+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Annexing the Papal States

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryHeir to the Throne
    Rome GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Annexing the Papal States

What would happen in this current game of mine if I annexed the Papal States? There are NO Christian theocracies left (I formed Germany and TO is dead), so what would happen? Would a random Christian nation be chosen to take its place?
    A Blessing and a Curse: EUIV Narrative AAR! In Progress
    Downfall: A Byzantine Narrative AAR. See the fall of the mightiest empire the world has ever seen. On Hold 3rd Place OVERALL EU3 (Highest Narrative) AARland Choice Awards Q3 2012!
    The Grey Eminence: A British Narrative/History AAR. Witness the rise of Great Britain to world power! COMPLETE! WINNER EU - Narrative for AARland Choice AwAARds 2012 Q1!
    The Eternal Exile: Nation Hopping AAR with a mix of narrative and game-play. On Hold. | WINNER EU - Narrative for AARland Choice AwAARds 2011 Q1!

Winner: AAR Showcase 29/11/2011 | Winner: Character Writer of the Week 19/1/2012 | Winner: Fan of the Week 20/9/2010 and 20/8/2012 | I was Character Writer of the Week 13/12/2010

Darkest Hour Team & Lead GFX Inner Circle's Avatar
    200k clubAchtung PanzerHoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: Armageddon
    Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneLegioThe Kings CrusadeMagickaMajesty 2
    March of the EaglesPenumbra - Black PlagueVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper Fi
    SengokuSword of the StarsSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldSupreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    EUIV: Call to arms eventEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashantai View Post
    What would happen in this current game of mine if I annexed the Papal States? There are NO Christian theocracies left (I formed Germany and TO is dead), so what would happen? Would a random Christian nation be chosen to take its place?
    I had this situation in one of my last games and the answer is simple:

There won´t be a Papacy anymore and the Papacy Tab will be greyed out...

DARKEST HOUR
    1914-1963 Grand Strategy Game

200k clubCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3EU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneMagicka
    Victoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper FiSengokuSword of the Stars
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Quote Originally Posted by Inner Circle View Post

Isn't that a hardcoded change around the 17th century, not because of the Papal States being annexed?

200k clubAchtung PanzerHoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: Armageddon
    Divine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    March of the EaglesPenumbra - Black PlagueVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper Fi
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    EUIV: Call to arms eventEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Najs View Post
    Isn't that a hardcoded change around the 17th century, not because of the Papal States being annexed?
    Could be as it happened around the 17th century in my game...

DARKEST HOUR

Quote Originally Posted by Inner Circle View Post

They must have changed or fixed it, I can remember in the past the Papal States were eliminated and the Papal Tab was still there, with no way to gain relations with the pope, leading to many excommunications- it was pretty annoying.

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryHeir to the Throne
    Rome GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

OK, just to be safe I vassalised them. The prestige and infamy bonuses make it worth keeping.

Thanks guys!

I just hoped one of my enemies wouldn't become them.
    A Blessing and a Curse: EUIV Narrative AAR! In Progress
    Downfall: A Byzantine Narrative AAR. See the fall of the mightiest empire the world has ever seen. On Hold 3rd Place OVERALL EU3 (Highest Narrative) AARland Choice Awards Q3 2012!
    The Grey Eminence: A British Narrative/History AAR. Witness the rise of Great Britain to world power! COMPLETE! WINNER EU - Narrative for AARland Choice AwAARds 2012 Q1!
    The Eternal Exile: Nation Hopping AAR with a mix of narrative and game-play. On Hold. | WINNER EU - Narrative for AARland Choice AwAARds 2011 Q1!

Winner: AAR Showcase 29/11/2011 | Winner: Character Writer of the Week 19/1/2012 | Winner: Fan of the Week 20/9/2010 and 20/8/2012 | I was Character Writer of the Week 13/12/2010

If you are Catholic and annex the pope, with no other theocracies left, you'll keep getting an event which will give infamy/stab hits if you choose not to release the papal state. The event is recurrent, so it's best to vassalize.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by intemporalis View Post
    If you are Catholic and annex the pope, with no other theocracies left, you'll keep getting an event which will give infamy/stab hits if you choose not to release the papal state. The event is recurrent, so it's best to vassalize.
    Didn´t get this event when i was Naples and formed italy...

DARKEST HOUR

Italy is the one exception to Catholic nations.

EU3 CompleteHearts of Iron III

This event should be called the Cry-Baby Pope.

HoI AnthologyCities in MotionCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineKing Arthur II
    MagickaMajesty 2EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandCK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by intemporalis View Post
    1.) That event only happens if you own Rome.
    2.) If you control enough cardinals to keep a lock on the papacy, having no Pope means you can excommunicate any Catholic, since no one can get 100 relations with the Pope. Not so powerful with the latest patch, since you can't use that to just eat all the Catholics with impunity anymore.

+ Reply to Thread