• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Rome is celtic?
Howwwwwwwwwwww??? :eek::eek:

When a barbarian tribe carves an independent or a client state both the culture and religion of the taken provinces change to those of the new barbarian overlords. Citizens are turned into slaves and freemen. In my campaing it was the celtic barbarian tribe of Ambiani who created a short lived independent state in Rome. Later I got a mission to conquer them and upon the completion I got even a core there.

When a barbarian tribe carves an independent or a client state both the culture and religion of the taken provinces change to those of the new barbarian overlords. Citizens are turned into slaves and freemen. In my campaing it was the celtic barbarian tribe of Ambiani who created a short lived independent state in Rome. Later I got a mission to conquer them and upon the completion I got even a core there.

Sounds very sweet. :cool:

Didn't the population sunk a bit with the arrival of barbarians?

Sounds very sweet. :cool:

Didn't the population sunk a bit with the arrival of barbarians?

The population of conquered provinces is reduced only slightly in EU:Rome. It seems strange in the case of barbarians, but we can presume they brought their whole tribe to settle there, so their families replaced any losses to the original population. The missing population from the 65.0 total Rome has at start mostly comprises of the people they send colonizing.

What really suffers is the civilization rating, Rome has 90 at the start after all, and it was pillaged by barbies four times in my game.

That's quite bad.
Barbarians are not less civilized, they are just different.

Roma in 300-200 BC was not yet that civilized when in comparison to later centuries.
The civilization rating is quite silly, since it gives a huge boost to a few nations in the game.
Lower civ should also have some positive purpose, like giving hordes of barbarians a far higher morale than for the enemy troops. :p

As the new 2.32 beta patch is out and my latest gamesave file is compatible, I am about to continue this AAR with further adventures of Aife Correid, the fabulous chieftainess. Stay tuned in:D

I'm here. :)

I'm posting just to say that I'm astounded with your achievements. Amazing! :)

Hi,

I have read this a couple of times and still haven't figured out one thing.

Did you raise your tiranny level to achieve something in particular?

I'm asking because I rarely use the imprision/execute/banish options and don't see any advantage (besides eliminating inconvenient characters or changing to dictatorship in a republic) in having high tiranny.

Hi,

I have read this a couple of times and still haven't figured out one thing.

Did you raise your tiranny level to achieve something in particular?

I'm asking because I rarely use the imprision/execute/banish options and don't see any advantage (besides eliminating inconvenient characters or changing to dictatorship in a republic) in having high tiranny.

When you imprison your characters to that extend that you cant fill your research/goverment positions new power hungry nobles flock to your capital hoping to get some jobs of importance.
I effectively filled my character pool with high stats prisoners, executing the unfit ones. When the outrage caused rebels to rise and overthrow the chieftain (tyranny erased in the process) I released the imprisoned guys and gave them enough prestige to spawn gals for them to marry. That almost doubled the character pool, as gals are allowed to offices for CAT.

On a side note you also get half of a banished char weath and all of an executed char wealth transfered to your treasury on 100:1 basis.

When you imprison your characters to that extend that you cant fill your research/goverment positions new power hungry nobles flock to your capital hoping to get some jobs of importance.
I effectively filled my character pool with high stats prisoners, executing the unfit ones. When the outrage caused rebels to rise and overthrow the chieftain (tyranny erased in the process) I released the imprisoned guys and gave them enough prestige to spawn gals for them to marry. That almost doubled the character pool, as gals are allowed to offices for CAT.

On a side note you also get half of a banished char weath and all of an executed char wealth transfered to your treasury on 100:1 basis.

Thanks for the explanation!

I had forgotten about the tiranny reset when the ruler changes. It makes me look at tiranny from a different perspective. I think I'll give the british tribes another try.

Again, thanks for your answer.

Furor Brythonnicus - Part 2
Chapter 7 - The Pwnic Wars

Aife Correid, the crafty but kinda blunt chieftainess of the Catuvellauni tribe is now the undisputed Sovereign of Rome. But who actually is this gal? What are her goals and ideas? And what future holds for her? Well, let's see ....

attachment.php

550 December

Aife of the Correid clan, that's me. I am sure you have heard about my deeds already and you despair now. Well, you better do, as I come to conquer you soon or later. The Mediterannean is a great place to live ... under our enlightened celtic rule. Once you understand it we can be friends, I am sure. As a newborn celebrity I am now an object of interest of the media, especially my private life. So I better share some relevant facts before they mess it all.

I am now 34 years old and I am married for the 4th time. My previous mates, Caractacus and Lugotorix, were great and noble men and I loved each of them. But we lived in dangerous times and they paid for their ambitions dearly, slayed by ruthless chieftains of the dark period. My 3rd hubby, Arverus Vodenosid, lived long enough to witness my rise to power before he was betrayed to death when delivering diplomatic note to Syracusae. Our son, Galan, resembles his father in many aspects. He is 9 now, and I love him with my whole heart.

I remarried only recently, at the night of the solstice. Viridorix Marganid, my new spouse, is a man of great qualities. From the lands of Bononia he risen with an army of Ambiani tribe to carve his own principality in Rome. It was quite short lived, as I conquered them after a while, but he proved to be worthy enough to be my darling. He loves the river lowlands of Bononia and he already persuaded me and my capitains to liberate the celtic folk there from opression of the roman colonizators. It's true he shares a little bit different spiritual views than me, but I am sure we will find some agreement here.

Politics

As of my political views I feel that the tribal organization is becoming kinda clumsy for administering larger domains. Especially the pig we ceremonialy stab for stability needs to be fatter and fatter and more and more expensive. We will have to look for more efficient form of government, the Republic or the Monarchy seems to be the options here. But I understand I have to dedicate more of my time to studying of the great works of Greek philosophers on the matter of politics, philosophy and religion before I ready to institute such cardinal reforms.

I view the way we united the tribes of Gallia under our command as a necessary but quite harsh approach. We needed their warriors to prevail over our enemies for the time being, but now we can rely on our own forces and we have enough funds to hire mercenaries if needed. The lands of Gallia are far apart from our centre of power and interest they are not developing and civilizing fast enough. My plan is to reform the Gallia into a confederacy of independent provinces under our guidance and let the local goverments there to fully concentrate on cultural exchange and technological progress. Some of the new autorities will be established by a popular secession. Some of them by creating client states by settling nomad celtic tribes. And some will be created by chieftains I appoint who just want to rather be 1st in the gallic village than to be second in Rome. Great way how to get rid of some disloyal blokes also.

attachment.php

January 551

So the mission is pretty obvious ... liberate our celtic cousins in Bononia. The only problem is that it's not only colonized by Rome but also currently occupied by Carthage. And these republics are locked at a war which is not going to be resolved soon. Carthaginians are known for their impressive navy, so we have to prepare ourselves well and build more ship. Fortunately the forests of Liguria and the trade with Crete supplies us with enough wood. More swordsmen cohorts will be risen in the meantime as well and our crafty envoys will approach nobles in both of the republics to help them see their consuls and suffets corruption.

Finally, in May 552 we are ready and we declare war on both Rome and Carthage. Numidia joined their Carthaginian masters in the fight.

attachment.php

Italian Campaign (6th May 552 - 9th July 553)

I decided to supervise the military operations in Italia personally. The forces of Rome and Carthage weakened each other both in land and naval combat so we had our job easier. During the year 552 we systematically sieged one province after another and finally we encountered our enemies to the south. We scored bloody but decesive victory over Carthaginian expeditional force in Lucania in February 553. The Romans were anihilated in April 553, in a land battle of Campania and naval encounter in Mare Hadriaticum.

All the Roman Italian property was under our control but Rome waited till July, when they finally accepted our harsh peace. We gained Campania, Lucania, Ager Brutius and of course Bononia. Our cousins there are free again and our territory is now connected from Gallia Cisalpina to Sicilia, which helps us to manage it more efficiently.

The hapless Romans are still at war with Carthage and also Illyria, which controls their provinces in Macedonia. Without any cohorts or ships left they will have tough time to revert it. But their Senate crowded with Populists is not willing to parley with their remaining enemies.

attachment.php

Carthago-Numidian Front (20th March 553 - 7th October 554)

After some minor skirmishes at the Iberian borders of Carthage this part of campaign started with siege of Volcae in March 553. Later this month quite enjoying battle was fought with the army of Numidia. Both sides mounted significant cavalry contingents and armies bigger than 20 thousand of men but our superior morale and the advantage of heavy infantry over militia brought us victorious (again). The Numidians showed the only resistance in Iberia, so after we dispatched them the whole peninsula was open to our armies. It became obvious that it would take some time before we would be able to occupy it all.

In August 553 our contingents disembarked our in the African heart of Carthage, and the capital city itself was soon taken by an assault I commanded. From now I am also known as the Conqueror. The carthaginian navy was quite exhausted after their war with Rome and they avoided engagement with our forces, allowing our sea transports to bring more reinforcements safely during the autumn.

Our armies continued to gain more ground both in Africa and Iberia and finally in October 554 Numidia was subdued, stripped of most of it territory and forced to pay tribute to us.

attachment.php

Pwn the Pun (8th October 554 - 19th July 555)

The remaining ten months were in sign of dispatching remaining minor fleeing Punic cohorts and ships and extensive sieging of their cities. Our High General tried to secured some extra funds for his private treasury and I decided he deserved them this time, which actually helped my popularity to grow as I am now known as a really generous person. Our newly appointed governor of Numidia got the foolish idea to declare independence, what is just a minor nuisance. After all, on 19th July 555 the whole Punic republic is subdued and it signs the peace terms we deliver. In Iberia they cede Vaccaei and Volcae and in their African mainland they lose Tingis, Ikosim, Leptis Magna, Oea, Phazania and Corniclanum. Their republic is effectively cut in half and the lose of Ikosim will severely hamper their ship production. No more shall Carthage rule the Sea.

Attachments

• 19-1-chieftain_aife_family550_test.jpg
    19-1-chieftain_aife_family550_test.jpg
    96,2 KB · Views: 826
  • 19-2-bononia_mission.jpg
    19-2-bononia_mission.jpg
    93,3 KB · Views: 806
  • 19-3-italian_campaign.jpg
    19-3-italian_campaign.jpg
    270,1 KB · Views: 820
  • 19-4-carth_numidian_front.jpg
    19-4-carth_numidian_front.jpg
    231 KB · Views: 820
  • 19-5-pwn_the_pun.jpg
    19-5-pwn_the_pun.jpg
    211,1 KB · Views: 818
Last edited:
August 555

attachment.php

Life is just great when one is cool, smart and glorious ...

During the course of these years of warfare I still found spare time and gold for a shameless self-promotion. Monuments to my honour and a triumphal arch to celebrate my glorious victories were erected. Common folk consider it to be a kind of vanity but for me and people of importance it is foreboding of even greater things and changes to come.

Maybe it wasn't the smartest of all ideas to promote a hellenistic worshipper to our High Priest, but I expected her to help me understand the fine nuances between the religions. And she served the purpose well, I learned a lot of interesting stuff while meddling and dabbling in that matter and finally I can be considered a sort of "thinker". Soon I will be able to initiate the reforms to evolve our tribal society into something of higher philosophical renown.

attachment.php

All the Gallia is divided into ... wait, how many parts?

My efforts toward establishing confederacy of celtic subjects in the parts of Gallia are going quite well. Looks like the turmoil of war inspired the spirit of independence. Well, but the independence comes at its price, as some would be "Kings" learned.

-------------------------------
Running stats (as of Aug 555).

Provinces: 29 (4th)

Population: 397.3
Citizens: 36.3 (9.1%)
Freemen: 213.3 (53.6%)
Slaves: 147.6 (37.1%)​
Stability: +1

Treasury: 1086 gold
Monthly balance: 5.29 (3rd)
Taxation: 4.19
Trade: 2.00
Tributes: 0.95
Army maint.: -1.32
Fleet maint.: -0.54​

Manpower: 0, maximum: 75,980, monthly: 650

Army: 69 cohorts
Militia: 3
Archers: 21
Heavy Infantry: 28
Cavalry: 11
Horse Archers: 6​

Fleet: 28 Triremes

War Exhaustion: 10.00 :wacko:
Infamy: 15.0
Tyranny: 3.1

Allies: 4 (all client states)
Tributaries: 9

Attachments

• 20-1-aife_events.jpg
    20-1-aife_events.jpg
    88,7 KB · Views: 792
  • 20-2-confederacy_starts.jpg
    20-2-confederacy_starts.jpg
    212,1 KB · Views: 805
Last edited:
Best, AAR, evah!

Ambitious and well planned, it's quite an AAR and illustrates very well the how to of barb-surfing - waiting for a wave of barbs to wash over you and riding it on to conquest.

So starting with just one province is best, to make it easiest? With a one-province country civil wars are pretty much a single battle and barbs easily take over and bring their armies, right?

You were more wise than I would have been in disbanding troops right off. Now I understand the barb edge, I can see why you don't need so many.

Too bad organisation is not explained well.

I knew from looking at the character lists that women were smart and tough compared with the men that can actually be used, but Martial 11 and 12?! Wow. I suppose a 9 leader could do it too, just harder.

Looks like you are a master of tyranny! Unbelievable levels. Getting rid of a powerful and rich traitor can be profitable, I knew that, and realized the advantage of turnover in government to cut tyranny, but didn't realize jailing and disposing of your characters on a French Revolution scale would create a flood of replacements rather than scaring people off.

What is the stability cost difference you mention between tribals, republics, and monarchies? I hate to think about Celts and Druids abandoning their noble ways and turning into painted toenail toga-wearers and sophist lawyers.

The one thing that disturbs me historically is that seasoned or veteran Roman legionaries should be inferior on a unit basis to warband armies. Romans should lose through bad leadership facing good leadership. Does make the game more interesting.

Too bad organisation is not explained well.

I knew from looking at the character lists that women were smart and tough compared with the men that can actually be used, but Martial 11 and 12?! Wow. I suppose a 9 leader could do it too, just harder.

Looks like you are a master of tyranny! Unbelievable levels. Getting rid of a powerful and rich traitor can be profitable, I knew that, and realized the advantage of turnover in government to cut tyranny, but didn't realize jailing and disposing of your characters on a French Revolution scale would create a flood of replacements rather than scaring people off.

What is the stability cost difference you mention between tribals, republics, and monarchies? I hate to think about Celts and Druids abandoning their noble ways and turning into painted toenail toga-wearers and sophist lawyers.

The one thing that disturbs me historically is that seasoned or veteran Roman legionaries should be inferior on a unit basis to warband armies. Romans should lose through bad leadership facing good leadership. Does make the game more interesting.

Organization represents the rate your troops morale replenishes. So with morale 4.01 and land organization 70% it means I get 2.8 morale replenished per month, what is actually more than many of the countries maximal morale.

As for the military stats, after the purges only strong characters survived. So I currently have 14 generals with martial 11 and 12 more with martial 10 at my disposal. The possible record I reached in one of my previous games is martial 13, it means starting stat 10 + energetic trait + ambitions to be general and admiral fulfilled.

Concerning the stability, the tribes have only one idea slot, so ther is a little room for placing that -33% stability cost National Oracle idea. And tribes have no stability costs reducing officials, where republics have two Censors and monarchies have their Chief Torturer to do it. Monarchies also have the Chancellor, to reduce infamy quicker.

Romans lost many battles to "barbarian" tribes of celtic and german origins. My AAR is still 90 years ahead of the time Gaius Marius introduces the concept seasoned and veteran roman legionaires you mention.