+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Development Diary #20 - National Focus

Studio Manager Paradox Dev Team Johan's Avatar
    Crusader Kings II

Blog Entries

Development Diary #20 - National Focus

We've talked a bit about national focus before in previous developer diaries. Here is the developer diary we devote to this subject. National focus is something that began life in Heir to the Throne .It was something you could place in a province and would give benefit to that province and its neighbours and also allow access to special decisions. It could be moved fairly infrequently and was thus an important choice on where to place it. In Victoria 2, however, it has been developed a bit further.

It started off life as one those design discussions we had. When we thought about the kind of game we wanted Victoria 2 to be, we felt that we should move away from the direct control you saw in Victoria. It was both highly repetitive and ahistoric, a lot of things were determined by people themselves. Now I have read on the forum, but what about authoritarian states like Stalinist Russia? Well the author Orlando Figes was in Stockholm, not too long ago, on a speaking tour to promote his book The Whisperers. He was talking about how people in Stalinist Russia would fake their backgrounds to get round the effects of purges and rise up to positions that they should not have allowed them to enjoy. My own personal conclusion is that even in an authoritarian state like the Soviet Union, state power was not absolute enough to give you the control that Victoria gave you.

So as you have seen in previous developer diaries we have done a lot to try and make state control more indirect and thus more historic, and at the same time remove the micromanagement. However, we hit the horns of a dilemma, what the micromanagement gave you was a way to shape your country. This shaping of the country was half of the fun of Victoria and to remove that would make Victoria 2 some soulless clone of Victoria. So how do we give the player this ability to shape their country in a way that was both historic and did not inject in micromanagement? The answer is National Focus.

We have made changes to national focus, instead of being a single province you can now have several and they cover a whole state. Each state can have only one national focus marker. The total number of national focus points depends on the number of national POPs you have and your technology level, each country always has a minimum of one national focus point. Thus no matter which country you play you will always have options. In addition we also set up a trend in the game of increasing state power, which we feel captures an aspect of that period in history.

As we mentioned in a previous developer diary it is a tool to shape your population. National focus can be used to 'encourage' your POPs to move somewhere and become something. The exact form this encouragement takes depends on your own personal suspension of disbelief. It allows all sorts of historical events to be modelled; a USA player can use national focus to encourage the settlement of the interior of the US. A Dutch player could set national focus in the Netherlands East Indies and encourage bureaucrats to move out there and man the colonial bureaucracy. However, national focus is not just about POPs.

National focus can be set in a state to encourage railways or goods production. Even the most hands off government appreciated the strategic potential that railways offered and did much to encourage the development of railways in areas that they felt were important. The production of goods types covers both artisans and capitalists. Setting a marker in a state for a good will encourage artisans to make it and capitalists to build/expand factories of that type. Thus if you are in a war and need more guns, you can use your powers of persuasion to convince business to do more for the war effort.

The last thing that National focus is used for is colonisation. You can set a national focus marker in an uncolonised state and start to claim it. The control amount slowly ticks up by a random amount, so just because you are first in a state doesn't mean that someone else might get lucky and beat you. If you want to increase your chances of claiming a state you can send in troops, the presence of troops in a state will increase the amount your claim ticks up by. This might just give you the edge to beat some who already has a placed a claim in front of you. What happens if they too send troops? In this situation countries who are both claiming a colony can fight each other inside the state. This allows Fashoda style skirmishes without needing the whole messy colonial war mechanic. Now you can skirmish with allies and friends for colonies without having to burn all your bridges and go fight a war.

National focus gives you the tool kit to shape you country in a way that fits the period and also sets up choices. Do you want to join in the scramble for Africa or do you feel that developing the home land is number one priority?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	vic2_alpha_april14.jpg‎
Views:	26784
Size:	744.0 KB
ID:	23411  
    Last edited by King; 15-04-2010 at 18:02.

Johan Andersson
    Studio Manager at Paradox Development Studio AB - Follow me at Twitter!

"A patch is never late! Nor is it ever early. It arrives precisely when I mean it to do!"

For our Patching and Expansion Policy, read here...

Read here why EU4 requires steam!

200k clubHoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in Motion
    Crusader Kings IIDeus VultDiplomacyDivine WindFor The Glory
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiShip Simulator Extremes
    Supreme Ruler 2020 GoldSupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisCK2: Holy KnightEU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order

I'm not sure I'm happy with these ideas right away, but I'm confident they will turn out to be correct choices.

Edit: Yes, after reading it again, I think I do like it.
    Last edited by ravensuominen; 14-04-2010 at 14:29.
    Owner of Rome CE + VV, CK + DV, CK II, CotN, EU, EU II, FtG, EU III CE + IN + NA + HttT + DW, EU IV, Victoria + Rev, Victoria II + AHD + HoD, Diplomacy, HoI, HoI II + DD + A, AoD and HoI III + SF + FtM + TFH

This is my real avatar.

Since August 2010 I've considered Friday the 13th a lucky day.

This looks like a nice idea, but I wonder how this will interact with other tools of governmental influence. Or is it meant to be the primary way of interacting with the non-governmental side of your country? (budget sliders being the government functions)

The colonial side looks great in any case. I just wish for some infrastructure building. That seems more important for claims than troops.
    timeo hominem unius libri

200k clubCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindFor the Motherland
    GettysburgHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengokuSword of the Stars
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedCK2: Holy KnightEU Rome Collectors Edition500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms eventWarlock 2: The ExiledEUIV: Wealth of Nations

I like it.
    "So let me get this straight, you want to fly on a magic carpet to see the king of the potato people and plead with him for your freedom, and you're telling me you're completely sane"

Hearts of Iron IIISemper FiVictoria 2

so i am going to be able to colonise Australia and New Zealand properley in Vic 2? sweet.

So, the picture illustrating the diary... does it mean you customize your focus, as "in state X I promote soldiers, railroads and arms industry (Focus 1), while in state Y I promote clerks, immigration and consumer goods industry (Focus 2)?"

Sounds very good. The level of micro in Victoria was unrealistic and at times tedious. The lack of micro in the recent 4X space game Distant Worlds is not good either. This looks like it could be a good compromise.
    Very few of us realise with conviction the intensely unusual, unstable, complicated, unreliable, temporary nature of the economic organisation by which Western Europe has lived for the last half century. We assume some of the most peculiar and temporary of our late advantages as natural, permanent, and to be depended on, and we lay our plans accordingly. On this sandy and false foundation we scheme for social improvement and dress our political platforms, pursue our animosities and particular ambitions, and feel ourselves with enough margin in hand to foster, not assuage, civil conflict in the European family. Moved by insane delusion and reckless self-regard, the German people overturned the foundations on which we all lived and built.
    John M. Keynes, 1919

Do we get any answers this time from you Johan?

King is apparently not available at the moment...

Answers the control of population movements and the initial colonisation questions. Nice.

I like how the national focus is incoporated into it. Hopefully the low tech level of the large asian countries gives them only 1 or 2 national focus, severely restricting their ability to colonise without adversly affecting their own state... or will their be other limits on who can colonise aswell?

Either way, I'm fairly positive about this addition. Hope it works as well as I imagine.
    "For to be free is not merely to cast off one's chains, but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others."

"When we are unwilling to draw clear moral lines between free societies and fear societies, when we are unwilling to call the former good and the latter evil, we will not be able to advance the cause of peace because peace cannot be disconnected from freedom."

That's great. Simply Awesome.
    When I began reading the diary I thought "but what if I want to give a state extra railways but not promote migration?" although looking at the screenshot shows that there are many different types of National Focuses available.
    I'm especially pleased that Colonial Wars are being modeled that way, where claims on a colony can escalate into warfare. Although, can colonial conflict spill over into other colonies?
    1 Clerk
    Nationality: Australian
    Religion: Atheist
    Ideology: Anarcho-Liberal (Libertarian)
    Issues: Free-Trade, Full Citizenship
    Current Work: Student
    Cash Reserves: $Need-Social-Security
    Revoltrisk: 0% (C'est la vie)
    Militancy: 0 (+0.00 It's the Lucky country)
    Consciousness: 8 (+0.2 Reading The Economist)

Quote Originally Posted by Gatkramp View Post
    or will their be other limits on who can colonise aswell?
    One of the previous DDs stated, that only 16 first countries (in terms of the highest prestige) can colonize. Purely game mechanics limitation, intended to make prestige even more meaningful.

I still ponder, if using focus points for colonization (mind you, not speeding up colonization, but actual colony claiming) will work as intended.

It's certainly good choice gamewise (between internal development or global expansion), but I"m not entirely sure if it worked this way in real life.

Master of the Universe CaptRobau's Avatar
    Achtung PanzerArsenal of DemocracyCities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus Vult
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Iron CrossMajesty 2Victoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper Fi
    Sword of the StarsSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderCrusader Kings II: Charlemagne

Sounds like a great improvement. Will make laissez-faire economies a lot more fun. Always went for state capitalism because I could at least shape the course of the my country instead of wait and see what would randomly happen.

200k clubVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessCK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica
    Crusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old Gods
    Crusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaCrusader Kings II: Charlemagne

So it turns out the mystery map mode is some kind of arrow into circle thing. Same symbol turns up on the population tab, where it sits beside a fraction.

I am mystified. Is it a national focus mode? Why is it on the population tab?
    Chief of the Harappa in Dawn of Man (on hold )

AARs
    Fire Emblem: Rekka no Ken AAR (complete)

"To Agitius, thrice consul, the groans of the Britons... the barbarians drive us to the sea, the sea drives us to the barbarians; between these two means of death we are either killed or drowned."

HoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    MagickaRome GoldSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by Alojzy View Post
    So, the picture illustrating the diary... does it mean you customize your focus, as "in state X I promote soldiers, railroads and arms industry (Focus 1), while in state Y I promote clerks, immigration and consumer goods industry (Focus 2)?"
    As I understand it, you can only focus on one thing at a time in one state, as it was stated you can only have one marker per state. So for Munster Immigration focus was chosen (I assume, look at the icon beside the name).

A question: is the 1/2 in the top bar under the population tab your amount of focus points?

Oh, and nice DD. As always we can only hope this works well in-game. And that King comes back to answer a few questions soon

Crusader Kings II

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Phelan View Post
    Do we get any answers this time from you Johan?

King is apparently not available at the moment...
    King is not around for this week. I'm crappy at answering things compared to him

Johan Andersson

"A patch is never late! Nor is it ever early. It arrives precisely when I mean it to do!"

Crusader Kings II

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Macs View Post
    A question: is the 1/2 in the top bar under the population tab your amount of focus points?
    Yes.

Johan Andersson

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineMagickaMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengokuSupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandCK2: Holy Knight
    EU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event
    EUIV: Conquest of ParadiseCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alojzy View Post
    One of the previous DDs stated, that only 16 first countries (in terms of the highest prestige) can colonize. Purely game mechanics limitation, intended to make prestige even more meaningful.
    Wasn't it the 16 top powers, not neccessarily the top 16 most prestigeous powers?
    Fear not, for I am with you; Be not dismayed, for I am your God. -Isa 41:10

For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life. -John 3:16
    -------------------------------

My machine specs: i7 2600 @ 3.4 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, Radeon HD6870 with 1 GB RAM, Windows 7 64-bit

200k clubCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDeus VultEuropa Universalis: Chronicles
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourMagickaRome Gold
    Semper FiVictoria 2Mount & Blade: WarbandWar of the RosesCK2: Holy Knight
    500k club

Isn't there a new icon for bureaucrats?
    And also why is their percentage and the percentage of aristocrats highlighted in national focus selection? Do they have some effect on how well the given focus will work?

EDIT: Also given the type of goods this shown focus stimulates, wouldn't it be more suitable to call it "Encourage alcohol consumer industry?"
    "'Religious faith. Belief in daemons, belief in spirits, belief in an afterlife and all the other trappings of a preternatural existence, simply existed to make us all more comfortable and content in the face of a measureless cosmos. They were sops, bolsters for the soul, crutches for the intellect, prayers and lucky charms to help us through the darkness. But we have witnessed the cosmos now, my friends. We have passed amongst it. We have learned and understood the fabric of reality. We have seen the stars from behind, and found they have no clockwork mechanisms, no golden chariots carrying them abroad. We have realized there is no need for god, or any gods, and by extension no use any longer for daemons or devils or spirits."

- Primary Iterator Kyril Sindermann

Benedìctus Deus in Sæcula Hardstuff's Avatar
    200k clubCrusader Kings IIEast India CompanyEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Victoria 2

Immigration!

Is King dead? Did you kill King, Johan?
    Credo in unum Deum, Patrem omnipoténtem, factórem cæli et terræ, visibílium ómnium et invisibílium. Et in unum Dóminum Iesum Christum, Fílium Dei Unigénitum.
    Dómine Fili Unigénite, Iesu Christe, miserére nobis - Gloria in excelsis Deo!
    O Sancta Maria, Mater Dei

Irish Regional Premier of An Comhtháthú Fionlannach-Ceilteach (Suomalais-Kelttiläinen liittokunta)
    "It will all be over by Christmas" - A Multiplayer World War One AAR, from a USA perspective.

200k clubHoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in Motion
    Crusader Kings IIDeus VultDiplomacyDivine WindFor The Glory
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiShip Simulator Extremes
    Supreme Ruler 2020 GoldSupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisCK2: Holy KnightEU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by Hardstuff View Post
    Is King dead? Did you kill King, Johan?
    King will not return late! Nor we he return early. He returns precisely when he means to!
    Owner of Rome CE + VV, CK + DV, CK II, CotN, EU, EU II, FtG, EU III CE + IN + NA + HttT + DW, EU IV, Victoria + Rev, Victoria II + AHD + HoD, Diplomacy, HoI, HoI II + DD + A, AoD and HoI III + SF + FtM + TFH

This is my real avatar.

Since August 2010 I've considered Friday the 13th a lucky day.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast