+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Semper Fi - Development Diary #1

Quote Originally Posted by Kaoru Nagisa View Post
    To GrafKeks and cwg9: Doomdark is the full-time AI coder of the team, to my understanding. Since Johan says he's on-board with the expansion, that means he's hard at work building what we all hope will be a kickass AI.
    That´s something I knew already for a long time ago ;P

Anyway I think the better AI will be one of the best features, due to the fact I trust DD I think he´ll do a good job
    Quite affordable games-store
    Thread for expanded modding capabilities regarding EU IV -Opening technology-only modifers for all modifier-types

Achievements sound like a useful and fun addition.

Quote Originally Posted by Golwar View Post
    Does this screenshot show a common situation? It seems that those are quite some achivement listed, perhaps it would make sense to sort them somehow (tabs, categories etc.).
    That was among the first things I thought upon seeing the screenshot. Sortability would be a major quality-of-life improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by PaxImperator View Post
    Achievements sound like a useful and fun addition.

That was among the first things I thought upon seeing the screenshot. Sortability would be a major quality-of-life improvement.
    Indeed. +1

It´s a mess I didn´t thought of it ;P
    Quite affordable games-store
    Thread for expanded modding capabilities regarding EU IV -Opening technology-only modifers for all modifier-types

cool feature.
    2 questions.

1: Will this be incoperated in the secret war goal you decide when game start ?

2: As mentioned, different goals for every nation, I suppose it be the majors but as we know much of swedens history can Sweden be included in this list.
    If you say yes maybee pandoras box will open but I must ask as Sweden is my favorit country to learn new features with.

Resident, Fawlty Towers Chaplain's Avatar
    HoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDarkest HourEuropa Universalis 3
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneIron CrossMajesty 2March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessPride of Nations500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by Kaoru Nagisa View Post
    Since Johan says he's on-board with the expansion, that means he's hard at work building what we all hope will be a kickass AI.
    Ahem. Probably not. But Lothos has repeatedly demonstrated the ability to dramatically improve the AI. Here's hoping he's fully engaged.
    Wise Men Still Seek Him

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneSemper FiEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by Slan View Post
    I hope the actuall bonuses will make more sense. Having +15% supply throughput for controling Danzig, when you actually occupy half of Europe sounds stupid
    But maybe Germany starts the new 36 scenario 15% LOWER then it is now and this gets it back to normal.

Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus Vult
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneIron CrossKing Arthur IIMagickaMajesty 2
    Majesty II CollectionPenumbra - Black PlagueVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper Fi
    SengokuSword of the StarsVictoria 2Mount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword

Quote Originally Posted by jju_57 View Post
    But maybe Germany starts the new 36 scenario 15% LOWER then it is now and this gets it back to normal.
    That would sound equally as stupid IMHO. I mean a territorially achieved advantage should give a territorial bonus, while a national/international achievement should give something national/international.

Of course this conversation is irrelevant, as we are talking about fictive bonuses
    Sir NeoCore Slan, OLIR, beta of FtM, appointed judge of Alexspeed's Victoria 2 AAR Contest, Fan of the Week (22-11-2011) and I also play HoItCG.
    The Historical Plausibility Project 1.0.4 for HoI3, 2.0 for HoI3 - Semper Fi and 2.7 for FtM

My latest work from my Ink Well (which is post #200 in the Ink Well thread):
    Hitler's gamble - An alternative German Strategy (Vanilla HoI3 - Semper Fi 2.03c) finished
    Ten Reasons why Europa Universalis III is the worst game EVER (Vanilla EU3 - Divine Wind) finished
    The New Adventures of the United Nations... in Space - A Space Empires V AAR canceled after Season I

"Always write things on the forums that you’d be happy for your mom to read." - Fredrik Wester

200k clubAchtung PanzerCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDarkest Hour
    Europa Universalis: ChroniclesFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourThe Kings Crusade
    MagickaMarch of the EaglesNaval War: Arctic CircleRome GoldSemper Fi
    SengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: Warband
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and SwordPride of NationsRise of PrussiaCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Has anybody noticed the background, with Italian units along with German in Sweden?

Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus Vult
    Majesty II CollectionPenumbra - Black PlagueVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper Fi
    SengokuSword of the StarsVictoria 2Mount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor1 View Post
    Has anybody noticed the background, with Italian units along with German in Sweden?
    That's nothing new, it is present in 1.4.
    Sir NeoCore Slan, OLIR, beta of FtM, appointed judge of Alexspeed's Victoria 2 AAR Contest, Fan of the Week (22-11-2011) and I also play HoItCG.
    The Historical Plausibility Project 1.0.4 for HoI3, 2.0 for HoI3 - Semper Fi and 2.7 for FtM

Hitler's gamble - An alternative German Strategy (Vanilla HoI3 - Semper Fi 2.03c) finished
    Ten Reasons why Europa Universalis III is the worst game EVER (Vanilla EU3 - Divine Wind) finished
    The New Adventures of the United Nations... in Space - A Space Empires V AAR canceled after Season I

"Always write things on the forums that you’d be happy for your mom to read." - Fredrik Wester

200k clubAchtung PanzerCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDarkest Hour
    Europa Universalis: ChroniclesFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourThe Kings Crusade
    MagickaMarch of the EaglesNaval War: Arctic CircleRome GoldSemper Fi
    SengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: Warband
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and SwordPride of NationsRise of PrussiaCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Really? Well, that's good, haven't had a chance to play up to WWII in 1.4 yet, too many other things to do...

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneSemper FiEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by GrafKeks View Post
    That´s something I knew already for a long time ago ;P

Anyway I think the better AI will be one of the best features, due to the fact I trust DD I think he´ll do a good job
    But I'm not sure some of the issues are really AI. For instance the SU can't defend against Germany but this isn't really an AI thing. I think it's the whole reserve unit MP concept and this is a major design change.

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCities in Motion 2
    Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEast India CompanyEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    For The GloryHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineLost Empire - Immortals
    Majesty 2EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper Fi
    SengokuSword of the Stars IIVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisWarlock: Master of the ArcaneCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    Warlock 2: The Exiled

Quote Originally Posted by jju_57 View Post
    But I'm not sure some of the issues are really AI. For instance the SU can't defend against Germany but this isn't really an AI thing. I think it's the whole reserve unit MP concept and this is a major design change.
    This is certainly a factor, but it is still primarily an AI problem, not a design problem. When the SU sends all its units into Siberia, leaving nothing in the west between hitler and Moscow, that is definitely an AI problem.

When I talk about AI, I am talking about much more than tactical military AI (this is actually the AI that currently is in the best shape).

Strategic / theatre military AI should know to not leave an entire front or coast undefended and also to have some sort of reserve forces to respond in case of a surprise declaration of war. It should also know how to transfer units from one theatre or another to adapt to a situation. It should know how to set high level objectives for itself (invade germany, hold the western front, win the convoy interdiction war, etc) and then influence the production and research AIs to help meet those goals, while the tactical AI figures out how to win any battles needed to reach those goals, while sensibly coordinating among the different military branches (army, navy, air) to meet those goals.

Production AI is where you could maybe teach the AI that building only reserve units is maybe a bad idea, no? As well as teach the production AI to do manpower checks based on how many reserve units exist so it will at least have sufficient manpower to mobilize if needed. Also you could teach it that in an emergency mobilization situation, it should prioritize reinforcements rather than unit production. I would bet any money that it is currently the opposite, with unit production staying fully funded and reinforcements getting the leftovers. This is the right move most of the time, but not in this situation.

Or you could teach the diplomatic AI to mobilize when certain threat of war escalates (hard to pin down the triggers for this) or generally to pick laws better (right now I believe it's just one line of code that says basically pick the most "advanced" law available).

Of course, research AI could maybe be taught that if you have a large reserve infantry army, some infantry techs are probably a good idea? And maybe some infantry doctrines, especially those that boost org and morale? And as Russia you probably have supply problems so would be nice if the AI could prioritize supply techs.

The list goes on and on. To conclude, the problems is not fundamentally a design and mechanics one (I actually think the overall design and concepts in the game are excellent, although these are certainly also areas that can be tweaked and better balanced), but rather the AI often has no clue how to use the existing design, features and mechanics. Not to mention we are really talking about over a half dozen different AIs (theatre, HQ/Army/Corps AI, Production, Research, Intelligence, Diplomacy, Trade, probably some others I missed) that have absolutely no idea how to coordinate together to create a comprehensive, consistent, synergistic overall strategy.

Hence my naive and no doubt incorrect hope that Paradox will pour most of their development resources with SF into the AI, not into adding in even more new features.

Already, with this new achievement system, it begs the question, will the strategic AI have any idea how to use it? Will it actually try to set itself up to meet the criteria to unlock any of these achievements? And will the achievements it decides to pursue make any sense, fit in at all with the overall geo-political, economic and military strengths of the nation? Or will it simply be achievements the AI accidently unlocks by happening to coincidentally meet all the criteria? My guess is the latter.
    Last edited by cwg9; 08-04-2010 at 23:06. Reason: typos

For The GloryHearts of Iron IIIVictoria: RevolutionsSemper Fi

Sounds great! Although I will be very (pleasently) surprised if the AI knows how to use them.

Can I suggest minister and old-age general deaths as another kind of historical flavor? It adds to the immersion when I see the old WWI generals gradually dying off, just as it subtracts from the immersion when I see Stanley Baldwin as PM in the middle of the war.
    Personality: Relentless
    Background: Cursed Luck
    Shock -2, Fire -4

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCities in Motion 2
    Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEast India CompanyEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    For The GloryHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineLost Empire - Immortals
    Majesty 2EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper Fi
    SengokuSword of the Stars IIVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisWarlock: Master of the ArcaneCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    Warlock 2: The Exiled

As per above post, there needs to be a random leader generator, especially if you are going to add feature of older generals dying from old age. No army/fleet/air squadron should ever have to go without a leader just because you've run out of the historical ones on the list.

200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasEast India Company
    Europa Universalis 3Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineLost Empire - ImmortalsMagickaMajesty 2
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSword of the Stars II
    Supreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis
    Warlock: Master of the ArcaneEuropa Universalis IVWarlock 2: The Exiled

Quote Originally Posted by Johan View Post
    Of course, there are different achievements for each country, and you may gain, lose or regain them depending on what happens.
    Could we see a list of achievements? The scrollbar gives the impression there are a lot of them. Also, can we sort by or exclude based on have / qualify for / not yet? And will we get a nice little tab at the top of the screen when one becomes available, like the "new national decision" alert for EU3?

I like the idea quite a bit though. I hope that control of the Panama Canal gives the US a supply throughput modifier. I just wish I could make a convoy from DC to San Diego to supply the Pacific Theater instead of sending everything overland.
    Liberalism is the Opiate of the Masses

Quote Originally Posted by Ex Mudder View Post
    Could we see a list of achievements?
    They are subject to change, so no point in analyzing them yet...

Harder Better Faster Stronger Bhaal's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIHearts of Iron IIIEuropa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of Darkness500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

this is freakin awesome!
    "There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance" Ali bin Abu-Talib

EU3 CompleteFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourSemper Fi
    Victoria 2

The whole "achievement" concept sounds like something out of a fantasy RTS. I'm NOT impressed with the idea.

Now, if the surrender events can be made to work properly and plausibly, THAT would be an "Achievement" worth celebrating.

Scripter Paradox Dev Team Trin Tragula's Avatar
    200k clubArsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    MagickaMarch of the EaglesVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper Fi
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderParadoxian Order - 2015

We get Triggered modifiers as in eu3 then Excellent!

Quote Originally Posted by Kovax View Post
    The whole "achievement" concept sounds like something out of a fantasy RTS. I'm NOT impressed with the idea.
    Not really, they're just ways to model the added benefit certain things may have for you. Like how controlling both sides of the Bosporus got you extra toll income in eu3
    Depending on how they're scripted they may be used to give bonuses for synergy or to more properly model the importance of strategic locations.

Major
    Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Semper FiVictoria 2Pride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by Kovax View Post

Now, if the surrender events can be made to work properly and plausibly, THAT would be an "Achievement" worth celebrating.
    OK, let's call them "things you can do and actually give Bonni to the player that does them" is that better?

besides in the features stand something about good surrender events so that should be for a later dev diary

damned people I thought I was a cynic but with all the whining here about the first dev diary which is usually the least impressive, congratulations on a realistic worldview but I prefer to give them the benefit of the doubt

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast