• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I won't because only disappointment awaits us. PI keeps adding new features that can only be considered worthwhile to add on top of an already great, polished WWII game. Unfortunately HoI3 is no such thing.
How about fixing the current game?

If only, instead of writing about new gameplay features and posting screenshots, Paradox would have posted something along the lines of "we won't introduce any new features, but we're going to fix the AI, promise!"
I bet that would have gone down great in this forum.

Those are basically a copy of the "triggered modifiers", but enhanced so that they have "potential", like decisions, and their trigger conditions are displayed, giving you direct info what you can achieve and how to do it. I think it's great, in fact, I think this can and should be used in all other Clausewitz games.

Totally agree. Awesome idea this.

Johan, are you looking at a bunch of generic ones and then only nation specific ones for the great powers, or will you have nation specific ones to most of the major power upawards?

Just 3 questions regarding this new feature:

1. Correct me, if I'm wrong, but are these achievements what I mean they are? Ergo, you have certain preconditions - let's take the Polish Corridor as an example - in this case when you as Germany take control of the Danzig province, then you can confirm what you have just done by clicking on the particular achievement button and get additional bonuses for that action?

2. Can the global achievements be completed and activated by more countries simultaneously (i.e. that USA and UK would be able to gain Great Naval Army bonuses together), or can every achievement be reached by only the quickest one who activates it (and blocks it for the others this way)?

3. Concerning that the achievements can later turn out to be rather disadvantage (as you showed on the example of Panama), can these be also revoked (i.e. deactivated)?

This sounds like a great idea, in principle. I'll share my first thoughts, FWIW.

The name is wrong. "Achievements" are just "things you've done". The word doesn't imply you getting any benefit out of them, apart and above the benefit of actually having done what got you the achievement. These seem more like 'objectives' or 'outcomes' than 'achievements'.

I don't like the idea of there being some sudden change at an arbitrary level of development. Take "Mahoosive Army" or whatever it would end up being called. I know it's only a placeholder, but I'm assuming it triggers when your army reaches a certain size. If having a bigger army gives benefits and penalties, then those should scale with your army. Doesn't have to be a linear scaling, but it should scale. You'd have to pick a specific set of conditions for getting the benefit/issue for it to be an on-off effect of a growing army.

There should be most effort put into making the generic everybody-can-get-it ones, like control of canals, straits etc. They add the most to the game because they're (potentially) accessible whatever country you're playing.

War exhaustion? Is that new? Excellent news if it is. Less excellent if it's another undocumented feature of 1.4, but only because of the undocumented/unreported bit. Please make it plain what causes war exhaustion and how to ameliorate its effects.

All these 'achievements' need to be plainly explained and well organised.

Just 3 questions regarding this new feature:

1. Correct me, if I'm wrong, but are these achievements what I mean they are? Ergo, you have certain preconditions - let's take the Polish Corridor as an example - in this case when you as Germany take control of the Danzig province, then you can confirm what you have just done by clicking on the particular achievement button and get additional bonuses for that action?

No, these bonuses activates immediately. They are similar to Triggered Modifiers.

2. Can the global achievements be completed and activated by more countries simultaneously (i.e. that USA and UK would be able to gain Great Naval Army bonuses together), or can every achievement be reached by only the quickest one who activates it (and blocks it for the others this way)?

Right now it is possible for several countries to gain the same achievements, the betas will have to check if this is OK or not.

3. Concerning that the achievements can later turn out to be rather disadvantage (as you showed on the example of Panama), can these be also revoked (i.e. deactivated)?

Kind of. If you lose one or more of the triggers, (for example, you need a couple of provinces to get the Panama Channels Achievement), you will lose the Achievement, thus losing both the advantages and disadvantages. However, you will never lose all the good modifiers but you may gain a bad one too. One good modifier disappears, one stays and one bad will be gained.

EDIT: Might have been a big vague here. What I meant was: If you have the Panama Channel Achievement, you will get some good modifiers. If Panama Channel is blockaded, then you will lose at least one of the good modifiers and gain one (or more) bad modifiers. So, you have Panama Channel which will give you bonuses in, let's say, leadership and drift speed. The channel gets blockaded, you lose the leadership modifier, keeps the drift speed and gets a modifier which makes your national unity go minus this or that percentage. If the blockade disappears, you will regain the good modifiers and lose the bad ones.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for clearing that up, SolSara.:)

Eh, can I have one additional question though? Will there be also any list of those anti-modifiers? Let's take the Panama achievement as an example now. Will you be able to see the conditions, under which those bad modifiers will appear? So will you know that while the enemy blocks this and that sea province, those bad modifiers will be activated, so you can do something to prevent it?

And will you see, which nation has already gained those and those achievements to let you react accordingly to them or will you see a list of achievements available to you and/or gained by you only?

(Especially for Theory technologies, I think this would make sense, and would help grant some use to those oft-neglected Theory techs. Imagine sinking about five research levels into "Armour Theory", and having the practical decay rate for armor drop - I personally think this would be very useful.)

This actually makes tons of sense. As a theorist, my job is to try to take "practical" knowledge and make it easier to be applied and remembered (i.e. to prevent the decline of practical knowledge).

Thanks a lot for clearing that up, SolSara.:)

Eh, can I have one additional question though? Will there be also any list of those anti-modifiers? Let's take the Panama achievement as an example now. Will you be able to see the conditions, under which those bad modifiers will appear? So will you know that while the enemy blocks this and that sea province, those bad modifiers will be activated, so you can do something to prevent it?

Right now there are a list of them too.

attachment.php

If you look at this picture, you will see that we have an image to the right, next to the image with the question mark which is either brown or green. When it is brown, none of the conditions for the specific Achievement is fulfilled. If it's part green, some of the conditions have been fulfilled. "Blockade of the Panama Channel" (the bad anti-modifier) will probably be underneath "Panama Channel" (the good modifier) so you will be able to see if it's gonna happen to you.

And will you see, which nation has already gained those and those achievements to let you react accordingly to them or will you see a list of achievements available to you and/or gained by you only?

You will see a list of achievements available to you and/or gained by you only.

Wow¡ Has anybody taken notice of the units in Johan screenshot background? It´s 1941 and there are 9-9 infantery units and 2-9 HQs!. Perhaps some new features we haven´t been told yet? or just a tweaking for some specific reason?

Wow¡ Has anybody taken notice of the units in Johan screenshot background? It´s 1941 and there are 9-9 infantery units and 2-9 HQs!. Perhaps some new features we haven´t been told yet? or just a tweaking for some specific reason?

On page 1 he already stated that the person playing was cheating. I guess it's the cheat.

can't wait i have been playing Arsenal of democracy for a while but ill probarly immideatly go back to Hearts of iron after i get semper fi

cheers for the diary Johan

You will see a list of achievements available to you and/or gained by you only.

That's a shame. I'd think that half the fun of achievements would be making the other guy lose theirs. This game needs more Schadenfreude. :)

To further add to my request about the better organised display, it should be quite easy to categorize the achievments by their trigger requirments.
If for example one or more provinces are to be hold (or lost), than summarize them as "local issues". If a tech level is required: "technological advance". Most should be obvious as diplomacy, production etc. etc.

Very nice! Cant wait to buy Semper Fi!

I hope NEUTRALITY achievement will make drifting much more slowly. That way Switzerland and Sweden example can keep out of the war. Also they should be almost impossible to drag to the alliance.

"Neutrality" achievement could be used to produce many balancing benefits for the game.
Its very important to further develop and make accent on signifficance of this achievement.

AI for historicaly neutral nations in ww2 should be set to have priority of achieving this neutrality goal.
Maybe this goal should give even more bonusses than on picture,to be even more atractive?
For instance high benefit in trading and diplomacy as well as resilience to polithical influence by foreign nation?

For instance Switzerland should start the game in every campaign with neutrality achievement allready there.

Last edited:
Absolutely awsome concept!!
I only hope you won't be satisfied with that and also tweak/add some events and decisions. I still have major problem with SCW event not giving any positive effect for foreign expeditional powers, while it just begs for some practical boost for doctrines research