• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Johan

Studio Manager Paradox Tinto
Administrator
Paradox Staff
15 Badges
Dec 14, 1999
  • Diplomacy
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • War of the Roses
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Magicka
  • Starvoid
We've talked a bit about national focus before in previous developer diaries. Here is the developer diary we devote to this subject. National focus is something that began life in Heir to the Throne .It was something you could place in a province and would give benefit to that province and its neighbours and also allow access to special decisions. It could be moved fairly infrequently and was thus an important choice on where to place it. In Victoria 2, however, it has been developed a bit further.

It started off life as one those design discussions we had. When we thought about the kind of game we wanted Victoria 2 to be, we felt that we should move away from the direct control you saw in Victoria. It was both highly repetitive and ahistoric, a lot of things were determined by people themselves. Now I have read on the forum, but what about authoritarian states like Stalinist Russia? Well the author Orlando Figes was in Stockholm, not too long ago, on a speaking tour to promote his book The Whisperers. He was talking about how people in Stalinist Russia would fake their backgrounds to get round the effects of purges and rise up to positions that they should not have allowed them to enjoy. My own personal conclusion is that even in an authoritarian state like the Soviet Union, state power was not absolute enough to give you the control that Victoria gave you.

So as you have seen in previous developer diaries we have done a lot to try and make state control more indirect and thus more historic, and at the same time remove the micromanagement. However, we hit the horns of a dilemma, what the micromanagement gave you was a way to shape your country. This shaping of the country was half of the fun of Victoria and to remove that would make Victoria 2 some soulless clone of Victoria. So how do we give the player this ability to shape their country in a way that was both historic and did not inject in micromanagement? The answer is National Focus.

We have made changes to national focus, instead of being a single province you can now have several and they cover a whole state. Each state can have only one national focus marker. The total number of national focus points depends on the number of national POPs you have and your technology level, each country always has a minimum of one national focus point. Thus no matter which country you play you will always have options. In addition we also set up a trend in the game of increasing state power, which we feel captures an aspect of that period in history.

As we mentioned in a previous developer diary it is a tool to shape your population. National focus can be used to 'encourage' your POPs to move somewhere and become something. The exact form this encouragement takes depends on your own personal suspension of disbelief. It allows all sorts of historical events to be modelled; a USA player can use national focus to encourage the settlement of the interior of the US. A Dutch player could set national focus in the Netherlands East Indies and encourage bureaucrats to move out there and man the colonial bureaucracy. However, national focus is not just about POPs.

National focus can be set in a state to encourage railways or goods production. Even the most hands off government appreciated the strategic potential that railways offered and did much to encourage the development of railways in areas that they felt were important. The production of goods types covers both artisans and capitalists. Setting a marker in a state for a good will encourage artisans to make it and capitalists to build/expand factories of that type. Thus if you are in a war and need more guns, you can use your powers of persuasion to convince business to do more for the war effort.

The last thing that National focus is used for is colonisation. You can set a national focus marker in an uncolonised state and start to claim it. The control amount slowly ticks up by a random amount, so just because you are first in a state doesn't mean that someone else might get lucky and beat you. If you want to increase your chances of claiming a state you can send in troops, the presence of troops in a state will increase the amount your claim ticks up by. This might just give you the edge to beat some who already has a placed a claim in front of you. What happens if they too send troops? In this situation countries who are both claiming a colony can fight each other inside the state. This allows Fashoda style skirmishes without needing the whole messy colonial war mechanic. Now you can skirmish with allies and friends for colonies without having to burn all your bridges and go fight a war.

National focus gives you the tool kit to shape you country in a way that fits the period and also sets up choices. Do you want to join in the scramble for Africa or do you feel that developing the home land is number one priority?

attachment.php

Attachments

• vic2_alpha_april14.jpg
    vic2_alpha_april14.jpg
    744 KB · Views: 27.396
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure I'm happy with these ideas right away, but I'm confident they will turn out to be correct choices.

Edit: Yes, after reading it again, I think I do like it. :)

Last edited:
This looks like a nice idea, but I wonder how this will interact with other tools of governmental influence. Or is it meant to be the primary way of interacting with the non-governmental side of your country? (budget sliders being the government functions)

The colonial side looks great in any case. I just wish for some infrastructure building. That seems more important for claims than troops.

I like it.

So, the picture illustrating the diary... does it mean you customize your focus, as "in state X I promote soldiers, railroads and arms industry (Focus 1), while in state Y I promote clerks, immigration and consumer goods industry (Focus 2)?"

Sounds very good. The level of micro in Victoria was unrealistic and at times tedious. The lack of micro in the recent 4X space game Distant Worlds is not good either. This looks like it could be a good compromise.

Answers the control of population movements and the initial colonisation questions. Nice.

I like how the national focus is incoporated into it. Hopefully the low tech level of the large asian countries gives them only 1 or 2 national focus, severely restricting their ability to colonise without adversly affecting their own state... or will their be other limits on who can colonise aswell?

Either way, I'm fairly positive about this addition. Hope it works as well as I imagine.

That's great. Simply Awesome.
When I began reading the diary I thought "but what if I want to give a state extra railways but not promote migration?" although looking at the screenshot shows that there are many different types of National Focuses available.
I'm especially pleased that Colonial Wars are being modeled that way, where claims on a colony can escalate into warfare. Although, can colonial conflict spill over into other colonies?

or will their be other limits on who can colonise aswell?

One of the previous DDs stated, that only 16 first countries (in terms of the highest prestige) can colonize. Purely game mechanics limitation, intended to make prestige even more meaningful.

I still ponder, if using focus points for colonization (mind you, not speeding up colonization, but actual colony claiming) will work as intended.

It's certainly good choice gamewise (between internal development or global expansion), but I"m not entirely sure if it worked this way in real life.

So it turns out the mystery map mode is some kind of arrow into circle thing. Same symbol turns up on the population tab, where it sits beside a fraction.

I am mystified. Is it a national focus mode? Why is it on the population tab?

So, the picture illustrating the diary... does it mean you customize your focus, as "in state X I promote soldiers, railroads and arms industry (Focus 1), while in state Y I promote clerks, immigration and consumer goods industry (Focus 2)?"

As I understand it, you can only focus on one thing at a time in one state, as it was stated you can only have one marker per state. So for Munster Immigration focus was chosen (I assume, look at the icon beside the name).

A question: is the 1/2 in the top bar under the population tab your amount of focus points?

Oh, and nice DD. As always we can only hope this works well in-game. And that King comes back to answer a few questions soon ;)

Do we get any answers this time from you Johan?

King is apparently not available at the moment...

King is not around for this week. I'm crappy at answering things compared to him

One of the previous DDs stated, that only 16 first countries (in terms of the highest prestige) can colonize. Purely game mechanics limitation, intended to make prestige even more meaningful.

Wasn't it the 16 top powers, not neccessarily the top 16 most prestigeous powers?

Isn't there a new icon for bureaucrats?
And also why is their percentage and the percentage of aristocrats highlighted in national focus selection? Do they have some effect on how well the given focus will work?

EDIT: Also given the type of goods this shown focus stimulates, wouldn't it be more suitable to call it "Encourage alcohol consumer industry?" ;)

Immigration! :cool:

Is King dead? Did you kill King, Johan?