• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter 8 - Birth of the Republic

August 555

Aife Correid, our beloved chieftainess, decided to turn our tribe into a republic.

attachment.php

Reign of the 2nd Archon, Buite Vodenosid, August 555 - August 557

August 555

I, Aife Correid, your most enlightened chieftainess, hereby proclaim the Military Republic of Catuvellauni. You are no longer tribal folk, you are now citizens!

Over the past twenty years our nation evolved into one of the most important powers in the known world theatre. The need of change has been evident for some time, as its impossible to administrate a state of our size and population of different cultures and religions the same way as a tribal settlement of friendly kinfolk. My studies of famous Greek philosphers and politicians persuaded me to pursue a republican establishment over a monarchical one. Republican goverment allows skilled people to enjoy a promissing political career by assuming variety of the frequently rotated state offices. This helps them to hone their finesses and eventually crown their efforts by being elected Archon, the republic ruler. But even the archons rule for strictly defined terms what prevents usurpation of power and uncontrolled corruption. The Senate, body of the most prominent citizens, elects the Archon and advices him on many matters, especially the foreign policy.

I am the first archon of our newborn republic, but only for this evening, before the newly elected candidate takes the mantle. I have to submit to the republican laws I enacted and wait for 10 years to be eligible for the highest office again. But even my one day rule allows me to introduce the national ideas which I am sure our nation needs most. The National Oracle carried by the High Druids helps our country stability, where the ideas Emancipation and Citizenship allow our people to improve their society status. I have become the leader of the newly established Military faction, which suits my conviction best by promoting high morale and army organization, and which I intend to turn into the most influential party. I will also help the republic interests by serving in the offices of the state.

Our new elect, Buite Vodenosid, is the leader of the Mercantile faction, and he means to promote the public wealth by promoting trade and indulging in foreign diplomacy. Well, we will see. There are three political factions remaining, the Religious believes in stability and omens, the Civic in taxes and construction and the Populists are just demagogues who stirr the common folk feelings. For now, the faction influence in the senate is ballanced but charismatic statesmen can sway the senate opinion toward their faction, especially when they hold important offices.

attachment.php

July 556

As my first post of service to our republic I selected the job of governor of Mauretania, our newly conquered African region. It's a frontier region, at the very edge of the known world, so I concentrate on taming the local barbarians and overseing the founding of a colony in its namesake province. Viridorix, my beloved husband and a member of the Religious faction, served as our diplomat for some time, and he was treated with respect at the courts he visited. They even bestoved some honorary titles upon him. Then he became the governor of Cyrenaica, an important stronghold bordering the ancient Egyptian kingdom. We are separated, hopefuly not for long time, as my mate desires to have a son, kinda bold wish at our age. The political relations between acquaintances and common interests can turn into true friendship and so me and Damona Galbid have become friends. She is an able commander but kinda inept, what closes her the door to higher society.

I also guard the military capability of the republics. I use my influence to promote shipbuilding, as ships are the real strength of every mediterranean nation. The wars depleted our reserves, so we need to rise some mercenary cohorts to fill our ranks. In the provinces of Ikosim I have been approached by local nomads, experts in the taming and training the war elephants. These units are extremely expensive and take years to recruit, but I decided to enlist them as the ultimate weapon of field destruction.

attachment.php

Reign of the 3rd Archon, Carvilius Duratid, August 557 - August 559

August 557

Carvilius Duratid, our new Archon, is a member of the Religious faction thus he meddles into druidic lore and stability. He seems to always have the proper idea for the proper action. Divine Right is good when invoking the omen, National Oracle comes handy when performing pigstabbing and Religious State makes people content. The Blues also wanted to control the censor office and they appointed my husband Viridorix there, with several cohorts under his command to serve as local garison for the capital province.

Disturbed by the Red faction poor election results and low senate influence I decided to retire my governor office and come back to Rome, where I sucessfully pursued the office of Administrator. I must put my every effort to help my faction to prevail, as we are probably the only ones who know how to fight to protect and expand our nation. I I and my hubby now live together in our villa again, so maybe there is still some hope for us. My son, Galan, is about to reach his majority soon, so I have to find a suitable spouse for him and introduce him to the insidious political scene.

attachment.php

War with Rome, again (September 558 - July 559)

The Republic of Rome has still the insolence to pretent they are power of importance, and are unwilling to accept our clear dominance in the Apeninne peninsula. After they imprisoned one of our envoys of goodwill we decided to give them lesson to remember. Without a reasonable army to oppose us all their Italian possesion including their Apulian capital falls under our control soon. The Blues used these cheap victories to boost their popularity in the Senate, of course. In January 559 our forces landed in Taulanti to subdue the weak resistence in Ilyrian and Macedonian provinces. In March 559 Macedonia foolishly entered alliance with the Romans and joined the war against us. The forces they send to save the Romans were repelled and they are going to pay dearly for their shortsightedness.

attachment.php

Gallic Confederation, April 559

Finally my idea of confederacy of celtic nations becomes true. The provinces of Gallia are now led by their local goverments under our protection. They contribute annualy to a common treasury and their administrative concentrates upon intensive cultural exchange with our capital. Soon will Gallia become one of the most civilized parts of the world.

Attachments

• 21-1-Republic_term1.jpg
    21-1-Republic_term1.jpg
    117,5 KB · Views: 1.121
  • 21-2-governors_1024x580.jpg
    21-2-governors_1024x580.jpg
    159,9 KB · Views: 1.107
  • 21-3-Republic_term2.jpg
    21-3-Republic_term2.jpg
    143,6 KB · Views: 1.112
  • 21-4-war_rome.jpg
    21-4-war_rome.jpg
    239 KB · Views: 1.108
  • 21-5-Gallic_Confederacy.jpg
    21-5-Gallic_Confederacy.jpg
    56,6 KB · Views: 1.102
Last edited:
attachment.php

Reign of the 4th Archon, Dumnocoveros Duratid, August 559 - August 561

August 559

The polls were really uncertain and the election results were almost tie, but eventually the Reds achieved their candidate victory. Dumnocoveros Duratid is both sound general and prudent administrator, and those who can't spell his name correctly are going to learn better immediately. He promoted the ideas of Martial Ethos and Professional Soldiers to boost our troops morale and our heavies discipline. He also knows to switch to Tribal Recruitment, when we need quick reinforcement. Introducing Naval Ethos to spirit our sailors before major sea battles and Horse Lords to perform disciplined charge of the light cavalry is also useful. With the military focus and the idea of Citizenship our nation can now cope with the war exhaustion extend effectively.

The need for real commander at our highest office become apparent really quickly. Macedonia called for their allies, who called for more allies ... and we ended at war with a kind of Greek Superleague lead by Achaean League comprising of Crete, Rhodes, Bithynia and the former Macedonia. So we forced Rome to sign cruel peace, leaving only their capital in their possesion, and moved our units to the Greek mainland. I decided to support the war efforts in the position of High General where my superior skills help managing our army organization and siege efficiency. Viridorix went with his men to the war as well, ready to occupy the Peloponnesos.

attachment.php

The Greek War (August 559 - August 561)

Macedonia was quickly subdued but Achaea and Bithynia sent quite formidable armies, so we decided to take defensive stance and deal with the minor alliance partners of Rhodes and Crete. After some tough naval battles we finally controlled the sea and the island republics were under siege about to fall. In autumn 560 massive battles took place in Macedonia, with heavy causalties on both sides ... but we emerged victorious. We trapped the eager Bithynian army on the continent, blockaded the straits of Bospor and sieged their capital. To strengthen our supply lines brave pioneers helped us to establish a new colony in Thracian Maedi. In spring 561 the remaining enemy forces were routed and we started to occupy their territory according to a cunning plan I devised. Our victories helped the Reds to gain majority in the senate and they supported my final plan to utilize our military presence in the region to conquer Ilyria.

In August 561 the hostilities were over and it was our time for a victorious peace. Macedonia, Bithynia and Ilyria were annexed without mercy. Achaean League was stripped to mere two provinces and Crete with Rhodes are now our tributaries. We are now able to collect the Eastern Sound Toll but our territorial gains brought us to direct contact with the powerful Seleucid Empire as well.

26th April 561

My husband prayers were heard and his wishes fulfilled. The gods blessed us with a son which we named Caractacus Marganid. Have to say I was pretty surprised to born a baby in my age of 44 but celtic women are fertile and when the gods allow everything is possible. I want to take care of my precious personally for some time, so I accepted the office of High Admiral, kinda formal position as all the sea battles and operation are over now.

My firstborn son, Galan, has entered marriage with Alkyone Xenonid, important noblewoman from old greek family. She is a lot older then my son, almost in her fourties, but we will benefit politically from this union. Galan then decided to concentrate on gathering personal wealth, necessary for any real republican career. I helped him to get the governor job in Magna Graecia, a region close to our capital expanded significantly after the recent war.

August 561

The elections are at door and the Senate considers Military faction candidates only. No wonder, as I finally reached my goal and turned the Reds into the dominating party. The Populist received a deadly blow when their leader was imprisoned and replaced by an uncharismatic general, who gained renown kinda miraculously when defending our borders from barbarians. Also my former acquaintance, Damona Galbid, was found guilty of conspiracy and put into gaol, and I decide to break all ties with her. There are more political alliances to be forged with more important people. And I have to prepare the candidacy for my second term as the Archon as well.

attachment.php

Running stats (as of Aug 561).

Provinces: 39 (1st, tied with the SE)

Population: 605.0

Citizens: 65.5 (10.8%)
Freemen: 299.8 (49.5%)
Slaves: 239.6 (39.6%)

Stability: +3

Treasury: 601 gold
Monthly balance: 5.29 (3rd)

Taxation: 6.4
Trade: 3.49
Tributes: 2.63
Army maint.: -5.35
Fleet maint.: -2.15

Manpower: 0, maximum: 70,300, monthly: 579

Army: 92 cohorts

Militia: 5
Archers: 25
Heavy Infantry: 38
Cavalry: 13
Horse Archers: 9
Elephants: 2

Fleet: 90 Triremes

War Exhaustion: 10.00
Infamy: 16.6
Tyranny: 3.6

Allies: 5 (all client states)
Tributaries: 19

Attachments

• 22-1-Republic_term3.jpg
    22-1-Republic_term3.jpg
    143,2 KB · Views: 1.090
  • 22-2-greek-war.jpg
    22-2-greek-war.jpg
    244,5 KB · Views: 1.107
  • 22-3_map_august_561.jpg
    22-3_map_august_561.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 1.081
Last edited:
How old is ol' Aife by now?

How old is ol' Aife by now?

She is 44, the best age when life begins ... but everything else ends:D

Well, shall you have more or less civil wars now? :p

I think well managed republic has less uncotrolled civil wars, mainly of the same faction +1 loyality bonus. Also ppl have much more chances to become the ruler, so that ambition actually helps. And tyranny wears off pretty quick so you can use harsh measures more often when needed.

Achab, I'm amazed by what you were able to accomplish from one of the most dead-endy seeming starts. :p

I've always loved playing as tribes, and the British Isles always seemed great to me, but the distinct lack of expansion capability, colonization wise, always really bit down hard. I'd never really liked the idea of spreading over uncivilized lands. But lately, I've been seeing that sometimes it's a great way to speed up development, and I'm going to try the idea of turning Greek city-states into vassals.

Now I just have to figure out how to defeat this gigantic web of allies that the Greek City States have turned into.

Chapter 9 - War has only been this fun couple of times before.

attachment.php

Reign of the 5th Archon, Coilus Vodenosid, August 561 - August 563
Reign of the 6th Archon, Belovesus Galbid, August 563 - August 565
Reign of the 7th Archon, Tincomarus Marganid, August 565 - August 567

Celtic Times: In the recent years our newskin has become the most important mass medium in our republic. We bring you the latest news, political and financial commentaries, reviews and just every possible piece of information our curious readers wish to know. Distributed both on stone and parchment our waterproof newskin is the true guardian of our newly acquired democracy investigating corruption and abuse of power mercilessly.

Celtic Times: The Reds (military faction) under the leadership of our national hero Aife Correid are now widely supported by the Senate. Archons are elected from the best warriors and fortunately they possess some real brains as well. After fortification efforts in some of our frontier provinces the Reds decided Hippo Regius is an integral part of our country for some reason. All our nation readies eagerly for just another traditional Pun Bashing.

attachment.php

Traditional Pun Bashing (June 563 - October 564)

Celtic Times: The Carthaginians never learn to give the proper respect to the envoys of good will we send to their governors. War is declared to teach them just another lesson ... and we want that Hippo Regius anyway. The Punic strenght is gone and they arent able to offer any good fights. All we need to do is to siege their provinces, job which is kinda boring for our spirited troops. Our generals decided to use hired mercenaries for these mundane tasks of war. Aife Correid, who is serving as a censor now, took command of our fleet to hunt down some lone carthaginian vessels, and then debarked with a contingent of loyal veterans in Saguntum and subdued the fortress there by assault in few days easily. Seeing our renowned warrior back in action plundering their cities forced the Puns to cede some more land to us. Our formely scattered african territories now finally resemble a domain.

attachment.php

565 Election Controversy

Celtic Times: In August 565 a new archon was about to be elected. Ten years passed since Aife's last term and the whole coutry expected our national celebrity was certain to win again. But to a popular disgust the constitutional lawyers interpreted the "10 years between archon terms" law in a way which prohibits former archon to even sign in as a candidate for 10 years. Of course a day later the polls were tallied without Aife Correid being considered. "Everyone has to obey the law, even me", commented Aife, but the new archon was clever enough to ensure her loyality by putting our massive fleet under her command. Wise move, indeed, as with so many loyal soldiers our popular heroine can claim the rule by force anytime.

attachment.php

December 566 - The Great Greek War starts
Achaean Campaign (December 566 - June 567)

Celtic Times: When in autumn 556 our Senate decided that Sparta is to be conquered our massive army with significant mercenary contingent was ready for action. The Achaean League was small, but they mustered formidable citizen army to give us a fight or two. While we sieged their forts they called their friends in Pontus for help. And Pontus of course called for more allies, the Bosporean Kingdom and the big brother of all Greeks - the mighty Seleucid Empire. Thus started the Great Greek War, which is yet to put test to our brave warriors and generals and to our leader strategy and tactical genius as well. Some of our client states proved to be less reliable allies and they refused to join us, probably scared by the mighty coalition we fight now. That treachery is to be punished very soon! The Achaeans accepted our generous peace in June 567 but the real war is only begining. We decided to set our line of defense on Bosporus, while our enemies move their impressive armies to siege Bythinia, our bridgehead in Asia.

attachment.php

Reign of the 8th Archon, the Most Exalted Aife Correid, starts in August 567

Celtic Times: Finally! The hopes of our people are fulfilled! Our national superhero Aife Correid has returned to lead us as the Archon. Our warriors are filled with renewed spirit and our enemies tremble in mortal fear as she arrives the war theatre of Asia Minor. The victory in the Great Greek War against the coallition lead by the Seleucids is our priority and our internal issues can wait for now. At least our diplomats were tasked with arranging release of our previous envoys held prisoners abroad, something the Reds were reluctant to allow unless the archon is their faction leader.

Attachments

• 23-1-archon_5-7.jpg
    23-1-archon_5-7.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 918
  • 23-2-bashcart.jpg
    23-2-bashcart.jpg
    203,6 KB · Views: 922
  • 23-3-aifes_loyality.jpg
    23-3-aifes_loyality.jpg
    109,7 KB · Views: 919
  • 23-4-gw_achaean_campaign.jpg
    23-4-gw_achaean_campaign.jpg
    233,2 KB · Views: 918
  • 23-5_aife_reelected_567avc.jpg
    23-5_aife_reelected_567avc.jpg
    79,9 KB · Views: 899
Last edited:
Chapter 9 (cont.) - War has only been this fun couple of times before.

attachment.php

The Great Greek War continues
Campaign of Asia Minor (July 567 - March 569)

Celtic Times: The brave defenders of Bythinia, ready to fight to their last drop of blood, managed to fend off several assaults of the Seleucid army and Aife decided to take risky relieval mission. Our troops surprised the demoralized enemy by night amphibious assault and the Seleucids were routed to Paphlagonia, where they suffed just another infamous defeat. The ancient kingdom of Egypt offered us an alliance here, and we accepted. It assured us of our international importance and renown and no doubt we will join our forces with Egypt soon. In spring 568 we engaged the forces of Pontus and defeated them in a series of pretty bloody battles. Fortunately our causalties were mostly among the mercenary auxillaries we hired. Without any serious opposition left in the Asia Minor the Pontian and Seleucid provinces there were besieged and they started to fall one after the other. The occupation took some time but then, in March 569, the kingdom of Pontus crumbled before us and Aife Correid dictated our terms.

Celtic Times
Pontus, 6th March 569 - We bring you an exclusive interview with our atomic superhero Aife Correid .

Celtic Times: Our Most Enlightened and Wise and Generally Uber Archon, we thank you for this oportunity to ask you some questions on behalf of the whole celtic nation.

Aife Correid: Just "Aife" will do, you bombastic flatterer, and shoot your questions already, don't have the whole day for you, there is a whole war to be won yet.

CT: Ugh, OKay, Aife, then ... is the Great Greek War going well?

Aife: Certainly we can say so, as we just wiped another member of their coalition. But it wont be over until the big guys, the Seleucids, are beaten on their Middle Eastern home ground.

CT: Some of our older generals are kinda unhappy with the wide use of mercenary troops and the fact the sieges of the enemy forts are taking too much time. They feel our warriors are somewhat denied the glory of a battle and the generals cant prove their qualities to gain loyal troops.

Aife: We are no longer a tribe, we are a republic now. We have to value lives of our citizens and we have to stop use them as a ballista fodder in bloody assaults on heavy fortified cities. Several months of siege usually softens the defenses enough for the auxillaries to break through.And there will be glorious battles for our kinsmen to win yet, you can bet.

CT: What are your plans for the coming months of warfare?

Aife: Our first expeditionary force already debarked in Antiochia and set our bridgehead in the Levantine parts of the Sels. The military access we got from Egypt gives us the advantage of greater freedom of movement there. And I think we should test the prowess of our Egyptian allies soon there. The Bosporean Kingdom is under heavy siege already and I am just boarding our fleet to sail over the Black Sea with a special task force and besiege their capital. The fate of the Greek coalition is sealed and the vultures of Colchis and Rhoxolani already started to rip their own pieces of its still kicking corpse. Well, my time to dash over the sea, take care nosey lad.

CT: Thank you, Aife, and wish you good luck with your adventures!

attachment.php

AAARRRGGGHHHH ! OH NOOOOOOOOO!

CT: This is a black day in the history of the celtic nation. A small mercenary force led by Aife Correid commited an amphibious assault on Phanagoria, but they were repelled by well prepared enemy. For some reason the backup fleet wasn't on the meeting point to extract them and the demoralized mercenaries were slaughtered at the beach that night. Our most beloved Aife was captured by the insidious Bosporeans. Words like "betrayal" and "treachery" come into mind here.

Our whole nation is shocked, without Aife we are doomed to become a history instead of writing it. All our hopes are lost now and we are afraid this is the last issue of Celtic Times. There is no reason to bring you news when Aife isn't here to lead us any longer.

Attachments

• 24-1_GGW_asiaminor_campaign.jpg
    24-1_GGW_asiaminor_campaign.jpg
    222,2 KB · Views: 903
  • 24-2_aife_captured.jpg
    24-2_aife_captured.jpg
    182,9 KB · Views: 920
Last edited:
attachment.php

The primary objective of 50 provinces has been achieved, but the national hero Aife Correid now rots in Bosporean prison, so all is lost anyway.

Closing stats (as of Aug 4th 569).

Provinces: 52 (1st, primary objective achieved)

Population: 905.9

Citizens: 115.2 (12.7%)
Freemen: 410.9 (45.3%)
Slaves: 379.7(41.9%)

Stability: +3

Treasury: 26 gold
Monthly balance: 8.36

Taxation: 12.37 (1st)
Trade: 4.08
Tributes: 2.99
Army maint.: -8.00
Fleet maint.: -3.07

Manpower: 3521, maximum: 101K, monthly: 821

Army: 146 cohorts

Militia: 3
Archers: 47
Heavy Infantry: 55
Cavalry: 18
Horse Archers: 17
Elephants: 6

Fleet: 156 Triremes

War Exhaustion: 8.40
Infamy: 9.9
Tyranny: 10.5

Allies: 4 (Egypt + 3 client states)
Tributaries: 20

Attachments

• 24-3_map_april_569.jpg
    24-3_map_april_569.jpg
    37,7 KB · Views: 908
Last edited:
Even if she is rescued, she won't be consul again for a while and might die before then, so she can't form a dictatorship -> empire.

That strikes me as the main reason for getting 10+ tyranny and over 50 provinces. Plus she has the popularity and all the necessary dictator traits. Argh. Empress Aife would have been awesome.

Is there still a hope?

The visitor counter for this AAR just hit 6000 and I would like to thank all you folks for showing your interest.

With such support ... who knows, maybe there is still a spark of hope for the fabulous Aife Correid to return and lead the celtic people once again. :D

Last edited:
How about editing the save game so that you have her again and then add some story on how her awesome martial skills she killed the entire army?

How about editing the save game so that you have her again and then add some story on how her awesome martial skills she killed the entire army?

I'm now working on perfectly legal solution of the mishap, utilizing some perks the latest 2.32 patch introduced. I want to avoid any save file editing, as although this AAR roleplaying aspect has become more and more dominant it started as a gameplay oriented AAR and I want it remain this way. So any plot twist should be accomplished by a regular gameplay, despite how crazy or unlikely it is:D

I'm now working on perfectly legal solution of the mishap, utilizing some perks the latest 2.32 patch introduced. I want to avoid any save file editing, as although this AAR roleplaying aspect has become more and more dominant it started as a gameplay oriented AAR and I want it remain this way. So any plot twist should be accomplished by a regular gameplay, despite how crazy or unlikely it is:D

Awesome!

Well, if anyone can come up with a crazy gameplay solution, it's you.

Ah, she could be rescued and then start a civil war, I suppose. You know, blame inept leadership in the Republic for losses in the war effort and then take over as dictatoress!

This is one of the best AAR's I've ever read. :) I've recently been toying with the idea of dusting off my old Paradox titles, and this AAR makes the decision an easy one. Only Paradox games, and the type of player they attract could make a PC game play, and the resulting AAR read, like an excellent novel. In a market saturated with dumb, simplified, button mashing crap Paradox games still fire the imagination like few others can. :)