+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Combine Historical Innacuracies and Over the Top Nationalism? You get A MakassAAR

Arsenal of DemocracyEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the ThroneVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessEuropa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise

Combine Historical Innacuracies and Over the Top Nationalism? You get A MakassAAR

So...
    My Mutapa AAR was going pretty good for 50 years, and then the evil forces of EXAMS got me into the torture known as studying.
    And during my times at war, someone with Mugabe-ish stupidity saved over my Mutapa file
    Now that I'm free to do AARs, I had to make a new one, while I'm at it. Why not satisfy my nationalism once in a while?
    And maybe teach people a little about Indonesian history so future games won't describe the spice islands as a mud-poor uncivilized hellhole

So people, I present to you, the nation that shouldn't have existed in 1399
    The Sultanate of Makassar

It's an OPM, but thankfully it's got one of the few forts in Indonesia

Also it's Sunni, surrounded with friendly neighbors, which is good thing early on. Why?

Aceh, Malacca and Brunei, the only neighbour not guaranteeing me in day 1 is Hindu Majapahit

Speaking of Majapahit, Indonesian consider them as the predecessor of Indonesia, they also symbolize Indonesian unity over diversity. it's kinda insulting seeing them described so poorly in the game

Speaking of Majapahit AND insults,

Oh, than we'll just talk more about Majapahit later on after I get some sleep

Table Of Contents
    Last edited by theconfusedone; 29-04-2010 at 03:33.
    "If you want to see it well, you do not stand in one place." - Chinua Achebe

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae Victis

Excellent stuff, your Mutapa AAR was a hoot, looking forward to following this one. I'm very much subscribed.
    This AAR Soks
    WritAAR of the Week: 8 January 2012 and Weekly AAR Showcase: 15 April 2012

Are you Deshtined to suffer another kiss?
    Favourite EU Comedy AAR AARland Choice AwAARds 2010 (Q3) and 2011 (Q3)
    Character Writer of the Week: 5 December 2010

My Inkwell - Warning! This content is rated EP: Extremely Poor
    Fan of the Week: 7 September 2010, 27 February 2011 and 26 April 2012

Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessEuropa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise

morningSIDEr - Thx mate, your AAR was hootter thou, it made me, and the rest of the world, drunk

Chapter 1 : The Macassari Blitzkrieg

Where were we?
    Oh yes

A little quick review on the contenders shall we?

In this corner, we have :
    Makassar The nation that shouldn't have existed historically in this time era, small, but very obnoxious indeed, sending a love letter to the Majapahit every month, after the 4th letter or so, the war started because the other side felt insulted

Aceh Another nation that shouldn't have existed in this era, and of course NOT encompassing all of Sumatera. Their strategy? Cause people to runaway using their flag, thinking that they are the Ottomans. But of course, the Atjehan moon is much fatter

Brunei It did exist back then, but it was still Hindu with animist citizens. Somehow managed to conquer the unconquerable Kutai kingdom before 1399 in game, even though the Kutai Kingdom existed between the 4th century until the 1800s IRL

And last, and yes, least
    Malacca, regular text was deliberately chosen
    Oh okay
    Malacca, has a COT, with three Macassari merchants present, tries to employ the Atjehan's strategy but apparently their flag makers were color-blind

On the other corner
    Majapahit, their era was Indonesia's proudest moment in history, and apparently, the game ditched that era. In 1399, Majapahit was supposed to be nearing the end of their golden era, but it is still their golden era. Their land stretches through modern day era Indonesia Malaysia (TAKE THAT), Southern Thailand, East Timor, and southern Philippines. But in game, they're only 4 provinces full of sh.

Time to put historical inaccuracies to our advantages

As the Majapahit Hell-of-a navy sails into the mysterious waters of the Straits of Johor, our army lands in the yet unexplored land called Southern Java

Certainly, a nation whose explorers reached the Arabian Peninsula and even The Marshall Islands should have those mysterious islands in TI right?
    Wrong Paradox, very wrong

Here we have the 2000 strong Makassari race to the unknown against the Majapahit mercenary doomstack. Makassar reached it first while the Mercenaries stopped for a while and think

Kinda like the 2009 presidential campaigns, Jusuf Kalla, who apparently comes from no other than Makassar, used the slogan was "the faster the better" against defending champion Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono's more cautious policies. But the Makassari lost thou. Hope it doesn't happen here

I was wondering where the guarantors are at this point, and when the Balinese fog of war was lifted, my question was answered

See? Even before Bali became a tourist destination, people thought it was the capital of Indonesia
    Was it the beaches? Was it the food? Was it the Australian gay bars?
    No one will ever know
    7000 people flock to Bali at August 1400, and in no way that it was good for tourism

Seconds before the Majapahit doomstack arrived, this peace deal was signed
    Southern Java was so dirt poor we don't need to control any other provinces to get them
    Probably paradox's resources claimed that Surfing Hiking or even rice paddies were not invented yet back then

Here's a view of the world in year 2

Other than Makassaris in Java, there's not much conquest have been made it seems.

That sums up our first update. Pretty boring wasn't it? Wait until you see the next one

Next :
    Stuff, and Hopefully a Cliffhanger
    Last edited by theconfusedone; 29-04-2010 at 14:03.

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest Hour
    Deus VultEast India Company CollectionEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The Glory
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneIron CrossLegio
    Majesty 2Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeRome GoldSemper Fi
    SengokuSword of the StarsSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordRise of Prussia500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

Following.
    God's protection is better than the strongest armor or the tallest tower.
    Fan of the Week: 4/25/10 Was a recipient of one of King_Richard_XI's birthday cookies:
    Nationality: American (Dixie), Religion: Southern Baptist, Ideology: Reactionary, Issues: Jingoism
    billy bob's opinion of Mississippi
    My first AAR: Etruria: Forging an Empire (a disaster, but completed)
    My second AAR: Confessions to a Boatman: An Ottoman AAR (dead)

200k clubAchtung PanzerHoI AnthologyCrusader Kings IIDarkest Hour
    Deus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindFor The GloryFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineLeviathan: Warships
    MagickaMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Semper FiSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the RosesRise of Prussia
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms eventEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise
    EUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old Gods
    Crusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of India

Your enemy seems to consist of invisible islands and floating shrubbery
    پادشاه عالم پناه

Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedMount & Blade: Warband
    500k clubEUIV: Call to arms event

Quote Originally Posted by Chamboozer View Post
    Your enemy seems to consist of invisible islands and floating shrubbery
    The terrain tooltip should say "98% Mangrove, 2% Suitable for buildings(For their Townhall or something)"

I like the title.

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions

Excellent start, cut back that shrubbery!
    This AAR Soks

JDMS - join the club

Chamboozer - it's a symptom of a disease called playing with no videocard

jonlucero wordplay, AARagon's not the only one who can do that

morningSIDEr but then I can't know the difference between land and sea provinces :P Save the shrubbery!
    Last edited by theconfusedone; 23-04-2010 at 12:46.

Chapter 2 : Stuff, and yes, There's a Cliffhanger

This update starts at the dawn of a war

An unimportant far away one it seems

Back in the archipelago, naval improvements have won us a race against Champa
    With that out of the way, some bossy narrator told us to

In the name of Allah, conquer the topless tourists-filled beaches, those overpriced haram food stalls, and Australian gay bars
    As a Muslim, I find this offensive

But who cares, on the day the truce ends we DOW them
    Five months later,

Meanwhile, Mataram had it's fort built and Blambangan is slowly turning Sunni, very slowly

Oh almost forgot, this happened

We're rich, people! We're rich! Let's go shopping
    Now I'll take two of those Asian longbows, a cavalry, and a general, thank you, put that on my credit card, please

How much money do I have left?
    Eleven ducats
    Oh great

If we don't do something we'll go bankrupt next year. Thank you capitalism.

Checking through the ledger, I found out they have 12 carracks
    A three way alliance with Aceh and Malacca was signed.

The alliance with Malacca made me start to question my nationalism *cough*Malaysians*cough*

It turns out Brunei had been banging them hard for a month now, which I should be happy about, but then again, with that bankruptcy nearing, I can't really waste a casus belli

Here's the cliffhanger I promised ya

Well, here goes nothing

Next :
    Blitzkrieg in Borneo, if I can land there that is
    Last edited by theconfusedone; 23-04-2010 at 05:31.

Tsar of Australiarr HMAS-Nameless's Avatar
    HoI AnthologyCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 Complete
    For The GloryHearts of Iron IIIIron CrossEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Mount & Blade: WarbandCK2: Holy Knight500k club

Australian gay bars! As an Australian I find this offensive!
    AARS

GOTT MIT UNS! Rise of the Black Eagle! [DEAD] (Prussia: Victoria 2)

MODS

SEXIICOLOURS 1.3! for Victoria II. Want a better more historic country colour scheme? Sick of Prussia being yellow? isn't Prussian Blue much better:P

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest Hour
    Deus VultEast India Company CollectionEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The Glory
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneIron CrossLegio
    Majesty 2Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeRome GoldSemper Fi
    SengokuSword of the StarsSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordRise of Prussia500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

Can you take Brunei?
    God's protection is better than the strongest armor or the tallest tower.
    Fan of the Week: 4/25/10 Was a recipient of one of King_Richard_XI's birthday cookies:
    Nationality: American (Dixie), Religion: Southern Baptist, Ideology: Reactionary, Issues: Jingoism
    billy bob's opinion of Mississippi
    My first AAR: Etruria: Forging an Empire (a disaster, but completed)
    My second AAR: Confessions to a Boatman: An Ottoman AAR (dead)

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneMagickaVictoria 2500k club

oh noes! we will all be makassared

*subscribed*
    "When in doubt, C4!" - Jamie Hyneman
    "Life is a worthless game, but the graphics are awesome."

My AARs are stored in My Inkwell

Quote Originally Posted by theconfusedone View Post
    conquer the topless tourists-filled beaches
    *books a holiday to Bali forthwith*

Very good update!
    This AAR Soks

52 games registered

Deus VultDungeonlandEast India Company CollectionEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneImpireEuropa Universalis III: In NomineIron CrossLeviathan: Warships
    The Kings CrusadeMagickaMajesty II CollectionMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeRome GoldSemper FiSengoku
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisWarlock: Master of the Arcane
    War of the RosesEU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    EUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
    Crusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of India

Splendid beginning.
    Soon to finish the WC?

Oh, nice. Another Indonesian AAR!

I don't know which difficulty you are playing at, but man, those Majapahit provinces spawn 10-regiment sized rebel blobs on very hard at least, so good luck in keeping them under your control!

HMAS-Nameless - Don't worry we won't catch you and accuse you of carrying drugs just to get lunch money... Yet

JDMS - Not yet, if it's the province your speaking :P but the country is a whole different matter

Mico94 - oh yes we will *maniacal laughter*

morningSIDEr - thanks! Don't go to Bali now, there's a raper loose in the streets, and yes that's only a single P :P

Enewald - I might do my first ever WC with this one, pretty optimistic with Makassar here, no one really expects the underdog, but it will take a long long time

Eino_Day Yours and that Malacca one is only regionally Indonesian so it doesn't really satisfy my nationalism :P I've learned quite a lot from your Brunei AAR I think I'll go attack Ethiopia too. And yes Majapahit rebels are a bugger, in hard diff they spawn 8 regiments, been there once
    Last edited by theconfusedone; 24-04-2010 at 04:55.

Previously, on Combine Historical Inaccuracies and Over the Top Nationalism? You get A MakassAAR, damn it's a long title

The Makassaris crossed the Java sea, hoping to gain lands in Borneo
    A fierce sea battle stands in their way, will they survive this?

Chapter 3 : Well I can get there, But it's more of a ping pong than a blitzkrieg
    damn it's a long title

Where did that 12 carracks go?
    Massacring Malaysian, I mean, Malaccan ships I guess
    Nice, we're safe and the Malaccans are dying!

After successfully landing in Kutei, the troops take a month-long march towards the capital

And then a month-long march catching up with the retreating foes

And another month-long march back to the capital

And back again

And again
    And again
    And again
    And again and again and again and again

Finally,

Before anything bad happens, because brunei provinces are dirt-poor we can do this

And I thought taking down a giant with a navy twice your own should be fun *sigh*

Here's the world after we take down Brunei

Timurids are broken apart
    And Ethiopians somehow won against Adal, no gangbangs?

At least the Borneo ping pong match is over right?
    You know what's the worst thing about winning?

The losing side wants a rematch
    That sucks

And that sucks even more
    How can I kill Malaccans with a regency

And that, well, that's a pity

And to add in the misery

We're gonna go bankrupt in 8 months
    Our economy is so screwed...

Or maybe not

Next :
    It's horrible, and it starts with an R

52 games registered

Deus VultDungeonlandEast India Company CollectionEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneImpireEuropa Universalis III: In NomineIron CrossLeviathan: Warships
    The Kings CrusadeMagickaMajesty II CollectionMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeRome GoldSemper FiSengoku
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisWarlock: Master of the Arcane
    War of the RosesEU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    EUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
    Crusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of India

You can warn neighbours while having regency, hoping to get into a war.

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneMagickaVictoria 2500k club

R?
    Rebels?
    Regency?
    Raging Malaccans?
    Ryukyu?
    "When in doubt, C4!" - Jamie Hyneman
    "Life is a worthless game, but the graphics are awesome."

My AARs are stored in My Inkwell

Quote Originally Posted by Mico94 View Post
    R?