Colonization Success FAQ
NOTE: Lots of changes being made with 1.07+ open Beta, So this info may not be fully correct for those patches.
Changes made in Patch 1.07
- Removed some hardcoded national bonuses on colonisation success.
- Colonial success have now been rebalanced, conquistador bonuses are bigger, early timeperiod gives a penalty, the first attempts gives penalties, the production efficiencies gives bonuses and the number of current colonies gives a penalty. Basically, the ADM value of the monarch affects how many colonies can be maintained at the same time below colonial city status. This is only valid for colonies not attached to the mainland of the nation.
- It is now slighly more expensive to start a new tradingpost.
- Establishing a trading post in a province where the natives have been killed off is now much harder.
- You can no longer place colonies or tradingposts in provinces which you can not trace a discovered and unblocked path too.
System used in 1.06 and lower.
Percentage chance to Colonize = BP-(DM+CM)+CB+NB+OB
The Maximum is capped at 95%
The Minimum is 1%
BP = Base percentage:
Under optimal conditions is 80%
DM = Difficulty Modifier:
DM=(Aggressiveness of natives + Colonization Modifier) * 4
Aggressiveness of Natives and Colonization Difficulty Modifier can both be found in provinces.csv.
CM = Climate Modifier:
CM = 10 if Climate = 4 or 6
CM = 0 for all others.
Note: Nations who's capitol has a climate of 4 or 6 are exempt from this penalty.
Climate can be found in provinces.csv.
CB = Conquistador Bonus:
CB= 3 times their Movement rating.
Note: Explorers can add their movement rating x3 if in port in the province. But obviously that cannot be done on the first attempt at colonizing as no port exists yet. Also the bonuses are not cumulative, It takes the higher of the two values.
NB = Nation Bonus:
For Spain: + 22 % (note: This bonus does not apply to Castile or Aragon)
For England: + 20 %
For France: + 10 %
For Portugal: + 10 %
For Netherlands: 10 %
Other nations = +0%
+5% if province already contains a Trade Post.
+5% if province is your state religion.
+8% if province is your state culture.
+5%/Level of existing colony.
(note: This accounts for why many believe that the first level of a colony adds 18% since colonizing changes it to your religion and culture as well. 5+8+5 =18)
Factors NOT affecting Colonization Success:
1.Number of natives do not matter. 100 or 10000 no difference.
The exception is if no natives are present because they were killed off, or there is a native uprising going on. Then the Aggressiveness of Natives is removed from the DM calculation.
2. Your Monarchs Diplomacy, Military and Administration ratings do not affect colonization success.
3. Despite what the Manual says No bonus for adjoining colonies was observed.
4. Stability does not effect your Colonization Success.
5. Having a neighbouring Centre of trade.
6. Difficulty level.
7. Tech levels.
8. Other nations armies currently in the province have No effect.
9. Your own nations army in provence without a Conquistador, Before or after first colony is established.
Level 1 = 1-199 population
Level 2 = 200-299
Level 3 = 300-399
Level 4 = 400-499
Level 5 = 500-599
Level 6 = 600-699 (if population reaches level 6 any natives left in the province will join the colony and add their numbers to the population.)
Colonial City = 700-5000
CRC does not recognize Catholic as same religion.
As an example lets look at two Islands, without a conquistador, no colony present, player is Castile.
Aggression level: 9
Colonization factor: 3
Applying the formula we get:
80 - (((9+3)*4)+10) + 0 + 0 +0 =22%
Aggression level: 5
Colonization factor: 4
Applying the formula we get:
80 - (((5+4)*4)+0) + 0 +0 +0= 44%
rmcleod : National Bonuses.