• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(47028)

Field Marshal
Aug 1, 2005
Nie poddamy sie! (We Won't Surrender!) (Poland, 1936, 1.3v, normal lv.)

This is my second AAR. The first one is unfinished but I still do not give up and hope to find some more spare time and complete it one day.

I always liked defensive scenarios which could lead into an offensive one day. My greatest scenario was the Torch Operation in Panzer Generals (original), if anybody knows what I am talking about, playing Germans.

It is my third try playing Poland 1936 scenario. The first two I lost without even reaching November 1939. The first time, I overestimated a power of my Polish regular divisions and the second time, I underestimated an ability of German divisions to break through Level 3 fortifications.

I have learned from my mistakes and this time in 1936 – 1939, I am going to put more emphasis on fortifications and less on army building up.

Last edited:
I will probably start crying, as I just noticed Being Poland - A Worked Example AAR. Damn you, Kanitatlan! Just kidding ;) It is good at least you are using 1.4v.

Last edited:
Don't worry about Kanitatlan's AAR. You are writing your own AAR, in your own way, and playing your own game. As long as you write a good AAR that's all we care about :D

Good luck :)

1 January 1936 – 31 March 1938

All army was reorganised (headquarters disbanded) and redeployed around Warszawa in order to save supplies.

All production was allocated to building fortifications. Research was concentrated on production and research efficiency, and infantry development. Efficiency is very important because it speeds up production and research, and uses less precious resources while producing the same quantity of goods. Constant building also develops engineering and building experience which in turn increases efficiency too.

From the beginning of 1938, some production was allocated to building Factories and remaining was more and more efficiently used for improvement of the fortifications.

Last edited:
17 March 1938 – 19 March 1938 (Historical background)

Following failure of Polish attempt to overthrow Lithuanian government in 1919 and occupation of Vilnius in 1920, Lithuania broke of all diplomatic relations with Poland and refused any actions that would recognize Poland's control of Vilnius even de facto.

Poland delivered an ultimatum to Lithuania March 17, 1938. The ultimatum demanded that the Lithuanian government unconditionally agree to establish diplomatic relations with Warsaw within 48 hours, and that the terms be finalized before March 31. The establishment of diplomatic relations would mean a de facto renunciation of Lithuanian claims to the region containing its historic capital, Vilnius (known in Polish as Wilno).

Poland assembled about 50.000 Polish troops along the demarcation line facing 20.000 Lithuanian troops.

Lithuania, preferring peace to war, accepted the ultimatum on March 19. Although diplomatic relations were established as a result of the ultimatum, Lithuania did not agree to recognize the loss of Vilnius de jure.

The initial version of the ultimatum contained demand:

“Amend the Lithuanian constitution to acknowledge that Vilnius was no longer the capital of Lithuania.”

The demand was removed on 16 March 1938, but what if the demand was not removed and Lithuanian government would refuse re-establish diplomatic ties?

Last edited:
1 April 1938 – 19 April 1938

Following Lithuanian government’s refusal to submit to Polish demands, in order to secure its northern borders, Poland declared war.

HoI3InvasionLithuania.jpg

After several battles Kaunas was taken on 19 April 1938. The League of Nations negotiated a cease fire and Lithuanian government escaped to Klaipeda (Memel).

HoI3OccupationLithuania.jpg

Last edited:
If Poland had done this in OTL, there was no way Chamberlain and Daladier could have sold a DoW on their behalf to our peoples :)

The real reason behind this invasion was, of course, an opportunity to establish better economic and conscription laws. :rolleyes: I also started to train new officers, but kept 1 point for “production efficiency”.

This is the first time I went through this route. The war also delayed British invitation to join Allies. It is better to delay entry because during peace time minimal consumer production is 10% higher.

From the beginning of the game I used spies to lower my neutrality and raise Lithuanian threat. Since declaration of the war I have changed spies orders into the “increasing unity”. Level above 80 allows you to enable Heavy Industry Emphasis which increases production efficiency by 5%.

Last edited:
If Poland had done this in OTL, there was no way Chamberlain and Daladier could have sold a DoW on their behalf to our peoples :)

Those damn Lithuanians refused to negotiate and were ready to cooperate with Soviets and Germans. What else could we do? :)

Last edited:
In my previous game, I actually received permission from Lithuania to enter its territory. However, Soviets annexed Lithuania just a couple of hours before my troops could enter it :eek:

Production situation before the war with Lithuania

HoI3Production.jpg

Forts in the south Poland. They are already level 2. Level 3 are coming soon. Speed is increasing. So, even without Lithuania level 4-6 forts could be in at least 9-10 places.

HoI3Forts.jpg

20 April 1938 – 31 August 1939

After 9 months of negotiations pro-Polish government was appointed and a peace was signed. A Polish – Lithuanian alliance was established on 5 January 1939.

In April 1939 Poland joined Allies and in May German and Poland started negotiation regarding Danzig. The Great War was in the air and an upgrade of Polish troops began.

In between April 1938 and -September 1939, 9 new factories were built (15 from the game start) and fortifications were improved to 3-6 levels. Krinica fort was improved to level 7. Fortifications behind rivers – 3-4 level and fortifications in open or exposed to multiple directions to 5-6 level.

I have noticed a couple of problems with the game:

1. Germans demand Danzig on 1 May 1939. This could be dealt with by not responding in which case Germany declares war on 1 September 1939. I don’t like Winter War in summer too :)

2. Losing country does not accept “no lands exchanged” peace deal even when ALL victory points are lost. I didn’t want to puppet Lithuania, but it was “impossible”.

1 September 1939 – 1 November 1939

Germany declared a war at 8am on 1 September 1939.

Fortifications were mostly ready. Polish troops were approximately mobilised to 90% level.

HoI3FortifiedLine.jpg

Polish land forces were divided into two armies. The 1st Army was responsible for a Defence. All division, corps and army leaders were chosen according Defence skills (Polish army has plenty of them). The 2nd Army’s task was to take East Prussia. The best offensive leaders, including those who took part in Lithuanian campaign were to lead an assault.

Border units were to delay German invasion and give some precious time for the 1st Army to dig up.

HoI3Preparations.jpg

Danzig was decided to evacuate. Retreating troops should cross Vistula River and take defensive position. The 2nd Army should break through East Prussia defence line from the West and proceed further to Konigsberg.

HoI3EastPrussia.jpg