• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Does "national focus" on railway mean we will be unable to buid railroads directly??? Even in planned economy???

Can you direct which culture(s) you want to attract for immigration?

So Australia for example could say they want more people from the United Kingdom rather then from, say, Morocco?

Last edited:
Good call on scaling the no. of national focuses with pop nos. I felt this was a handicap for large empires in eu3. This is shaping up to be hopefully a very good game. Remember test test test!

Mucho Awesome :D

I just have one question: can these colonial skimishes escalate into full blown war (without the player necessarely planning/wanting war) ?

I guess they would hurt relations so it is possible they can escalate. It would be awsome though, if this escalation could happen fast and be unexpected.

About that migration focus. Say i discover oil in a province can i then persuade people to move in and start pumping this strategic resource rather than have them grow grain somewhere else? This sounds historic and would model colonization in Siberia or the midwest. That d be pretty sweet.

National focus gives you the tool kit to shape you country in a way that fits the period and also sets up choices. Do you want to join in the scramble for Africa or do you feel that developing the home land is number one priority?

How often can these foci be changed / moved? It's not every 25 years again is it? But I do like the idea, encourage the steel industry in Pennsylvania, the Fabric / clothes in another place, timber / furniture elsewhere.

Can we place more than one focus in a state, such as adding both clerks and craftsmen in a state with factories?

Do we still have life sustainability and range from a port for colonization? I like the mechanic that you have to choose between the home front and colonization.

I'd have to see how immigration in handled to comment on promote immigration, but I hope it doesn't all go to just one place. I'd also have to see how the railroad build logic is handled to guesstimate how useful "build railroads here" will be. In Vicky I never had any problems covering the US with railroads. I'm guessing it will impact invention spread as well as actual construction.

Interesting. So say you were playing as the UK and put National Focus points in London, Liverpool and Glasgow for immigration. Would this create large scale Irish immigration into these cities as happened in RL?

Whilst I'm at first tentative about this idea I think it could become very, very good. All depends on how well it is implemented.

Are their nation specific national focus, ie the US manifest destiny or are all such options available to every state?

Right, it would be good to have certain focuses become available thanks to the techs/tech events.

Johan mentioned that techs might affect number of available NFs, but adding new options over time would be awesome - think along the lines of public works (or in case of totalitarian regimes, forced labor), ethnical authonomical regions and such.

Mucho Awesome :D

I just have one question: can these colonial skimishes escalate into full blown war (without the player necessarely planning/wanting war) ?

I'd imagine it'd escalate the more you fight in it. If you have one battle and the other retreats no. If there's multiple battle within a few months, I'd guess it might escalate in an all out war.

How often can these foci be changed / moved? It's not every 25 years again is it?

Yes, that's far too long for the time period. Somewhere between 5-10 years sounds good.

I'd imagine it'd escalate the more you fight in it. If you have one battle and the other retreats no. If there's multiple battle within a few months, I'd guess it might escalate in an all out war.

More like give some sort of casus belli (Vicky 2 uses improved version of CB system from HttT after all). Would be good to see such skirmishes having progressive chance to trigger CB event.

This DD was more or less how I expected it to be from previous hints but it's looking good nonetheless :)

Yes, that's far too long for the time period. Somewhere between 5-10 years sounds good.

Or if the armies are too big?
Though attrition and popular support should take care to limit the army sizes as well (and in fact I'm going to assume that any colonial skirmishes also increase jingoism and sentiment vs the other country back home)...

Hmm, I think this is a matter of testing and balancing once again.

I can foresee some changes to this in the development and patching process. And in the first of the 3 expansions, this will be also changed back to the original values :D

These colonial skirmishes - is there some sort of cap on their scale? If I as France am confident there is no major war on the horizon, what (beyond attrition) stops me loading fifty divisions up and parking them in the Sudan?

Awesome diary, btw.

i reckon a new party coming to power be it though election, revolution or just monarchal government reshuffle would be a good time to be able to change NF's

It started off life as one those design discussions we had. When we thought about the kind of game we wanted Victoria 2 to be, we felt that we should move away from the direct control you saw in Victoria. It was both highly repetitive and ahistoric, a lot of things were determined by people themselves. Now I have read on the forum, but what about authoritarian states like Stalinist Russia? Well the author Orlando Figes was in Stockholm, not too long ago, on a speaking tour to promote his book The Whisperers. He was talking about how people in Stalinist Russia would fake their backgrounds to get round the effects of purges and rise up to positions that they should not have allowed them to enjoy. My own personal conclusion is that even in an authoritarian state like the Soviet Union, state power was not absolute enough to give you the control that Victoria gave you.
From Age of Empires, CIV 1 and probably before, super Stalinist control of an empire has been the staple of the serious empire building strategy game. I wonder if this particular form of playful ultra Communist megalomania has been particular seductive to right wing Liberals and Libertarians.;)