• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Achab

Celtic Champion
101 Badges
Aug 5, 2005
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • War of the Roses
  • 200k Club
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Pride of Nations
  • Victoria 2 A House Divided Beta
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • King Arthur II
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
Furor Brythonnicus - Catuvellauni AAR - revisited!

Furor Brythonnicus - Catuvellauni AAR - revisited!

Part 1
Game ver.: EU:Rome - Vae Victis - 2.31c beta
Difficulty: Hard
Historical Start: 2nd Punic War - 536 AVC
Primary objective: Make the City of Rome my capital in less than 25 yrs. (Completed Nov 550)

Part 2
Game ver.: EU:Rome - Vae Victis - 2.32 official
Start: Nov 550 ... game continues.
Primary objective: Own 50 provinces in less than 25 yrs. (Completed in March 569 with 52 provinces total.)

Table of Contents:
Part 1
Smarty Brythonn and the Quest for Holly O'Man (Jan 536 - Jan 537)
Time of Scrabbles (Jan 537 - Jan 538)
Mediterranean Beach Party (Jan 538 - Jan 541)
March to Sicilia (Jan 541 - Feb 544)
Celtic Champions (Feb 544 - Mar 547)
Sovereign of Rome (Mar 547 - Nov 550)

Part 2
The Pwnic Wars (Nov 550 - Aug 555)
Birth of the Republic (Aug 555 - Aug 561)
War has only been this fun couple of times before (Aug 561 - April 569)

Last edited:
Part 1 - Smarty Brythonn and the Quest for Holly O'Man

Chapter 1 - Smarty Brythonn and the Quest for Holly O'Man

536 January

Why hello, my name's Coilus Divicid and I am the mighty chieftain of the tribe ..... whatchas the name ... never learned to spell it correctly ... CAT-OOVER-LINES. I guess we are named after the lovely furball beings, and I like hairy things, well, I am a little bit hairy myself. I have a nice furry goat I call Boudie, and she is really cute.

My best friend and trusted advisor is one Mehr-Leen, a smart bloke able of magic and stuff. His best trick is he stays unseen to all save me, so the other chieftains don't know he is around. They call me dumb and MAN-EE-AK when I speak to him, what is not very nice of them. But I will have my vengeance soon and people will admire me. I think to become ADD-MEE-RAHL soon will make them admire me even more.

This day Mehr-Leen told me about a pal of his from Ireland named O'Man. He wanted to IN-FOOK that buddy for some reason and he promised there would be a lot of love and happines when it's accomplished. Well, nothing against untraditional ways of friedship, I have great relation with my Boudie-pet too, and Mehr-Leen told me she will be even more furry and chubby and all after all is done.

But when I ordered the Hi-Prees guy to help with the IN-FOOKing, something went just awry. My poor Boudie lost all her fat, she was not lovely and happy any more ... actually all the tribe was unhappy, angry and hungry, and they ate my poor Boudie. Mehr-Leen told me it is all the other chieftains fault, so I put them all into the gaol, as I didnt liked them anyway. That will teach them! From now I will throw all newcoming lackeys into the pit as they appear in our village, let them rot there.

Mehr-Leen consoled me and found me a girfriend named Boudica, which reminds me of my poor lovely goatie. She is also kinda hairy, so I think we will get along well. I also decided to find that O'Man of Ireland, so we can IN-FOOK him better next time. Thats why I will sail on our mighty tribal ship to the neigbouring isle. I will take Boudica with me, I am sure we will get to know each other better. My best men will accompany me on this search for this Holy O'Man. Before I depart I form an UGLYANCE with the neigbouring folks of Siluri, as Mehr-Leen urged me.

attachment.php

536 April

Hello, I am Boudica Marganid, the new chieftain of our tribe. Coilus, my poor hubby, get captured by the ugly barbarian tribe of Ausci he stirred when searching for that Holy O'Man of Ireland. "Our ways are best!", were the last words his men heard from him. In my absence one brat named Chiomara tried to seize the chieftain rule for herself, but I managed to kick her out once I landed with the survivors of that happless Irish expedition. There were some discontets to deal with, of course, so the gaol pit got fuller once again.

We started to trade wood for iron with our Silurian neigbours, and with the improved weapons and armour our warbands will become unbeatable. The best men of our tribe will then join me and we will rescue my belowed hubby from his captivity.

attachment.php

537 January

Greetings, I am Merlin the Enchanter and I have been trusted advisor to Brythonnian chieftains for many generations. Have to say I am not pleased with the recent course of the Catuvellauni tribe (yes, thats how's it spelled properly). The recent chieftain Coilus Divicid wasn't so bad, he even heeded my advice to introduce the "Pursuit of Wealth" and adopted the "Adapt or Perish" approach. He also learned that "Our ways are best" and lowered the unrealistic military spending. He maintained good diplomatic and trade relations with Siluri. But then driven by his obsession to find something he called Holy Omen he got himself lost on this unfortunate expedition.

In his absence his consort Boudica Marganid rules with an iron fist. She already earned herself the nickname "Bloodica" because the unspeakable cruelty she is known for. Executions are on daily order, most of the notable folks imprisoned. She raised two cohorts of elite swordsmen as her personal guard which serve as her enforcers. At least until recently ....

The nomad tribe of Ausci angered by Coilus uninvited incursions into their territory decided to repay us the visit. They crossed the straits between Hybernia and Britannia and now, as I am writing these lines, they are sieging the town of Trinovantes. During their campaign many other highlanders joined their warband and their numbers are really impressive. They were able to rise several units of cavalry and bowmen beside the general rabble usually seen. The brave iron swordsmen guard of our tyranness have wisely chosen to retreat to the territory of our friends, Silurians. Most of the tribefolk is already welcoming the "visitors" as liberators.

attachment.php

AARRRRRGHHHH!!!!

attachment.php

537 January ... later.

Our liberators stormed the palisades easily and our folk welcomed them with great joy. What could be worse than the mad Bloodica's tyranny after all? A great feast followed that night where all were celebrating their new champions and many new acqauintances have been made. Of course there was a lot of mayhem an many artifact of cultural importance and buildings of historical value were gone in the morning. But from the hangover the folks emerged not as quarreling tribes but as an united nation.

Tincomarus, our new ruler, looks pretty promising and there are epic deeds to be accomplished. Our High Priest aready proclaimed him our saviour.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 04_CAT_6-4-536_barbarians_capture_chieftain.jpg
    04_CAT_6-4-536_barbarians_capture_chieftain.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 4.829
  • 01_CAT_1-1-536_ruler_doom_wife.jpg
    01_CAT_1-1-536_ruler_doom_wife.jpg
    169,3 KB · Views: 4.831
  • 05_9-1-537_barbies_coming_sieging.jpg
    05_9-1-537_barbies_coming_sieging.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 4.796
  • 07_12-1-537_barbies_took_over.jpg
    07_12-1-537_barbies_took_over.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 4.814
  • 08_12-1-537_new_chieftain.jpg
    08_12-1-537_new_chieftain.jpg
    118,5 KB · Views: 4.800
Last edited:
Will continue the campaign in few days, but what shall I do?

I have:

2x Heavy Infantry
8x Cavalry
6x Archers
23x Militia :D

I have also:
One province with Civilization 6.1% and Supply Limit 9 :D

Tyranny 220+ and prison full of people.

The British tribes are possibly the most difficult to play because of the very low civilization level and the number of barbarian provinces that surround you from which new barbarian stacks spring up. Unless you cross the Channel and conquer some land in Gaul you're in for a lonely game.

Qorten's ricght. The chance of ever colonizing one of your neighbours is next to nothing. The future may lay in Gaul: cross the straghts and go on a war of conquest.

Also: if any of your imprisoned characters have a high Martial rating of high finesse: free them, you'll need them.

Great job, I'm following. After seeing those pics of your barbarian empire, I couldn't do anything else. :D

After the barbarian takeover I have free idea slot once again, which one should I pick?

Thanks to the later start date technology I can pick from 5 starting ideas from each of the cathegories. Will got +5% discipline when picking a military idea because of the military tribe bonus.

I am tempted to pick the +15% omen chance Divine Right though.

Which military ideas can you pick from. (Not familiar beyond the first two)

Chapter 2 - Time of Scrabbles

537 January ... even laterer

After a week full of joy, festivities and bankets we realized that all the horses our new fellow tribesmen arrived upon have somehow disappeared. On the other hand our folks now enjoy a lot of fatness and happiness, something they werent allowed to for ages. Still Tincomarus, our new chief, is somewhat upset and resents the fact his cavalry is no more capable of action. He was informed by a trusted friend that the filthy Silurian thieves are responsible for the disapperance of the horses, so the alliance was dissolved immediately.

537 March

Tincomarus with a friend or two visited the Silurian capital of Ordovices in attempt to settle than unfortunate horse affair. His peaceful efforts were turned down though, so he had no other option than to lay siege to the town. The resulting conflict was really swift and and soon Siluri were annexed and incorporated as one of our tribal territories. Still the missing horses fate is unclear and Tincomarus is often heard muttering "Give me back my steeds!" sadly.

537 April

While our enlightened chieftain was away campaigning the Silurians, a group of dissenters formed something they called "Progressive Faction". Their aim is to modernize and strengthen both our army and fleet to become an important power in the celtic world. A party was held for our victorious chieftain Tincomarus the night he arrived. The morning he awoke he found the army under a command of one Coilus Iacid, the Progressives leader. An attempt to arrest the rebel ended in a short tribal conflict (CW), from which the Progressives emerged victorious.

attachment.php

537 May

Hello, my name is Coilus Iacid and I am the leader of the Progressive Faction. We believe that our tribe can become a major civilized power under our command. We profit greatly from the iron rich territory of Ordovices we conquered recently and I already ordered to train 5 cohorts of heavy swordsmen to rise our military power. I also put a vessel into construction so soon we have a real fleet of 2 mighty ships. Our faction members gladly support our efforts with their personal savings. Soon the continent will tremble before our might.

538 January

The Progressives managed our tribe with great skill, but the common folk wasn't ready for such great deal yet. Druids strongly opposed the ways of progress and they are highly revered among our tribesmen. Soon an opportunist arised, gathering support from most of the parties. He is pious enough to be approved by the druids but he appeals to the more secular ones as well. Etitovius Vodenosid is his name and as the army obeyed his command too he has risen as our new ruler after just some minor tribal skirmishes (CW).

attachment.php

Favourite line: Druids are Special Snowflakes!

Attachments

• 09_31-3-537_CW_1.jpg
    09_31-3-537_CW_1.jpg
    128,6 KB · Views: 4.582
  • 10_19-1-538_ruler_pio_lap.jpg
    10_19-1-538_ruler_pio_lap.jpg
    64,8 KB · Views: 4.730
Last edited:
As of 19th January 538 I have:

My navy:
2x Triremes

My army:
7x Heavy Infantry
6x Archers
2x Militia

Maintenance: 0.69

2 provinces - wood, iron

150+ tyranny

Free idea slot, omen not invoked, At The Crossroads event should fire soon again.

A ruler, which can rise my stability to +6 anytime repeatedly, so I can DOW the whole world ;) Well, I think I won't use this, but its funny.

So I assume the civil war was quickly ended?

So I assume the civil war was quickly ended?

There were two quick CWs in 8 mnths frame which were won by the "rebel faction", what lead to double leader change and to construction of some cohorts and ships, as the CW gets you about 20gps.

Chapter 3 - Mediterranean Beach Party

539 January

Etitovius Vodenosid be my name and I am the chief. During the past year I had to cool down many hotheads who thought they know better. Siluri even tried to regain independence and our internal factions continued to bicker over and over. Tired of their prattle I decided to take holiday on the beach of the Southern sea, which would provide a great relief for my old bones. I took my men with me and during the trip we visited several of our gallic cousins of the mainland tribes. I spent a great time with their chieftais and made many valuable acquaintances. When we finally arrived the riviera beach of Voconti time of parties started.

An army of Carthage appeared at our beach one day, marching from Hispania to battle the Romans in their homeland of Italy. Their war elephants were really impressive, true weapons of mass destruction. I asked for a meeting with the fabled Hannibal, but the contingent was comanded by some minor general, as Hannibal was occupied with issues in Africa. That was probably the reason why the whole Carthaginian army was repelled by the Massilian militia and the commander decided to retreat back to Hispania.

Soon after that an urgent message from home was delivered to me requiring my attendance at our tribal meeting. Looks like I have to cancel my holiday to calm down the things once again. I decided to appoint Aife Correid, a gal with great military skill, as the new commander of my guard, and I departed for Britannia.

539 July

Things didn't go well for the poor Etitovius (Tyranny=1680). The whole country revolted against him and the common tribesmen decided to take the matters of state into their own hands. Silurians used this opportunity to regain independence again. Etitovius payed with his very life for the attrocities he commited and Aife Correid has risen as the undisputed leader of the tribe. I personally put a lot of hope and trust in this promissing young warrior girl.

attachment.php

539 December

I'm Aife Correid and I'm here to lead our tribe to glory. After the time of slacking and laziness our army was ready for some action. The republican militia of Massilia might be good enough to repel the carthaginian elephats but it had no chance against our champions of sword. We won an easy victory and I learned valuable lesson that Outflanking is the Best Tactic. After two months of siege the city of Massilia was ripe for decesive assault. With Carthaginians taking Emporion the Massilian senate agrees to annexation under our enlightened rule.

The Masillian wine is delicious, the women alluring and the weather hot. Many of our folks of note already started moving to our newly acquired mediterannean dependency to live in splendid palaces. We all enjoy the luxury and achievements of the Greek civilization. But the attack on Massilia dragged us into a conflict with Rome, a local power of importance. It might be occupied with the 2nd Punic War, but it is a threat we have to deal with quickly anyway.

attachment.php

attachment.php

540 May

The Roman expedition force engaged us in a bloody battle in Massilia. The 19,000 heavy legionaries appeared superior to our army, but we were able to beat them withou any serious loses. My leadership skill and our high morale were key to the victory. Also the advantage of the home territory with all the wine available and cute greek girls cheering can't be underestimated. The retreating Roman forces were pursued and completely eliminated in the following weeks.

attachment.php

541 January

Now the way to Italia was open. We liberated our celtic cousins in Gallia Cisalpina and later we laid siege to the northern Italian provinces of Etruria and Umbria. The battle of Umbria resulted in a devastating defeat of the Roman mainland contingent, despite the we were outnumbered twice in the fight. In the fleeing troops were engaged and slaughtered completely in the following skirmishes of Samnium and Campania. Nothing stays between our troops and the city of Rome and the whole peninsula is ready to be taken by our superior forces.

In the meantime Carthaginians eliminated most of the Roman fleet and occupied the islands. We have to build up our fleet quickly if we want to become important players in the mediterranean theatre.

Also the barbarians of Ausci once again attempt to take the town of Trinovantes from us. Well, it's not much of a town anymore, as most of the folks moved to Massilia already, away from the wet and cold climate of Britain to enjoy the fruits of the sea.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 11-0_shattered_538.jpg
    11-0_shattered_538.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 4.418
  • 12-0_mass_beaten.jpg
    12-0_mass_beaten.jpg
    79,1 KB · Views: 4.381
  • 13-1-mass_axed.jpg
    13-1-mass_axed.jpg
    115,7 KB · Views: 4.399
  • 14-0_rome_beaten_at_massilia.jpg
    14-0_rome_beaten_at_massilia.jpg
    124,6 KB · Views: 4.671
  • 15-1-17-11-540_won_battle_of_umbria.jpg
    15-1-17-11-540_won_battle_of_umbria.jpg
    172,8 KB · Views: 4.420
Last edited:
Wow, 12 martial, that's impressive! Personally I've only reached 11 in my games. And taking on Rome with her is even more impressive.

Great job, though I would have thought that Rome had more troops available. I bet it feels good to humiliate Rome. :D

Wow, 12 martial, that's impressive! Personally I've only reached 11 in my games. And taking on Rome with her is even more impressive.

During my previous campaign as Siluri I even got 2 girls with martial 12. Currently I have a cadre of 5 commanders with martial rating 11. I am playing with 2.31c beta, so the general bonus is cut to half in a battle, but it still helps. But the morale rating of 4.45 is the true killer:D

Great job, though I would have thought that Rome had more troops available. I bet it feels good to humiliate Rome. :D

My spies report they have one more undefeated army of 18 cohorts led by martial 6 general somewhere. I guess its marching from their macedonian province of Taulanti throught the barbarian lands suffering terrible attrition because of the incompetent commander:D

attachment.php

Attachments

• 15-app-last-roman-general.jpg
    15-app-last-roman-general.jpg
    51,2 KB · Views: 4.316
Last edited: