• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
My suggestion is for a Federated State, allowing for each group to have relative freedom and representation in the national government. I would also suggest opening the possibility of allowing Latvia to join as well, subject to the populace agreement of course.

OOC: My map as been rendered out of date by the Scandinavian results.

My suggestion is for a Federated State, allowing for each group to have relative freedom and representation in the national government. I would also suggest opening the possibility of allowing Latvia to join as well, subject to the populace agreement of course.

OOC: My map as been rendered out of date by the Scandinavian results.

I honestly would want everyone to take a really close look later on at Southeastern Europe; given that its populace is part of those most vulnerable to being small and easily polarized; i.e. Balkanization.

Have the Estonians been consulted on whether they wish to join with the Finns in a union?
For estonians, the idea of merger with Finland was not at all unacceptable, and from rumours I've heard such talks were actually going on in 1939 to form a sturdy defense alliance against the USSR. The era of swedish rule is also remembered well (often referred to as the "good old swedish times"), mostly because it was followed up by brutal russian rule after the Northern War (though actually the russians simply delegated more power to the baltic-german aristocracy left over from german rule, who took action to increase serfdom to the point of de facto slavery), but even then, it would still be subjugation, though the best option there. A baltic federation would really not work that well simply on nationalistic grounds - as well as the constant drive towards the West/North that dominated estonian politics in those times. German, Russian or Polish rule would result in armed insurgency and nothing less.

To sum up I'll list the plausible fates of Estonia with the dissent they would generate in game (as an abstraction to compare the options) -
Independence - 0%
Merger with Finland in which Estonia is the second partner - 3%
Subjugation into the Swedish Empire/Scandinavia - 10%
Baltic federation - 20%
Subjugation under Germans/Russians/Poles/etc. - 75%.

Of course this is if you give a damn about it in the first place. Just providing some historical context.

For estonians, the idea of merger with Finland was not at all unacceptable, and from rumours I've heard such talks were actually going on in 1939 to form a sturdy defense alliance against the USSR. The era of swedish rule is also remembered well (often referred to as the "good old swedish times"), mostly because it was followed up by brutal russian rule after the Northern War (though actually the russians simply delegated more power to the baltic-german aristocracy left over from german rule, who took action to increase serfdom to the point of de facto slavery), but even then, it would still be subjugation, though the best option there. A baltic federation would really not work that well simply on nationalistic grounds - as well as the constant drive towards the West/North that dominated estonian politics in those times. German, Russian or Polish rule would result in armed insurgency and nothing less.

To sum up I'll list the plausible fates of Estonia with the dissent they would generate in game (as an abstraction to compare the options) -
Independence - 0%
Merger with Finland in which Estonia is the second partner - 3%
Subjugation into the Swedish Empire/Scandinavia - 10%
Baltic federation - 20%
Subjugation under Germans/Russians/Poles/etc. - 75%.

Of course this is if you give a damn about it in the first place. Just providing some historical context.

What do you think of the possibility of Finland and Estonia merging while Latvia and Lithuania merge with Poland, Belarus, and Western Ukraine to form a "Federation of Poles, Balts and Ruthenians?"

(as Wenceslao Quinito Vinzons)

As representative, I will refrain on the Ireland issue.

I also would vote for a unified Poland-Lithuania (w/ all of its territories added) and a Finland-Estonia w/ Karelia and Ingria attached.

It's ok if I take the Alcide De Gasperi's role as delegate from Italy?

If it's not a problem, I would like to use my little knowlendge to propose some borders in the formation of the Polish and Finnish unions: the latvian Livonia region (in game Riga and Gulbene) should go to Finland/Estonia, since the inhabitants feel themselves Nordic. Daugavpils (in game Dagaupulis) should be Russian, since they make the majority of the population. The rest of the country could be united with Poland-Lithuania (if you think the population will be willing enough to learn a completely different language). I think Belarus can be divided between Russia and Poland (maybe using the vanilla borders as a track).

Just my two cent, between brackets are OOC comments. :)

The Australian government is open to the idea of the proposed unions in Eastern Europe, principally to as a counter to Germany, France and the UK. While we would of course defer to the wishes of the native peoples, we see five options in regard to the Baltic/Poland:

1. Union of all states.

2. Historical union of Poland and Lithuania.

3. Creation of a "Baltic Union", comprising Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia.

4. Estonian union with Finland.

5. Full independence of all states.

This is of course dependant on what form the Ukrainian and Byelorussian SSR end up taking. As for southern Europe, we believe the recreation of Yugoslavia, with potential union with Albania and Bulgaria, to be the best option, though this is, again, subject to the native people's wishes. We defer to the UK's representative in regards to Greece. Hungary should be merged with Slovakia, and Romanian should gain Bessarabia.

We do not believe that the Roma people need a homeland. Settling in one area is anathema to them; instead they should be granted special rights in the nations of Europe. Finally, the issue of Gibraltar should be resolved in a plebiscite by its inhabitants. But due to the large-scale resettling done by the Soviets, it is likely that they will vote for a merger with Spain. The UK has proven beyond all doubt that it does not have the power to protect them.

Sir Earle Page
Prime Minister
Commonwealth of Australia

Going to be away for three days.

We do not believe that the Roma people need a homeland. Settling in one area is anathema to them; instead they should be granted special rights in the nations of Europe. Finally, the issue of Gibraltar should be resolved in a plebiscite by its inhabitants. But due to the large-scale resettling done by the Soviets, it is likely that they will vote for a merger with Spain. The UK has proven beyond all doubt that it does not have the power to protect them.

Sir Earle Page
Prime Minister
Commonwealth of Australia

After consultation with the Cabinet, Germany approves of this as a second option.

It's ok if I take the Alcide De Gasperi's role as delegate from Italy?

If it's not a problem, I would like to use my little knowlendge to propose some borders in the formation of the Polish and Finnish unions: the latvian Livonia region (in game Riga and Gulbene) should go to Finland/Estonia, since the inhabitants feel themselves Nordic. Daugavpils (in game Dagaupulis) should be Russian, since they make the majority of the population. The rest of the country could be united with Poland-Lithuania (if you think the population will be willing enough to learn a completely different language). I think Belarus can be divided between Russia and Poland (maybe using the vanilla borders as a track).

Just my two cent, between brackets are OOC comments. :)

You can play represent Italy.

I don't mind that then.

Welcome aboard!

Updated list

The Big 5
Harry S. Truman President USA (Me)
Gordon Graydon Conservative PM of Canada (Kaiser_Mobius)
Winston Churchill PM of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland (Midge)
Field Marshall Erwin Rommel President of Germany (Trekaddict)
Field Marshall Henri Giraud Provisional President of the French Republic (Rockingluke)

European Delegates
Juan III the King of Iberia (ColossusCrusher)
Alcide De Gasperi Prime Minister of the Republic of Italy (atty)
Willem Schermerhorn Prime Minister of the Netherlands

American Delegates
Air Marshal Eduardo Gomes Provisional President of Brazil
Field Marshall Juan Peron Provisional President of Argentina
Alesso Melecio Foreign Minister of Mexico
León Cortés Castro President of the United States of Central America
Don Aurelio Mosquera Narváez Prime Minister of Gran Colombia
Sir Arthur Richards Prime Minister of the West indies Federation

British Empire Delegates
Sir Earle Page Prime Minister of Australia (Lord of Time)
Adam Hamilton PM of New Zealand
Daniel François Malan special representative for Afrikaner (Midge?)
Pixley ka Isaka Seme founder of the African National Congress
General Governor Maulana Azad and Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru of India
Don Stephen Senanayake Prime Minister of Ceylon

Asian Delegates
General Kazushige Ugaki provisional Prime minister of Japan
Wenceslao Quinito Vinzons foreign Minister of the Republic of the Philippines (hoi2geek)
Soong Tzu-wen leader of the Chinese National Council
Syngman Rhee leader of the Korean National Council (Ciryandor)

Others
As of yet unnamed Polish advocate - J.J.Jameson

/RP

The Cabinet and I agree with the Australian representative. Democracy is paramount and we must give the people what they desire, lest these new states fall into anarchy.

Field Marshall Henri Giraud
Provisional President of the French Republic
/RP

The Philippine Government has agreed with the Australian representative in the issue, but we must also consider the Sami peoples. We also would like to vote for the 2nd and 4th options in order to enhance the security and peace of Eastern Europe.

-Wenceslao Quinito Vinzons

(rp mode)

The Canadian government does not see any reason why the Sami peoples should be given their own state. They have not suffered under dictatorial conditions while the northernmost regions of Scandinavia were under Swedish, Norwegian, and Finnish rule. Therefore, the Canadian government opposes giving them a separate country.

(exits rp mode)

I personally do not see the viability of a Sami state, like that of the Roma, within Europe. Their cultural dictates, like the Roma are better suited to having some freedoms to move around the region as nomadic herdsmen and hunters; with recognition of equality from all the states that the region would cover; and if they choose to settle down and waive their nomadic rights, they have every freedom to do so.