• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
great mod, having a lot of fun!

one thing though, just received my first 'free' SS div, Das Reich. It's a lvl 6 armored div.(Panther II) seems a bit much. wouldn't it be better to give it some starting exp. to simulate it's elite status?

great mod, having a lot of fun!?

That's good to hear. I am glad you like it.

one thing though, just received my first 'free' SS div, Das Reich. It's a lvl 6 armored div.(Panther II) seems a bit much. wouldn't it be better to give it some starting exp. to simulate it's elite status?

The SS Das Reich was a level 5 division in the previous version of the mod (v0.4). I increased it to level 6 because the Soviets get 16 more free divisions than they did previously; events give them 38 free guards divisions instead of only 22. Also, I added three new events, each of which gives the USA three marine divisions, three transport ships, and three destroyers that will be placed in Casablanca and Tunis if the USA controls them, and also in Plymouth at the appropriate time to encourage the USA AI to invade Italy and France. Play the mod for a couple more years, and if you still feel that level 6 is too high, I will change Das Reich back to level 5 in the next release.

how to make infrastructer ... i haveto techs needed at least i think i do... or is this wad

I did not change anything related to building province infrastructure. You can build it just like in vanilla; on the map, click on the province where you want to build the infrastructure, then click on the infrastructure icon to place it in your production queue. The infrastructure icon is right below the IC icon on the left center of the province screen.

Sorry for my English. I like your mod and I want to do it better. Thats my suggestions.

It will be greate to do the following:
1-rewrite misc files for airplanes and naval units
2-rewrite characteristics of artillery and AT brigades. In vanilla AT brigades are useless.
=-=-=-=-=--------I can send you my misc and rewrited brigade files. After this, I think, it will be more fun and realistic.
3-can you do the province "Sedan" as it was on the map of WiF mod?
4-IMHO, you have to write a "mobilization" event for France. France is too weak but in the real life its army was as big as German.
"Mobilization" could be happen in three stages: 1-st stage - in 30 days after declaring war (it can give 20-30 divisions of the 1st line), 2-nd stage - in 45 days (+10-15 divisions), 3-rd stage - in 60 days (+10 divisions).
It would be great to see about 90 divisions of France.
And as you understand player have a dilemma - after annexation of Poland he has only 1-1,5 months for reorganization and a war against France before winter.
As a result, if Poland will be the first victim, you make the Strange war unavoidable. And annexation of France will be in summer'40 but not in october-nov'39 as today (of course, player can start his war against France, and make a defence line against Poland - but he must over the war before "Mobilization event" and it's very hard).
And it would be great to write AI file for France'40 (most of their troops must go to belgium for its defence as it was in reality and germans encircle them here).
5-British must build more interceptors. There is may'40 and I have 30 interceptors against 5(!) british.

Sorry for my English
Your English is fine. I understand it perfectly.

1-rewrite misc files for airplanes and naval units
I updated the misc in v0.5 lower the damage that air units take from land units, and also to increase the naval-naval combat damage. What other changes do you suggest? Please send me your misc file via email and I will take a look at it. My email address is at the top of the readme file.

2-rewrite characteristics of artillery and AT brigades. In vanilla AT brigades are useless.
When I play the Third Reich Mod, I attach artillery to paratroopers, mountain divisions, and marines. I brigade infantry with AT guns. I updated the AT gun stats so they are good now. Artillery is better, but artillery costs 4 manpower and AT guns only cost 3 manpower.

I can send you my misc and rewrited brigade files
Yes, please email them to me.

3-can you do the province "Sedan" as it was on the map of WiF mod?
What is the province number and what exactly would you like to change?

4-IMHO, you have to write a "mobilization" event for France. France is too weak but in the real life its army was as big as German.
I could put some locked units in the Maginot Line so it won't be easy to break through, even with railroad artillery. And I could give a few extra infantry divisions to France as soon as it goes to war. However, the French army was badly led and used obsolete tactics so I do not want to give them too many extra units. Germany conquered them in only six weeks in real life.

And it would be great to write AI file for France'40 (most of their troops must go to belgium for its defence as it was in reality and germans encircle them here)..
I could take a look at the French AI file and perhaps update the front and garrison sections.

5-British must build more interceptors. There is may'40 and I have 30 interceptors against 5(!) british.
Okay, I can change the percent military mix so they build a couple extra squadrons early in the Scenario. By the way, you will need all those interceptors staring in about March 1943 when the USA and England begin to strategic bomb the hell out of you. I suggest building radar and AA guns in your high IC and high resource provinces in you have not done so already....

Hello,
Seems a very interesting mod, I was looking for something historical and hard to try.
Currently I am playing Semper Fi, but most probably I will be bored by end of next week and try your mod.

If you need help with historical research, I will be glad to give a hand, am currently reading Winston Churchill 6 volumes about ww2 and there is a lot of historical info in cheese book.

Great mod.

please, a more historical Das Reich division

Thank you for this magnificent mod.
The essential beauty of your work, however, is marred by the historical inadequacy of the weapon that is given to the SS Das reich panzerdivision. To give Panthers mark II tanks in 1939 is annoying to the utmost in a game that is all about historical plausibility. This formation should be given, as has been suggested, 3 stars, as for all elite formations.
If you want to beef up Germany, one may consider giving several historical SS units for free.
Or maybe tell us the reference of the file that you edited so that we may mod it to our convenience. Thanks!

Last edited:
Thank you for this magnificent mod.
The essential beauty of your work...

Wow, that is high praise. Thank you.

the historical inadequacy of the weapon that is given to the SS Das reich panzerdivision. To give Panthers mark II tanks in 1939 is annoying to the utmost in a game that is all about historical plausibility

Don't think of the SS Das Reich as being equipped with Panther II's, but rather think of the division as having good stats due to high morale, good leaderships, always receiving the newest and best equipment available, and being at the top of the list for getting replacements of men and equipment. I needed to work within the parameters of the game to create the "elite" SS divisions. I took the easiest approach of making the free German divisions a higher division model number than would be otherwise be available at the time they appear (like say the Das Reich is a 1945 tank division even though it arrives in 1940).

The other approach would have entailed creating an entirely new class of unit, including unit stats, graphics, counters, upgrade path, tech requirements, model names and numbers in all the appropriate files, etc. It was far, far faster and easier (albeit not historic) to make the "elite" German divisions a higher model. If somebody wants to create elite German divisions, similar to what the TRP Mod had for HOI2 DD Armeggedon, then I will gladly include them in the next patch.

In any event, keep in mind that the Soviets get 38 free guards divisions, 30 free locked garrison divisions, plus another 27 divisions placed directly into Stalingrad, Sverdlovsk, and Moscow if the Germans get too close, +10% IC output, +20% manpower output, and when the Great Patriotic War event fires they get +1,500 manpower. The USA and England get significant bonuses, also. Giving the Germans a high-value unit does not unbalance the game, but I agree it is kind of a shock to see "Panther II" in 1940. It was just that going any other way would have been a lot more work and taken time that I did not have. Besides, you can always delete the unit if you don't like it.

tell us the reference of the file that you edited so that we may mod it to our convenience. Thanks!
The events that create the elite German units are in the hoi2.txt file in the Arsenal of Democracy/db/event folder. Just edit the file and search for the name of the unit (Gross Deutschland, SS Wiking, SS Nordland, SS Prinz Eugen, SS Das Reich, and LSSAH). Feel free to change the unit to whatever type of division and model number or experience level you prefer. When you do so, if you could post here or send me an email about what you changed, I will consider that for the next patch.

Enjoy the game!

Hey any chance you will be converting German DDaim to this mod. I prefer to play all the other countries besides Germany =)

First thing: very nice mod with interesting changes and adaptations, makes the game challenging again, which is nice.

Quick question, though, regarding the Russian cities like Leningrad and Moscow. I have surrounded Leningrad and occupied the provinces around Lagoda Lake, but Leningrad still seems to be supplied. Normal ? If so, what do I have to do to stop supplies coming? Between garrisons and Fortifications, it is a tough nut to crack...

And I just managed to create a Moscow-Rybinsk pocket with close to 40 units inside. Again, anything special need to be done to stop supplies? (Russian capital is already Sverdlosk, btw)

Cheers,
D

I play the second game and the second time Finiland doesn't declare war upon the USSR. And I can't take them into Axis because their intreventionism is too low after the Winter war. Plz, write an event "Finiland starts war" when Germans are close to Leningrad.
Thnks.

to Doctordave

I think it's great that Moscow and Leningrad can't be captured so easy.
There is a centralized supply system in AoD and you can't create a big supply depot in the city. Your "problam" can simulate this element.
And I think it would be too easy to encircle stupid AI and win the war without heavy casualties in urban combats. And I can add that in 1945 Germans created a fortress from Berlin. And imho russian siege could continue many monthes before capture without storm of this natural stronghold with countless basements where germans kept armaments, food, medicaments.

Sorry for mistakes in English.

Hey any chance you will be converting German DDaim to this mod. I prefer to play all the other countries besides Germany =)

I might update the German AI so that the game could be played as either Japan or Germany. If I do that, then I will add some Japanese events, too. But I am not as familiar with the Pacific War as I am with the war in Europe, so it might take a while before I do it.

Quick question, though, regarding the Russian cities like Leningrad and Moscow. I have surrounded Leningrad and occupied the provinces around Lagoda Lake, but Leningrad still seems to be supplied. Normal ? If so, what do I have to do to stop supplies coming? Between garrisons and Fortifications, it is a tough nut to crack...

And I just managed to create a Moscow-Rybinsk pocket with close to 40 units inside. Again, anything special need to be done to stop supplies? (Russian capital is already Sverdlosk, btw)

Arturdenisov's response was correct. A new feature of AoD vs. HOI2 is that IC in surrounded areas continue to produce supplies within that surrounded area, if they have enough energy, rares, and metal to function. However, depending on how many units you have trapped, and how much energy/rares/metal/IC is in the surrounded area, you will probably slowly starve the defenders. This is actually a very good feature of AoD because just because you surround somebody does not automatically mean that you can annihilate them.

I play the second game and the second time Finiland doesn't declare war upon the USSR. And I can't take them into Axis because their intreventionism is too low after the Winter war. Plz, write an event "Finiland starts war" when Germans are close to Leningrad.
Thnks.

TRP had an event for Hitler's visit to Finland on Mannerheim's birthday where the FIN AI might join the Axis if Finland was not already at war with Russia. Lothos sent me a PM saying that many of the TRP events came from the CORE 0.64 Mod, and I have requested permission from the CORE team to copy some events and put them into my mod.

In a case like you have right now, in the middle of a game where you have experienced what is kind of a minor bug or an ahistorical situation, my suggestion is to do the following: Influence Finland until their relations with Germany are +200. At that point, it is historically reasonable to expect them to declare war on the USSR. You can use the acceptall cheat to force FIN into the Axis. If you are not sure how to do this, here is how:
Hit <F12>
type acceptall.
Go to the diplomacy screen and invite Finland to the Axis, and they will accept.
Then type acceptall again to shut of the cheat
Hit <F12> to close the dialogue box
Keep playing....

Last edited:
Per your request, I have added the "free" 1st SS Division Leibstandarte SS Adolf Hitler (LSSAH) to the Scenario. It will automatically appear in May 1940 if Germany has enough resources, has researched the 1939 medium tank technology, and has annexed Yugoslavia and Greece.

However, I do not want to add the 3. SS-Panzer-Division Totenkopf (Death's Head) unit because (i) most of the initial enlisted personnel in the Division were former concentration camp guards, (ii) the Division committed relatively more war crimes than other World War 2 divisions, and (iii) by the end of 1942 the division had experienced virtually a complete turnover in personnel. The high casualty rates meant by late 1943 virtually none of the original cadre were left.

at least give us another SS division. it doesnt feel right without the whole SS there

at least give us another SS division. it doesnt feel right without the whole SS there

The Waffen SS had 38 divisions IRL, and including all of them would unbalance the game unless I give lots more bonuses and free units to the Allies and Comintern. If you would like to see a specific unit, let me know, and I can add it. One or two more free units won't really throw off the balance too much. In the current version 0.5, the Mod has six "elite" German divisions: SS Das Reich, SS Wiking, SS Nordland, SS Prinz Eugen, LSSAH, and the Wehrmacht Heer division Gross Deutschland.