+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Semper Fi - Development Diary #1

Studio Manager Paradox Dev Team Johan's Avatar
    Crusader Kings II

Blog Entries

Semper Fi - Development Diary #1

Hi everybody, I'm Johan and I wanted to give you a first development diary.

The expansion team here at Paradox consists of Doomdark, Birken and Solsara, and they have been working hard at designing and creating quite alot of features that I hope you will all like.

One of the complaints I've seen here on the forum is the lack of "historical flavor", so the first development diary here is focused on one of these aspects.

Achievements
    Achievements are a kind of bonuses; if you, for example, have control over the Panama Channel, you will get a small increase in drift speed and global resources. However, these Achievements may also give you a disadvantage; if you have control over the Panama Channel and someone blockades the channel, you will gain a couple of bad modifiers which decreases the good ones. Having a Great Army increases your war exhaustion but gives you a boost in Leadership and Organisation Regain Rate. The Achievements might be both good and bad for your country, but you will have a chance to see what you'll need to get one of them and decide whether or not your country would benefit from them. Current effects are still placeholders, and subject to change during the beta.

Of course, there are different achievements for each country, and you may gain, lose or regain them depending on what happens.

And yes, its opened by one of the buttons on the right.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	SF_screenshot_01.jpg‎
Views:	35542
Size:	594.4 KB
ID:	23256  

Johan Andersson
    Studio Manager at Paradox Development Studio AB - Follow me at Twitter!

"A patch is never late! Nor is it ever early. It arrives precisely when I mean it to do!"

For our Patching and Expansion Policy, read here...

Read here why EU4 requires steam!

Achtung PanzerArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest Hour
    Deus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindFor The GloryFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMagicka
    Majesty 2EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper Fi
    Sword of the StarsSword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler 2020 GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandCK2: Holy KnightKnights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Awesome.

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourSemper FiSupreme Ruler 2020

'Great Naval Army' should of course be, 'Great Navy'

Looks great!
    Turner - Adjutant
    Jagdgeschwader 11
    Film: AH Trippin' R US

"There are no desperate situations, only desperate people."
    - Heinz Guderian

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed, and third, it is accepted as self-evident."
    - Arthur Schopenhauer German philosopher 1788-1860.

For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIISemper FiVictoria 2

Wow, this is definitely going to change things. Any single modifier that adds %10 to organization will be huge. I sure hope there is a balance between countries; I would hate to see only certain countries get lots of bonuses and other ones get nothing just because they aren't historically that important.

Achtung PanzerArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest Hour
    Deus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindFor The GloryFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMagicka
    Majesty 2EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper Fi
    Sword of the StarsSword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler 2020 GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandCK2: Holy KnightKnights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by Sangeli View Post
    Wow, this is definitely going to change things. Any single modifier that adds %10 to organization will be huge. I sure hope there is a balance between countries; I would hate to see only certain countries get lots of bonuses and other ones get nothing just because they aren't historically that important.
    Keep in mind those effects are placeholders - they will probably be toned down/tweaked before release.

Europa Universalis: ChroniclesHearts of Iron III

I think "achievements" look like a good idea, given that they are properly balanced (which may be difficult) and that they are not too powerful- taking the Polish Corridor, for example, does that increase supply throughput for all of Germany by 15%, or just through the Corridor itself? I can see the logic of it helping all Germany while Germany is still small and pre-war, but I don't think that having Danzig should help the Germans invade the Soviet Union when they have all of Poland.
    "Last night the Chernobyl Nuclear Powerstation fulfilled the Five Year Plan of energy generation in 4 microseconds."

Achtung PanzerArsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Hearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2

So it's a bit like the missions in EU3? Seems like a good idea.

200k clubHoI AnthologyCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus Vult
    EU3 CompleteFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengoku
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisCK2: Holy Knight
    EU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Conquest of Paradise

Looks interesting. Certainly gives you more initiative to try to reach different historical goals.

And speaking of historical flavor, can't wait to hear more about the events you're going to add.
    Shōgun ni naritai! Sword of the Samurai AAR

"It is because people's minds are not logical and enlightened that the Empire is in disorder. If the country is not properly ruled there will be no end to rebellions. And if anyone wishes to get the knowledge of how to rule it properly he will only find it in books. That is why the publication of books is the beginning of beneficient rule."

- Tokugawa Ieyasu

Aaah the first Dev diary. A little short, but still an ok one. The idea of achievements is great, especially if some of them would try to lead you ( and the AI) on a more historic road.
    Question concerning screenshot: Germany in 1941 is having max supplies and max fuel stockpiles.
    Thats way unrealistic, will you balance this stuff out or do you let the modders try it? The same problem exists in Vanilla too btw.
    Greetings

200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    500k club

There's a concept I love Hopefully there'll be quite a few interesting choices to make regarding achievements.

"Grand Navy" sounds better than "Great Naval Army", doesn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Mip. View Post
    Question concerning screenshot: Germany in 1941 is having max supplies and max fuel stockpiles.
    Thats way unrealistic, will you balance this stuff out or do you let the modders try it? The same problem exists in Vanilla too btw.
    Greetings
    Germany in this screenshot has 3044 IC. I sort-of doubt the game behind the screenie was intended to be balanced
    "Mankind has only one science. It is the science of discontent." -- Count Hasimir Fenring
    The Führer Goes Nuts! (and he's contagious) - An utterly nonsensical HoI 3 AAR.
    Danse Macabre - A Victoria: Revolutions / Hearts of Iron III / World of Darkness crossover.
    Updates on both AARs resuming in May

Darkest HourEU3 CompleteFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIMagicka
    Semper FiVictoria 2

Can we mod them (add, remove and change some) ?

Quote Originally Posted by Lordban View Post

Germany in this screenshot has 3044 IC. I sort-of doubt the game behind the screenie was intended to be balanced
    Did not see that, my bad
    Though the problem with too much supplies/fuel exists in vanilla

It's a wonderful idea!

I'm wondering if "war exhaustion" will have some real effects now?

BTW what's that 3044 IC supposed to mean?

That looks quite interesting

But are there only nation-specific achievements or only global one´s(well I mean with " global" that also the minor can achieve them ;P), because I think a mix od both would be very nice ;P

Is there any chance this DD will get a 2nd picture with achievements?

How many of those achievements will be included in Semper Fi
    Quite affordable games-store
    Thread for expanded modding capabilities regarding EU IV -Opening technology-only modifers for all modifier-types

For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIISemper FiVictoria 2

Quote Originally Posted by Devildread View Post
    I'm sure these are very moddable.

Crusader Kings II

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lordban View Post
    The person taking the screenshot was cheating like mad so

Johan Andersson

"A patch is never late! Nor is it ever early. It arrives precisely when I mean it to do!"

Crusader Kings II

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Devildread View Post
    yes, fully scriptable.

Johan Andersson

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineMagickaMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengokuSupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandCK2: Holy Knight
    EU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event
    EUIV: Conquest of ParadiseCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham

Blog Entries
    Achievements sounds like a good addition!
    Fear not, for I am with you; Be not dismayed, for I am your God. -Isa 41:10

For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life. -John 3:16
    -------------------------------

My machine specs: i7 2600 @ 3.4 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, Radeon HD6870 with 1 GB RAM, Windows 7 64-bit

200k clubHoI AnthologyCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus Vult
    EU3 CompleteFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengoku
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisCK2: Holy Knight
    EU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Conquest of Paradise

Quote Originally Posted by Johan View Post
    The person taking the screenshot was cheating like mad so
    Couldn't beat the new AI otherwise?
    Shōgun ni naritai! Sword of the Samurai AAR

"It is because people's minds are not logical and enlightened that the Empire is in disorder. If the country is not properly ruled there will be no end to rebellions. And if anyone wishes to get the knowledge of how to rule it properly he will only find it in books. That is why the publication of books is the beginning of beneficient rule."

- Tokugawa Ieyasu

Quote Originally Posted by Mip. View Post
    Greetings
    I'm sure this is a just debugging cheat witch will not be integrated in the released version

It's hard to test things without cheating .

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast