• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Lighthearter

The Ship's Magician
41 Badges
May 15, 2009
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Iron Cross
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Deus Vult
  • Darkest Hour
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Tyranny - Tales from the Tiers
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • BATTLETECH
  • Knights of Honor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Tyranny: Gold Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
Alright - who's played the Red Alert games? That's what this is based on. I've been thinking about a total conversion mod for a while now and I wanted to first see if there was interest and next see if I could get people into the project if there was any interest. I can't make graphics at all - But I can do text editing. I can also make events (usually:D).

A list of what I envision at this stage(ATM this thread is mostly for debate and discussion):

- First version as RA1, with later ones for RA2 and RA3, with an event to decide which if a unified single mod
- Either only two nations (Allied and Soviet) or two alliances
- New names and pics for almost all units
- New SKIF icons for stuff
- Perhaps a rebuilt techtree
- Maybe some new unit types? E.G. helicopter gunships?

Any other ideas are welcome - Maybe we can put together something cool if we work together!:D

- Lighthearter

Now I'm sorry if you think this post is worthless but i have played ra1, ra2, and ra3, well parts of ra3. I would love this mod if it is created but i have really no knowledge of modding but i could test and give ideas. First off i would say that don't just make it 2 nations but 2 alliances sounds right for the story and make a 3rd for the 3rd ra where the japs come in. You could also make events for special units like Tanya and such. You would have to make a new techtree from scratch for all the crazy things that are in red alert. I fully support this mod :D and i would love to get to test it. P.S. I would love to see some telsa troopers roaming around in Europe xD. P.P.S. There could also be something for Yuri I'm not sure what but just an idea. Maybe a civil war or something in the likes of that.

I don't think it's worthless at all! Right now ideas and interest from the community is what I need:D

Hmm - two alliances was the initial thought - and the Japanese alliance for later . . . that would mean Yuri was his own faction if we include him . . . works for me!:D

- Lighthearter

The question would be is if there is any peace time. I have no idea when war started in ra1 timeline. :\

I'm thinking a 1946 starting scenario. Then RA1 kicks off around the turn of the decade and goes on until somewhere near 1954-56. RA2 would begin in 1959. RA3, if the events of RA2 didn't happen, would be occurring somewhere near 1963, with the game's end date in 1970.:)

Anyway, any other ideas on that score are appreciated. Also, since "Medium Tank" and "Cruiser" are not good AoD class names, I've been drawing inspiration for naming them from this mod for Red Alert 3. Note that the link will take you to the mod's wiki - you can browse all their units and such to your heart's content.;)

Anyway, I've started conceptualizing the opening state of the world + some technologies.:D

- Lighthearter

Now since this is Red Alert wouldn't there be special faction tech trees? Like (Had to look in my CnC Manual xD) Tesla Coils for Soviets and Pillboxes for Allies. I also think that if you research Those types of topics they could be brigades of something with the likeings or like they could increase units defence.

Hmmm I wonder if there can be anything done with ore trucks. You could build them (They would have to be very expensive like in the game) and it could increase a small amount of mineral gain. Or ore refinaries.

OK - here's a conceptual Battleship tech tree:

Great War Battleship (1936)
Basic Interwar Battleship (1939)
Improved Interwar Battleship (1941)
Advanced Interwar Battleship (1943)
Early Red War Battleship (1946)
Mid Red War Battleship (1949)
Late Red War Battleship (1953)
Post Red War Battleship (1957)
Nano Battleship (1961)

And a conceptual tank tree:

MAIN BATTLE TANKS -

Great War Tank (1936)
Basic Interwar Tank (1939) - BRANCH OFF - HEAVY ARMOR
Improved Interwar Tank (1941)
Advanced Interwar Tank (1943) - BRANCH OFF - LIGHT ARMOR
Early Red War Tank (1947)
Mid Red War Tank (1950)
Late Red War Tank (1953)
Post Red War Tank (1956)
Nano Tank (1960)

LIGHT ARMOR -

Interwar Light Tank (1945)
Early Red War Light Tank (1949)
Late Red War Light Tank (1954)
Nano Light Tank (1958)

HEAVY ARMOR -

Basic Interwar Heavy Tank (1944)
Improved Interwar Heavy Tank (1946)
Advanced Interwar Heavy Tank (1947)
Early Red War Heavy Tank (1950)
Late Red War Heavy Tank (1954)
Post Red War Heavy Tank (1957)
Nano Heavy Tank (1960)

Any thoughts? Also, I think that defenses will be the icons for the factional land forts - but MCV's might make an appearance as a brigade type.;)

- Lighthearter

OO sweet im liking this xD. How would inf work is what i was thinking. I just assume that there would be different more advanced versions of conscripts (or rifle infantry) like it is with infantry in vanilla HoI. But there would have to be telsa troopers and what not walking around.

Wow, normally these kinds of mod die at the first months of development. I wish you luck with it! Its a ghreat idea and it should be exploited.

Thanks gianlucad.:D

To anyone else who looks, this project at the moment has only me in it. I need people to help out - even if it's just by shooting ideas around. But we(I) really do need more team members.

Anyhow, I'm off to go and try to update my AAR's. After that I'll be back to musing over what to put in this mod.

- Lighthearter

P.S. - CakeIsBeast - I'm thinking that things like the Allied Javelin soldier are parts of the division itself, but the commandos and Tesla Troopers and Shinobi and Spies and such form "Special Infantry Brigades". Dunno yet exactly how they modify infantry divisions, but what's your opinion?

Well Telsa Troopers would have to be powerful since they are anti infantry and anti tank. What could be done with those special units that could only be built once in Red Alert though? Could they be an event driven unit like there are in Mod34? Say you could choose to train that type of unit for a fee of resources and what not? It would have to take months to create as well. You could make the allied flak tanks from RA2 an individual unit itself or as a brigade and it could add anti air attributes to the division it's placed in. Hmmm also for troop transports they could possibly be used as a brigade to make the units go faster. I'll continue to try to make up ideas as the day goes by. But so you're saying that make all the basic infantry and just say its what goes into regular infantry?

P.S. I would be willing to join the team as a tester or something of that like since I'm really not a modder just a player xD. But I'm willing to learn how to mod but I'm not sure if there's a place or a person who could teach me or even want to teach me. So that might be difficult but just throwing it out there.

Its none of my business but you would be needing this I think;
einstein_albert_portret.png

Put Yuri as a tech team especialized in mind control tech :rofl:

Hmmm what could be the new brain control tech specialization picture? :p

OK - here's a conceptual Battleship tech

Any thoughts? Also, I think that defenses will be the icons for the factional land forts - but MCV's might make an appearance as a brigade type.;)

- Lighthearter

I'd recommend that MCVs be treated as an advanced model of engineer. Also, the MCV tech should decrease the build time/cost of province improvements, like landforts, airbases, ports, etc (in other words, it should have the same bonuses as the construction engineering techs).

Would also recommend, that if you create Tesla/Flame Tower/Turret/Pillbox techs, that they increase the toughness/defence stats of HQ units.

Last edited:
Excellent pics! Nice to see involvement and interest. I'm hoping that we can get some people who will do the actual modding. My life is just too full right now. I'm having to drop some AAR's to balance.

So in short, I'll not be making any modding on this project. Perhaps I can find the time to put together some basic events and such, but I really need others to step in and do the work, because RL is kicking my butt big time.

Bottom line? I'm pretty much here for council and "general vision" guidelines at this point.

Oh, and I worked out the rank names:

LAND:
Colonel (Mj. General)
Lt. Commander (Lt. General)
Commander (General)
General (Field Marshal)

SEA:
Lt. Commander (Rear Admiral)
Commander (Vice Admiral)
Commodore (Admiral)
Admiral (Grand Admiral)

AIR:
... Haven't gotten there yet:D

And I was initially going to say MCVs were engineers, but I think they fit better as HQs now. Blame my older brother who barely plays HOI2 but gets to listen to me rant and rave about the numbers and his fits of mad genius:D

- Lighthearter