• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Forgiven

These Violent Delights Have Violent Ends
68 Badges
Mar 1, 2005
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
Memento Mori

image-AB46_4BD0681B.jpg

Prologue

image-AAA2_4BD0681B.jpg

Balcony of Italian Embassy, Vienna
13th of March 1938

Cesare Amé (Head of Intelligence): Well, there they are.
Enzo Galbiati (Ambassador to Austria): Did not spend any extra time marching to here.
Gian Galeazzo Ciano (Foreign Minister): Not that we expected them to, really, it was only matter of days since February.
Amé: True, official French and British reactions?
Ciano: Questions, requests, nothing very strongly worded, at least from the local embassies, we might hear something from the goverments in few weeks, they tend to take their time.
Galbiati: That's what my sources in German Embassy said as well.
Amé: Weak.
Galbiati: Indeed, looks like we might be able to push our own goals without interference as well.
Ciano: Carefully though, Germany's claims were stronger, and they had much more real local support than we can expect.
Galbiati: Media writes, what you let it write, but you are correct, we may have to manufacture some discontent.
Ciano: Oh and, for this incident, for sake of appearances, file protests similar to those of Brits and French, Amé will make sure Germans understand that we have no real opposition to this as long as they raise no real protests on anything happening in Balcans.
Amé: Indeed I will. Well done here in Austria Galbiati, I presume there won't be need for an embassy here, we'll be happy to see you back in Rome again soon.

image-C2AB_4BD0681B.jpg

Airport, Rome
25th of August 1938

Mussolini (Duce): So, any last minute doubts or questions?
Ciano: Nothing serious, just the old concern of whether it's wise to let the Hungarians know this much, in case they refuse.
Mussolini: Well, I doubt they'll be so rash as to advertise the fact that we approached them even if they refuse, it's worth the small risk.
Amé: Indeed, the plane is waiting, shall we?

...Later...

Mussolini: Everything going to the plan?
Galbiati (Assistant to Amé): Oh yes, the bomb is where it should be, and should create quite credible looking AA hit on the plane, timing was bit harder though, winds and such, can't quarantee it'll be over Ljubjana, but certainly over Yugoslavia.
Mussolini: Very good, I suppose you have the headlines ready as well?
Galbiati: Of course.
Mussolini: I'm think you'll do fine as Minister of Intelligence, Amé was a good man while we were building our industry, but now we need someone with better eye for internal and international appearances.
Galbiati: Then I hope this operation will convince you I'm the right man for the job..
Mussolini: I'm sure it'll work out, still, I worry about my grand children growing up without a father, and how my daughter will take this.
Galbiati: Sometimes it is best end political marriages with political sacrifice, and I doubt the kids got to see their father that much, with him beeing abroad all the time.
Mussolini: Indeed, and he was starting to oppose my decisions and have bit too much personal support too, never good to share too much power, I think I'll take the office of Foreign Minister back to myself as well, at least for now, but concentrate on the nations loss of loved leader for now, he'll make a fine martyr.
Galbiati: Of course.
Mussolini: Good, I'll go make sure the military is prepared for what is coming.

Various newspaper headlines
26th to 30th of August 1938

Italian plane crashed in Yugoslavia!
Shot down by Yugoslavians?

Foreign Minister was on board!
Memorial service scheduled

Italian Reservists called to service
Your letter will arrive within 2 days with instructions.

Italian investigators seek permission to explore remains
Yugoslavian officials refuse demands

Mussolini demands access
Warns of consequences

Italy declares war on Yugoslavia!
Operations to start at midnight

Last edited:
Going for a bit different style of writing this time, for large part because the game is in progress, and this will allow me to express things bit more vaguely.

Now indeed, since this game is in progress, I may include some blatantly false information in here during the writing, since my opponents will clearly be able to read this, and also I'll be writing at least one session late (3 done now, so I suppose I have some catch up to do).

I'll cover the most popular question from previous AAR early this time, the human players in this one, so far, have been:

Germany, Italy, Japan (2), Soviet Union, France, United Kingdom, USA (not for first session = year), Romania, Hungary. Allied majors have been variedly controlled by 4 people, sometimes sharing, sometimes covering for absense during these first 3 sessions. I'll let them come claim their credits themselves if they wish, and indeed, 'ghost write' and explain their point of view during the time period if they so wish, I may not always do justice.

I'll try to concentrate on events in Italy or this will bloat too much, thanks to Lord Ederon, the rest of the events will be covered with a map gif's quite nicely, and 2nd credit goes to Hytzon for a provicial map I'll be using a lot for operation progresses.

Oh, and right, since we did some modifications, I suppose those should be explained before hand:
Some weatherpattern 'fix'.
Italy has more IC (18 more I think)
Soviets had more daily MP
Soviets, USA and Romania have event for some additional mp after they've entered war and lost some province(s) (500/300/50 if I remember right)
Joining factions made slightly harder.
Consumer Goods production no longer best law (dissent increased instead of reduced).
Practical gains from armor, light planes and construction reduced.
Fortification effect reduced, but production costs also reduced to reflect this.
Few other minor changes I'm not even sure what exactly what they do.

Depends, without war, 3, maybe 4. When at war, 2 or 1, pausing is allowed though we try to avoid it as much as possible. (with ~5 hour sessions we have the following so far; 1st session 1 year game time, 2nd and 3rd session about 4 months each.)

Welcome again, I hope you won't mind if I take over the world as Italy :rofl:

Chapter One
Brevis laurifer bellum​

7th of September 1938
Naval Headquarters, Taranto

image-E556_4BD0681B.jpg

Mussolini: Good evening gentlemen, how goes the war?
Francesco Grazioli (Chief of Staff): Would you start Domenico?
Domenico Cavagnari (Chief of Naval Operations): The army detachment we had here in Taranto was succesfully shipped to Split, the fleet is now approaching Benghazi and should be ready by the time the African divisions reach port, it seems there may be some delays there, Libyan roads being what they are... On purely naval side, to date, only one Yugoslavian destroyer flotilla has been sunk, mainly by RM Trento, rest of the Yugoslavian fleet is hiding from us, so far succesfully.
Grazioli: Giuseppe?
Giuseppe Valle (Chief of the Air Force): Initial combat with Yugoslavian airforce has been a clear victory for us, but we have been unable to completely ground their planes.
Grazioli: Alberto?
Alberto Pariani (Chief of the Army): In short, we have secured the hills around Split and the main part of army has thus far advanced with very little opposition in the north, we are just now starting to meet any Yugoslavian troops, so far their resistance has been almost nonexistent, excluding few divisions in the mountains next to Aust.. err... German border. Perhaps better if I show this on the map.
Mussolini: Good, we need to keep this war short, not another fiasco like Ethiopia again, democracies take their time to wake up to protesting, but if this goes on for much over month or two they will think us weak and try to persuade us to withdraw, perhaps even threaten, it would be better if that were not allowed to happen.

image-7511_4BD06387.jpg

14th of September 1938
Doge's Palace, Venice​

image-4A1A_4BD0681B.jpg

Pariani: I must say you have chosen most impressive headquarters I remember visiting...
Balbo (CO Army Group East): It is, isn't it. What brings you here?
Pariani: You do remember the order to make this a short war you received 2 weeks ago?
Balbo: Oh yes, And Galbiati is progressing very well from split don't you think?
Pariani: Galbiati is yes, rest of your forces up here in north, are not. And if Galbiati pushes much futher without support I'm tempted to say he'll be overextented.
Balbo: We are merely waiting here to draw more of the Yugoslavian army to north, so di Pistoia's 10th can land in Cetinje without opposition.
Pariani: Oh? Then you have missed the fact that he already landed 4 days ago, and that in fact, if you were pushing harder up here in north it would have likely been more effective in drawing the forces up here.
Balbo: Landed? Then someone clearly forgot to forward the message to me, and he wasn't supposed to land for another 5 days by plan.
Pariani: Umm... Well, anyways, push to connect with Galbiatis forces as soon as possible, he'll be needing the support soon.

28th of September 1938
Villa Borghese, Rome

image-4EF6_4BD0681B.jpg

Pariani: I'm happy to report we now hold the entire Yugoslavian coast.
Mussolini: Coast.. Well, I suppose it's something, still, it's been four weeks now, and 'the coast' as you say, is by what I understand, at best quarter of the whole country.
Pariani: Well, yes, but on the other hand with the supply now secured, we are prepared to launch major assault on whole front, which should overwhelm the remaining Yugoslavian army.
Mussolini: So, two weeks? The foreign pressure is starting to mount.
Pariani: Two may be bit optimistic, but certainly less than a month.
Mussolini: Two sounds lot better, make it happen.

18th of October 1938
Latin Bridge, Sarajevo

image-C920_4BD0695A.jpg

Prince Paul (Regent of Yugoslavia) surrenders to de Stefanis commander of the Division Siena after Italian capture of Sarajevo.

image-D6D3_4BD06387.jpg

Hmm, are those maps too large? I'm so used to having too many pixels on my screen I'm not sure what's normal anymore...

Hytzon made the base map (provinces, colors, etc) from the original map with some black magic or some nice program, you'll have to ask him, for recoloring and 'army' descriptions I toyed with paint shop pro version this or that.

Hytzon made the base map (provinces, colors, etc) from the original map with some black magic or some nice program, you'll have to ask him, for recoloring and 'army' descriptions I toyed with paint shop pro version this or that.

I'd rather wait until you guys finish this mp game and read a proper and nice AAR like the Germany one you had,with normal maps,and ingame screenshots,etc.
If you are worried the other players are gonna read it and spy...then don't do it at all dude,wait until you finish..

Don't worry, I won't hide all that much stuff, mainly just the 'real army size numbers' and perhaps areal strenght, but I hope I can lift veil on that as events overrun the importance of how much I have committed to defending what, I could have used screenies for the yugoslavian war, but those were not very good ones, I thought the maps would tell what I want better than those did, I have some good ones from later in the war that I will use.

looking forward to it :)

Lord Ederon prepared many a great map with a program written by himself, and combined with everybody elses maps we have a pretty accurate account of what is going on. you will also get the maps labelled, with offensives, major battles et al. :)

stay tuned!

Chapter Two
Labor omnia vincit

Belgrad
1st of November 1938

image-ED1C_4BD44659.jpg

Mussolini: So, did we learn anything from this war?
Pariani: Well, it would appear our binary divisions cannot stand up 1 to 1 against even yugoslavian triangular divisions, not that it's a big suprise, but
while I understand we turned into binary system to appear stronger when stating number of our divisions, come the actual war it might make us appear weak, not being able to accomplish as much as our number of divisions should make possible.
Mussolini: I see, I suppose you have some solutions to this?
Pariani: A few options really, we could abandon the binary approach and go for triangular or even square divisions, but on the other hand, the binary approach does give us some benefits in manuevering, so I'd actually prefer to just improve the firepower of the divisions, wish say extra batallion or two of artillery, which would still allow us to use less actual manpower for each single division.
Mussolini: Hmm, very well, I'd like a more complete report sometime during this month, but I'll see what our industry could provide, they have been already complaining about how the draft stole all their workers, how soon do you think we could give them back?
Pariani: Well, we have already sent a lot of them on vacation, but I suppose they might not show up for work right away, the situation here in Yugoslavia
should be mostly pacified by end of this month, I think we can release most of the men after that, keeping mainly the cavalry and armored divisions here to crush any dissidents that get too organized.

15th of November 1938
Brescia
image-A66A_4BD44659.jpg

Mussolini: General Grazioli, this is mr. Jung, he will be taking over the industrial side now that I have secured sources for raw materials, he'll be trying to squeeze as much as possible out of our existing factories, I doubt we'll have any time starting up more.
*handshake*
Guido Jung (Armament Minister): So, what can we do for the military?
Grazioli: Well, while our final estimates of the Yugoslavian war are still under work, the initial opinion is that we need more heavy weapons, artillery, armor and such, on top of our existing contracts.
Jung: Hm, artillery I'm sure we can manage, what kind of number of armor are you talking about?
Grazioli: Some, say 5000 units.
Jung: I don't think that's really possible, you may remember that we have so far been producing about 50 a year, so that would require about 100 years at current rate.
Grazioli: Surely you can speed it up, you haven't built more because we haven't ordered any more.
Jung: Some more, sure, maybe 100, 200 a year, for this year, if we really start up the production with the aim of 5000, we can probably double the number each year, more than that, I doubt it.
Grazioli: The military would want, all 5000, within a year.
Jung: Can't be done.
Mussolini: Umm, what if you'd have german parts and would only put them together?
Jung: That... might be possible...
Mussolini: I'll see what I can do, they are rather annoyed with us due to our little war derailing their talks about Sudeten but I'm sure they'd appriciate stronger ally in south.

15th of August 1939
Commando Superiore, Palazzo Farnese, Rome​

image-0C72_4BD44659.jpg

Galbiati: Generals, I've been requested to ask, if Italy is ready for another war 1 month from now?
Grazioli: Yes, we are quite prepared to attack Greece, within one week of the order actually.
Galbiati: Ah, you misunderstand, war with France, United Kingdom and Poland.
Grazioli: Oh, well, that's bit harder question, I'm not quite sure, how's the army Alberto?
Pariani: Only a month? Well, yes and no, some of the armor has been delayed and we can not expect the 2nd european corps to be ready before december, and some of the infantry divisions could use some time organize, the demobilization was concluded in quite a bit harsher form than I expected and most of the men have done nothing but factory or field work for last 9 months. If necessary, yes, we can with high confidence say that we can keep them out of Italy, and probably achieve victory in Africa, our armies there are not quite as combined to the workforce as they are here, less factories and all that...
Grazioli: And Air Force?
Valle: Worse, all the workers we had on upgrading our planes were moved to putting together those panzers, the Air Force is sadly out of date, and what's worse, we lack proper bases for African campaign. But, well, if we could perhaps take Greece and especially Crete before engaging the British, it could serve as quite secure air base for Eqypt, I still wish you had not prioritized army so much over the air...
Grazioli: Had to be done, I'm afraid, and lot of the army didn't get new weapons they were supposed to either, most of the equipment went for new divisions, it may be we got bit too ambitious trying to match the Japanese and Soviets in army size, but at least we should have some 100 divisions when fully mobilized now. What about the Navy?
Cavagnari: Against British and French, no luck, like Giuseppe said, too much of the workforce was relocated to cover army's needs, our battleships are still under refit and won't be ready to sail before January at earliest, as such, we cannot really challenge the Allied navies of Britain and France, at this time, our strategy must be a fleet in being approach, perhaps guarding adriatic sea against invasions is possible, and some commerce raiding by cruisers and submarines. Alas, our own cargo carrying capasity will be under similar threath from the French and British submarines and we have much smaller commercial fleet, I'm not all that sure if we can keep on supplying the Africa troops if they do not succeed taking the enemy naval bases fast.
Grazioli: Well, there you have it, army thinks it can hold it's own, but we'll be hard pressed in air and at sea, then again, I'm not sure if the situation would improve all that much even with the battleships finished on naval side, in the air we might have a chance, that's where we were planning to direct most resources after we are finished with the army afterall, but even so, it might take another year or two to bring even the old planes up to modern standarts.
Galbiati: I see, very well, I'll convey your doubts to Benito and the Germans, but be prepared that we may need to take action sooner rather than later in any case, within two months at latest...
Pariani: Ah, mr. Galbiati, you said France, United Kingdom and Poland, what about the Hungarians? They have been rather vocal about the Yugoslavian territories they consider theirs, at least, that's what we hear in the press, you are sure they won't intervene as well?
Galbiati: Hmm, I suppose you need to know.. We believe that we'll actually be able to bring them on our side, it'll require us giving them those territories and bit more, in fact everything north of the river Sava, but then there's not much besides partisans in there, so it's not much of a loss for the assistance of Hungarian army..
Pariani: I see, very good, then we can feel quite secure about rest of our Balkan territories I suppose..

Flood of pictures:

Order of Battle for Italian army, as planned, not necessarily as it was at this time, but what it was supposed to be at time of war.

image-D675_4BD44659.jpg

Same for Air Force and Navy, as you can see it includes the Battleships still at dock and some other minor inaccuracies may exist.

image-D29B_4BD44659.jpg

And as the first session ended on first of September 1939, these two maps should bring some light to events I've skipped in the dialogues, for one Czechoslovakia was added to German Reich during the summer, and Japanese campaign in China was left totally unmentioned, it takes a long time to get any mail from there afterall, and no, Italy never attacked bulgaria, just some color thingy makes it look like that :rolleyes:

mg14_session1_europe.gif

mg14_session1_china.gif

Sorry no war this time, but next chapter I'll promise, and yea, that's one huge timehop there in the middle, but not much really happened in those 8-9 months..

I may have left something important out and if the dialogue hints to lot of things, I'll leave it up to you to ask for clarifications, I'm quite sure I can provide lot of them after tomorrows session if not sooner.

Oh, this one is going to be along one...

Chapter Three
Audentes fortuna iuvat​

Events of September

9 September 1939, Italy mobilizes
12 September 1939, Germany and Hungary declare was on Slovakia, Netherlands mobilizes
13 September 1939, Denmark, Belgium, Luxembur Mobilize, Ireland joins Allies
14 September 1939, Netherlands and Belgium join military alliance with France (not allies)
15 September 1939, Hungary Annexes Slovakia
16 September 1939, Germany declares war on Denmark, New Zealand joins Allies
17 September 1939, Canada joins Allies
24 September 1939, Luxemburg joins Military alliance with France
26 September 1939, Germany declares war on Poland, Soviet Union declares war on Finland, Italy declares war on Greece, Sweden Mobilizes​

Not all that much to say about the Greek operation, done by the book, had troops prepared incase Allies minded Italian actions, but since they didn't, it was a fast job.

image-47F0_4BD691EA.jpg

2 October 1939 Italy annexes Greece

Blackshirt corp Sud under Galbiati is shipped to occupy Crete. 9 Days later:

11 October 1939 Italy joins war Against Allies, Turkey Mobilizes

Distribution of troops in Africa at the start of hostilities, Army/Armygroup command posts are slightly expanded.

image-FEF6_4BD6B0E1.jpg

First and last Landing operation by Regia Marina, before withdrawing to cover Adriatic sea, done by First Squadron and First Transport Flotilla.

image-333C_4BD691EA.jpg

British resistance in Egypt was token at best, like intelligence estimates had said, most of their army was in Europe, there were about 3 divisions to cover whole Egypt.

image-F166_4BD6B1A9.jpg

Defenders of Alexandria hid behind the Nile and did good job, but with their low numbers, they could not prevent getting flanked.

image-B5F7_4BD6AAC9.jpg

In europe, French tested Italian defences at Savigliano, but gave up shortly after Italians launched counter offensive.

image-234E_4BD6AAC9.jpg

While succesful in Egypt, our spies had failed us in Tunis, the Italian troops had expected a march to Atlantic unopposed, French divisions were supposed to be in Poland after all, not Africa, they instead found that there was good sized French corp present.

image-F96B_4BD6AAC9.jpg

21 October 1939 Soviet Union annexes Baltic states
22 October 1939 Soviet Union Annexes Finland, and demobilizes. Poland forms Goverment in Exile.
25 October 1939 Belgium joins Allies​

Until November, Italian convoy raiding operations had gone mostly uninterrupted, but on 19th French fleet finally caught some of the raiders at the Narrows.

image-2145_4BD6AAC9.jpg

The French had done well, but on 26th of November, they were almost done in Africa.

image-5102_4BD6AAC9.jpg

British Empire had finally reacted, it's uncertain if these divisions had been meant to keep Italians out of Egypt, but by the time they arrived they were forced to land at Sinai.

image-9901_4BD6AAC9.jpg

French had also begun to raid our convoys, and the antisubmarine squadrons we dispatched to take care of these, and some successes were seen:

image-7502_4BD6AAC9.jpg

image-2332_4BD6AAC9.jpg

In Sinai, the British reinforcements were starting to bend against Italian panzers...

image-31AB_4BD6AAC9.jpg

Wait, I must be forgetting something.... Oh right, there's war in europe too, not just this colonial war...
After Polish surrender, German forces had swept to drive out the French that had invaded from Luxemburg, Hungarians took over Fight with Netherlands and the BEF present there, and a large contigent of French troops, over 30 brigades by some reports, was trapped in Danzig. On 7th of December Germans declared war on Swizz, and with assitance of Italians, eventually Annexed Switzerland on Chrismas.

image-30B2_4BD6AD75.jpg

On 8th of January 1940, a rather suprising message reached Rome, Paris had fallen. Alas, while the German paratroopers managed to capture some minor ministers, most of the cabinet managed to escape and there was no surrender to take place. Few days later German Panzers were racing to secure Paris from south...

image-C835_4BD6AD75.jpg

By 12th of January, Italy now controlled most of Algiers...

image-81A5_4BD6AD75.jpg

And had much of Middle-east under control too, Brits had made second attemp to relieve Tel Aviv, but withdrew shortly, probably after their supply situation turned sour with route to Iraq lost and port of Tel Aviv having been decimated.

image-5F5B_4BD6AD75.jpg

In europe, by 28th, French had retaken Paris and the German sprearhead had been encircled aswell, Italian army however, had tempting opportunity to strike south towards Marseille, if only there were enough troops present.

image-BA84_4BD6AD75.jpg

Once again I have largely concentrated on Italy, so I think this map will help those interested in what happened up north...

mg14_session2_europe.gif

Hmm, and I forget something else since I somehow missed a screenshot of this event; While guarding Adriatic, most of 3rd squadron was lost and 1st squadron was forced to flee after taking some heavy hits from the french fleet as well. 3rd Squadron lost Zara, Fiume and Pola and of the escorts only Alberico da Barbiano escaped, and all ships of both squadrons would be staying at docks for months.

Last edited:
I hear Polish army did some weird manuevers that partially spoiled things (Left for soviet border for some reason, they did eventually return to right place, but it was enough to create confusion) And then with Germany taking Denmark first, the french troops were trapped in Baltic, I think they were meant to get home...