• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Is there a particular balance issue responsible for the decision to only allow one focus per state? It seems to me on the face of things that it wouldn't be unreasonable, for example, to promote both migration and railway construction in Algeria.
My guess is that it is to force the player to make a choice.

Is there a particular balance issue responsible for the decision to only allow one focus per state? It seems to me on the face of things that it wouldn't be unreasonable, for example, to promote both migration and railway construction in Algeria.

Well and i guess both thing are likely to happen, the national focus will just make it happens faster.

I'd like to second (or third, whatever) the hope that there will be a visual marker for the national focus on the map, like the way it's done in EU3. Otherwise, I can see it being very easy to forget where it is, and then either have to go sifting through provinces or hunting through menus.

If I may ask, just to reclarify, I can use the new national focus to attract British farmers and miners to say move to South Africa and Australia? It dosen't just have to be bureaucrats?

It can be any POP type to emigrate and/or promote to

That was what I thought. In these cases, I imagined national focus represented "agencies, word of mouth, ethnic associations, and familial contacts." King indicated, however, that I did not "get it." Now I am not so sure.

There are more factors than simply national focus. Setting national focus is barren desert is not going to get hundreds of thousands of people emigrating there.

It can be any POP type to emigrate and/or promote to

Encourage emigration is by POP type? That is not clear from the interface. I was worried that only one "immigrate here" per country would be worth it, and 2 immigration foci would split any bonus immigration by half. I do worry that a state with both farmer and laborer RGOs would only get one or the other.

I'm also curious how you promote aristocrats. Farmers jumping from poor to high income strata seems a bit much. Do they promote from officers and clergy, or from Artisans as well?

Will there be an encourage immigration foci as well? Or just emigration within the empire? And does it only encourage state culture POPs to move around, or all POPs?

Does having more pops in a province make it more likely for pops of different classes to immigrate there as well? As in, would sufficient numbers of immigrant farmers going into the American West eventually cause clerks and artisans to follow?

There's climate and province size at least, DD #17 has a screenshot with a province screen of Bergen (mild winter, mountains, province size *4). There does seem to be a "thermometer" display of life rating as in Vicky as well. Life rating should be a separate value but probably affected by climate, in my opinion.

I think life rating should affect how many immigrants a province gets, but also people should prefer to emigrate to provinces with similar climates (&terrain?) to their home provinces. This would lead to Nordic peoples (more probably) moving to the Michigan, Minneapolis, Canada, Dutch and English moving to the plains in S Africa, and similar historical outcomes. Which were logical as well. If you're a Spanish farmer, you'd rather move to California or Florida, with warm climates as well, than to snowy Canada. Finns, Swedes, etc. would be less intimidated by the winters of Canada and the Northern US, but might not feel at home in tropical swamplands like Florida and Louisiana.

No you cannot expand RGOs anymore, if all the land is beign farmed, then all the land is beign farmed.

Whaaaaaaaat???? You can dig dipper to get more coal, you can convert forest into farmland, you can cut more trees to get more timber etc... :mad:

Whaaaaaaaat???? You can dig dipper to get more coal, you can convert forest into farmland, you can cut more trees to get more timber etc... :mad:

If all the land is being farmed, then the forest has already been converted.

And that is shown by the number of people working there, but the existence of some kind of limit is important. Every place has only so much mineable place, specific number of forests and the best land for agriculture is used first.
Expanding RGOs was just bad gameplay. Yes, you can expand mine (but how much it depends on quantinty of raw material), plant forest or clear forest for farming, but that is something people do all the time and not government. Some predetermined limit on number of people who are able to work on each RGO tells you about quality of each place. how muach arable land it has, how many forests it can support and also about the quantity of ore deposits.

If all the land is being farmed, then the forest has already been converted.

Yes, but not ALL the land is already being farmed in all the provinces, isn't it?

Oh, c'mon, it doesn't make any sense: when I need to produce more steel I'll invest more money in iron production - thus expanding RGO. Taking it away is a nonsense.

Re telesien: yes, it does. In planned economy for instance.

Yes, but not ALL the land is already being farmed in all the provinces, isn't it?

Oh, c'mon, it doesn't make any sense: when I need to produce more steel I'll invest more money in iron production - thus expanding RGO. Taking it away is a nonsense.

Re telesien: yes, it does. In planned economy for instance.

If the RGO is full then all the land is farmed.

ok, what about mines in this case?

What about them? They are just at max. "size" right off, their output depends on the manpower and technology used, that's all. It will still scale over time, especially with technology, but also with people migrating to the province.

RGO expansion was just bad mechanics. What was great about having to click every now and then to allow people that already are in province to work there? Was there any gain from not clicking? Was there any strategy in that?

Your real choice in RGO expansion should be focused on making people get there (national focus) and providing them with motivations to stay (national/regional policies, issues) - as it's something that gives you real choice (you can focus on something else, but it comes with the price). Mechanical clicking provinces to expand RGOs was just silly and unproductive.

What about them? They are just at max. "size" right off, their output depends on the manpower and technology used, that's all. It will still scale over time, especially with technology, but also with people migrating to the province.
(...)
Mechanical clicking provinces to expand RGOs was just silly and unproductive.

It is rubbish. When Soviet Russia was industrializing, many new mines have been build. There isn't any better way to simulate it rather than expanding RGO.

So in Vic2 we will be unable to: convert POPs to soldiers (allowed in Vic1 and RL), expand RGOs (allowed in Vic1 and possible in RL), exchange provinces and technologies (allowed in Vic1 and in RL).... did I miss something?

It is rubbish. When Soviet Russia was industrializing, many new mines have been build. There isn't any better way to simulate it rather than expanding RGO.

So in Vic2 we will be unable to: convert POPs to soldiers (allowed in Vic1 and RL), expand RGOs (allowed in Vic1 and possible in RL), exchange provinces and technologies (allowed in Vic1 and in RL).... did I miss something?

Nope, you've got a real understanding of this game.