STR_DAMAGE_MODIFIER = 0.1,

Naval battles last much longer this way, and it is quite possible to lose org. before being destroyed. But the thresholds for the different stances are also very important, and too low in vanilla HoI3 IMHO.

On the other hand, I can agree with the view that naval battles should only even start if the sides are more or less the same strength, or the stronger fleet forces the weaker to fight due to speed.