• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
In Vic1, the buying and selling of tech was pretty gamey IMHO. As a player I never used it. To give away tech to allies is another matter tough... ;)

What was gamey about it? The only gamey thing I remember of the negotiations was the land trick.

Trading some of the Vicky 1 techs though didnt make much sense, or did it? Selling private bank system always seemed wrong, as did most other economic techs. I hope they rethink the tech trading a bit. Selling single inventions in the weapons department might seem a good idea, but apart from that the state buying or exchanging them does not seem right. The tech system itself is ok as an abstraction of societal progress. Maybe instead of instant tech trading have some kind of research or economic treaties that allow for the study of technology in your country and sharing scientific information - giving the other country or both a boost to their RP generation in certain areas or decreasing the amount of needed RP points for a certain tech(group).

Everyone, just keep repeating,

It's a game not a simulation

:D
A point well taken, and one that repeatedly kept coming up when Vicky came out for the first time!
IMHO the ability to dance successfully along this knife edge is what will make the game succeed or fail.

Trading some of the Vicky 1 techs though didnt make much sense, or did it? Selling private bank system always seemed wrong, as did most other economic techs. I hope they rethink the tech trading a bit. Selling single inventions in the weapons department might seem a good idea, but apart from that the state buying or exchanging them does not seem right. The tech system itself is ok as an abstraction of societal progress. Maybe instead of instant tech trading have some kind of research or economic treaties that allow for the study of technology in your country and sharing scientific information - giving the other country or both a boost to their RP generation in certain areas or decreasing the amount of needed RP points for a certain tech(group).

why wrong ?

europe had tried to export banking systems to ottoman empire. ottoman's first bank, ottoman bank was set up by british.

it is quite logical to try to foster economic stimulation in a country you are trading with, so that prosperity will rise and you will be able to sell more goods and more expensive goods.

why wrong ?

europe had tried to export banking systems to ottoman empire. ottoman's first bank, ottoman bank was set up by british.

it is quite logical to try to foster economic stimulation in a country you are trading with, so that prosperity will rise and you will be able to sell more goods and more expensive goods.

Thats the point, it was a economic strategy to export ones system. It just does not realy fit well with the tech trading system.

It didn't make sense, but that doesn't mean it was gamey. To me, it felt as a subpar replacement to real technology spread like that of CK, but it was better than having no technology exchange at all.

What was gamey about it? The only gamey thing I remember of the negotiations was the land trick.

What more do you need? :D

Uh, oh, lets "give" the ai some tech in change for some land, and then use it against herself later. And by the way, shame one PD for making such an lousy ai...

Great fun... :rolleyes:

OTOH a mechanism for inherent tech spreading to avoid that someone gets to far behind in the tech race would be nice.

wasn't tech spreading one of the features of vici 2 anounced?

What more do you need? :D

Uh, oh, lets "give" the ai some tech in change for some land, and then use it against herself later. And by the way, shame one PD for making such an lousy ai...

Great fun... :rolleyes:

OTOH a mechanism for inherent tech spreading to avoid that someone gets to far behind in the tech race would be nice.

No, not that. The land trick is exchanging 2 provinces for 3.

Everyone, just keep repeating,

:D

Sorry for the nitpicking but the word “simulation” is not the opposite of the word “game”. The simulation is even a specific genre of video games. Simulation video game are obviously games. (confer http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simulation_video_game ).

The opposite of simulation game are arcade games (even if there are some games between that are not totally simulation neither arcade). Perhaps that the motto that you searched was : “It's an arcade game not a simulation game”.

It's difficult to imagine that Victoria will be an arcade game but at least it make more sense than the original sentence.

To conclude, we can say and repeat together that it's a game. That's for sure. ;)

Cheers

Sorry for the nitpicking but the word “simulation” is not the opposite of the word “game”. The simulation is even a specific genre of video games. Simulation video game are obviously games. (confer http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simulation_video_game ).

The opposite of simulation game are arcade games (even if there are some games between that are not totally simulation neither arcade). Perhaps that the motto that you searched was : “It's an arcade game not a simulation game”.

It's difficult to imagine that Victoria will be an arcade game but at least it make more sense than the original sentence.

To conclude, we can say and repeat together that it's a game. That's for sure. ;)

Cheers

He said "simulation" and not "simulation game" and you know what he meant.

He said "simulation" and not "simulation game" and you know what he meant.

A simulation game is both a game and a simulation. At last it try.

And Yes, I know what he meant, it's why I answered while I'm a sort of lurker those times. I really don't want to offence RELee (but I'm sure that I didn't), but I humbly say that I don't agree with this frequent idea : implying that a game (ie something fun and playable) could not really be a simulation (something that try to make thing the more real possible). It's exactly what try do make simulation game developers and some company do that with great success.

Other make non simulation game with success too. It's not a problem, it's a design choice. And Paradox have made an in-between choice, closer to the simulation than to the arcade genre.
But we should not oppose the concept of “simulation” with the concept of “game” to answers to peoples that ask a more complete/precise mechanism. They are not fools, they don't want some boring unplayable software. What they want is also a game. And what they ask is not incompatible with a game.

But it could be not possible/not wanted considering the development design and the resources of the game company.
The answers of King seem rational : “we don't have the resources to make a good enough negotiation IA to support this feature thus, game-wise it's better without”. We can all accept that.

Sorry again for the nitpicking. I know that it wasn't necessary. ;)

Last edited:
That samurai sure looks cool. :D

This diary didn't have as much meat in it as the couple last ones. Hopefully we'll get some more details about the tech system later on.

Good, this suggests multi-layered sprites
(or whatever the ones are called that change over time)

cool, will we have to buy them like hoi3?
:rolleyes: