• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Just to let you know: I made a poll on the TaleWorlds forum Adition of this AAR, about whom I should attack next. You can also post your vote here, I'll take them into account.

Who should I attack next?

Nords: They split my land in several pieces. If I defeat them, my country would be a whole again. And they are growing in might, which could hinder the growth of Holland.
Rhodoks: I haven't had much to do with them so far, but they have grown weak recently. It looks like they will be defeated soon by a coalition of Nord and Sarrqanid forces. I could prevent that by usurping them myself.
Sarranids: They are my allies, but are growing strong. They would never suspect an attack from their friendly northern neighbours.

In the end 49 people voted:
Nords: 36 (73.5%)
Rhodoks: 9 (18.4%)
Sarranids: 4 (8.2%)
So the next target will be the Nords. But keep in mind that I'll have to prepare for that war.

Chapter 42: Meet the Masters
31 May 1260

Dear Diary,

Floris Industries is making me a profit with their tools, but I needed to expand for even more. The only problem was that the global iron production wasn't sufficient to support more towns with such heavy production. So I decided to expand into other businesses. I took quite some money from the national treasury, and set out to the Sarranid desert, to the city of Bariyye. I wanted to buy land from the guild master, but he told me that no-one was daring enough to sell me some. Apparently emir Atis, ruler of the city, was somewhat upset with me. He was patrolling nearby, so I set out, and asked him if I could help. Luckily I could: he just wanted me to train some mamlukes. He gave me five recruits, and I gave him five of my personal mamlukes. That more than satisfied him.

When I returned to Bariyye, the merchants had heard of my generous donation to their emir, and were more than willing to sell me a piece of their land. I build there both a weavery and a dyeworks, which would produce velvet. The master dyeworker would sell it in this city too: a fully automated business which I wouldn't have to look out for. The build cost unfortunately would take a time to be earned back, but so be it. In the long run I would have a profitable business.

042a.png

The newly opened dyeworks in Bariyye and the master dyer. He looks very familiar to the master smith back home. Are they related?

From Bariyye I rode to Durquba, where I set up a similar venture. But when I came in Ahmerrad, I noticed that velvet wasn't the most profitable good available: in this city, it was wine. So I decided to buy some cheaper land and build several wine presses. Everyone knows the wine from Yalen, and before the collapse of its industry Suno's too. Now people would have to learn real Floris-made Ahmerrad-wine.

042b.png

The wine presses of Ahmerrad. Is the master vinter a brother of the previous two masters?

When I arrived in Shariz, the people were wary of me. No wonder that they didn't trust strangers that easily: the city had been the Rhodoks main target for many years. Before they were willing to sell me anything, they asked me to deliver money to the kidnappers of the daughter of one of his friends. I hadn't heard that in a long time, so I took the money, and set out to Curaw: the bandits had made camp pretty close to that city.

I hadn't spoken in a long time to them, so when I finally arrived at the scene, it was a joyfull joining of our bands. They gave us some beer, while we shared our bread. After this feast, we came down to business: I gave them their money, and they handed over the girl. But when I told them that they'd better continue their business outside my territories, since it wouldn't be good for both our businesses if my subjects saw us feasting together, they became angry. 'We can decide where we want to kidnap innocent girls,' the headman shouted, at which I demanded the money back, as a compensation for the use of my property. They refused, and swords were drawn. The fight was quick, since they were no match for my mamlukes, but unfortunately one of them fled with most of the money. Too bad, but the girl was safe. I returned her to her home in Shariz, after which the guild master gratefully allowed me to buy some land. Once again velvet wasn't the best investment, so instead I build a linen weavery.

042c.png

The linen weavery of Shariz. The master... I wonder if it's the same person, or some kind of sick Twin Experiment?

I rode back through my eastern country, and brought iron to all cities. While I was underway, one of my prisoners, Rochabart noyan, managed to escape from my prison tower. But where would he go? He remained loyal to the khan, which was still in my prison. There was no time to wonder, since I had to continue my journey to the original Nord cities. My first stop was Wercheg, where I build both a weavery and a dyeworks to produce more velvet. Then I rode to Sargoth, where I also bought more velvet industry. While I was on my way, I heard that both the Sarranids and Rhodoks concluded a nonaggression treaty. I bet it was sultan Hakim's idea.

After I had bought that velvet industry for 10,000 denars in Sargoth, I needed to get more money, so after I did a refill in all my cities, I took another 10,000 from my capital's treasury and started the famous trade run. On the way I'd visit all the cities with foundries to replenish the iron supply, and keep it at it's maximum. Also I'd pay for industries on the way. I started velvet industries in Suno, Tihr, Uxkhal and Yalen. But when I arrived in Jelkala, that wasn't feasible. That city is the heart of the velvet Empire, so starting a velvet industry over there would be useless. Instead I build a tannery.

042d.png

The tannery of Jelkala. These masters are starting to freak me out. If I see their faces one more time, I'll start a war or something.

After this I continued to Praven, but the merchants over there didn't want to discuss any transaction of land. Hadn't I caused the downfall of their Swadian kingdom by declaring independence? To ease their minds, I asked if I could do anything to make up for it. after some thinking, the guild master handed over 9 barrels of ale: I needed to deliver them to Veluca. Once I got there, I found out that olives were more rare than velvet, so I started to build love presses over there. In the meantime I heard that the Rhodoks and Nords concluded a nonaggression pact.

042e.png

The olive press of Veluca. That's it: I'm done with them. Someone has to pay! There must be a war soon.

Still the citizens of Praven weren't satisfied, so I asked the guild master once again what I could do to help. He thought deep, and then came up with protecting a caravan on its way to Durquba. Of course that wouldn't be a problem, although I first visited Sargoth to buy some Flax to sell in that Sarranid city, then rode to Tulga where I bought some spices, then continued to Ahmerrad to sell those and finally ended up in Durquba, both to deliver the caravan and sell my flax. After I returned to Praven, the people were finally prepared to sell me a piece of land to start some velvet industry.

042f.png

In every town you can find both the lion of Floris Industries and a Floris King nearby.

In every town you now come, you can see the lion of Floris Industries. To supply my faraway workers with good food, I started an inn next to every workplace, called Floris King. Every worker in my industry and every citizen of Holland could get a discount on the wines from Ahmerrad and of course the famous pork and chicken sandwiches. Now I'm back in Khudan, and it's time for other important matters. My industry is flourishing: now I can concentrate on the one thing that brought me to this height: war.

042g.png

Gameplay notes
Both Floris' stats and the worldmap haven't changed. The first because I haven't fought much, the second because the Rhodoks made an nonaggression pact with both the Sarranids and Nords, and those two factions seem to be too wary to fight each other. Therefor I show you my latest budget, showing how all those faraway industries I'm not looking after have a big influence on the profit I get each week, ensuring it's 5474 denars to be added to my treasury:
042h.png

Last edited:
These industries are part of the latest patch (v1.125) of the base game. But they haven't officially been released yet. They are fully functional and work like a charm, but the devs are still testing them, that's why they haven't enabled them yet. You can, however, enable them by changing one 1 in a 0, as is being explained over here. So if you install the game and the latest patch you won't find them unless you do that. And then a whole new world opens :).

Ow, and those signs I edited in myself.

Chapter 43: A forbode to war
8 June 1260

Dear Diary,

By the end of May I returned from a long trip through Calradia, starting business ventures in every city. Even though the trip was long and the investments high, it was well worth the effort. But could I improve my current profit even more? As soon as I entered the great hall, I called my loyal chamberlain Aubrey de Vere, my financial expert. Together we did some calculations, and came to the following conclusions:

- I should give away all my villages except three to new lords, to reduce the tax inefficiency. Apparently the workmasters are effected by the tax collectors, and are loosing much of my business profit.
- In Curaw, Dhirim and Veluca I should stockpile the end products instead of locally selling them: it would be better to sell them myself in some more profitable places.
- It would be better to replace the tannery in Jelkala by a dyeworks, stockpile the velvet and sell it elsewhere.

With these changes my business would reach its optimum. I was glad that both Deglan and Klargus were here too. Both have come to their senses, and left their services to the former Khergit khanate. I rewarded Klargus with the village of Dashbighar and Deglan with Bulugur. Hopefully more would follow soon. Before I could continue any of my other businesses, a messenger came bursting in the room. There was a small dispute between citizens of the Nord village of Ryibelet and the Hollandic village of Ruluns about some stream or something like that - nothing too important. But the discussion got out of hand, and the Nords killed some of my farmers, the messenger told me. Now the people of Holland are angry, and shout for repercussions. War must come.

043a.png

A small incident gets out of hand. War is inevitable.

Immediately after hearing this news, I walked to constable Miles de Gloucester, to get the latest updates on my army. In total there were now 4363 soldiers garrisoned in 7 towns and 14 castles, and my lords had 2758 soldiers in the field. That's a total of 7121 soldiers. Only a year ago my total army had 2975 men: the country had surely grown in might. But the Nords shouldn't be underestimated. Together we made up a strategy for the coming campaign.

First I would send one of my companions to the Sarranids, and then to the Rhodoks: I would try to get a nonaggression pact with both. That way they wouldn't attack me in the back. After we had decided this, I send Lezalit immediately to the desert, to talk to sultan Hakim. He was the best persuader I had in my company. After he left, we looked further at our initial attack plan. I would gather all the lords as quickly as I could, and would start my conquest in Wercheg, their top north city. I would work my way south from there. That way they couldn't attack me in the back. If necessary, I would sacrifice my Swadian holdings in order to defeat them.

After we had discussed this, I ordered him to find more recruits and train them - I would need them. Then I set out into the open field, to search for my vassals and order them to come along with me, to create once again a huge marching army. Just after I rode out, Lezalit returned with good news: sultan Hakim agreed to have a nonaggression pact.

043b.png

Lezalit was my loyal messenger who managed to convince sultan Hakim to conclude a nonaggression pact.

On my search for lords, I came across the city of Curaw, where I ordered the master smith to hold on to all the tools. Once I'd visit them again, I'll take them with me and sell for a better price than he can get. After I had arranged this, I rode back to Khudan, and send Lezalit once again out on a mission: this time to conclude a nonaggression pact with the Rhodoks. Unfortunately king Graveth apparently had other plans, and didn't want to bind himself to me with such a treaty. Well, then he also shouldn't complain if there are Rhodoks casualties to be seen in the upcoming war.

I rode through the Former Vaegir and Khergit lands, and spoke to all the lords I came across. In the end I had an army with 14 lords following me. I could ride to my Swadian holdings and search for every last of them, but that would take up too much of my time: already a week had passed. My preparations we ready. Before I was justified for war, I had to do one more thing: I send Lezalit to the Nords, and let him demand reprimands for the killing they had done in the village of Ruluns. As expected, they refused to acknowledge any of the demands.

043c.png

Lezalit did his best, but the Nords just didn't listen.

There was no other option left. My army was ready, I had an agreement with the Sarranids and the Nords refused to listen to reason. So on the 8th of June I declared war on the kingdom of Nords, a move all of my lords appreciated. Those scumbacks would get what they deserve. Pah, killing innocent villagers... It is time I'd take over the scepter.

043d.png

War!

043e.png

Gameplay notes
Here is a picture of Floris' current stats, even though they haven't changed a bit:
043f.png

Here is the map of the current situation. As you can see, the only thing that has changed, is that I gave a few fiefs away. For the rest nothing has changed. But soon that will be different, for there will be brawl.
043g.png

Last edited:
Enewald: I hope they will, so I can sneak behind them in their northern territories, and crush them ;). But I'm afraid it won be that simple...

history dude: Looking at the armies, a massacre it will be. but Iḿ afraid it won be only Nords that die...

Enewald: I hope they will, so I can sneak behind them in their northern territories, and crush them ;). But I'm afraid it won be that simple...

history dude: Looking at the armies, a massacre it will be. but Iḿ afraid it won be only Nords that die...

Monnikje,

I want to thank you again for you AAR here. You inspired me to get the game and i am enjoying it very much. 48,000 denar and a 100 man army composed of Rhodaks and I am ready to go!! :D

Ccbasin & history dude: Thanks! It's really great to hear that you got the game, and enjoying it much too :D.

I'm sorry for my absence last week: it was a pretty busy week after all. My birthday, my birthday party, cooking for more than a dozen people, biking across the country, writing and the soccer match. I hadn't had any time to continue my game in Warband :shock:. But now I can get back to it.